As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ahsoka Tano thread [Star Wars]

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Luke's attachment to his sister nearly sent him down the dark side. I'm not sure why Luke is supposed to be the antithesis of Jedi dogma.

His attachment was what was able to bring Vader back to the light side at the end

That's the thing about love, it can pull you in both directions. So the Jedi decided to dispense with the whole messy business, which worked out just great for them.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Well it did actually for a thousand years thats a pretty good record.

And really it was the republic that failed the Jedi, they used them for too much and in the end fell to a dark influence who turned the republic against their very defenders.

The Jedi has their failings, but its not like they were ruling planets and keeping slaves, it was the republic doing that bullshit.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    TLJ needed Luke to fail to tell it’s story, TFA just had him off on a big quest/lost in space as I remember. Can’t lay that at JJ’s door if that’s the case.

Once again, the relevant dialog from TFA
    REY
    Why'd he leave?

HAN
    He was training a new generation of Jedi. One boy, an apprentice turned against him, destroyed it all. Luke felt responsible... He walked away from everything.

FINN
    Do you know what happened to him?

HAN
    There're a lot of rumors. Stories. The people who knew him the best think he went looking for the first Jedi temple.

So yes, this is on JJ and Kasdan.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's partially on the Jedi for violating the "too old" rule to honor their fallen comrade. That rule likely existed specifically so the youngling hasn't develop long-term attachments to their parents.

Which is its own brand of fucked up, but that's Star Wars for you.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah the Jedi order isn’t all that different from the SPARTAN program.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Obi-Wan is like the only Jedi of significant power we've ever seen who seems to get by alright with something even close to an orthodox late-stage Jedi Order approach to the Force. And even he raged out in his fight with Maul after Qui Gon went down and had various attachments despite making efforts not to.

Yoda spent 700 years following dogma only to have, like, the aspects of an immortal Force demigod explain to him that he didn't understand the Force just a bit too late for him to do anything about what was coming. They're named after emotions, including anger, just to really drive the point home.

Mace Windu beats Palpatine--the official line is that he genuinely had him dead to rights--but was always considered the one who walked closest to the Dark with his aggressive methods (unless that's not anywhere in canon anymore). His ultimately fails as a Jedi and gives Anakin his last nudge because he wants to kill his enemy, regardless of laws or Anakin's distress or anything else.

Honestly, it's not too hard to track a depressing path from RotJ to TFA: lost with nothing to go on but old books that fill his head with the worst aspects of Jedi dogma, convinced he needs to be more detached and vigilant against the Dark, Luke ends up in a place where he can plausibly consider murdering his nephew before his decency kicks in.

Though one wonders why the Force Ghosts didn't help him to not fuck up, since a well-rounded view of the Force is like integral to their whole thing.

Kamar on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I like how Ahsoka is like, teaching Luke

• Options
    Force Ghosts show up to either give you a push in right direction or let you know you fucked up.

They don’t micromanage.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I would argue pretty hard that Ahsoka is the best “Jedi” of the current era, and it’s absolutely in spite of the Jedi Order, not because of it.

Kanan Jarrus is probably a solid number 2.

There’s a recurring theme of Jedi becoming better and more well rounded after leaving the Order.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Being one with the force probably means you have a lot better shit to do than guiding the living for every little thing.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Hot damn, they made Cad Bane so intimidating. I love it!

Space Raylan even calls himself a Marshall, lol, I had forgotten that, I thought he was a Sheriff there.

• Options
    Cad Bane vs Boba Fett is a fantastic idea for this show, and it's a REAL shame they've done a terrible job of leading up to a moment like that.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    TLJ needed Luke to fail to tell it’s story, TFA just had him off on a big quest/lost in space as I remember. Can’t lay that at JJ’s door if that’s the case.

Ehhh... TFA already established that Luke lost Ben to the dark side.

TFA has Han tell the heroes first hand that Luke felt responsible for one of his students going to the dark side and left to find the first jedi temple.

Now, given that TFA also establishes that the "one of his students going to the dark side" was Han's son with Leia. It becomes pretty obvious here that Han is underselling what happened pretty hard.

Luke was entrusted with his sisters child and he became a monster and destroyed everything Luke and his Sister had built. He felt responsible and left the wreckage.

Strictly and clearly the choice in TFA..

