As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter Thread 7

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I do not think that Biden won’t run for president again because of his word. I don’t think he will because he’s an exhausted old man who barely has his faculties and is going to get so much hate in the next four years. Maybe we will run it back a third time but I’m choosing to bet “no”.

God I hope I’m right.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Being an exhausted old man who barely has their faculties didn't stop Reagan or Trump.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The only reason he ran in the first place is because Trump won in 2016; I don't think he'll seek a second term if he thinks things are back on the right track.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    The only reason he ran in the first place is because Trump won in 2016; I don't think he'll seek a second term if he thinks things are back on the right track.

...but that's exactly the problem folks are having with Biden. We don't trust him on him saying he only ran because of Trump OR that he won't seek a second term.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Well, let's not get crazy.

WHAT DOES HIS WEBSITE SAY???

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

...but that's exactly the problem folks are having with Biden. We don't trust him on him saying he only ran because of Trump OR that he won't seek a second term.
    I don't particularly care about what Biden said, it was very obvious Trump (and by extension, Obama's legacy) was the only reason Biden tossed his hat into the ring. He was perfectly happy before that letting Hillary do whatever while he got as much "Aviators Time" as he wanted.

I could see him maybe going for re-election if Trump gets back on his bullshit, but aside from that, I think it will be left up to Harris.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    biden is already older than most presidents were when they died

i already don't trust him, i especially won't if he runs again at fuckin 82 years old when climate change is coming for us

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    biden isn't gonna make it through a whole term, much less run again

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    ...Aaaaand we're back.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Current reading please hold me accountable for finishing it: https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/petr-kropotkin-mutual-aid-a-factor-of-evolution.pdf

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    https://sahanjournal.com/police/minneapolis-police-shooting-dolal-idd-family-home-bca/

I had a 10 hour anxiety attack posting this to Facebook out of fear that i would use the wrong words to describe the George floyd scenario and be pillored by black America.

I finally fell asleep after 22 hours or so

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    How about that graffiti on McConells and Pelosi’s house huh.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    You remember when like, the Daily Show would go on a break for a couple weeks in the Stewart Days, and then every fucking thing in DC would hit the fan?

The Holiday forum this year feels like that.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Climate change is not coming for us, it's here and has been here

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Tef wrote: »
    Current reading please hold me accountable for finishing it: https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/petr-kropotkin-mutual-aid-a-factor-of-evolution.pdf

i picked up and read Kropotkin's Anarchist Communism and it's also a good read

Lalabox on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Climate change is not coming for us, it's here and has been here

What is coming for us is the deadline to do something about it before it becomes too late and we go into a feedback loop that can't be stopped.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    If things get real bad Elon Musk will invent a climate reverser, it's fiiiiiiiiiiiiine

• Options
    Qq8Vrrn.jpg?1

hello again threadfellows

• Options
    edited January 2021
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I don't particularly care about what Biden said, it was very obvious Trump (and by extension, Obama's legacy) was the only reason Biden tossed his hat into the ring. He was perfectly happy before that letting Hillary do whatever while he got as much "Aviators Time" as he wanted.

I could see him maybe going for re-election if Trump gets back on his bullshit, but aside from that, I think it will be left up to Harris.

Him not running in 2016 to let Hillary have her turn has nothing to do with me thinking he would have run in 2020 regardless of the GOP nominee, other than the DNC establishment had decided it was Hillary's turn in 2016 and Biden's turn in 2020.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The ongoing brouhaha with Jimmy Dore and the Speaker vote is some of the most tedious left wing infighting Ive ever seen

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    The ongoing brouhaha with Jimmy Dore and the Speaker vote is some of the most tedious left wing infighting Ive ever seen

It's the most transparently performative bullshit I've seen in a while, yeah

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »

It's the most transparently performative bullshit I've seen in a while, yeah

Dore screaming that the Squad refuses to go on his podcast really gives away the plot

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    More like

Jimmy Bore 8-) 8-) 8-)

• Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular

What's going on? Just asking for a brief recap

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I just spent 5 mins googling this and from what I can tell this guy is mad that the squad voted for Pelosi for speaker. Is that right?

Like I get Pelosi sucks, but the only thing that's going to keep her from being Speaker is her retiring or the house going back to the Republicans.

It feels like kind of a nothing thing to get mad at?

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Jimmy Dore is a name I have only seen while briefly checking on the like, 2 American leftist Twitter accounts I still look at now and then, in the replies

I would have been happier not knowing he existed, since he seems to mostly exist to cause even more infighting than usual

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    dore is an asshole and the whole thing is really dumb, but one nice side effect of it is it's causing a lot of twitter bluechecks to show their true colors

• Options
    Ya I wasn't familiar with him at all, but going over his twitter it seems like he mainly exists to shout at people who don't agree with everything he says and call them fake progressives.

So cool guy

• Options
    Ursus wrote: »

So some people on the left wanted the Squad to use their weight to force a M4A vote in exchange for supporting Pelosi. At least on paper they could do this. The idea was basically the same as most symbolic votes and ymmv on how you see those.

