As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ahsoka Tano thread [Star Wars]

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I agree with @AlphaRomero that the Luke/Grogu could have been spliced into a special that's released between seasons, because as far as I can guess, it won't have anything to do with the Boba/Mando stuff this season.

It's frustrating because this show has glimpses of cool ideas, but are horribly executed. You could have restructure a few things where Boba and the Tuskens still plays out the same, but the Tuskens are killed as a more direct result of the Pykes and spice running.

Then have Boba take over the crime family because he develops a soft spot for victims of spice. Shit, make it so spice is being sold to kids or something and he has no patience for that because he was a kid dragged into the life of crime, and is shutting that down.

Now you at least have a reason why Boba is reformed, and why he wants to take over the crime families on Tatooine. You can now reconcile cold blooded Boba with this reformed Boba.

We're on the last episode, I still don't even know what Spice is or does.

https://youtu.be/FxcKNs8R9AE?t=6

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Spice is an illicit drug that even bad men don't necessarily like or agree with its usage.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Preacher wrote: »
    I think Boba had more lines in the recap than in the actual episode.

Also, no way Cobb is dead. They very specifically showed him only taking one shot while Deputy Dipshit took like 3.

And I like that Luke is the living embodiment of “just because you’re good at something doesn’t mean you can teach it for shit.”

Which makes complete sense. Like I love luke the character, but at no point in the original trilogy is he shown to be a good teacher. Like he makes a great Jedi Knight, but I don't think he was ever really cut out to reestablish the jedi order, and tasking him with it was a doomed moment.

It's probably also because he's go the family gift for the force its hard to teach someone "look just do the force its easy like me someone who's the child of one of the strongest force users ever!" It'd be like me trying to teach math where math comes easy to me "look just figure it out."

He was trained to be an assassin. Obi Wan and Yoda gave him just enough training and knowledge to be able to beat Vader the the Emperor.

He was never going to be cut out to rebuild the order.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So yeah, I think my problem with this show is that they clearly mis-titled it.

It's not Boba Fetts show. It's a bridging show to set up Boba Fett, Din and Grogu for where they need to be for the upcoming series. The last 2 episodes have resolved the problematic ending of season 2 of The Mandalorian - Dins ship was gone, Grogu was sent away, he ended up with the Darksaber and didn't know how to use it. Fett was just back with not much but his ship and his credits.

My guess, is they want Fett to be a crime lord who they rely on in the big combined series going against Thrawn. So they put a chunk in the show of him starting that crime syndicate up (badly). They needed to resolve Dins problems so they could just hit the ground running with season 3 and not waste some episodes resolving all of that.

So they slapped this show together, put a bigger epmphasis on Fett, and called it The Book of Boba Fett. Din is obviously still the star of these shows - even Fetts new characters so far are, with the exception of Black Krrsanton and Garsa (presuming she survived - I really hope she did), all from The Mandalorian.

Really, they should have just called this another season of The Mandalorian, maybe The Mandalorian: The Book of Boba Fett, since they weren't actually making a full Boba Fett show.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I just really need to see Ashoka and Luke's first meeting now, because there's probably no one else alive who has as much to say about both Jedi and Anakin. Whatever that conversation was like we didn't get any hints of it here.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Holy shit what even is this show anymore?

Also Cad Bane has a dumb name but as a character he’s awesome. So I don’t mind this at all.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    In legends, Kessel Spice was absolute nightmare fuel. The spice mines weren't really mines; they were the tunnels inhabited by Spice Spiders, which were basically the ice spiders we saw go after Mando, except they spun razor sharp webs, were immune to blasters, and sucked the life out of people. Spice was made from their webs.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Aren't they doing an Ashoka series? Though the less we lean on Luke the better I feel the shows will be.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Ahsoka should be the connective tissue between the shows. Rosario Dawson, bringing special people together for problems too big for normal folk. This group of special people will be called: The (Space) Defenders.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

Also, no way Cobb is dead. They very specifically showed him only taking one shot while Deputy Dipshit took like 3.