And a good one. Broken Luke is absolutely perfect and just what people needed to hear, even if they didn't want to hear it.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Cad Bane vs Boba Fett is a fantastic idea for this show, and it's a REAL shame they've done a terrible job of leading up to a moment like that.

While that’d be cool, I hope that at least one big moment is a rematch with Cobb. The gunslinger duel is just too cool, and they make great foils for each other.

This episode did a really good job of balancing the Western/Samurai influences of Star Wars, if nothing else. All the Luke and Grogu stuff was very Lone Wolf and Cub (right down to the ball/sword bit), while the Tatooine stuff was Sergio Leone as fuck.

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well it did actually for a thousand years thats a pretty good record.

Several thousand - but in that span, how many broken, fallen ex-Jedi (some of them Big Bads) did they end up producing?

(tbf, I also lay some of that on time in the GFFA being a flat circle and writers the Force telling the same stories over and over. "A life without love or attachments is really fucked up hard, and some people will just break if they try, especially if it's not of their own choice" is an easy, obvious plot for anyone who's not a Buddhist monk, and so people keep going back to that well for cheap drama EPIC TRAGEDY.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Wait a second. How did Luke get Yoda's saber?

Yoda lost it in Revenge of the Sith, and Wookiepedia says it was later destroyed.

Wookiepedia draws on a lot of stuff that was only kind of canon - it stands by assumption until it's contradicted by a higher tier or explicitly reconned in the same tier. Lucas wiped a ton of it out before but Disney nuked the whole lot because it's a nightmare of entangled copyrights and puts extension of the universe in almost any direction on rails.

After Luke's original lightsaber resurfaced my assumption is that there's a market for Jedi relics and lost ones are worth too much to stay lost. Probably worth enough to make a market for fakes, too, take the inner parts of a weapon with no special provenance and build a replica of a better known one around it.

Wookiepedia separates between legends (old) continuity and the Disney canon. Everything Disney-produces is supposed to be canon without any tiers. Comics, movies, and books, and video games are all equal (for now, anyway).

The current canon for Yoda's saber is he lost it, the emperor had it and its crystal destroyed with a bunch of other sabers, amd Yoda not wanting to build a new one. Then, somehow, Luke gets it.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So yeah, I think my problem with this show is that they clearly mis-titled it.

It's not Boba Fetts show. It's a bridging show to set up Boba Fett, Din and Grogu for where they need to be for the upcoming series. The last 2 episodes have resolved the problematic ending of season 2 of The Mandalorian - Dins ship was gone, Grogu was sent away, he ended up with the Darksaber and didn't know how to use it. Fett was just back with not much but his ship and his credits.

My guess, is they want Fett to be a crime lord who they rely on in the big combined series going against Thrawn. So they put a chunk in the show of him starting that crime syndicate up (badly). They needed to resolve Dins problems so they could just hit the ground running with season 3 and not waste some episodes resolving all of that.

So they slapped this show together, put a bigger epmphasis on Fett, and called it The Book of Boba Fett. Din is obviously still the star of these shows - even Fetts new characters so far are, with the exception of Black Krrsanton and Garsa (presuming she survived - I really hope she did), all from The Mandalorian.

Really, they should have just called this another season of The Mandalorian, maybe The Mandalorian: The Book of Boba Fett, since they weren't actually making a full Boba Fett show.

I finally had time to watch this week's ep, and yes I agree. It seems like this should have just been S3 of Mando...or like a special in-between seasons Mando mini-series or something.

Anyway episodes 5 & 6 have been gold so hopefully we end on a high note.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Sweet Enola Gay you nerds are insufferable sometimes

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Thoughts on next week:
    They will use the unaired Boba-Bane fight as a template. Just age them up 30 years.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Boba use a pistol and then do Jango’s fancy twirling move.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    On a different subject entirely, though I suppose it could come up in one of several different Disney+ shows in the future, I didn't realize the 'Korkie Kryze is the son of Obi-Wan and Satine' thing was more than just a joke thing fans thought up based on appearances, but like...something actively trolled by having Korkie constantly repeat things Obi-Wan did with the same camera angles etc.

The only official line on his parentage is that he isn't (wasn't?) Bo-Katan's son. And Filoni sort of danced around it while basically admitting you're supposed to be raising an eyebrow in one of those Hangouts things.

• Options
    Who is Korkie Kryze?

