As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ahsoka Tano thread [Star Wars]

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure how much COVID had an impact here... Like, the Starburst Scooters chase scene had everything it needed - high-quality props, high-fidelity "Volume" backgrounds, etc. The problem with the scene was that the pacing, editing, and sense of speed were just completely off.

A lot of the show very much feels like someone who is very much in love with the 90's Action aesthetic and wanted to recreate it with a bigger budget. There's absolutely no reason you can't have a good fight scene, given the large quantity of quality choreographers and directors out there who will basically give you a frame-by-frame guide of what to put in the final edit. The problem is likely that the director wanted a big Wookie to swing his arms around and hit Boba Fett and then give him a big bear hug, and he wanted it to look a certain way. There's not a lot you can do about that other than change directors.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    This is the same shit as the sequel trilogy. I'm contractually obligated to tell a story (even happily so) versus I have an idea for a story that I want to tell people.

Hey, one ST movie had a story it wanted to tell.

and by George it was going to tell it, no matter who or what had to go under the bus. :(

And then the next movie threw it under the bus and went back and forth like 50 times.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Handkor wrote: »
    I'm still disappointed that they wasted the Sand People. Now they need muscle, we could've instead have flashback to Boba Fett uniting the tribes and setting the Sand People up to retake tatooine and have an army of them come down on the Pikes. If the tribe that helped with taking down the krait dragon shows up with the marshall's townfolk it'll be a big wtf writters.

They wasted tons of time on so many pointless plots.

The Tuskens just died off screen
    The Mayor just ran away
    The Hutts just left
    The assassins in ep 1 just vanished
    Now looks like they just blew up the Cantina that was setup as a location and never used for anything :shrug:

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    A good show has showrunners who make sure the whole thing feels cohesive even with different directors. This show ever ep feels like a different series completely.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    This is the same shit as the sequel trilogy. I'm contractually obligated to tell a story (even happily so) versus I have an idea for a story that I want to tell people.

and by George it was going to tell it, no matter who or what had to go under the bus. :(

And then the next movie threw it under the bus and went back and forth like 50 times.

Oh, I thought zoom meant tros in the first place

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Random speculation time!

The Armorer is:
    Duchess Satine Kryze

*Beer may have been consumed during this random speculation

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Oh, I thought zoom meant tros in the first place

No. RoS was awful, but I also have Issues with TLJ.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Random speculation time!

The Armorer is:
    Duchess Satine Kryze

Shes long dead, killed by Maul I believe

• Options
    Random speculation time!

The Armorer is:
    Duchess Satine Kryze

That would be more unlikely than Maul surviving episode 1.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Random speculation time!

The Armorer is:
    Duchess Satine Kryze

Maul was dead forever, and then brought back.

Death is only temporary in Star Wars

oh h*ck
  • Options
    "No one's ever really gone."

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Random speculation time!

The Armorer is:
    Duchess Satine Kryze

That just means this one is
    Saatiine Kryze, and/or half cybernetic-spider

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Oh no

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a38971109/cgi-luke-skywalker-mandalorian-book-of-boba-fett/
    Now, if all of this makes you want to make an amendment to your last will and testament, wait until you hear about Luke's voice. Hamill didn't record lines for The Mandalorian, according to Jon Favreau. In Disney Gallery: Star Wars: The Mandalorian, he revealed, "Something people didn't realize is that his voice isn't real. His voice, the young Luke Skywalker voice, is completely synthesized using an application called Respeecher."

Read this horrifying description of Respeecher from a sound editor who worked on the series, Matthew Wood: "It's a neural network you feed information into and it learns," Wood says. "So I had archival material from Mark in that era. We had clean recorded ADR from the original films, a book on tape he'd done from those eras, and then also Star Wars radio plays he had done back in that time. I was able to get clean recordings of that, feed it into the system, and they were able to slice it up and feed their neural network to learn this data."

