As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    So Sega's releasing a bunch of free games that will only be available for 1-2 days. The people who were angry about 3D All Stars are going to have a conniption. At least they're free I guess.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Apparently Nintendo made one random, arbitrary change to an SMB1 level in Mario 35. Either intentionally or as a mistake when re-creating the levels from scratch?

UzBTNX6.png

Another thing I noticed was that when you go the wrong way in dungeons it immediately plays a sound effect to let you know you made a mistake, so next time around you can avoid that route. I am pretty sure this was not in the original.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    So Sega's releasing a bunch of free games that will only be available for 1-2 days. The people who were angry about 3D All Stars are going to have a conniption. At least they're free I guess.

therein lies the rub

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Apparently Nintendo made one random, arbitrary change to an SMB1 level in Mario 35. Either intentionally or as a mistake when re-creating the levels from scratch?

UzBTNX6.png

Another thing I noticed was that when you go the wrong way in dungeons it immediately plays a sound effect to let you know you made a mistake, so next time around you can avoid that route. I am pretty sure this was not in the original.

The dungeon puzzle sound effects definitely were not in the original SMB. I'm glad they were added in for SMB35 because the hell if I remember the right paths.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    This is the most important Switch news since its original release in early 2017:

sauvfbjbqslk.jpeg

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Now I'm wondering exactly how much "goddammit, Japan" that game is.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Now I'm wondering exactly how much "goddammit, Japan" that game is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzZqs6Hj8Ds

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Awww it's cute!

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Got a link? I can't find anything about it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

It's on Steam not Switch. But https://www.sega60th.com/

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Anyone run into any issues gifting Switch games with digital codes (from places like Amazon)? I wouldn't think there would be any issue since it would just be a matter of giving out the code, but its not well covered in the product page.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Anyone run into any issues gifting Switch games with digital codes (from places like Amazon)? I wouldn't think there would be any issue since it would just be a matter of giving out the code, but its not well covered in the product page.

I think digital codes are region locked, that's probably the only catch.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    urahonky wrote: »
    Awww it's cute!

too kawaii to die too sugoi to live

And the bunnies in it reminded me of a comic
    e1ha70uucksy.png

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

UzBTNX6.png

I thought there was an odd code rule where all the lines of bricks were either 3 or 6 away from the floor, which is consistent with the original. Definitely looks like an accident in recreating it.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

UzBTNX6.png
    This is an outrage, a slap in the face of true fans, Nintendo more like Failtendo, etc etc etc.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The puzzle sound effects were in All Stars, i believe

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I thought the sound played in the original but only after you got to the end of the incorrect route. Though I admit it's been a while since I played the NES version.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I thought the sound played in the original but only after you got to the end of the incorrect route. Though I admit it's been a while since I played the NES version.

I distinct remember a low-pitched buzzer sound when you went the wrong way and a ding when you went the right way, but can't be sure.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I thought there was an odd code rule where all the lines of bricks were either 3 or 6 away from the floor, which is consistent with the original. Definitely looks like an accident in recreating it.

I haven't read a breakdown of how the engine works, but that is completely believable. Everything was ultra-compressed, levels aren't stored like "and there is a block here, and a block here, and a question block here," it's all in shorthand. One single ID stands in for an entire pattern of bricks that can be reused later and palette swapped.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

I distinct remember a low-pitched buzzer sound when you went the wrong way and a ding when you went the right way, but can't be sure.

Doesn't seem like there were any indicators in the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBxcJBSFZtI

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    There were no indicator sounds in the original. It was very possible as a kid to lose several lives just to timeouts.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    The buzzer sounds were not in the original but were added in the Super Mario All-Stars version.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

UzBTNX6.png

The dungeon puzzle sound effects definitely were not in the original SMB. I'm glad they were added in for SMB35 because the hell if I remember the right paths.

They were added for, like, All-Stars or the Game Boy version or something. I know I've played with the DING hint sounds and I've never touched Mario 35.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Also just today the game's Switch 1 year anniversary event started which I think will mean some good rewards for playing?

