Options

[Solasta] 5e Tactical Adventures fully released on Steam and Gamepass

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Not having low-light vision is like super hard mode. I had a bunch of lights but the enemy was between two rocks and somehow that made him totally unlit. I guess the dungeon is made out of 100% black unobtainium that just doesn't reflect any light.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Really loving what I've played so far but holy wow story and dialogue is so not Tactical Adventures' strong suit. The voiced dialogue scenes are pretty rough.

The solid gameplay makes up for a lot of it though. Playing a Battle domain Cleric, a two-handed Spellblade fighter, the poison-y, climb-y Rogue, and a Green mage.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I dunno, I feel like it has a fun charm to it. Like I'm playing a homebrew D&D campaign. I haven't been nearly as annoyed by the writing as I was expecting to be

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Some of these random encounters aren't kidding with you. Just got absolutely murdered by a caster and two warriors in full plate who were attacking both thrice per round when my party was lvl 3. My first game over even though I burned through all of my spells. Seeing three flame bolts all miss is always fun - I think I had 2-3 rounds in a row where all my attacks missed them. AC 21 or so.

Also bought a darkvision ring for my stupid, stumbling in the dark human cleric. Shouldn't have made a human in the first place I guess but at least that fixes that.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Alright, been mostly loving this despite some complaints up until this undead keep. This place is really good at draining my will to keep on playing, though. First a boss fight that I don't seem to be even close to winning, the enemy regens almost as much damage as I can do if all I do is damage, but eventually I have to heal or deal with her minions and then she just heals back to full. Small room, no space to maneuver and just plain not fun in any way. Especially since she spams AE debuffs as well and is resistant to the damage types I can deal. Somehow she isn't even vulnerable to radiant damage despite being undead.

Eventually after trying twice to fight her with pitiful results I win the fight by spamming save & load and persuasion so I can skip the whole damn thing, only to end up in a maze full of cryptic arrow markings, locked doors and pressure plates. I fucking hate that shit. I have no idea why developers keep on adding mazes, only thing they are good at is making people mad.

Rant over. I guess I'll eventually check a walkthrough or something and muddle through the maze but if it leads to a tiny room with a super-hard boss fight I'm done.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    She is tough. Definitely hardest encounter in the game so far for me.
    she is a vampire and you likely do not have enough DPR to drop her through her regen and bite regen. However she is sunlight sensitive. So if you open up the boarded windows and let the light in (or cast daylight*) she will have disadvantage on attacks in that area and take 10 dmg/rnd rather than regening which is 20 hp/round swing plus disadvantage. Plus the fight is pretty close to 100% avoidable I think (you lose out on the loot but still get XP)

*though due to a bug you might want to hold onto daylight. I don’t think daylight prevents darkness being cast in the area but I do think it properly counters her darkness if she casts it

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Goumindong wrote: »
    she is a vampire and you likely do not have enough DPR to drop her through her regen and bite regen. However she is sunlight sensitive. So if you open up the boarded windows and let the light in (or cast daylight*) she will have disadvantage on attacks in that area and take 10 dmg/rnd rather than regening which is 20 hp/round swing plus disadvantage. Plus the fight is pretty close to 100% avoidable I think (you lose out on the loot but still get XP)

*though due to a bug you might want to hold onto daylight. I don’t think daylight prevents darkness being cast in the area but I do think it properly counters her darkness if she casts it
    I had the bright idea to blow up the boarded up windows myself... until I did so and it turned out it was nighttime outside, so there was no light to let in.

The fight is really shitty though; her sheer number of actions coupled with her insanely high attack bonuses shred even my tankiest characters. Her Legendary Resistance making her essentially immune to status effects doesn't help much either.

Edit: I managed to win through pure cheese. Rested until daylight, passed her persuasion check to let me maneuver my party as I pleased, pre-broke the windows, kept everyone in stealth until she turned hostile but before detecting my party, and unloaded everything I had on her in the surprise round. I got her down to 4 HP before she auto-cast her dark veil on her first non-surprise turn and then regained 8 HP on a successful hit, but having my Cleric burn a third level spell slot for Magic Missile sealed the deal.

Also as a general fun tip for anyone who wants to roll with a Spellblade: using a two-hander with the associated fighting style means that as long as you have that weapon, ALL 1s and 2s you roll get auto-rerolled, including for your spells. I don't know if this is intended or an oversight, but giving my Spellblade a virtual guarantee to do decent damage with a cantrip or Magic Missile is very nice.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »

I had the bright idea to blow up the boarded up windows myself... until I did so and it turned out it was nighttime outside, so there was no light to let in.

