As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

President Biden's Cabinet

1505152535456»

Posts

  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean the white house hold a press conference everyday, and they have officials out, cabinet members touring talking to the press (I mean fuck sake Pete Buttigieg was even on fox for god sake). But because they got so used to palace intrigue bullshit they are unhappy.

    Yeah, but what does the official line really mean? Because it can't be the case where they all came to an agreement on policy in a meeting and then say what that agreement entails.

    spool32Ardol
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    It's not a real administration until Major Biden gets a cabinet post.

  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    @AngelHedgie this is not a random link dump thread about all things Biden. Stay on-topic.

    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Katherine Tai confirmed as top U.S. trade negotiator
    Katherine Tai, a longtime congressional staff lawyer, won Senate confirmation on Wednesday as the first woman of color to serve as the top U.S. trade negotiator.

    The Senate approved her nomination 98-0, marking a rare bipartisan agreement in a deeply-divided Washington.

    Among her first tasks will be advising the president on what to do about existing tariffs on most imported Chinese products, presiding over enforcement of a new trade deal with Mexico and Canada, and seeking a negotiated end to a long-running commercial dispute with the European Union.

    "Katherine Tai, a longtime congressional staff lawyer, won Senate confirmation on Wednesday as the first woman of color to serve as the top U.S. trade negotiator.

    Whenever I see this, while it's great this is the case finally, it's also an indictment on the system, that it's taken this long.

    Though, to be honest, I was legit surprised when I looked it up, and saw it was a 98-0 confirmation. Honestly thought confirmations would cap out at ~80 votes.

    Katherine Tai made her career at the Office of the Trade Representative by going against Beijing on the WTO:
    Katherine is the lead advisor to the Chairman and Democratic Members of the Committee on Ways and Means on matters of international trade. She was named to this position in 2017 after serving three years on the Committee as Trade Counsel.

    Katherine came to the Committee in 2014 from USTR’s Office of the General Counsel, first as Associate General Counsel from 2007 to 2011 and then as Chief Counsel for China Trade Enforcement with responsibility for the development and litigation of U.S. disputes against China at the World Trade Organization (WTO). Before joining USTR, Katherine worked in the international trade departments in several Washington, DC law firms. From 1996 to 1998, she lived and worked in Guangzhou, China teaching English at Zhongshan University as a Yale-China Fellow.

    Oh, and she is from Taiwanese descent. It shouldn't matter, but it will. So, given that the US is not negotiating any trade deals at the moment thanks to COVID except taking the UK to the cleaners post-Brexit, and given that the national mood is "fuck Xi", that vote doesn't surprise me at all.

    man, it's really nice to have a little more subtlety coming out of the white house. Not that this is especially subtle but coming off the last admin you just love to see it.

  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Biden to nominate official from gun-control group to head ATF
    President Biden will announce a top official from a leading gun-control group as his nominee to head the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives — a key agency in combating gun violence that has gone without a permanent director for years.

    Two people familiar with the matter said Biden plans to nominate David Chipman, a veteran ATF special agent who currently serves as senior policy adviser at Giffords, as his ATF director nominee. The people spoke on the condition of anonymity to disclose a personnel decision before it is made public.

    Before his current role at Giffords, the advocacy group led by former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), Chipman was a special agent at ATF for more than two decades with a focus on firearms programs, according to the biography on his website.

    A good pick.

    03x29di.png
    monikerMarathonkimejmcdonaldNetscapeshrykelonelyahavaN1tSt4lkerGiantGeek2020Stabbity Styleoverride367Kayne Red RobeLord_AsmodeusShadowfireMillGennenalyse RuebenMan in the MistsElvenshaeRMS Oceanic38thDoeEinzelsarukun
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Wow so someone concerned about guns falling into the wrong hands in charge of an agency who's task that is, and he literally worked there previously? I dunno might be too competent.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    MorganVCommander ZoomN1tSt4lkerTofystedethFencingsaxStarZapperLord_AsmodeusShadowfireGennenalyse RuebenMan in the MistsElvenshaeToxNobeardsarukunKana
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited April 7
    Preacher wrote: »
    Wow so someone concerned about guns falling into the wrong hands in charge of an agency who's task that is, and he literally worked there previously? I dunno might be too competent.

    I can't see any Republican voting for him, and unless there's already a deal made, there's likely several Democrats that will have objection there.

    Especially Manchin. Sure, this is ten years old, but still...


    Heck, this one is from three years ago.

    I'll be shocked if he gets confirmed.

    MorganV on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    We'll see, does Manchin really want to be seen as pro no gun enforcement with the recent mass shootings?

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited April 7
    Preacher wrote: »
    We'll see, does Manchin really want to be seen as pro no gun enforcement with the recent mass shootings?

    Oh, I'm not saying he's full raving gun nut. After all, he does have the failed Manchin-Toomey bill on his resume.

    But I can absolutely see him saying "This guy is too extreme (cause of who he works for), give me someone a little less so, and I'll vote for them.".

    Just like he did on the minimum wage, and he's looking to do on the corporate tax rate.

    Attempting to be "reasonable" by rejecting initial offers.

    Going out of the gate with someone from a gun control advocacy group? I don't like the odds.

    MorganV on
    CelestialBadgerNetscape
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    We'll see, does Manchin really want to be seen as pro no gun enforcement with the recent mass shootings?

    Oh, I'm not saying he's full raving gun nut. After all, he does have the failed Manchin-Toomey bill on his resume.

    But I can absolutely see him saying "This guy is too extreme (cause of who he works for), give me someone a little less so, and I'll vote for them.".

    Just like he did on the minimum wage, and he's looking to do on the corporate tax rate.

    Attempting to be "reasonable" by rejecting initial offers.

    Going out of the gate with someone from a gun control advocacy group? I don't like the odds.

    That gun control advocacy group being the one run by a former Congresswoman who was shot in the head, and who is now currently a Senate spouse and likely knows Manchin personally.

    jmcdonaldPreacherFencingsaxMan in the MistsElvenshaeToxButtersN1tSt4lker
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    We'll see, does Manchin really want to be seen as pro no gun enforcement with the recent mass shootings?

    Oh, I'm not saying he's full raving gun nut. After all, he does have the failed Manchin-Toomey bill on his resume.

    But I can absolutely see him saying "This guy is too extreme (cause of who he works for), give me someone a little less so, and I'll vote for them.".

    Just like he did on the minimum wage, and he's looking to do on the corporate tax rate.

    Attempting to be "reasonable" by rejecting initial offers.

    Going out of the gate with someone from a gun control advocacy group? I don't like the odds.

    That gun control advocacy group being the one run by a former Congresswoman who was shot in the head, and who is now currently a Senate spouse and likely knows Manchin personally.

    Which feels entirely intentional on Biden's part to me.

    jmcdonaldPreacherFencingsaxmonikerLord_AsmodeusMillGennenalyse RuebenGiantGeek2020ElvenshaeButtersDoodmanniTunesIsEvilEinzelN1tSt4lker
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    It may be a novel approach but we could at least theoretically wait to see if Manchin is going to be a shit before we complain about him being a shit :P

    monikerKayne Red RobecrzyangoPreacherGiantGeek2020MillMan in the MistsEinzelN1tSt4lkerKana
  • GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    It may be a novel approach but we could at least theoretically wait to see if Manchin is going to be a shit before we complain about him being a shit :P

    Though the odds of him being a shit remain disturbingly high.

    3. A surprisingly small number of adults have attempted the largely successful, “Punch the small children to escape” tactic.
    Kayne Red RobeMan in the MistsHappylilElfElvenshaeMorganVNobeard
Sign In or Register to comment.