And I like that Luke is the living embodiment of “just because you’re good at something doesn’t mean you can teach it for shit.”

Which makes complete sense. Like I love luke the character, but at no point in the original trilogy is he shown to be a good teacher. Like he makes a great Jedi Knight, but I don't think he was ever really cut out to reestablish the jedi order, and tasking him with it was a doomed moment.

It's probably also because he's go the family gift for the force its hard to teach someone "look just do the force its easy like me someone who's the child of one of the strongest force users ever!" It'd be like me trying to teach math where math comes easy to me "look just figure it out."

Now you have me imagining Rey trying to teach.

jothki on
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »
    If you ask that sort of question, you also have to start asking why the transports in ESB didn't just hyperspace skip to different planets, and why the rebel fleet didn't just exit hyperspace within the Death Star's shield in RotJ.

I think Rey would have an interesting way of doing it, having not really had a "real" instructor, if anything she'd be the most likely to start an actual new order, for good or for ill its hard to say.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    If you ask that sort of question, you also have to start asking why the transports in ESB didn't just hyperspace skip to different planets, and why the rebel fleet didn't just exit hyperspace within the Death Star's shield in RotJ.

They've actually done that some of the Lego specials, and it's not that far off but it makes sense there and she actually learns from her mistakes try to become a better legacy.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Ahsoka meeting Luke for the first time is one of the biggest big deal events I would want to see in Star Wars. Still kinda hope that scene gets made in the Ahsoka show, but I also hope Luke remains mostly a background character, doing his Jedi school thing, chillin’ with his ant-droids.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    What a weirdly paced episode. I feel like this should have been like episode 3 or so. We basically just got the Pykes rolling as a villain but there's one episode left so fuck them I guess.

It really does feel like they realized the first few episodes sucked during the writing process but didn't have time to fix them so they opted for a late game hail mary.

Cad Bane is still the coolest fucking character to come outta Clone Wars though. Just the pure Star Wars edition of "He's so dumb, BUT HE'S SO COOL"

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    What a weirdly paced episode. I feel like this should have been like episode 3 or so. We basically just got the Pykes rolling as a villain and there's one episode left afaik.

It really does feel like they realized the first few episodes sucked during the writing process but didn't have time to fix them so they opted for a late game hail mary.

Honestly they fucked up by telling the two stories at once. They should have just done it sequentially, then it would have at least watched better.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    They are getting a lot better with the CGI for Luke, the eyes for example, makes me think they watched corridor crew and their comments on it. Still a few spots were it was eeeehhhh but it was a significant improvement. The voice was a bit weird in some lines.. a little too flat

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

He was trained to be an assassin. Obi Wan and Yoda gave him just enough training and knowledge to be able to beat Vader the the Emperor.

He was never going to be cut out to rebuild the order.

As someone who thinks that Luke failing and become a bitter old hermit was a great story turn in the sequel trilogy, I have to disagree with this. He already proved he was cut out to be more than what he was trained to be by not killing Vader, and for it being Vader who killed the Emperor. (There are all sorts of questions you can ask about how much Obi-Wan's interactions post-death were the omniscient morality license, i.e. he said and did everything he did after his death in order to ensure Luke would defy his and Yoda's advice and not kill Vader. I assume for the purposes of this argument he was not playing omnidimensional chess to manipulate Luke into redeeming Vader.)

And then, we see, he learns exactly the wrong lesson from this and just tries to rebuild the old failure of a Jedi Order.

