As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter Thread 7

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    What a fun conversation

Man I gotta figure out who at the county is doing all this wealth extraction and get in on that

Well

It is the systemic function of capitalism.

See for example: The massive amount of wage theft that occurs in the US.

Or how our tax revenue is spent such that, instead of providing for the worst off among us, let alone the whole populace of the country, it instead goes to fund endeavors that funnel money into the upper classes by and large (or weapons whose ultimate purpose is to take millions of dollars in time and resources and explode the result).

So I guess to “get in on that” the answer is: ingratiate yourself to the capitalist class in some manner that you would, eventually, be welcomed in as one of them. Mind you the cost is, you know, your soul and the occasional holiday visit by ghosts but are those really that bothersome to deal with?

You do know that most government expenditure is literally welfare spending, right? Like it's not even close, whether you're looking at the federal, state, or local level.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    What a fun conversation

Man I gotta figure out who at the county is doing all this wealth extraction and get in on that

Well

It is the systemic function of capitalism.

See for example: The massive amount of wage theft that occurs in the US.

Or how our tax revenue is spent such that, instead of providing for the worst off among us, let alone the whole populace of the country, it instead goes to fund endeavors that funnel money into the upper classes by and large (or weapons whose ultimate purpose is to take millions of dollars in time and resources and explode the result).

So I guess to “get in on that” the answer is: ingratiate yourself to the capitalist class in some manner that you would, eventually, be welcomed in as one of them. Mind you the cost is, you know, your soul and the occasional holiday visit by ghosts but are those really that bothersome to deal with?

You do know that most government expenditure is literally welfare spending, right? Like it's not even close, whether you're looking at the federal, state, or local level.

Only if you count Social Security and Medicare as welfare spending, which no one outside the propaganda of the America right would. Most nations certainly wouldn’t count a pension plan and senior healthcare subsidy as welfare, especially when both require mandatory payments from workers to qualify and peg the amount of the benefit on the working salary of the recipient.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2020
    This might seem targeted but it's really meant as general advice: if you start a post with "you do realize" then you should rewrite the whole thing.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Also, one of the revelations from the events that kicked off this whole series of threads is that most local governments spend the overwhelming majority of their budgets on law enforcement.

State governments biggest expenditures are for education. Once again, you have to adopt some
    pretty hard right framing to classify K-12 and higher ed spending as “welfare.”

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    wait why aren't those things welfare. asking this from the perspective that welfare is good and we should do more of it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Also, one of the revelations from the events that kicked off this whole series of threads is that most local governments spend the overwhelming majority of their budgets on law enforcement.

State governments biggest expenditures are for education. Once again, you have to adopt some
    pretty hard right framing to classify K-12 and higher ed spending as “welfare.”

State governments biggest expenditures involve welfare spending. Quite a lot of local governments are school districts that by definition spend money on education, which I suppose was my mistake to consider as part of welfare spending. Including social security and medicare isn't a "hard right" framing given that they're funded mostly by current tax revenues (as evidenced by the depleting trust fund).

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Im hearing that Congress got back together to discuss increasing the relief payout and decided not to.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Im hearing that Congress got back together to discuss increasing the relief payout and decided not to.

My understanding was that the house only called a up-down vote on the $2k payment amendment, which is killed when anyone objects to it. There will be another actual vote Monday supposedly.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Pelosi put forth a change to the stimulus to $2000 and sought to have it pass via unanimous consent today, but one R dork wanted his moment in the sun and contested it.

Which means it'll come up for a full House, roll call vote when they reconvene in Chambers on Monday. Odds are it'll pass then and be sent onto the Senate when they reseat on Tuesday.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Also kind of noticed how you went to the tax portion of my post to sidestep, you know, the point about how much of the wealth produced in America is collected into the fewest possible hands instead of being shared by the workers who produce it, a wealth gap that is becoming more and more stark as the years go by

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    it continues to floor me how little work members of congress actually do. not one of them deserves to be home for christmas

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Also kind of noticed how you went to the tax portion of my post to sidestep, you know, the point about how much of the wealth produced in America is collected into the fewest possible hands instead of being shared by the workers who produce it, a wealth gap that is becoming more and more stark as the years go by

yeah, inequality is happening and becoming worse

my problem is with calling people in government wealth extractors as, ya know, a person that works in government

• Options
    I suppose this might come as a shock, but 99.9% of the people working at your local county or city or school district are definitely not part of the capitalist class

• Options
    edited December 2020

yeah, inequality is happening and becoming worse

my problem is with calling people in government wealth extractors as, ya know, a person that works in government

Are you actually designing, passing or executing and personally benefiting from policy that entrenches or widens said inequality?

Because if not, no, we aren’t talking about working class government employees. We’re talking about the politicians, advisors, think tank upper ranks, and media punditry and capitalist class members that are actually the ones who actually wield and operate those levers of power.

English is fun in its heavy interplay of vagaries and context that way

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Is the problem here seriously “hey, *I* work in government.... but I’m not one of those wealth extractors! How could they say that about me!”

Is that what just happened?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    -Tal wrote: »
    wait why aren't those things welfare. asking this from the perspective that welfare is good and we should do more of it

While some get more than they pay in, American pension and senior healthcare programs are explicitly designed as not to to be government support for the poor. They are part of the earned compensation packages that people pay for with explicit withdrawals from every paycheck or as required payments for non-payroll earners.

That is a conscious decision in their design. The New Deal planners knew that any form of giveaway would be whittled away and demonized by the GOP, so they made it a mandatory compensation that most workers would have paid into and would resent losing when they needed it.

This is why the GOP is always trying to trick Democrats into dismantling or weakening the programs. They get what they want, and then run ads about how the Dems are stealing Americans money to give to the poor or foreigners.

