As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Yes, the third expansion of the year usually hits late November or early December, so we're about due for some reveals.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I'm curious how much they're going to commit the archetype this go around. Standard has 0 frost spells currently. Wild has 5, one of which is Ice Fishing, and some miscellaneous support like Ice Breaker and Moorabi. So they basically need to build the whole thing from scratch if it'll be a thing.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    It's a decent archetype payoff card and is the sort of thing that might have gotten their first horrible attempt at the forced Freeze Shaman archetype to be playable, but it's gonna need a ton of really good Frost support cards to make it worthwhile at the current Standard power level (which will most likely be even higher after the patch, of course).

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    All Shaman spells printed are going to be Frost Spells, calling it.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    forty wrote: »
    VS wrote:
    Big DH is possibly the worst deck in the format. We’ve curated its potentially best build, but we still don’t think it has a chance.
    Oh I am just so shocked.
    The last two times I have tried autocomplete, it has tried to get me to play Big DH. Stahhhp.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    VS wrote:
    Big DH is possibly the worst deck in the format. We’ve curated its potentially best build, but we still don’t think it has a chance.
    Oh I am just so shocked.
    The last two times I have tried autocomplete, it has tried to get me to play Big DH. Stahhhp.

The Ancient Void Hound must feel so lonely. :sad:

• Options
    More AV leaks. Remember that leaks may be falsified or subject to change.
    The new Expansion Alterac Valley will launch on December 7th.

A fight for honor: The time has come to take up arms! Starting today, players in Rifts in Alterac Valley can choose a faction by choosing one of two free golden legendary cards: the Shaman Elder Drek’Thar of the Frostwolf Clan for the Horde or the Mountain King Vanndar Stormpike for the Alliance. From December 7th to January 11th, each faction will receive unique quests where players will earn Honor Points by playing and winning games. The faction that earned the most honor at the end of the event will be declared the winner in the next mini-set, and all players will receive a diamond version of the victorious faction’s leader card.

New keyword: Honorable Victory. It has never felt better to give a servant the fatal blow. The Honorable Victory keyword grants unique bonuses for dealing the exact amount of damage needed to an enemy, such as reducing the cost of all spells or + 1 / + 1 for each honorable victory.

Mercenary heroes: After a year of battles, the mercenary heroes on both sides are hardened for battle. They are now hero cards with game changing effects – such as increasing a player’s maximum mana crystals to 20! With their powerful new battle cries and hero skills, these heroes can decide the outcome of the battle between the Horde and the Alliance.

• Options
    >Increasing a player's maximum mana to 20

BOY HOWDY, NOTHING CAN GO WRONG WITH THIS ONE AT ALL

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I appreciate hero cards for how cool they are, but they're also consistently a balance issue.

E: Trailer is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIwhIcQt86c

Oh, happy to see Tamsin is still around after her fight with Cariel. I was wondering how they were going to rep Warlocks with her being double dead.

Yilias on
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »

I'm trying to think of future gimmicks for future expansions. So far, I've got:

- both players can see each other's cards.
    - draw two cards each turn.
    - you have to play Mercenaries mode for 50 hours before you can buy the new expansion.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Well, if they just increase the cap then that's probably fine, you've still got to ramp there, it's not like games regularly last long enough to even get to 10 these days

• Options
    uved14p300081.jpg

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Well, it seems they're going with the WotLK auto-include in every deck power level.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    "how are we going to outpower questlines?"
    "i have an idea."

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Well, it seems they're going with the WotLK auto-include in every deck power level.

They probably think these need to outclass quests. Not realizing that players will just run quests AND the heroes. I really hope Warrior's Hero is pure garbage.

• Options
    looks like one of the sub-themes will be spells that represent locations, which confer buffs to your board for 3 turns

4boqpbm5ygrp.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    looks like one of the sub-themes will be spells that represent locations, which confer buffs to your board for 3 turns

Will be kind of cool if it actually changes the terrain on your side of the board.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Will be kind of cool if it actually changes the terrain on your side of the board.

*mobile footprint increases another 1 gig*

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Mobile framerate gets cut in half (from 4 FPS to 2).

• Options
    We've got patch notes too.

https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/news/23746636

Dynamic armor bonus in battlegrounds for weaker picks.

• Options
    End of year expansions are typically the most power-crept (presumably since they'll spend the least time in Standard), so expect all sorts of nonsense. Rastakhan's was really the only one that was weak.

• Options
    End of year expansions are typically the most power-crept (presumably since they'll spend the least time in Standard), so expect all sorts of nonsense. Rastakhan's was really the only one that was weak.

I'm still mad I got Gral the Shark in a card pack. :mad:

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    also because at the end of the cycle a new expansion needs more oomph to shake up the meta (counterexample: rastakhan's)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited November 2021

4boqpbm5ygrp.png

Oh it's kinda like that stuff from Runeterra

Except a lot worse, but

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Here's hoping VS or something is able to have a good suggestion of which faction legendary is more likely to be a meta card.

• Options
    Drek'Thar is a prime curve topper for any aggro deck that meets his condition accidentally. None of them do right now, but stuff like Token Druid or a Face Hunter that didn't run Trampling Rhino are solid future candidates.
    Vanndar requires playing a 'Big' archetype, is himself an awkward pull kind of likes Barnes was, and most of the 'cheat stuff out of your deck' effects already bypass mana cost.

However, Horde has historically been significantly more popular than Alliance, so it's pretty likely that Horde will win the event and you'll get Diamond Drek'Thar anyway.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Here's hoping VS or something is able to have a good suggestion of which faction legendary is more likely to be a meta card.