It takes 1 to 3 hours to really get started and unlock everything in the menu so you can participate in events. Spend all your credits on upgrading your one single car, but save up all of the blue premium currency.

@UncleSporky , I was just doing my Asphalt 9 thing, but then was reminded of this post, so I thought I would respond, albeit a little late. Spending all your credits on one car is a BIG TRAP, because the different races require different cars, you have to update a bunch of them. The rule is, only update as much as you need to, to progress in the career tracks. Or if the upgrade cost is insignificant, obvsly.

And yeah, the 1-year anniversary event rewards are pretty juicy.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Also just today the game's Switch 1 year anniversary event started which I think will mean some good rewards for playing?

It takes 1 to 3 hours to really get started and unlock everything in the menu so you can participate in events. Spend all your credits on upgrading your one single car, but save up all of the blue premium currency.

@UncleSporky , I was just doing my Asphalt 9 thing, but then was reminded of this post, so I thought I would respond, albeit a little late. Spending all your credits on one car is a BIG TRAP, because the different races require different cars, you have to update a bunch of them. The rule is, only update as much as you need to, to progress in the career tracks. Or if the upgrade cost is insignificant, obvsly.

And yeah, the 1-year anniversary event rewards are pretty juicy.

Oh yeah, I meant that as more starting out advice. As a new player it's easy to not be sure what to spend the currencies on, and at the very start I found it beneficial to spend everything on the only car I had. Once the game opens up, yeah, I've needed to spread around the wealth. I'm at the point where I'm in a good club that is unlocking a lot of milestones and group events and making me rich, so I have 1.5 million saved up. I've got a number of cars that I'm just letting sit un-upgraded so I can upgrade them once a day for the daily credits.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    So I had been kind of obsessively watching reactions to Mario 3D All-Stars, partly because I was kind of fascinated about the "nostalgia factor", since I have NONE of my own for any of these games (remember, lifelong PC gamer, this is my first "real" console since the original NES). I still ended up buying it though, my first AAA purchase for the Switch.

So starting Mario 64, as you might expect, I was confronted with an old game with old controls, and it was a bit annoying sometimes. And then I went into the water levels and just HATED the controls, so terrible. But it was fun enough to pick up a few stars here and there, I played for a couple of hours... and then somehow I was at like 20 stars, and thinking ahead to the stars I would get next. I got all/most of the stars in the first couple of worlds, and they are already like real places in my brain that I can picture very clearly. It's kind of amazing.

For a comparison, I've recently noodled around with Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but Mario 64 honestly just holds up way better for me. OoT has a LOT of waiting and pauses with doors and chests and dialogue and stuff. But in M64, if you die BOOM tossed out of world BOOM jump back in. If you had talked to a boom bro to turn on the cannons, they will still be turned on even after you die. For the most part, only the red coins represent progress you can "lose" when dying, and there's exactly one per level, so no surprises there. The open-ended choice of which star to pursue feels very liberating, and stumbling over a totally different star is like a surprise present. I'm actually kind of excited, now, to play Mario Odyssey (which I did just pick up as well, though probably saving it for Xmas for the kids).

Only tried out Mario Sunshine, and man, it's a WEIRD Mario game. It's way less fast and technical, and way more "messy" and slower but also very pretty. It starts out with Mario arrested, jailed, convicted, and cleaning up the island as his community service?! I had no idea, it's kinda hilarious, and I can't help thinking that there's no WAY that Nintendo would allow it now.

I'm enjoying myself very much overall with my purchase, obviously.

jergarmar on
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    I'm 100% a Zelda fanboy but OoT does NOT hold up like Mario 64 does. I don't know why it is.

• Options
    https://store.nintendo.com/mario-kart-live-home-circuit-mario-set.html

Mario Kart Live Mario is up on Nintendo's store!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm 100% a Zelda fanboy but OoT does NOT hold up like Mario 64 does. I don't know why it is.

The sheer magnitude and scale of OoT was so different than most games at the time that we didn't really notice all of the technical limitations and shortcomings of the game. While the world is big, it's very empty. There's not a lot to do. Some of the smaller areas are more robust (the starting area for example), which helps to blur the emptiness when playing back in 98.