Ah, yes! Slicing the sound of a human voice and feeding it into the salivating mouth of a neural network! So it can learn this data! Dear god. Putting cursed piece by cursed piece together, we can only assume that The Book of Boba Fett constructed its Luke Skywalker via a new and improved swirl of Scott Lang, the performance artist, and Respeecher. His mouth still moves kinda funny, but we were only mildly distracted by it this time. Kudos to Uncanny Valley, I think. And prepare yourself for any and every character in Star Wars history to stay preserved in carbonite, Lucasfilm bashing them together like kids with their action figures.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Ehhhhh. While I thought the CGI face was actually really good (seriously, I have zero real complaints with it, it was excellent!), I thought the voice was bad. Every line felt very stilted and unnatural.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Oh no

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a38971109/cgi-luke-skywalker-mandalorian-book-of-boba-fett/
    Now, if all of this makes you want to make an amendment to your last will and testament, wait until you hear about Luke's voice. Hamill didn't record lines for The Mandalorian, according to Jon Favreau. In Disney Gallery: Star Wars: The Mandalorian, he revealed, "Something people didn't realize is that his voice isn't real. His voice, the young Luke Skywalker voice, is completely synthesized using an application called Respeecher."

Read this horrifying description of Respeecher from a sound editor who worked on the series, Matthew Wood: "It's a neural network you feed information into and it learns," Wood says. "So I had archival material from Mark in that era. We had clean recorded ADR from the original films, a book on tape he'd done from those eras, and then also Star Wars radio plays he had done back in that time. I was able to get clean recordings of that, feed it into the system, and they were able to slice it up and feed their neural network to learn this data."

Ah, yes! Slicing the sound of a human voice and feeding it into the salivating mouth of a neural network! So it can learn this data! Dear god. Putting cursed piece by cursed piece together, we can only assume that The Book of Boba Fett constructed its Luke Skywalker via a new and improved swirl of Scott Lang, the performance artist, and Respeecher. His mouth still moves kinda funny, but we were only mildly distracted by it this time. Kudos to Uncanny Valley, I think. And prepare yourself for any and every character in Star Wars history to stay preserved in carbonite, Lucasfilm bashing them together like kids with their action figures.

y'know, i'd been thinking the long-term plan for these shows was probably to build towards like, a loose adaptation of the old thrawn trilogy centred on ahsoka, din, ezra, etc. instead of the original cast, but they're just gonna do the whole thing with deepfakes, aren't they?

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    That's equally incredible and terrifying at the same time.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Ehhhhh. While I thought the CGI face was actually really good (seriously, I have zero real complaints with it, it was excellent!), I thought the voice was bad. Every line felt very stilted and unnatural.

Just like classic mark Hamil!

Jokes aside RotJ Hamil is very “stilted jedi” in a lot of scenes and so it makes sense that pre failure luke might still have that inflection

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular

Wait how can we be sure you really typed that.

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular

Welcome to our horror show future.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Handkor wrote: »
    I'm still disappointed that they wasted the Sand People. Now they need muscle, we could've instead have flashback to Boba Fett uniting the tribes and setting the Sand People up to retake tatooine and have an army of them come down on the Pikes. If the tribe that helped with taking down the krait dragon shows up with the marshall's townfolk it'll be a big wtf writters.

They wasted tons of time on so many pointless plots.

The Tuskens just died off screen
    The Mayor just ran away
    The Hutts just left
    The assassins in ep 1 just vanished
    Now looks like they just blew up the Cantina that was setup as a location and never used for anything :shrug:

The mayor thing remains the funniest one to me. They showed him literally one time and then he ran away, never to return.

edit - and I should add what makes me laugh is that they can't stop bringing him up in the show.

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Welcome to our horror show future.

Bojack Horseman's bit about him being replaced with pure computer effects is right around the corner.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Someone did a CGI rework for the showdown:

Teeth are still wrong, but serious improvement.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I saw that, but I actually like the version from the show better. He looks older, a little more weary, but just as scary.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Honestly, I think the rework does a way better job of being intimidating. The lines of the scowl look way better when they aren’t interrupted by a bulbous snout. He looks like the “scary” grey from a SYFY original.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I find it utterly, utterly bizarre, even among Star Wars nerds, that somebody could be so annoyed by what was an excellent scene that they felt compelled to completely superfluously redo the shot. The original version looks like a badass alien gunman who just walked in out of the desert. The latter looks like it was made by somebody upset that the blue guy wasn't sufficiently blue.

This is right up there with people grumping that live-action Ahsako had head tails of a different length than the stylized animated version.

• Options
    This is right up there with people grumping that live-action Ahsako had head tails of a different length than the stylized animated version.

Well she did, and it's Ahsoka. :P

• Options
    It's not so much the colour but the position of the mouth on Bane, I think. Life action sits mich higher in the face. Probably because that's where the actual actors mouth is. Lower position makes the face a bit longer which works better with the overall character design.