Have to wait to see all the revealed cards, but mana reductions have proven to be universally broken in most card games, so I'd guess Vandarr would be the strongest card at first glance.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    All players who complete the Quest chain will receive the same total end rewards, including a Golden copy of the enemy faction’s leader.
    Oh good, I guess it doesn't matter in the long run if you can grind for the other one anyway.

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Drek'Thar is a prime curve topper for any aggro deck that meets his condition accidentally. None of them do right now, but stuff like Token Druid or a Face Hunter that didn't run Trampling Rhino are solid future candidates.
    Vanndar requires playing a 'Big' archetype, is himself an awkward pull kind of likes Barnes was, and most of the 'cheat stuff out of your deck' effects already bypass mana cost.
    Yeah, this was my assessment as well. Building a deck around a card like Vanndar means the deck bricks if you don't draw him before long, and it's a total disaster if you're using him as a backup mechanic in a Big deck and he gets hit by any of the recruit effects.

Drek'Thar has obvious aggro potential, but today's Face Hunter is heavily carried by its 4+ drop synergy. Rhino does rotate next year, though, so maybe he'll show up in Hunter after rotation. Druid will need a totally different shell than anything we've got right now to take advantage of him. Even aggro decks usually have some potent 4-5 mana cards that clinch games, and trading all those for a one-of that you won't even draw 1/3 of the time is going to be tricky. Still, there's an obvious highroll blowout potential when he gets played turn 3 or 4 and shits out 8-10 mana of shit onto an aggro board.

I expect more people to pick Horde based on WoW metrics, yeah.

• Options
    Garrote
    Old: Deal 2 damage to the enemy hero. Shuffle 3 Bleeds into your deck that deal 2 more when drawn. → New: Deal 2 damage to the enemy hero. Shuffle 2 Bleeds into your deck that deal 2 more when drawn.
    Dev Comment: Garrote Rogue has performed quite well at higher ranks. This is a softer change aimed at increasing the breakpoint of Spell Damage needed from 2 to 3, while also making Armor a more effective counter to the strategy.
    This is a softer change? I mean this looked like it pretty much killed the deck to me, but maybe I'm overestimating it?

• Options
    Garrote
    Old: Deal 2 damage to the enemy hero. Shuffle 3 Bleeds into your deck that deal 2 more when drawn. → New: Deal 2 damage to the enemy hero. Shuffle 2 Bleeds into your deck that deal 2 more when drawn.
    Dev Comment: Garrote Rogue has performed quite well at higher ranks. This is a softer change aimed at increasing the breakpoint of Spell Damage needed from 2 to 3, while also making Armor a more effective counter to the strategy.
    This is a softer change? I mean this looked like it pretty much killed the deck to me, but maybe I'm overestimating it?

I mean, I saw Kibler lose to it today, so it can't be totally dead

• Options
    edited November 2021
    The armor change for BGs is better than nothing, I guess. It's at least a low effort way to help out the shit tier heroes a little if they're not going to buff their powers (or bench and rework them). Actual buffs would be better but I get that this is a little more sustainable and less jarring for players than frequent tweaking, but still, some of those heroes have been languishing for something like a year or more now. It's funny that this armor thing is finally happening now, since they floated that idea quite a long while ago and then we heard nothing. It's also cool to see an "official" tier list from Blizzard. Unsurprisingly, it seems to line up pretty well with HSReplay's free data.

Fun fact, it's been 2 years since Battlegrounds was released!

forty on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    The armor change for BGs is better than nothing, I guess. It's at least a low effort way to help out the shit tier heroes a little if they're not going to buff their powers (or bench and rework them). Actual buffs would be better but I get that this is a little more sustainable and less jarring for players than frequent tweaking, but still, some of those heroes have been languishing for something like a year or more now. It's funny that this armor thing is finally happening now, since they floated that idea quite a long while ago and then we heard nothing. It's also cool to see an "official" tier list from Blizzard. Unsurprisingly, it seems to line up pretty well with HSReplay's free data.

It's something they actually talked about before, varying health levels for different Heroes depending on winrates. They went with Armor, which is more or less the same functionality, I guess.

Probably just a small experiment to see if it moves the needle a bit. Or maybe just another knob they can turn for balancing purposes. I know for a fact this will help out A.F. Kay, for example.

But it also makes me think like why does Patchwerk even exist now, what is his point. Oh, I mean I guess he's getting somewhere between 5-8 Armor, but still. That used to be like His Thing, having more health. And sure, he still has the most health! But also, there's other Heroes now with higher health as well. Hm.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options

It's something they actually talked about before, varying health levels for different Heroes depending on winrates.
    Yes I mentioned that in my post, and how long ago that was.

• Options

It's something they actually talked about before, varying health levels for different Heroes depending on winrates.
    Yes I mentioned that in my post, and how long ago that was.

Holy fuck I have SUCH GOOD reading comprehension. SO good. The best.

I swear to god BRAIN

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Garrote

Well with the old one 4 bleeds @ 4 was 16 damage. Now it's 3 bleeds at 5 for 15. Still an OTK but you can't throw away one of your shadowsteps or augmerchants early game now

• Options
    g58qg2vb5vbp.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    g58qg2vb5vbp.png

That's some Hearthstone ass wording right there. Does it kill or obliterate the unit eaten? Will it trigger deathrattles? Can the eaten unit be revived? Does the unit come back if the Abomination is killed?

I'm guessing it's an Obliterate effect that doesn't trigger deathrattles, doesn't add that unit to the graveyard, and doesn't come back after being eaten.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page