Then between Rey's headstrongness (headstrength? Is that a word? Screw you spellcheck, is now) and his own bitterness, he gives Rey exactly the right lesson--the basis of the old Order, in the form of the books (which she steals), and his own criticisms of it, allowing her to keep what works and discard what doesn't and build something new.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Honestly, out of the living Jedi we’re aware of at this point in time (Luke, Leia, Ahsoka, Cal Kestis, Cere Junda, Ezra Bridger), the only one I would think is even remotely equipped to actually start a new Jedi order and teach Padawans is Ahsoka, but she also probably has the least interest in it.
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I just really need to see Ashoka and Luke's first meeting now, because there's probably no one else alive who has as much to say about both Jedi and Anakin. Whatever that conversation was like we didn't get any hints of it here.

That's one thing that actually really bugged me in this episode - it feels like Luke and Ashoka meeting should be a big fucking deal. They're an intersection of all kinds of things! Really big things that should have a huge character impact on luke (and arguably on Ashoka too)

and... nope, we're skipping past apperntly. o...okay.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    What a weirdly paced episode. I feel like this should have been like episode 3 or so. We basically just got the Pykes rolling as a villain and there's one episode left afaik.

Honestly they fucked up by telling the two stories at once. They should have just done it sequentially, then it would have at least watched better.

The issue wasn't the split format so much it was the story was poorly told and a really bad fit for what we know of Boba.

Just as a random example, hardened mercenary Boba Fett is apparently completely shocked that interfering with a protection racket might make them resort to violence. You're left with a scene that is meant to be sad as he inadvertently gets his new tribe massacred but ends up reading as Boba being completely fucking stupid.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Yeah, it felt weird to gloss over it! Ahsoka finding out Vader is Anakin during their fight in Rebels was a big fucking deal. Like, every bit as much as Luke finding out in Empire. Those two have a lot of shit to talk about! And the wrongheadedness of the Jedi Order’s fear of attachment is only the tip of the iceberg.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    They are getting a lot better with the CGI for Luke, the eyes for example, makes me think they watched corridor crew and their comments on it. Still a few spots were it was eeeehhhh but it was a significant improvement. The voice was a bit weird in some lines.. a little too flat

I think it’s maybe a bit of Hamill trying to find his voice from his twenties and thirties again and how that might constrain the performance; his voice has gotten more gravelly over the years, so I’m not sure just how he gets it back there again

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

The CGI was a lot better, but it also created some weird shots where he didn't move enough or went to awkward lengths to not show his face. It also creates a weird spot where it is going to be increasingly awkward to recast Luke in this era.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

I think it’s maybe a bit of Hamill trying to find his voice from his twenties and thirties again and how that might constrain the performance; his voice has gotten more gravelly over the years, so I’m not sure just how he gets it back there again

wait, was the voice really Hamill? I thought they also had some sort of CG replacement thing for that too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They really need to just give Sebastian Stan a bowl cut and cast him as Luke.

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »

wait, was the voice really Hamill? I thought they also had some sort of CG replacement thing for that too.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/star-wars-the-book-of-boba-fett-episode-6-easter-eggs/?amp
    Who Plays Luke Skywalker in The Book of Boba Fett?

– Graham Hamilton and Scott Lang stand-in as Luke’s body doubles in The Book of Boba Fett, as opposed to Max Lloyd-Jones, who played the Jedi Master on The Mandalorian. Mark Hamill once again lends his voice, although that also sounds like it’s been digitally manipulated to sound like a younger Luke.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Why is Ant-Man slumming it as a Mark Hammil body double? Don't you have superhero stuff you're supposed to be doing?

• Options
    Why is Ant-Man slumming it as a Mark Hammil body double? Don't you have superhero stuff you're supposed to be doing?

Do you think if someone walked up to Scott Lang and said “hey you wanna play Luke Skywalker?” that he wouldn’t accept that in a heartbeat?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    “Headstrongness” is a word but words like, “stubborn,”“driven,” “confident,” or “reckless” are more ubiquitous.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Ahsoka should be the connective tissue between the shows. Rosario Dawson, bringing special people together for problems too big for normal folk. This group of special people will be called: The (Space) Defenders.