The fight is really shitty though; her sheer number of actions coupled with her insanely high attack bonuses shred even my tankiest characters. Her Legendary Resistance making her essentially immune to status effects doesn't help much either.

Edit: I managed to win through pure cheese. Rested until daylight, passed her persuasion check to let me maneuver my party as I pleased, pre-broke the windows, kept everyone in stealth until she turned hostile but before detecting my party, and unloaded everything I had on her in the surprise round. I got her down to 4 HP before she auto-cast her dark veil on her first non-surprise turn and then regained 8 HP on a successful hit, but having my Cleric burn a third level spell slot for Magic Missile sealed the deal.

Also as a general fun tip for anyone who wants to roll with a Spellblade: using a two-hander with the associated fighting style means that as long as you have that weapon, ALL 1s and 2s you roll get auto-rerolled, including for your spells. I don't know if this is intended or an oversight, but giving my Spellblade a virtual guarantee to do decent damage with a cantrip or Magic Missile is very nice.

That is not intended I don’t think

Also worth noting that you don’t get XP for killing her if you passed the speech. So you could have just left and ignored the loot. (Which is OK. There is plenty of loot in the game as far as I can tell even if the loot for that fight is relatively good). Also note that anything short of a TPK you are probably fine because there is a large amount of revivify available.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    She took me 5 tries...
    I fireballed her twice ignoring the minions, daylight spell AFTER she cast darkness and I had her illumiated. 2 or 3 lucky crits with Radiant Damage and some Ranger Shenenigans. Deffo a tough fight. Still took me 5 reloads. The loot is worth is though imo, my ranger got a very nice frost greatsword crafted.

As for the maze after I found it refreshing to think a bit and not throw Fireballs around all day, all according to taste I guess.

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    I've completely turned around on my opinion of the writing and voice acting. The writing is really charming at times and some of the banter has gotten some solid laughs out of me. The voice acting is still pretty bad (a major NPC who follows you around a while has gotten at least four different pronunciations of their name so far), but it's that "so bad it's good" level.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm only a couple hours in (I'm not even done that first location), but I'm loving this. This is basically how I've wanted every D&D-based game to play. I wish I had access to all the classes and subclasses from the PnP game, but understand why that won't happen.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Hopefully Tactical Adventures makes enough out of this to license DND 5 proper for a new game.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Hopefully Tactical Adventures makes enough out of this to license DND 5 proper for a new game.

Well the issue with all the classes (not even the subclasses) is that they don’t have a huge team and so more or less have to have everyone on something else besides making more classes. I think the team is 11 people total?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Hotfix Released:

Deets in spoiler: One deet not in spoiler since its an ongoing issue and is in bold and is important

Do not equip the Orc Javelin, Orc Shortbow or Ogre Javelin - saving while having one of these item equipped will corrupt the save, preventing you from loading it later. These corrupted saves will be fixed in a future patch.
    Known Issues (that we're working on)
    Do not equip the Orc Javelin, Orc Shortbow or Ogre Javelin - saving while having one of these item equipped will corrupt the save, preventing you from loading it later. These corrupted saves will be fixed in a future patch.
    Beards are not always properly affixed to the characters' face
    If you're playing from an Early Access save, Bring the Sword back to Merton has a bugged cutscene that prevents you from completing it
    Some people have a black screen / weird clouds when starting a new campaign. Workaround here
    The Landing Plaza in Caer Cyflen has some new decoration that it shouldn't have

Major Fixes
    Fixed a "white dice" appearing when attacking multiple times too quickly
    Dungeon Maker: You can now add a Thumbnail to your Custom Dungeon when uploading them by having a .png or .jpg file with the same name than that of your dungeon in the custom dungeon folder.
    Fixed AI sometimes using a bonus action to do an additional main action attack instead. AI be cheating. DM does not approve.
    Fixed an issue with the Arena Quest where the door could get stuck, blocking quest progression
    Fixed magic items crafted or bought from vendors sometimes not being identified. Mystery potion! Gotta love them!
    Crafting Tooltip now displays the crafted item tooltip even if missing the ingredients
    Fixed some issues with Chinese Localization
    Fixed some long duration AoE spells not being visible when cast directly on a character
    All in-game backer items are now identified by default
    Fixed 6 League Boots incorrectly doubling your movement speed instead of giving you an additional cell of movement
    Fixed Dwarven Bread not being equippable. Get that +1 CON Bonus!
    Fixed Early Bird not working properly. It showed the initiative bonus but it didn't give any. What a scam
    Fixed Cog of Cohh not properly giving +2 CHA
    Re-added a missing cutscene in Halman's House
    Counterspell can now correctly fail when targeting spells above level 3
    Fixed Acid Arrow "acidified" condition sometimes being removed too early
    Added Arrow parts to Gorim's Store
    Fixed a HUGE missing component of the end game fight. Really huge. Like, physically huge.

