As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread: Vaccines!

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    PCR came back negative for COVID today (was collected at same time as my positive rapid).

Going in again tomorrow morning for a retest on both.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Positive news: My 95-year-old grandma survived Covid!

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Bloomberg tracker shot up today by 1.2 million doses delivered, up to 9.3 million.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Wondering how the vaccine roll out is going in nyc.....oh

Investigate reporter

Please allow me to help simplify this process for you New York

1) Look at your date of birth. Was it before 1951? Great! You are eligable
    2) Look at your birthday, and todays date. Do they end in the same number? Great! It's your day to come to the vaccination clinic!
    3) Which clinic should I come to? Any clinic you want
    4) What documents should I bring? Any document which proves your date of birth. If you have an insurance card, bring that too as it will help us inform your doctor you had the vaccine.
    5) What forms will I need to fill out, and how much will I pay? You will need to register for your second shot. You will pay nothing, however, if you come back for your second shot and present your vaccination card, you will get a $50 gift card
    6) I've heard about side effects, and needing to wait 15 minutes? Bring a nice warm coat, you will be waiting outside watched by a nurse for 15 minutes before you leave
    7) I don't have any document to prove my date of birth. What shall I do? Come at any time after 8 PM. Vaccine clinics are open 24/7, and between 8 PM and 2 AM there will be no ID checks so that all of the days allotment of vaccine can be deployed.

Were you born in November? Sucks to be you!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Wondering how the vaccine roll out is going in nyc.....oh

Investigate reporter

Please allow me to help simplify this process for you New York

1) Look at your date of birth. Was it before 1951? Great! You are eligable
    2) Look at your birthday, and todays date. Do they end in the same number? Great! It's your day to come to the vaccination clinic!
    3) Which clinic should I come to? Any clinic you want
    4) What documents should I bring? Any document which proves your date of birth. If you have an insurance card, bring that too as it will help us inform your doctor you had the vaccine.
    5) What forms will I need to fill out, and how much will I pay? You will need to register for your second shot. You will pay nothing, however, if you come back for your second shot and present your vaccination card, you will get a $50 gift card
    6) I've heard about side effects, and needing to wait 15 minutes? Bring a nice warm coat, you will be waiting outside watched by a nurse for 15 minutes before you leave
    7) I don't have any document to prove my date of birth. What shall I do? Come at any time after 8 PM. Vaccine clinics are open 24/7, and between 8 PM and 2 AM there will be no ID checks so that all of the days allotment of vaccine can be deployed.

Were you born in November? Sucks to be you!

Technically the error in my simple visit scheduler is that there are more dates that end in a 1 (1,11,21,31) than any other date, the month you are born in is irrelevant.

1,11,21,31 -> Anyone born on one of those days can come
    2,12,22 -> Anyone born on one of those days can come
    etc
    10,20,30 -> Anyone born on one of those days can come

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    There was a covid outbreak at my local testing facility...

Ugh.

• Options
    Looking at Bidens plan for '100 million vaccines in 100 days' it is honestly looking as if that rate (barring production issues) is just what we would get if Biden stopped ramping on day 1. We've done 2.3 million vaccines in 3 days, 2 of which were weekends. We seem to be gaining ~50k vaccines per day per day.

Effectively, what I'm saying is that Biden should come out and say, "100 million in 100 days is too slow, we will do 200 million in 100 days"

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Looking at Bidens plan for '100 million vaccines in 100 days' it is honestly looking as if that rate (barring production issues) is just what we would get if Biden stopped ramping on day 1. We've done 2.3 million vaccines in 3 days, 2 of which were weekends. We seem to be gaining ~50k vaccines per day per day.

Effectively, what I'm saying is that Biden should come out and say, "100 million in 100 days is too slow, we will do 200 million in 100 days"
    Under promise, over deliver.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Numbers that large stop having meaning to people.

100 million is effectively infinity to the average person. Changing it will just get confusing.

