As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

President Biden's Cabinet

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I just can't get over how they tried to put their future poster boy in a safe cabinet position for experience and resume building and it slams right into the biggest supply chain logistical gorgon not in like half a century.

Well at least hes been on leave for some time so hopefully people who know what theyrr doing are running that Department?

Are you throwing shade on paternity leave?

Lol

Its good he's able to get parental leave, its also good that his being on parental leave gets him out of the day to day running of government. A happy confluence.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'm in camp "we need to reduce the plum book as much as possible and have posts given out based on who is the best fit, not as rewards for being a good crony or donor." Honestly, this a further indictment against all the money in our politics because Rahm likely isn't being given the post based on his competence, but is getting it as a reward for just being well connected. I know a number of our ambassador posts are for show, but it really shouldn't be that way and I'd argue show posts end up being corrosive in electoral politics because many voters don't know which posts are bullshit show pieces and which ones signify that someone actually has proper skills that would be handy in governing.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The venn diagram of Democratic politicians complaining about the slogans people who give a shit about police brutality use and those tap-dancing their way to help Rahm get a prestigious positions: looking like a perfect circle. "We all want the same thing :) We just disagree on tactics :)" yeah, sure. Can't wait to hear that again form these fine people when it's time to ask for votes again. Maybe a bit of "I'll be right there with you holding them accountable after they're elected!"

Really appreciate what all mainstream white liberals did to help prevent, protest, or stop this at any point from January until now:

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I just can't get over how they tried to put their future poster boy in a safe cabinet position for experience and resume building and it slams right into the biggest supply chain logistical gorgon not in like half a century.

Well at least hes been on leave for some time so hopefully people who know what theyrr doing are running that Department?

Are you throwing shade on paternity leave?

I believe they're throwing shade on the fact that the department is better with him on paternity leave than at work.

Is there any reason to believe that's true? Or that there was a hope that being Secretary of Transportation would burnish Buttigieg's credentials for a future run, given how often cabinet secretaries who were in elective office don't subsequently return to the ballot?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Giving Rahm this job is like giving Buttigieg a cabinet appointment. The party assumes they can't fuck it up too bad and it lets them stay in the club until the next go around.

How is that cushy Department of Transportation job going?

*looks at 70+ ships off the coast of LA*

US-DOT just successfully negotiated with the Port of Los Angeles, Port of Long Beach, and International Longshore and Warehouse Union to double shifts and go 24 hour in order to process an additional ~3,500 containers per day.

So... it's going pretty well.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Speaking of appointments, any news as to when Biden will fill the 5th seat in the FCC so this stupid deadlock can end? It's been almost a year!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Rahm is getting a job because the DNC feels it needs to do fealty to the Chicago machine.

It's bad, but in the context of Washington corruption it's completely unsurprising, and I can only be righteously angry about so much.

I'd be annoyed if it was a cabinet position. But it's clearly a "Please go away" position. It's a nice job so he can't be too angry and start doing tell-all interviews. But he's as far away from power as they can possibly get him. Literally the other side of the world. It's a subtle insult to him.

No it isn't. The Japanese ambassadorship is considered one of the cushiest gigs in foreign relations and has historically been awarded to people who were political or financial backers of the incoming administration.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Rahm is getting a job because the DNC feels it needs to do fealty to the Chicago machine.

It's bad, but in the context of Washington corruption it's completely unsurprising, and I can only be righteously angry about so much.

I'd be annoyed if it was a cabinet position. But it's clearly a "Please go away" position. It's a nice job so he can't be too angry and start doing tell-all interviews. But he's as far away from power as they can possibly get him. Literally the other side of the world. It's a subtle insult to him.

No it isn't. The Japanese ambassadorship is considered one of the cushiest gigs in foreign relations and has historically been awarded to people who were political or financial backers of the incoming administration.

Cushy yes. Powerful no. As you say, it's traditionally for people who donated money, not those who want actual power like Emmanuel.