But all of these things are quite noticeable now, when not viewed through nostalgia glasses. It's still groundbreaking for it's time, but has fallen off due to the technical limitations of the era. A nice blueprint (although copied too many times) for future titles to work from.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited October 2020

It's probably an unfair comparison, it's fine (and should be expected) that some great "influential" games just don't end up being fun forever. I was just surprised that Mario 64 was as fun as it was. Oh yeah, and not just for me, my kids keep BEGGING me to play it, they love just watching it.

jergarmar on
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

I'm playing OoT for the first time on my gfs N64

.... it's frustrating, because I can see that there is an absolutely amazing game underneath the godawful controls.

• Options
    An actual remaster of it would be dope.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I think it's because Mario games are all about character control and play feel, which is why a lot of the games still feel good even in a modern sense.

• Options

I think it's because Mario games are all about character control and play feel, which is why a lot of the games still feel good even in a modern sense.

Yeah alot of Zelda is the environments and puzzles and stuff. Mario 64 just feels GOOD to play still which is half of the important features of a Platforming game.

• Options
    At the time it was such sacrilege that there wasn't a jump button, and you were just supposed to run to the edge of any platform to auto-jump. That was nuts.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    At the time it was such sacrilege that there wasn't a jump button, and you were just supposed to run to the edge of any platform to auto-jump. That was nuts.

That was weird, but I actually liked it. Randomly bounding all over the place felt weird and having prepositioned jump areas made the puzzle solving more of a primary focus.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

That was weird, but I actually liked it. Randomly bounding all over the place felt weird and having prepositioned jump areas made the puzzle solving more of a primary focus.

What's interesting is because of how jumping worked, you could slightly extend your jump by doing a roll into a ledge, thereby activating the jump a little later then normal. I remember this helped you get to some areas you weren't supposed to yet.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

It's on Steam not Switch. But https://www.sega60th.com/

The Switch prices are temporarily doubling. $120 per Switch version, even Sonic 3D.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    So I had been kind of obsessively watching reactions to Mario 3D All-Stars, partly because I was kind of fascinated about the "nostalgia factor", since I have NONE of my own for any of these games (remember, lifelong PC gamer, this is my first "real" console since the original NES). I still ended up buying it though, my first AAA purchase for the Switch.

So starting Mario 64, as you might expect, I was confronted with an old game with old controls, and it was a bit annoying sometimes. And then I went into the water levels and just HATED the controls, so terrible. But it was fun enough to pick up a few stars here and there, I played for a couple of hours... and then somehow I was at like 20 stars, and thinking ahead to the stars I would get next. I got all/most of the stars in the first couple of worlds, and they are already like real places in my brain that I can picture very clearly. It's kind of amazing.

For a comparison, I've recently noodled around with Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but Mario 64 honestly just holds up way better for me. OoT has a LOT of waiting and pauses with doors and chests and dialogue and stuff. But in M64, if you die BOOM tossed out of world BOOM jump back in. If you had talked to a boom bro to turn on the cannons, they will still be turned on even after you die. For the most part, only the red coins represent progress you can "lose" when dying, and there's exactly one per level, so no surprises there. The open-ended choice of which star to pursue feels very liberating, and stumbling over a totally different star is like a surprise present. I'm actually kind of excited, now, to play Mario Odyssey (which I did just pick up as well, though probably saving it for Xmas for the kids).

Only tried out Mario Sunshine, and man, it's a WEIRD Mario game. It's way less fast and technical, and way more "messy" and slower but also very pretty. It starts out with Mario arrested, jailed, convicted, and cleaning up the island as his community service?! I had no idea, it's kinda hilarious, and I can't help thinking that there's no WAY that Nintendo would allow it now.

I'm enjoying myself very much overall with my purchase, obviously.

Sunshine is kind of an odd duck. In a lot of ways it shares way more DNA with Odyssey than pretty much any other Mario game.

Steam ID: Right here.