The Reps in question responded basically with "its a good idea but we think our focus here is better spent on securing committee seats and such"

Enter Jimmy fucking Dore. He ranped the whole vote forcing thing to 11. Literally screaming at people in town halls zoom calls and stuff for even mild disagreeement. He's targeting Ocasio Cortez in particular. Trying to argue she's the same as every other fake progressive Democrat etc.

Seriously, he behaves completely unhinged and then accuses people of tone policing or whatever.

Anyway Dore is pretty transparently using it to boost his profile. He didnt even support Sanders in this election.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

he's been yelling for a few weeks now that "the squad" is too eager to play ball with establishment democrats and that they're basically selling out their principals

first he was mad that they weren't trying to force a floor vote on M4A, and now he's mad that they voted to confirm Pelosi for the Speakership

He's not like, as wrong as he could possibly be, but he's being as obnoxious about it as he can, and largely seems to be kicking up a fuss for attention more than anything, especially since both of his major grievances would be largely symbolic moves. You could argue that they're symbolic moves that should be made, but there's more nuance to it than he's allowing for.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Dore's horse in the dem primary was Tulsi Gabbard of all people, and as stated previously, his stated way for The Squad(tm) to prove that they're Real Leftists(also tm) is to go on his podcast

AOC and Co. absolutely have flaws that deserve criticism and seemingly folding on M4A is a huge one, but Jimmy Dore is 100% a grifter

• Options
    Forcing a m4a vote vs focusing on committee seats is a valid argument with merit on both sides but he's not interested in that

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Dore is a fucking grifter. He's the left's version of Tim Pool; a two-bit youtube conman. And a Syrian war-crimes denier who was payed by the Assad regime to call pictures of children killed in gas attacks fake.

• Options
    Dore's horse in the dem primary was Tulsi Gabbard of all people, and as stated previously, his stated way for The Squad(tm) to prove that they're Real Leftists(also tm) is to go on his podcast

AOC and Co. absolutely have flaws that deserve criticism and seemingly folding on M4A is a huge one, but Jimmy Dore is 100% a grifter

That's all I need to hear to know I can ignore him.

• Options

So some people on the left wanted the Squad to use their weight to force a M4A vote in exchange for supporting Pelosi. At least on paper they could do this. The idea was basically the same as most symbolic votes and ymmv on how you see those.

The Reps in question responded basically with "its a good idea but we think our focus here is better spent on securing committee seats and such"

Enter Jimmy fucking Dore. He ranped the whole vote forcing thing to 11. Literally screaming at people in town halls zoom calls and stuff for even mild disagreeement. He's targeting Ocasio Cortez in particular. Trying to argue she's the same as every other fake progressive Democrat etc.

Seriously, he behaves completely unhinged and then accuses people of tone policing or whatever.

Anyway Dore is pretty transparently using it to boost his profile. He didnt even support Sanders in this election.

i don't really have any skin in this game because electoralism, but AOC's reasoning in that one twitter thread rings pretty hollow when like two days later she got passed over for that committee gig in favor of someone who threatened pelosi during the last speaker vote

• Options

i don't really have any skin in this game because electoralism, but AOC's reasoning in that one twitter thread rings pretty hollow when like two days later she got passed over for that committee gig in favor of someone who threatened pelosi during the last speaker vote

Eh she got out maneuvered internally and that really fucking sucks but Im not losing any sleep over the lack of a m4a vote here. A symbolic vote has its value, but the stakes are extremely low there.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    My mom fucking loves Jimmy Dore

Which on the scale of political commentators a parent listens to is pretty low on the badness scale, but by god it’s frustrating

I don’t even think Dore is an entirely compromised individual, he clearly gives a shit about healthcare and corruption and he’s stopped asking for memberships or money since the pandemic began (and frankly I find the cries of “Assadist” to be baffling whenever they’re leveled at anyone, like what the fuck does that even mean)

But he is, without question, one of the most irritatingly smug, sanctimonious, self-righteous sons of bitches you’ll ever hear

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular

I see. Thanks for the explanation! It's nice to get an actual answer and not the usual version of "let me Google that for you".

Now these committee seats are the ones were Pelosi and the conservadems just shut all lefties out of yeah?

• Options

I see. Thanks for the explanation! It's nice to get an actual answer and not the usual version of "let me Google that for you".

Now these committee seats are the ones were Pelosi and the conservadems just shut all lefties out of yeah?

AOC got kept off of a committee on energy and climate due to some maneuvering by conservative dems. Im not sure off the top of my head how its shaken out otherwise.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The whole angle, by the way, was to use leverage by denying votes for Pelosi for house speaker because the vote was close enough for that to matter, and force her to put a vote for M4A on the house floor

Not to actually get it, but to reveal who would actually support it and who wouldn’t, and use that vote as an issue to run against them in the future

It’s not the worst idea, voting against universal healthcare during a pandemic is something you could hang over anyone’s head, and the committee seats thing does feel a bit like ladder-climbing and self-interest versus taking even a token action

But I have to admit I’m biased against it because it’s being proposed and fronted for by someone I find completely insufferable

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.