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Oh yeah, I immediately assumed he was Obi-Wan’s kid and always thought that was an only moderately subtle implication.

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Who is Korkie Kryze?

Officially, Satine Kryze’s nephew from an unspecified sibling (other than Bo-Katan).

He just happens to bear a strong resemblance to Obi-Wan, who had a forbidden fling with Satine.

minor incident on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Sweet Enola Gay you nerds are insufferable sometimes

This IS a star wars thread after all.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Here's my stupid pitch for the future of Star Wars.

The whole Jedi/Sith concept is obviously ridiculously flawed and stupid in that both sides are essentially fascistic in nature. This last episode really drove that home with Luke impressing that ridiculous decision onto Grogu about the direction of his life when he could easily do both.
    So, in the Rey timeline, she realizes that a true Jedi is one that brings balance through embracing both the light and dark side (hell maybe there aren't even 'sides' of the force and this is a false concept). So when Rey starts her new school (bonus points if it involves Cal Caestus and Ezra) it's a school that brings in both dark side and light side force users with the goal to bring balance to them.

Boom - now you've got Star Wars Harry Potter and Favreau et al make $Texas in profits.

Back in my day, when you were trainin’ with the Je’daii and the Bendu, back on ol’ Tython, you got an education in both sides.

Drifting too far to the light? Well, off ya go to the moon of Ashla to contemplate the darkness of the twin moon Bogan.

Falling to the dark side? Off to Bogan with you to study and meditate on Ashla’s light.

Darn whippersnapper Jedi and Sith and their tomfoolin’ exclusivity to one side or the other, not findin’ any balance in themselves or among others.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I like seeing Luke happy.

I like R2 shutting himself off.

I don't like we're ending on a Rodriguez

• Options
    I like seeing Luke happy.

I like R2 shutting himself off.

I don't like we're ending on a Rodriguez

That quick hint of Binary Sunset in the soundtrack when Luke and Grogu were up at the top of the bamboo was very nice.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    You mean a lightmachete

But Danny Trejo is already in the Star Wars universe as the Rancor's trainer though :P

• Options
    I wonder if something happened behind the scenes during production, it's really strange that we never see Boba Fett anymore.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    You mean a lightmachete

But Danny Trejo is already in the Star Wars universe as the Rancor's trainer though :P

OK, compromise: Grogu with the Darksaber and Yoda's saber wearing his chain mail and riding on Din's head while Din rides on the shoulders of Fennec and Fett while they ride the rancor, who is wielding Danny Trejo like a lightsaber

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I wonder if something happened behind the scenes during production, it's really strange that we never see Boba Fett anymore.

He is offscreen writting a book.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I think they always said that Book of Boba Fett would be like a season 2.5 for Mando. I don't think there's anything weird going on behind the scenes.

• Options
    Oh, I didn't know that. I wonder if BoBF is one season only in that case.

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Oh, I didn't know that. I wonder if BoBF is one season only in that case.

Considering the general consensus is that "it's shit", probably a safe bet.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    season two of the mandalorian wrapped filming in early March 2020, which was pretty incredible timing in retrospect. This would have been... after that.

looking at both, I think it's pretty likely that, directly or indirectly, covid is responsible for some of the weirder jank in this series.

i'm not saying "oh this was unavoidable" but just structurally, it really feels like something got crushed together as an emergency response, you know?

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    This is the same shit as the sequel trilogy. I'm contractually obligated to tell a story (even happily so) versus I have an idea for a story that I want to tell people.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    This definitely feels like all they could get was about 3 or 4 episodes worth of content shot during the pandemic and had to stretch it out for a full season.

• Options
    McRhyno wrote: »
    This is the same shit as the sequel trilogy. I'm contractually obligated to tell a story (even happily so) versus I have an idea for a story that I want to tell people.

Hey, one ST movie had a story it wanted to tell.

• Options
    McRhyno wrote: »

Hey, one ST movie had a story it wanted to tell.

and by George it was going to tell it, no matter who or what had to go under the bus. :(

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I'm still disappointed that they wasted the Sand People. Now they need muscle, we could've instead have flashback to Boba Fett uniting the tribes and setting the Sand People up to retake tatooine and have an army of them come down on the Pikes. If the tribe that helped with taking down the krait dragon shows up with the marshall's townfolk it'll be a big wtf writters.

Handkor on
This discussion has been closed.