Can't believe you missed The A Team.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    “Headstrongness” is a word but words like, “stubborn,”“driven,” “confident,” or “reckless” are more ubiquitous.

As far as words go, ubiquitous isn't common.

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Lucasfilm actually hired one of those youtube guys who deepfaked season 2 Luke and improved it. Looks like they put him to work.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Cad Bane is great because Star Wars already has a couple of western gunslinger archetypes but until Cad Bane it didn't really have a black hat. He's nasty and irredeemable but also sticks very firmly to his little niche, he's not tryin' to like found a criminal empire or blow up a planet or anything. And also he only cares about the contract, so like if you beat him he'll just leave, he doesn't become anyone's nemesis or want revenge. It all adds up to making him a really excellent recurring villain, who can always feel like a legit threat, but you're also always kinda happy when he shows up cuz he's fun.

Also it was fun to youtube the reactions to his reveal and all the fans are just immediately like, "Oh no Cobb is so dead!"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    With respect to Luke's voice, I've read in a number of places that it was basically generated using a machine-learning algorithm using Luke's original lines as training data.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Cad Bane is great because Star Wars already has a couple of western gunslinger archetypes but until Cad Bane it didn't really have a black hat. He's nasty and irredeemable but also sticks very firmly to his little niche, he's not tryin' to like found a criminal empire or blow up a planet or anything. And also he only cares about the contract, so like if you beat him he'll just leave, he doesn't become anyone's nemesis or want revenge. It all adds up to making him a really excellent recurring villain, who can always feel like a legit threat, but you're also always kinda happy when he shows up cuz he's fun.

Also it was fun to youtube the reactions to his reveal and all the fans are just immediately like, "Oh no Cobb is so dead!"

It also made the duel both tense and the resolution perfectly in character for everyone. Anyone who recognized Cad Bane (even my wife, who hasn't seen anything he was in) knew Cobb was in trouble, but Bane was just going to deliver his threat and leave. When the deputy went stupid, Bane only neutralized Cobb (I'm sure he didn't care if he killed Cobb, but that wasn't the job).

I'd put it on the list with the final Obi-Wan / Maul fight as great Star Wars duels.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Boba Fett is like the least important character in his own show.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying the show, and I've loved all the Mando stuff, but it has felt out of place. For a show that hasn't minded going back and filling in the gaps, it's seems like the Mando stuff could have been saved for his own show.

Also, as someone who is really critical of cgi faces, I thought they knocked it out of the park. I'm going to hope they get bored and go fix Tron legacy.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So have they announced S3 will just be Justified in Space yet? Cause that's what I want to watch.

Bonus points if they bring in Walton Goggins

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    The sad thing is: I could absolutely imagine a Book of Boba Fett that takes an iconic cipher and makes him into something more rounded, that deconstructs the myth but still tells an interesting story. A Star Wars version of Logan, for instance. We've already got The Mandalorian, we don't need another version of the same kind of character that just happens to be called Boba Fett.

But that's not what we got. There are some interesting ideas in Fett's story here and there, but by and large the character comes across as tired and lethargic, and they definitely don't know how to tell a good Star Wars story with that kind of character at its centre.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    The sad thing is: I could absolutely imagine a Book of Boba Fett that takes an iconic cipher and makes him into something more rounded, that deconstructs the myth but still tells an interesting story. A Star Wars version of Logan, for instance. We've already got The Mandalorian, we don't need another version of the same kind of character that just happens to be called Boba Fett.

But that's not what we got. There are some interesting ideas in Fett's story here and there, but by and large the character comes across as tired and lethargic, and they definitely don't know how to tell a good Star Wars story with that kind of character at its centre.

Well you said it there. Mando already made the Boba Fett show people actually wanted.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    So have they announced S3 will just be Justified in Space yet? Cause that's what I want to watch.

Bonus points if they bring in Walton Goggins

"We dug coaxium together."

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
This discussion has been closed.