• Options
    Pretty soon, supply will be a temporary bottleneck. Although that alleviates in February if other vaccines are approved

• Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Pretty soon, supply will be a temporary bottleneck. Although that alleviates in February if other vaccines are approved

Oxford works well enough for deployment, we're just being stupid about it while we are at capacity delivering the other vaccines. The instant we run low on either one Oxford gets approval within a week. Effacacy is a bit weird, but the hospitalization reduction effect is very clear indeed. Thats a massive chunk of Q1 doses.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Did he says 100 million vaccinations or 100 million doses delivered? Big difference

• Options

Oxford works well enough for deployment, we're just being stupid about it while we are at capacity delivering the other vaccines. The instant we run low on either one Oxford gets approval within a week. Effacacy is a bit weird, but the hospitalization reduction effect is very clear indeed. Thats a massive chunk of Q1 doses.

My understanding is that the fda will not approve based on non-us data

• Options
    24 hours post-vaccination, my arm is still noticeably sore. Not unbearable, about the equivalent to the bruise you get when you take a hockey puck to something meaty but unpadded. I was gonna play disc golf today, but probably can’t.

That’s the only noticeable side effect so far. No chills or fatigue or nausea.

• Options

My understanding is that the fda will not approve based on non-us data

Indeed, and the UK plans to strictly follow the two dose regimen, and France will never have another national lock down and so on.

The UK is merrily embarking on an expanded trial in hundreds of thousands. So is Mexico and India. There will soon be so much safety data that the risk benefit analysis will be utterly clear.

The effacacy data is a bit odd, but the hospitalization and death data is not. If we can make enough Moderna and Pfizer to see us through to Johnson and Novavax then maybe we never use it, but if we have a vaccine shortage they will roll out Oxford.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Canadian distribution update: according to a tracking site I'm following (and have no reason to disbelieve), we're up to ~370,000 doses administered, out of ~545,000 delivered, so just over 2/3 have gone from vials to arms.

This represents just under 1% of the population, which... is a start, but the numbers going out have gone up substantially, and until we get another shipment in for distribution that might be pretty much caught up within the next week or so.

According to another page I've found, it seems the country is relying on/expecting weekly'ish deliveries of the Pfizer vaccine, and expects to see/allocate the Moderna one starting this week, with further allocations in early and late February. (edit: apparently that 545k number is across both, with a 380k/169k split (yes I know this doesn't add up, there's a bit of variance between my sources))

The country has a target of everyone who wants the shot getting it by September, and a tool designed to estimate when a given person should be eligible (based on age and a few other factors) estimate I should be able to around July/August), though I see this as more of a horoscope bit of guesswork, and expect it to be more of an 'as the situation develops' kind of thing. Potential for setbacks, other vaccines coming online, etc.

By end of year would be acceptable, by the summer would be awesome, anywhere in between is within expected parameters, personally (and again, subject to change).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Apparently vaccine distribution in my county is being handled via... Drive through administration.

Which is good for speed and widespread distribution, provided the paperwork is done on the front end. But aren't you supposed to, like, not go anywhere for 15 minutes after administration? I guess they might be having people sit in their cars for 15 minutes before driving off, which seems to defeat the purpose of the drive through, but I guess it would at least limit potential exposure of everyone hanging around in the same room.

My county has received 22,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine, and has administered 12,000 doses so far. That's not counting Kaiser or Sutter, who apparently are getting their own allotments and distributing them on their own.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Got my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Spent the night with fevers, chills, and muscle aches everywhere. Oof. Rightly failed my work's screening this morning, so spending the day from home. It's a small thing to complain about, and I'm glad I got it, but I really could do without this part.

• Options
    Apparently vaccine distribution in my county is being handled via... Drive through administration.

Which is good for speed and widespread distribution, provided the paperwork is done on the front end. But aren't you supposed to, like, not go anywhere for 15 minutes after administration? I guess they might be having people sit in their cars for 15 minutes before driving off, which seems to defeat the purpose of the drive through, but I guess it would at least limit potential exposure of everyone hanging around in the same room.