Too subtle maybe.

• Options
    edited October 2021

Cushy yes. Powerful no. As you say, it's traditionally for people who donated money, not those who want actual power like Emmanuel.

Too subtle maybe.

He's being rewarded with a cushy position but because you feel he won't be able to wield sufficient power it's actually a punishment? Come on.

If you think the Biden administration giving Rahm the ambassadorship to Japan is them punishing him, I am going to ask you provide evidence to support that. Right now it seems like you're just stating what you would like the reality of the situation to be.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    As a Chicagoan I feel I can quite authoritatively state that Rahm Emmanuel should be castigated out of polite society. No matter where or which society that may be.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I don't feel it's a punishment (I'd love to be ambassador to Japan!) but I think he would.

As for evidence, I don't know him (nor do you), but he seems petty and mean so I think he'd be both happy that he gets a cool, luxurious posting and miffed that he doesn't get any real influence.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Too subtle maybe.

He's being rewarded with a cushy position but because you feel he won't be able to wield sufficient power it's actually a punishment? Come on.

If you think the Biden administration giving Rahm the ambassadorship to Japan is them punishing him, I am going to ask you provide evidence to support that. Right now it seems like you're just stating what you would like the reality of the situation to be.

Judging by the leaks, Rahm wanted a cabinet position or something on that level. Which he's not getting. I wouldn't call it an insult or punishment or anything. It's still a cushy job for politically connected people after all. It more looks like he's just being sidelined.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Too subtle maybe.

If someone wants power, preventing them from getting it is a punishment yes. Its like a compliment delivered with the back of your hand.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The supply chain issues are global its not soley Mayor Pete's fault

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm genuinely losing my mind that people are honestly arguing a six figure job as ambassador to a G6 nation is a deliberate insult.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    You folks are still manufacturing out of whole cloth explanations as to why this is a good thing, actually.

Seems to me like if the President of the United States wanted to not reward Rahm Emanuel, he could simply not give him a cushy ambassadorship NOR a position of power within his cabinet.

The Biden administration does not appear to view Rahm's actions and decisions to be so egregious as some of us do, and there is still no evidence presented otherwise.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Too subtle maybe.

If someone wants power, preventing them from getting it is a punishment yes. Its like a compliment delivered with the back of your hand.

Id love a cushy 6 figure punishment, but alas my rolodex is too thin.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Too subtle maybe.

You know what would send an even better message? Not getting appointed to anything at all. If this was somehow detrimental to him then he would not have accepted the nomination.

• Options
    We know this isnt meant punishment because leading Dems are out in the media backing him and making excuses for what he's done.

This is just the most politically prominent post they could get away with.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Too subtle maybe.

You know what would send an even better message? Not getting appointed to anything at all. If this was somehow detrimental to him then he would not have accepted the nomination.

Nah, that doesn't make any sense. Not accepting the job loses all the perks of being an ambassador. It's a cushy post. It's still less then the job he actually wanted though. He's clearly connected enough and well liked enough to get something, but he's also not well liked enough by whomever the relevant people in the Biden admin are to get an actual important job with real policy power. I really don't feel like what's going on is all that unusual if you see the Democratic party as a coalition of various interests and people.

shryke on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Too subtle maybe.

Nah, that doesn't make any sense. Not accepting the job loses all the perks of being an ambassador. It's a cushy post. It's still less then the job he actually wanted though. He's clearly connected enough and well liked enough to get something, but he's also not well liked enough by whomever the relevant people in the Biden admin are to get an actual important job with real policy power. I really don't feel like what's going on is all that unusual if you see the Democratic party as a coalition of various interests and people.

What? You are saying he is choosing to do something detrimental because of how extremely beneficial it is to him?

Also why are you assuming everyone upset by this doesn't get that the Democratic party has various different factions of influence. I am calling them out for valuing someone who covered up a murder over anything else. I don't really care what else he delivers. Covering up a murder is not ok, and I will harshly judge any party that continues to reward people who did it.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I refuse to believe that somehow Ambassador to Japan is a position that lacks power and prestige, that somehow this is the administration cleverly snubbing Emmanuel with a backhanded complement.

