As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the [chat]oneer

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Not sure I'm ready for another round of nerds jeering at other nerds to make themselves feel like they have marginally better taste

Dunking on ready player 1/2 for being amazingly blatant wish fulfillment for gross nerds sux; all sorts of genres of fiction are blatant wish fulfillment and dunking on some group of people's version of it is just a way of expressing sneering superiority to them

Dunking on ready player 1/2 for being aesthetically awful is less yucky but also it would not be the first time that wish fulfillment fiction was a blunt force instrument

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Not sure I'm ready for another round of nerds jeering at other nerds to make themselves feel like they have marginally better taste

Yes, every criticism of a book or a movie is only done to make oneself feel better, or to hurt someone else. It can't be simple amusement at a thing done badly.

I'm not sure I'm ready for another round of nerds jeering at nerds criticising something to make them feel like they're marginally kinder people.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    ready player one is the literary equivalent of the dead laura palmer funko

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Yes, every criticism of a book or a movie is only done to make oneself feel better, or to hurt someone else. It can't be simple amusement at a thing done badly.

I'm not sure I'm ready for another round of nerds jeering at nerds criticising something to make them feel like they're marginally kinder people.

You did spend this morning writing a good five or six paragraphs about a book you didn't read

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Not all my work is great but that is like bad writing.

It can't hurt to have an editor.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    bullying is cool and fun when you're doing it to someone else, especially if they are a dork

• Options
    For what it's worth it doesn't seem like a particularly well-written book.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    As far as wish fulfillment fantasy goes, Ready Player One was kind of weird in that the obsession was the most important thing in the setting from the start because of the whole contest plot instead of going the more normal route of "ha, they thought my obsession was useless but I can save the day with it!" like with The Last Starfighter and whatnot. Like nearly every important character is obsessed with that particular interest.

Couscous on
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    I just watched Hentai

Am I an animu now
    Depends, was it dubbed?

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    the only bullying that is cool is when you beat people in video games

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

You did spend this morning writing a good five or six paragraphs about a book you didn't read

This seems like it was meant to be a refutation of what I posted, but I don't see how. What's your point? That people shouldn't dunk on a thing they think sucks, or is badly written, or shows worrying views on a number of things? That people shouldn't say, as I did, that even though the writing seemed awful it might still be an interesting insight into a particular kind of wish fulfilment?

And yup, haven't read the books all the way through. Only read excerpts. And I said so! Maybe it's Tolstoy in the bits I haven't seen.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

I mean, sure, it's possible to overreact to criticism and surely it must be ~possible~ to make fun of something in a non-problematic way

But the RP1/2 critical discourse has a heavy focus on the posited deficiencies in character of the people who would like it (how pathetic is it to think that in the grim dark of the grimdark future, the one thing that will save us is a mastery of the catalogue of Oigo Boingo? What kind of loser wants a cookie for remembering the name of the first video to air on MTV? Grow up. etc.)

• Options
    trying to imagine the person that prefers dubbed hentai

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    At least we can all agree that Undertale is overrated.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Every time I read a ready player one / two excerpt, I’m convinced someone is doing a parody and it’s not actually a real quote

But then it is a real quote

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I think a lot of the dunking on Ready Player One was less "let's poke fun at this thing we think is bad!" and more performative dunking to look cool on the internet. Not that people in here are doing that, but the general twittersphere and such going out of their way to mock what was ultimately a forgettable thing. And the constant "Oh ho ho, look how clever I am for mocking this easy to read book that is basically just references to things the author liked!" came across as very tiring to me.

• Options

This seems like it was meant to be a refutation of what I posted, but I don't see how. What's your point? That people shouldn't dunk on a thing they think sucks, or is badly written, or shows worrying views on a number of things? That people shouldn't say, as I did, that even though the writing seemed awful it might still be an interesting insight into a particular kind of wish fulfilment?

And yup, haven't read the books all the way through. Only read excerpts. And I said so! Maybe it's Tolstoy in the bits I haven't seen.

Meh, ignore me, just in a foul mood this morning

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

Surely such a strawman does not actually exist

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    I just watched Hentai

Am I an animu now
    Depends, was it dubbed?
    Because weebs are subs.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

I want to meet a woman who voice acted for dubbed hentai, just once

• Options
    Just wait until we get to Ready Player 3 and 4 and they introduce the multi-tap and play a bunch of bomberman on PS1.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

EXCEPT EVROPA

ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    desc wrote: »
    Every time I read a ready player one / two excerpt, I’m convinced someone is doing a parody and it’s not actually a real quote

It's actually quite difficult to tell the parodies apart until they go over the line. I've read two today that I thought were genuine excerpts until a couple of lines from the end when they broke kayfabe.

• Options

I bet this is how people who hate wes Anderson movies feel

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/bf/4g5fpre1uj73.png

Linked as it has an image of a cartoonish butt.

Seeing memery infiltrate ads sure is a thing.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Atomika wrote: »
    Survey question:

I’ve read a lot of reviews of RDR2 that say the plodding pace, the slow animations, and the grinding nature of the quests is part of the charm.