My county has received 22,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine, and has administered 12,000 doses so far. That's not counting Kaiser or Sutter, who apparently are getting their own allotments and distributing them on their own.

Without question the right call is to have one nurse or healthcare practitioner of any type supervising hundreds of people in a parking lot. Drive through is an ideal method for many places in the US. There are plenty of empty parking lots, and so on.

Severe allergies are running at around 1/200k. A site administering 10000 vaccines a day might see one in 4 months. The risk of spending 15 minutes in a busy hospital waiting room (or even worse, sitting in a vaccination chair preventing others getting a shot) is a foolish additional precaution to take. Worst of all would be having the vaccinated person sit with the vaccinator for 15 minutes, but, sitting indoors for 15 minutes is the next worst idea. Standing outside is fine, but, easiest and safest (espescially for old people) is sitting in your car.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Drive-through administration is means-testing. Not owning a private vehicle should not mean you can't get the vaccine.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Drive-through administration is means-testing. Not owning a private vehicle should not mean you can't get the vaccine.

Every drive up testing site I've been to also had a walk up section. I presume vaccination would be the same.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Indeed, its clearly not the only solution. And vaccines should also be made available at typical clinics, and with "vaccination vans" which bring vaccines directly to undeserved communities (homeless encampments, rural apartment buildings where many farm laborers live etc)

But, regardless of whether they are a good idea for everyone, they are a good idea for many people and the largest benefits of vaccination comes from vaccinating as many people as possible as fast as possible. Undeserved communities, like immigrants, the poor, or the homeless gain protection from others being vaccinated. Delay for the sake of equity is not beneficial for those you are trying to protect.

• Options
    tbloxham, what does the bloomberg vaccine tracker say about the number of vaccine doses injected yesterday?!?!?!

Tbloxham - Its over 1 million!!!!

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

January 10th - 8.0 M doses injected total
    January 11th - 9.3 M doses injected total

First day when you might be able to say that more people were injected than were infected in the USA. Its kinda a rubbish way of counting since the data is 'chunky' and states don't all report on a day by day cadence, but its still a meaningful day.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Parents got the first vaccine yesterday. I am super happy. I mean they are older so at risk. But both have additional issues. My dad ha asthma and my mom immune-compromised due to other health issues. I am so happy for them. I am working through three routes to get mine being high risk. My GP and Virginia, my GI Doc who does my infusions, and the DoD who I work for. DoD might come through first.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Canadian distribution update: according to a tracking site I'm following (and have no reason to disbelieve), we're up to ~370,000 doses administered, out of ~545,000 delivered, so just over 2/3 have gone from vials to arms.

This represents just under 1% of the population, which... is a start, but the numbers going out have gone up substantially, and until we get another shipment in for distribution that might be pretty much caught up within the next week or so.

According to another page I've found, it seems the country is relying on/expecting weekly'ish deliveries of the Pfizer vaccine, and expects to see/allocate the Moderna one starting this week, with further allocations in early and late February. (edit: apparently that 545k number is across both, with a 380k/169k split (yes I know this doesn't add up, there's a bit of variance between my sources))

The country has a target of everyone who wants the shot getting it by September, and a tool designed to estimate when a given person should be eligible (based on age and a few other factors) estimate I should be able to around July/August), though I see this as more of a horoscope bit of guesswork, and expect it to be more of an 'as the situation develops' kind of thing. Potential for setbacks, other vaccines coming online, etc.

By end of year would be acceptable, by the summer would be awesome, anywhere in between is within expected parameters, personally (and again, subject to change).

Quebec is out in 2 days. BC/Alberta out within the week. Ontario is one of the holdouts reserving the 2nd shot so they're probably effectively out of new doses in a day or two

We will have received proportionally as many doses as the US has right now in 7 weeks and will be continually short through march. Unless this America first bullshit ends and we can get some extra shipments

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Also like just stick em if they look old. get close enough

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Whoops, dart in your neck."

- Sparks, SeaVaxLab 2021

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Just riiiiide the COVID vax....