The truth is, like always, these are people in positions of power who live in a world of power segregated from the rest of us; the rules, ultimately, either apply differently to them or not at all, because they are colleagues of power, prestige and privilege. They are the ruling class and they will back their own for as long as they possibly can.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I'm genuinely losing my mind that people are honestly arguing a six figure job as ambassador to a G6 nation is a deliberate insult.

Because it's all relative. Yeah compared to what most of our lives are here on the forums, it's a fantasy. Compared to what Rahm wanted/expected/thinks he deserves? Compared to the money he makes normally doing anything else? The 6 figures I don't even think register.

Comparing anything without context is silly.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    He still shouldn't have gotten it. And should be in prison.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    kime wrote: »

Because it's all relative. Yeah compared to what most of our lives are here on the forums, it's a fantasy. Compared to what Rahm wanted/expected/thinks he deserves? Compared to the money he makes normally doing anything else? The 6 figures I don't even think register.

But he still gets to represent the nation to an important pacific ally and all the power and privilege that comes with that and over the diplomatic staff and mission for that region

Rahm Emmanuel is not going to actually be suffering, even in comparison to wanting a cabinet position. This is not a polite form of exile, it’s still an ambassadorship.

There is no actual justice at play here.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Nope

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Nope

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Lanz wrote: »
    I refuse to believe that somehow Ambassador to Japan is a position that lacks power and prestige, that somehow this is the administration cleverly snubbing Emmanuel with a backhanded complement.

It's a position usually handed off to like a well connected donor or the like. Not the politically ambitious or those seeking influence over federal government actions. It's prestigious, yes. Fancy diners, nice title, all that shit. But powerful? AFAIK it's not the kind of ambassadorship that comes with any real influence on government policy, no. Certainly nothing approaching a Cabinet-level position. Which is as far as we know the kind of position he was actually after.

He's not going to be brought to justice or anything, no. But he's also not gonna get the position he seems to have actually wanted. And I would bet that has nothing to do with his time as Mayor or the like and probably everything to do with Biden and his not wanting to work with him. The chances that anything going on right now has anything to do with policing is pretty minimal imo.

shryke on
  • Options

It's a position usually handed off to like a well connected donor or the like. Not the politically ambitious or those seeking influence over federal government actions. It's prestigious, yes. Fancy diners, nice title, all that shit. But powerful? AFAIK it's not the kind of ambassadorship that comes with any real influence on government policy, no. Certainly nothing approaching a Cabinet-level position. Which is as far as we know the kind of position he was actually after.

You keep saying this like we're unaware an ambassador is less powerful than a cabinet position in our government.

We know Shryke.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

You keep saying this like we're unaware an ambassador is less powerful than a cabinet position in our government.

We know Shryke.

If that were true we wouldn't see the same points that assume otherwise getting repeated over and over again.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

He's not going to be brought to justice or anything, no. But he's also not gonna get the position he seems to have actually wanted. And I would bet that has nothing to do with his time as Mayor or the like and probably everything to do with Biden and his not wanting to work with him.

In other words, it was a compromise. They have to give him something because enough of the party backs him, but it cannot be anything witt actual decision input, because the rest of the party doesn't, if only because he's an anchor they have to carry around. On Kaine in particular, he's basically saying that no Mayor on the US has any power without the backing of the police unions, so basically Chicago is screwed.

Which, ok then. That's a position to take.

TryCatcher on
  • Options

We know Shryke.

If that were true we wouldn't see the same points that assume otherwise getting repeated over and over again.

Literally no has said its more powerful than being in the cabinet. You're just slamming a square peg into the round hole instead of engaging.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2021

We know Shryke.