Live action Ahsoka's head tails just look a bit boring and rubbery compared to animated or those of Shaak Ti in the prequels.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I dunno he seems fine compared with other Live Action duros?

j7ekn6fck02i.png

6or2uiuq5sn8.jpeg

Shriv and some Cantina duros for reference

Especially when you consider they had to tweak it for actually working the mouth instead of being a static mask for background actors to wear

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Duros and Neimoidians are the same species, n’est çe pas?

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Atomika wrote: »
    Duros and Neimoidians are the same species, n’est çe pas?

Eeeh, subtle enough differences. Heads seem shaped a bit more towards human for nemoidians, and they have more distinct parts to the eye (noticeably their pupil equivalent?) than duros do.

But there’s definitely kind of a similar “noseless blue-green alien with big weird eyes” vibe both have going for them.

EDIT: Oh hey no you’re right; evolution of one another:
    The Duros were also one of the founding races of the Galactic Republic. Years before the formation of the Republic, the Duros colonized the planet Neimoidia, giving rise to a genetically distinct "newer version" of Duros, the Neimoidians. The Neimoidians retained many similarities to their Duros cousins including basic form, noseless faces, and green skin (though Neimoidians tended to be grayer). However, in contrast to their ancestors, Neimoidians possessed pupils that split horizontally, lumpy foreheads, and perpetually frowning mouths. In addition, Neimoidians tended to be cowardly, greedy and fearful of death, whereas the average Duro was adventurous, gregarious and peaceful. Not surprisingly, one of the most powerful insults among the Duros was to be called a Neimoidian.[8] By the time of the rise of the New Republic, however, the Duros were friendlier towards the Neimoidians, and respected their business skills.[6]

Also hello weird space racial stereotyping, fan wiki.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Someone did a CGI rework for the showdown:

Teeth are still wrong, but serious improvement.

I like the rework but I think that's just because I watched all of Clone Wars.

The original is actually more unsettling to me than the rework but that might be a weird uncanny valley effect from watching all of Clone Wars so, I dunno *shrug*

Either way they both work for me but for different reasons.

• Options
    I think my bigger thing for the difference between versions is
    Burton toning down his performance for the live action one; there’s not quite the scenery chewing I’m used to for Bane there in his live action appearance.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I find it utterly, utterly bizarre, even among Star Wars nerds, that somebody could be so annoyed by what was an excellent scene that they felt compelled to completely superfluously redo the shot. The original version looks like a badass alien gunman who just walked in out of the desert. The latter looks like it was made by somebody upset that the blue guy wasn't sufficiently blue.

It's a youtuber who does a lot of fan video stuff for Star Wars. They weren't annoyed, and they've said repeatedly that they weren't trying to "fix" it; they just thought it would be fun to make a version that was more like the Clone Wars design, because that's the kind of thing they do. The next thing you know, they've got people jumping all over them, because someone wrote a clickbait headline, and some geese just need an excuse to be condescending.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

It's a youtuber who does a lot of fan video stuff for Star Wars. They weren't annoyed, and they've said repeatedly that they weren't trying to "fix" it; they just thought it would be fun to make a version that was more like the Clone Wars design, because that's the kind of thing they do. The next thing you know, they've got people jumping all over them, because someone wrote a clickbait headline, and some geese just need an excuse to be condescending.

Ah, so more like those dudes who discuss special effects, how they were done, and try to match them with their own techniques. That I can actually understand, since it's an exercise rather than "fixing" something that didn't actually need fixing.

So then good job to the creator because seriously, the episode isn't even a week old and they did multiple cinema-grade reworks of the shot.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Did Luke Skywalker give baby yoda a fist bump, did I see that right

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Who is Korkie Kryze?

I legit thought that you guys were setting up a weird, Star Wars themed Keyser Söze joke.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    Did Luke Skywalker give baby yoda a fist bump, did I see that right

That is 100% exactly what I saw.

• Options
    Someone in a Youtube review pointed out that Max Rebo wasn’t in the bar at the time of the explosion.

So the “Max Rebo is the True Dark Lord of the Sith” theory lives on!

• Options
    Max Rebo is clearly a student of the Bendu. How else would you explain having such perfectly balanced tunes

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Lanz wrote: »
    I think my bigger thing for the difference between versions is
    Burton toning down his performance for the live action one; there’s not quite the scenery chewing I’m used to for Bane there in his live action appearance.
    Aha, I thought there was something different about Bane's performance but my memory was fuzzy on his animated appearances.

I heard him start to talk and I was like "yaaay.... wait he sounds different somehow." The lack of cartoon villainy would definitely do it.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.