As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    woof

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
    but really, what great artist hasn't killed people?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Ha, it appears that the headline has now changed

djnxim4ybpp2.png

W1A INTENSIFIES

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Its been said before but its truly amazing that the BBC has got this way, its something I only really noticed around the ramp-up to the Brexit vote and when they started giving UKIP a platform. It must have been happening before then but it really has started to become more clickbaity (as has news in general) and its pretty depressing considering its supposed to be respected media giant.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Since they edited the headline I'll post a nearly-full version of the screenshot I took (just cropped the notification and navigation bars from my phone). Resized so as not to over-huge-image the forum.

hoy6n6fwoofo.png

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Troubled builder Fred West ...

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Divisive family physician Harold Shipman

• Options
    Eccentric lorry driver Peter Sutcliffe...

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Unkempt village idiot Boris Johnson

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Charismatic jewellery enthusiast Sauron...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Innovative Fashion Designer Cruella DeVille

• Options
    Groundbreaking baker's assistant Sweeney Todd

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Margaret Thatcher

• Options
    Ed Balls

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Bizarro Stormy

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Failed TV show host Donald Trump

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

His list of failures goes far beyond TV shows.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Its been said before but its truly amazing that the BBC has got this way, its something I only really noticed around the ramp-up to the Brexit vote and when they started giving UKIP a platform. It must have been happening before then but it really has started to become more clickbaity (as has news in general) and its pretty depressing considering its supposed to be respected media giant.

Cameron started the changes to the board in 2011(?) and 2014 and it's been trickling down into the gutter ever since.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    So shitty
    Dis' wrote: »

Cameron started the changes to the board in 2011(?) and 2014 and it's been trickling down into the gutter ever since.

I'd say it was more 2008-2009 when you started to see a real shift with the BBC News organisation and the quality of its reporting degrading. From basic writing errors, to creating publishing platforms to extreme political right wing beliefs but then trying to mask it by having weird fluff piece diversity articles that would read like an outright parody from the Onion or Private Eye.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I guess people like his work enough to brush the murder at least a little bit to the side.

Swedish public television talked for 3-4 minutes about the music career and then said something like he had a dark side and then 20 seconds of domestic abuse history and the murder.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

Two time popular vote looser Donald Trump?

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Ziggymon wrote: »

I'd say it was more 2008-2009 when you started to see a real shift with the BBC News organisation and the quality of its reporting degrading. From basic writing errors, to creating publishing platforms to extreme political right wing beliefs but then trying to mask it by having weird fluff piece diversity articles that would read like an outright parody from the Onion or Private Eye.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Two time popular vote looser Donald Trump?

I was more thinking of the huge string of failed businesses but yeah sure that counts too.

• Options
    So shitty
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Ziggymon wrote: »

In January 2016, the team behind the BBC's Daily Politics show co-ordinated the on-air resignation of Labour politician Stephen Doughty shortly before the start of Prime Minister's Questions. The show's output editor Andrew Alexander wrote a (later deleted) blog post for the BBC website explaining how this had come about. Alexander wrote: "We knew his resignation just before PMQs would be a dramatic moment with big political impact". The timing of the announcement ensured Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn was caught off guard. BBC News political editor Laura Kuenssberg "sealed the deal" with Doughty before filming, even though it appeared to viewers that the resignation had been unplanned. A camera crew even filmed Doughty and Kuenssberg arriving at the studio together in advance of the announcement, this to televise later on news bulletins

just off the top of my head, I'll try to find more specific to what I was saying once I've finished work.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Kuenssberg is pretty dreadful and very much a Tory mouthpiece, which isn't unusual for BBC political editors but is still frustrating

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Charlie Stross is a word-putterer-on-paper person.

• Options
    The Leave.EU boys are absolute pieces of shit to a man.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It would have helped those of us heathens not in the UK/EU to understand if the following context had been uncluded:
    Leave EU's website has been suspended after the EU registry behind the domain address blocked a move from the Brexiteers to switch its registration to Ireland to avoid losing the .eu suffix.

• Options
    What would they even need it for now anyway? It's served its purpose.

• Options
    What would they even need it for now anyway? It's served its purpose.

Either wanting Irexit to happen so Britain can have it's own blackjack and hookers, or grift.