Minor Fixes
    Fixed female halfling animations going banana and clipping all over the place
    Fixed Flying Snakes and Fire Osprey moving multiple times after attacking for no particular reason
    Fixed Ray of Enfeeblement projectile moving super slowly
    Fixed Strike of Oblivion color to match Necrotic damage
    Fixed missing VFX & Light on Sacred Weapon
    Added a Dodge animation to Eagle Matriarchs
    Changed Crossbow Bolt icons to avoid mistaking them with Arrows
    Added an Idle animation in combat to Ghasts
    Fixed a certain Schrödinger boss incorrectly being displayed as both dead and alive after loading a save
    Fixed a lighting issue on the Character Portrait & Inventory
    Fixed an error that could trigger at the end of the Lowlife Background QUest
    Tome of All Things is now a Quest Item
    Added a missing quest marker to a certain mansion
    Fixed attack animation while flying
    Fixed Pheromone duration being incorrectly calculated after loading a save
    Fixed a tooltip issue when hovering above the Armor Class value
    Updated Maul icon
    Fixed characters shadows sometimes missing in some cutscenes
    Fixed an error that would trigger in Caer Lem if no one can read Ancient Tirmarian (should have paid attention in class)
    Fixed some lipsync issues
    Fixed some doors not being placed in their correct spot
    Fixed a certain backer document not displaying the proper content
    Fixed some pathfinding issue in a certain quest late game
    Monsters in one specific fight are now immune to lightning. Because teamkilling half of your minions isn't a particular wise move
    Fixed one haircut magically hovering above the character's head
    Fixed missing quest marker not appearing in the Spy Background Quest
    Added missing waypoints to Gallivan & New Empire Embassies
    Cleaned up some spell tooltips that displayed unnecessary / wrong information
    Revivy & Raise Dead tooltip no longer show "Unknown Effect". We all know what it does. Unknown my butt
    Fixed Skybox missing in Monastery
    Half Plate +1 now correctly has Stealth Disadvantage
    Fixed Mage Armor not being castable more than once
    Traps no longer trigger when the attempt to disarm them fail in the Dungeon Maker
    Fixed Armor of Survival tooltip not appearing
    Fixed an issue where buying back scrolls from merchants could cause a crash[/quote]

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    For a strength based spellblade, is there a reason to go with something other than Great Weapon Fighting?

• Options
    +1 AC (armored) is always good.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I dunno, I feel like it has a fun charm to it. Like I'm playing a homebrew D&D campaign. I haven't been nearly as annoyed by the writing as I was expecting to be

This has been my view on it. It's cheesy in a nice, homey way.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    For a strength based spellblade, is there a reason to go with something other than Great Weapon Fighting?

Worth considering the dueling fighting style. Dueling gives you +2 damage with a one-handed weapon, while still letting you use a shield. A 1d8 longsword with a +2 bonus is the same average damage (7) as a greatsword, and you still get the +2 shield AC.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

Worth considering the dueling fighting style. Dueling gives you +2 damage with a one-handed weapon, while still letting you use a shield. A 1d8 longsword with a +2 bonus is the same average damage (7) as a greatsword, and you still get the +2 shield AC.

The downside is not being able to cast spells while holding a shield until level 7 (unless you turn that off in the options).

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I love the party and interaction UI, but crashing out in battles. Will probably come back to this in a month or two

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

The downside is not being able to cast spells while holding a shield until level 7 (unless you turn that off in the options).

Ah, I see. I haven't played Solasta in quite a while now, but in PnP, even if you don't have any other way to circumvent it (like the war caster feat) you can just sheathe your sword and cast your spell. Next round, draw your sword again and carry on. Will Solasta not let you do this?