It’s a disagreement. We are aware of the issues at play but have different views on them. You view that because it is not as powerful as a cabinet position, then to someone like Rahm Emmanuel it must be deliterious to his sense of status.

But as we focus on the appointment as a position of rank and power, that comes with a shitton of privilege, we do not see it the same way; it is still a position of prestige and is still, arguably, a step up in status from, say, mildly disgraced mayor of a major metropolis.

And that is okay. We disagree. But it doesn’t mean we don’t understand the situation and need to be better educated on it.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    kime wrote: »

Context: politicians that spent years lecturing activists and protesters on ethics and decorum, and what can't be done because their respect for rules and the message doing X would send just rewarded a criminal with a title and a salary, and will expect to be taken seriously in the future when they go back to talking about "ethics" and the "rule of law” because they could have given him even a better title and even bigger salary.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2021

We know Shryke.

It’s a disagreement. We are aware of the issues at play but have different views on them. You view that because it is not as powerful as a cabinet position, then to someone like Rahm Emmanuel it must be deliterious to his sense of status.

But as we focus on the appointment as a position of rank and power, that comes with a shitton of privilege, we do not see it the same way; it is still a position of prestige and is still, arguably, a step up in status from, say, mildly disgraced mayor of a major metropolis.

And that is okay. We disagree. But it doesn’t mean we don’t understand the situation and need to be better educated on it.

Someone (probably Rahm himself) was floating his name for a cabinet position. He almost certainly actually wanted that kind of position. (hilariously I believe Buttigieg took the main ones suggested for him) And the relative power and influence of a Cabinet position vs an Ambassadorship to an ally speaks directly to those desires and, even more importantly, to how much influence the people actually deciding this stuff wanted him to have. The fact that an ambassadorship is still prestigious certainly suggests the party has no interest in divesting themselves of him but what position they actually did give him, given the positions he could have had, is even more telling.

shryke on
  • Options

We know Shryke.

Someone (probably Rahm himself) was floating his name for a cabinet position. He almost certainly actually wanted that kind of position. (hilariously I believe Buttigieg took the main ones suggested for him) And the relative power and influence of a Cabinet position vs an Ambassadorship to an ally speaks directly to those desires and, even more importantly, to how much influence the people actually deciding this stuff wanted him to have.

This is an assumption in reasoning, that this is as much power as they wanted him to have and not as much power as they could give him.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2021

We know Shryke.

Someone (probably Rahm himself) was floating his name for a cabinet position. He almost certainly actually wanted that kind of position. (hilariously I believe Buttigieg took the main ones suggested for him) And the relative power and influence of a Cabinet position vs an Ambassadorship to an ally speaks directly to those desires and, even more importantly, to how much influence the people actually deciding this stuff wanted him to have.

This is an assumption in reasoning, that this is as much power as they wanted him to have and not as much power as they could give him.

The idea that they couldn't give him a Cabinet position because it would be too controversial is silly. They clearly have zero problem publicly giving him a nice position and talking nice about him on TV. They are doing that right now. Whatever protests exist against him getting a prestigious government position clearly don't concern the relevant politicians in the slightest. What exactly do you think would stop them from giving him a Cabinet position?

shryke on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

We know Shryke.

Yes, if we either weren't too stupid to comprehend or just lying we would be on the same page as you.

Rahm wasn't sidelined, his constituency doesn't exist outside of rich fucks from Chicago he's already gladhanded.

They took care of him as much as they could get away with

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

We know Shryke.

The idea that they couldn't give him a Cabinet position because it would be too controversial is silly. They clearly have zero problem publicly giving him a nice position and talking nice about him on TV. They are doing that right now. Whatever protests exist against him getting a prestigious government position clearly don't concern the relevant politicians in the slightest. What exactly do you think would stop them from giving him a Cabinet position?

Now who's acting like there's no difference hetween a cabinet post and a ambassadorship

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    It can be both be true that the position didn't give Rahm the power and influence he wanted, and that he still shouldn't have been given the post in the first place anyways.