Or both.

• Options
    So shitty
    Solar wrote: »
    Kuenssberg is pretty dreadful and very much a Tory mouthpiece, which isn't unusual for BBC political editors but is still frustrating

The BBC tends to have its political news team become a mouth piece for the ruling Government party.

However, what The BBC has historically done isn't direct slander or open bias to an agenda, what they like to do is devalue particular articles or stories so that regardless of content or interest they look insignificant compared to other stories.

Take most interesting articles on the idea of race or gender, they present the headline of the article as a quote the idea being to make it seem more relatable. However, what it does is subconsciously separates the article as not being "as important" as the general headline news.

In addition when there is an article that has a group, union or protest that goes against the government, usually The BBC will put a comments section that ends up being littered with general extremist views or very pro conservative ideals.

• Options
    The comments sections on every news site are a cesspit. I dunno how much to blame the BBC can be for what people who don’t work there say.

You could certainly argue that they should get rid of comments sections.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty
    The one thing the entire BBC comments section can agree on is the clear and unconscionable bias displayed by the BBC for and against every single issue and/or party.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    The comment section of every website ought to be thrown into the sun.

sig.gif
  • Options
    So shitty
    Bogart wrote: »
    The comments sections on every news site are a cesspit. I dunno how much to blame the BBC can be for what people who don’t work there say.

You could certainly argue that they should get rid of comments sections.

I dont blame the BBC for the comments of idiots. However, I do blame the BBC for deliberately putting a comments section on selected articles like its designed to torpedo the issue

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Leading to a lot of the comments on BBC comment sections being "Why doesn't [x article] allow comments"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    The BBC actually got enough shit about that original headline that they published a response

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaint/philspector
    The breaking news story on Phil Spector’s death was published with a headline that did not meet our editorial standards. This was changed within minutes and we also deleted a tweet that had gone out automatically with the original headline. We apologise for this error.

Our coverage of the story across BBC News has been clear that Phil Spector was convicted of the murder of Lana Clarkson and had a long history of violence and abuse.

To be fair the second part of that is correct and well over half the report on the 6 o clock news was about his crimes and terrible reputation. Even the musical legacy half put a heavy weight on the acts rather than the production.

But honestly how didn't the editor on the day see that coming or did someone just hit publish without checking first? It's hardly red hot news that you've got to beat sky to the punch on.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I think before I’d believe that the BBC was deliberately torpedoing issues by including comments sections on only certain articles I’d have to see some sort of statistical evidence.

I’m not saying they aren’t, but it’s the sort of thing that needs evidence for me. Regardless, I don’t think it’s that important, as the only people who read, let alone write in, comments sections are not to be trusted with sharp objects. It’s a much smaller issue than the general bias of visible political reporters in the news organisation.

I don’t need to be shown statistical evidence to know that government ministers have been getting relatively easy rides in interviews, as I can see the way Marr handles, say, Sturgeon and Johnson in the same same show, and can see him be more deferential to the latter.

Bogart on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So shitty
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think before I’d believe that the BBC was deliberately torpedoing issues by including comments sections on only certain articles I’d have to see some sort of statistical evidence.

I’m not saying they aren’t, but it’s the sort of thing that needs evidence for me. Regardless, I don’t think it’s that important, as the only people who read, let alone write in, comments sections are not to be trusted with sharp objects. It’s a much smaller issue than the general bias of visible political reporters in the news organisation.

I don’t need to be shown statistical evidence to know that government ministers have been getting relatively easy rides in interviews, as I can see the way Marr handles, say, Sturgeon and Johnson in the same same show, and can see him be more deferential to the latter.

The bolded is true but it's still a piece of the current struggle - comments sections help reinforce fringe elements by allowing them to see their particular crazy being repeated ad nauseum

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty
    Conservative rebel MPs pressure government over genocide clause
    The government is facing a rebellion over the Trade Bill, and plans to give British courts the right to decide if a country is committing genocide.

Rebel Tory MPs want to allow Parliament to debate ending trade deals with countries the court deems responsible for deliberate mass killings.

The government says trade policy should not be set by the courts.
    Just because they commit genocide, doesn't mean we shouldn't sell them weaponsjam.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
This discussion has been closed.