Edit: although I guess that wouldn't help you with something reactionary like the Shield spell. Ah well.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

Ah, I see. I haven't played Solasta in quite a while now, but in PnP, even if you don't have any other way to circumvent it (like the war caster feat) you can just sheathe your sword and cast your spell. Next round, draw your sword again and carry on. Will Solasta not let you do this?

Edit: although I guess that wouldn't help you with something reactionary like the Shield spell. Ah well.

You can do this. You can even (currently) just take the shield off so long as you have it on your quick weapon bar as an option (there are, iirc, currently some issues with how the quick weapon bar operates but this is neither here nor there)

But its lame and you should definitely not do it because i personally am biased against these options. Just use the two hander or versatile weapon.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    So
    the second vampire fight was hilariously easy. I was level 7 by then so the cleric dropped daylight and the wizard dropped black tentacles and the ranger dropped silence... and he failed his save Vs the tentacles and just sat eating dmg[/quote]

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Battle Cleric's seem pretty stacked, huh.

Also, is there any particular reason a 2-hander Ranger wouldn't work?

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Is this worth getting and playing if I loved BG1 and BG2? Realize the combat system is completely different, but same feel?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm having trouble with flying. I want to just fly my wizard up the way certain enemies do, but I can't figure out a way to do that. Some googling tells me there should be a plane button somewhere, but I can't find such a thing. Anyone able to help?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Is this worth getting and playing if I loved BG1 and BG2? Realize the combat system is completely different, but same feel?
    It's closer to IWD and IWD2 than the BG series.

• Options
    I'm having trouble with flying. I want to just fly my wizard up the way certain enemies do, but I can't figure out a way to do that. Some googling tells me there should be a plane button somewhere, but I can't find such a thing. Anyone able to help?

Shift, it’s still finicky.

2 hander ranger is the ideal ranger due to having loads of bonus actions taken up by spells.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular

My party is a battle cleric, a life cleric, a wizard scholar and a 2h Ranger.
    The ranger is utterly insane in his damage output.

causality.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Enjoying this, but there seem to be alot of bugs with feats, stuff dying/getting stuck in walls, and some real problems with the RNG - or, all the dice I have destroyed in the past have returned as digital ghosts in this game.

But enjoyable.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    This looks good! Think I'm going to wait for some updates and mods, though. I appreciate that they focused on level 1-10 rather than trying to fit all 20 levels in one chunk.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    This looks good! Think I'm going to wait for some updates and mods, though. I appreciate that they focused on level 1-10 rather than trying to fit all 20 levels in one chunk.

Me too, but I always vastly preferred 'lower' level AD&D vs mid teens and up.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I installed this last night, as I'm hankering for a old style RPG.

Spent an hour making a party, and started the game.

I guess I'm playing this for the next month, as I loved what I saw, and I'm really in the mood for some turn based combat.

I might restart and change my rogue to a ranger, though, I can't decide.

If I give my ranger the lowborn background, can I get lockpicks from the start ?

• Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I installed this last night, as I'm hankering for a old style RPG.

Spent an hour making a party, and started the game.

I guess I'm playing this for the next month, as I loved what I saw, and I'm really in the mood for some turn based combat.

I might restart and change my rogue to a ranger, though, I can't decide.

If I give my ranger the lowborn background, can I get lockpicks from the start ?

Actually, I think I'll have to restart, and redo my skills and you need three specific perks to be able to craft. I can't craft poisons, for example, because I don't have the doctor perk.

Time to get out a pen and notepad...

• Options
    You do get lock picks from lowborn yes

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Did I just break the game by being a ranger and bow attack on the rogue tutorial mission? Shot the Loan Shark, he didn't find me, game is just stuck looking at everyone now. Let's see if a reload fixes it. And it seems the entire game is locked up... restarting it and 1 shoting him this time went smoothly. Hopefully that's not a common thing.

• Options
    Never had that happen before to me and i have ranged shot the loan shark before so not sure

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I fiiiinally got around to playing this, been in my library since EA I think?

It's got its hooks in me. It's very fun....

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Now is a good time to be playing if you’re a fan of turn-based RPGs. :)

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    I fiiiinally got around to playing this, been in my library since EA I think?

It's got its hooks in me. It's very fun....

I really liked it, and it's really got me in the mood for Baldurs Gate 3. I enjoy pushing people off things.

I'm trying not to buy any new games at the moment, but the new Pathfinder game is really testing my determination.

I'm still playing the first game on Xbox, too.