Is this very very wrong, or just very wrong?

I honestly don't know, because I don't want to have my first experience with it being struggling to run it on my old rig

That said: you might not be the person to enjoy it, regardless. You have such an idiosyncratic taste in media. Popular fast-paced popcorn stuff - your Marvel movies and Call of Dutys - hate it!

AAA studio tries their hand at a deliberate, crafted piece of art? Hate it!

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    oh, I'm hours late

whatever, bait is bait

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfDIAZCwHQE

This is for people who hate Wes Anderson made by people who love Wes Anderson

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

yes!!

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    5hwc74zt889y.jpeg

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I think a lot of the dunking on Ready Player One was less "let's poke fun at this thing we think is bad!" and more performative dunking to look cool on the internet. Not that people in here are doing that, but the general twittersphere and such going out of their way to mock what was ultimately a forgettable thing. And the constant "Oh ho ho, look how clever I am for mocking this easy to read book that is basically just references to things the author liked!" came across as very tiring to me.

There can be a performative aspect to it (and all criticism), just as there is in everything designed to be seen by others. That's not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, though. Criticism should be entertaining and keep in mind it's to be read by someone else.

I guess what you're talking about is the critical equivalent of that hated, almost exclusively mis-used phrase, "virtue signalling". I hate this thing, therefore I am smart and good. I like this other thing, therefore I have good taste.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Oh noooo a Titanic documentary that talks about the coal bunker fire and blames it for the sinking oh nooooo

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    At least we can all agree that Undertale is overrated.

Nah

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »

yes!!

Gasp

The last threads of innocence fall from my eyes

MrMonster

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

EXCEPT EVROPA

ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE
    Pilot Bret Hutchings believes the object was most likely created by an artist

Right, an alien artist

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Okay so honest question, other than the part where it's a blatant invasion of privacy, what's so bad about that second RP2 tweet? The replies to the tweet are mostly people reacting in horror and I think I'm missing why it's so bad.

But I'm also sort of rolling my eyes at the people so eager to dunk on that book when there's tons of stuff in the same vein out there.

re: the hamfisted trans stuff
    Now I'm just a cis shitlord but there's a couple things that are pretty off about it
    * It starts with the assumption that you, the reader, should be disgusted, so why the narrator has to stop and explain why it's ok (with the fig leaf of the narrator musing about their past self's attitudes). I think if you want to include trans representation you're better off just putting it in as a thing that is normal and cool to all your chars, epically when it's in a story that isn't actually about trans issues.
    * The angle the author chose for saying it's all ok is just... "I've fucked em all!" which is shitty on a couple angles... one is part like, people suddenly being for women's rights when they have a daughter (i.e. I only care about other people's rights when I personally care about those people) and the other is that there's a lot of baggage around treating trans people as fetish objects and not just... humans.

It seems the author was well intentioned but also like... it also seems he didn't bother to ask any trans people what they felt about this passage.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    MrMister wrote: »

yes!!

I mean obviously wes Anderson is good so the comparison falls apart there but

• Options
    edited November 2020
    https://thehardtimes.net/opinion/opinion-two-hot-people-having-a-kid-together-is-eugenics/

I'm not saying they're right, because I don't want throw the eugenics accusation around in front of any possible 7s and above or accidentally irony myself into inceldom, but it is in fact the moral obligation for hotties to mate with notties

(hmm, actually, reading this article, the argument is actually kinda incoherent. but I will not withdraw my argument!)

Eddy on
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Okay so honest question, other than the part where it's a blatant invasion of privacy, what's so bad about that second RP2 tweet? The replies to the tweet are mostly people reacting in horror and I think I'm missing why it's so bad.

But I'm also sort of rolling my eyes at the people so eager to dunk on that book when there's tons of stuff in the same vein out there.

re: the hamfisted trans stuff
    Now I'm just a cis shitlord but there's a couple things that are pretty off about it
    * It starts with the assumption that you, the reader, should be disgusted, so why the narrator has to stop and explain why it's ok (with the fig leaf of the narrator musing about their past self's attitudes). I think if you want to include trans representation you're better off just putting it in as a thing that is normal and cool to all your chars, epically when it's in a story that isn't actually about trans issues.
    * The angle the author chose for saying it's all ok is just... "I've fucked em all!" which is shitty on a couple angles... one is part like, people suddenly being for women's rights when they have a daughter (i.e. I only care about other people's rights when I personally care about those people) and the other is that there's a lot of baggage around treating trans people as fetish objects and not just... humans.

It seems the author was well intentioned but also like... it also seems he didn't bother to ask any trans people what they felt about this passage.

Ah okay. I read it as more of a "I have spent time on the internet interacting outside the zone I grew up in and I got better perspective" kind of thing which is a story I have read a lot about people. Even on this very forum! But yeah, that makes sense. Well intentioned but needs improvement and discussion with actual trans folk.

This discussion has been closed.