So when you read that Joe Biden keeps falling for that trick, it gives you a sense of what kind of politician he is - either a fool or a traitor to his party.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    sarukun wrote: »
    Is the problem here seriously “hey, *I* work in government.... but I’m not one of those wealth extractors! How could they say that about me!”

Is that what just happened?

I honestly misread “county” as country at first so I was even more confused, not realizing Oghulk thought my post was about rank and filers instead of, you know, folks with actual power over the lives of millions.

I’m still not sure how this happened given the conversation was about how Larry Summers sucks

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I suppose this might come as a shock, but 99.9% of the people working at your local county or city or school district are definitely not part of the capitalist class

You don’t need to talk down to people. We know that the local teacher isn’t an oil baron.

Doesn’t change the fact that the government of the United States is uniquely shitty when compared to other modern democracies.

• Options
    edited December 2020

You don’t need to talk down to people. We know that the local teacher isn’t an oil baron.

Doesn’t change the fact that the government of the United States is uniquely shitty when compared to other modern democracies.
    I THINK Oghulk’s no longer confused, going by him awesoming my post.

Also I am legit curious to measure the shittiness of the US and other countries and how much that descends from being either former empires or colonial projects of empires that opted to take the reins for themselves.

Cause gonna guess the US’s issues stem heavily from our inability to reckon with our start as a colonial project and how our revolution never disassembled those power structures, but merely entrenched them and bent them to the local colonial Aristocracy instead of our initial European aristocratic overlords

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular

forget modern democracies, it's uniquely shitty compared to a lot of autocratic states too

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Yup, misunderstood what was meant by "anyone in government"

Anyways I'm a curmudgeon and hate Christmas bahhumbug

• Options

Also I am legit curious to measure the shittiness of the US and other countries and how much that descends from being either former empires or colonial projects of empires that opted to take the reins for themselves.

Cause gonna guess the US’s issues stem heavily from our inability to reckon with our start as a colonial project and how our revolution never disassembled those power structures, but merely entrenched them and bent them to the local colonial Aristocracy instead of our initial European aristocratic overlords

The centuries of slavery, genocide, aggressive expansion, white supremacy, brutal capitalism, and unchecked militarism that followed probably didn’t help.

• Options

The centuries of slavery, genocide, aggressive expansion, white supremacy, brutal capitalism, and unchecked militarism that followed probably didn’t help.

Is there a colonialism that doesn’t involve all those?

Figured that was just the package deal for colonialism

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

Colonies are not bad, its when someone is already living there that you get colonialism.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular

Colonies are not bad, its when someone is already living there that you get colonialism.

the people already living there is one of the big draws of colonialism and a main reason why the system was invented in the first place. exploiting natural resources is only half of the equation, equally important is the local population you can draw from for slave labor and enforcement of your will

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    It always amazes me at just how damning with faint praise it is to say "Biden is the most progressive president ever."

I doubt Biden even knows half the progressive policies he's supposed to have run on.

That's extremely rude and bad faith. Haven't you read Biden's website? He's clearly committed to progressive values, i don't know how he's supposed to convince you of that when you don't believe him when he says over and over again that he's going to fight for--

ww28er0amoxw.png

• Options

Most colonial powers did pretend to be about uplifting their subjects and looking forward to the day they could be civilized citizens, including putting subject peoples in administrative and leadership positions for appearance sake. It was bullshit to paper over the genocide and exploitation of resources, but the U.S. didn’t even do that.

We just busted in, put white men in power, and killed anyone who objected or was just in the way. Like, it is more than a little weird even in the colonial sense that Hawaii didn’t have a native U.S. senator until 1990 and California JUST got its first Hispanic Senator.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    It always amazes me at just how damning with faint praise it is to say "Biden is the most progressive president ever."

I doubt Biden even knows half the progressive policies he's supposed to have run on.

That's extremely rude and bad faith. Haven't you read Biden's website? He's clearly committed to progressive values, i don't know how he's supposed to convince you of that when you don't believe him when he says over and over again that he's going to fight for--

ww28er0amoxw.png

Biden is absolutely going to catch a legit primary challenger

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

ww28er0amoxw.png

Biden ain’t going for two. Harris is gonna catch that challenger for sure though. Has there been a president who so thoroughly disappointed before he even made it to office?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

ww28er0amoxw.png

Biden ain’t going for two. Harris is gonna catch that challenger for sure though. Has there been a president who so thoroughly disappointed before he even made it to office?

There have been rumblings about him going for two terms.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Lot’s see if we can get a 90 year old in office, why not.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

ww28er0amoxw.png

I don't know we'd believe him about only wanting one term, considering he lies about fuckin everything else

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Yeah, just by listening to the leaked audio with the civil rights leaders he sounds like he has a fucking massive messiah complex now. When the country is demonstrably worse off in 4 years he's going to decide only he can "save the soul" of the country again, instead of reflecting on how almost everything is his fault.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Midnite wrote: »
    Yeah, just by listening to the leaked audio with the civil rights leaders he sounds like he has a fucking massive messiah complex now. When the country is demonstrably worse off in 4 years he's going to decide only he can "save the soul" of the country again, instead of reflecting on how almost everything is his fault.

Or he'll blame leftists/progressives.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Midnite wrote: »

Or he'll blame leftists/progressives.

It's definitely going to be this.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The Biden Administration will be the victim-blaming administration. I can't fucking wait.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Done.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    The Biden Administration will be the victim-blaming administration. I can't fucking wait.

I mean, they already did that with Tara Reade, BLM and progressives.

I see no reason to stop once he’s actually in office.

This discussion has been closed.