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    "Whoops, dart in your neck."

- Sparks, SeaVaxLab 2021

hey

watch yourself

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Parents got the first vaccine yesterday. I am super happy. I mean they are older so at risk. But both have additional issues. My dad ha asthma and my mom immune-compromised due to other health issues. I am so happy for them. I am working through three routes to get mine being high risk. My GP and Virginia, my GI Doc who does my infusions, and the DoD who I work for. DoD might come through first.

My wife got her second one since she's frontline healthcare. I'm trying to find any information I can from the VDH, but I suspect my wife's hospital is going to be my best route since my GP told me to stop calling about vaccine info.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Buncombe County, where I live is still stuck in phase 1 hell. Only 1400 vaccinations have been administered so far, less than .5% of the population. They can't even schedule more vaccinations because they havn't been allocated any more doses.

So far, 5 people in my office have gotten COVID, 1 is still recovering.

I'm really frustrated...

• Options
    Johnson and Johnson CEO said in some remarks yesterday that they are in the "final stage of data analysis."

That puts them on track with the assumed timeline of applying for EUA before the end of the month and being distributed sometime in February. This is a single-shot vaccine that can be stored for months at ordinary refrigeration.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »

Quebec is out in 2 days. BC/Alberta out within the week. Ontario is one of the holdouts reserving the 2nd shot so they're probably effectively out of new doses in a day or two

We will have received proportionally as many doses as the US has right now in 7 weeks and will be continually short through march. Unless this America first bullshit ends and we can get some extra shipments

CTV is a Canadian News Network. Tweet text: "BREAKING: Canada locks in 20 million more Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine doses"

Story is that we will have an additional 20 million doses of Pfizer with deliveries starting in April. According to Trudeau, we will have around 80 million doses of vaccine in Canada this year between Pfizer and Moderna deals. Since our population is approximately 38 million people and not everyone can even take the vaccine yet, it seems like we can vaccinate the entire population even if the other vaccines don't work out.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    The week over week growth in hospitalizations, which are the least susceptible stat to holiday weirdness, has slowed been steadily slowing for several weeks and is now excruciatingly close to flat.

There’s a very good chance we enter a decline phase in the next week or two.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    How much of that is that they've literally run out of space?

• Options
    edited January 2021

I dunno. I'm not convinced that's a factor, personally, but I could be convinced with evidence. A few areas ran out of ICU space and were forced to go to emergency measures (although that was partially using fudged numbers to try to scare the public into desperately needed compliance. California, for example, was reporting "0% ICU capacity" when they didn't actually mean 0% because they were using a downward "adjustment factor" for COVID).

Most of the country still has hospital space, as far as I know.

Inkstain82 on
  • Options

I got mine done at a place where we could sit inside, but the place I get my covid tests done also got some vaccines and they're having people drive up and then wait in designated spaces and I think someone basically checks on you and gives you the greenlight to pull out

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »

I got mine done at a place where we could sit inside, but the place I get my covid tests done also got some vaccines and they're having people drive up and then wait in designated spaces and I think someone basically checks on you and gives you the greenlight to pull out

Nothing like a little bit of pointless last minute covid exposure risk to be served alongside your vaccine. Utterly ridiculous to expose people to the far greater than 1/200000 risk of catching covid while 30 people sit together in a closed room for 15 minutes to minimize anaphylaxis risks.

I literally would refuse to sit there. I'd insist on just standing outside.

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Nothing like a little bit of pointless last minute covid exposure risk to be served alongside your vaccine. Utterly ridiculous to expose people to the far greater than 1/200000 risk of catching covid while 30 people sit together in a closed room for 15 minutes to minimize anaphylaxis risks.

I literally would refuse to sit there. I'd insist on just standing outside.

Good for you.

There was plenty of space, everyone was masked and 90% of the people there were my coworkers who I'm periodically around maskless due to nature of work.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

We have 1 ICU bed left in my county - And in the local scheme of things, we're doing comparatively well.

This discussion has been closed.