As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e][pbp] The Wilds of Aladrion

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    "These guys just keep coming, don't they." Lex wonders rethetorically. Making his way thru the steam towards the beacon of fire Lex opens with a blow meant to take some wind out of it's sails. Connecting cleanly the monster is left reeling from the assault.
    Move to D7
    Standard Action: Dazing Strike vs Ball o' Fire
    Geth roll 1d20+12 for vs AC Dazing Strike
    Geth roll 1d4+6 for DS Damage

Lexan'dar Combat Info
    AC: 18 | Fort: 13 | Reflex: 18 | Will: 16
    HP: 24/39 | Surges: 6/7 | Surge Value: 9
    Speed: 6 | Initiative: 6 | Action Point: 1

POWERS
    A Sly Flourish (M/R, 12 vs AC, 1d4+10 dam)
    A Piercing Strike (M, 12 vs Ref, 1d4+6 dam)
    X Dazing Strike (M, 12 vs AC, 1d4+6 dam, target Dazed till End Of My Next Turn)
    _ Low Slash (Minor) (M, 12 vs Ref, 1d4+6, slide target 1, Slowed until EOMNT, if flanking +4 damage)
    _ Trick Strike (M/R, 12 vs AC, 3d4+6, Until End Of The Encounter: slide target 1 square each time you hit)

Combat Log
    Link to Map
    Lex moves to D7 and hits BoF with Dazing Strike for 10 damage. It is Dazed.
    Mouthy Monster: 13 / 42 Bloodied, Prone
    Swift Spined Scavenger 1: 13/34 Bloodied. 2 acid damage to attacker when damaged by the melee attack.
    Swift Spined Scavenger 3: 28 / 34
    Taciturn Tactician: 61/114 (-2 to all defences) Marked (Sinnder), Oath of Enmity (Korri)
    Great Ball 'o Fire: 61/71 Dazed
    Slippery Shadow: 25/25

vs AC Dazing Strike:
    1d20+12 31 [1d20=19]
    DS Damage:
    1d4+6 10 [1d4=4]

JPants on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Seeing an opening Lex decides to press the advantage. He unleashes a series of feigns culminating in a fanciful blow designed to throw the opponent off balance. Unfortuantely he narrowly misses his target, spinning fully around on the follow thru.
    Lex spends an action point.
    Standard Action: Trick Strike vs GBoF
    Geth roll 1d20+14 for vs AC Trick Strike
    Geth roll 3d4+6 for TS Damage
    Geth roll 2d8 for Sneak Attack

Lexan'dar Combat Info
    Speed: 6 | Initiative: 6 | Action Point: 0

POWERS
    _ Low Slash (Minor) (M, 12 vs Ref, 1d4+6, slide target 1, Slowed until EOMNT, if flanking +4 damage)
    X Trick Strike (M/R, 12 vs AC, 3d4+6, Until End Of The Encounter: slide target 1 square each time you hit)

Combat Log
    Link to Map
    Lex moves to D7 and hits BoF with Dazing Strike for 10 damage. It is Dazed.
    Lex uses an Action Point and attacks with Trick Strike. It misses.
    Swift Spined Scavenger 1: 13/34 Bloodied. 2 acid damage to attacker when damaged by the melee attack.
    Taciturn Tactician: 61/114 (-2 to all defences) Marked (Sinnder), Oath of Enmity (Korri)

vs AC Trick Strike:
    1d20+14 21 [1d20=7]
    TS Damage:
    3d4+6 10 [3d4=2, 1, 1]
    Sneak Attack:
    2d8 12 [2d8=6, 6]

JPants on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Lex had been counting on connecting with his second attack. Having failed that, and feeling vulnerable, he reaches deep down and draws out the darkness within, enveloping himself and those around him with magical darkness.
    Minor Action: Cloud of Darkness, Close burst 1

Lexan'dar Combat Info
    Speed: 6 | Initiative: 6 | Action Point: 0

POWERS
    X Trick Strike (M/R, 12 vs AC, 3d4+6, Until End Of The Encounter: slide target 1 square each time you hit)

Combat Log
    Link to Map
    Lex moves to E7 and hits BoF with Dazing Strike for 10 damage. It is Dazed.
    Lex casts Cloud of Darkness.
    Taciturn Tactician: 61/114 (-2 to all defenses) Marked (Sinnder), Oath of Enmity (Korri)

JPants on
  • Options
    @captaink you're up.

Man what a dissapointing turn. 1 point off on the attack roll and that could have been amazing.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I'm gonna try and hold back as many as I can!
    Sinnder uses Sword of Sigils

Geth roll 1d20+10 vs AC at SSS 1
    Geth roll 1d20+10 vs AC at SSS 3
    Geth roll 1d20+10 vs AC at Mouthy Monster
    Geth roll 1d8+5 for damage

Sinnder also continues to mark the Taciturn Tacitician. Minor action Aegis of Shielding

Combat Log
    Link to Map
    Sinnder hits the scavengers with Sword of Sigils, marking them and also marks the Tactician.
    Swift Spined Scavenger 1: 7/34 Bloodied. 2 acid damage to attacker when damaged by the melee attack. Marked by Sinnder
    Swift Spined Scavenger 3: 22 / 34 Marked by Sinnder
    Taciturn Tactician: 61/114 (-2 to all defenses) Marked (Sinnder), Oath of Enmity (Korri)

vs AC at SSS 1:
    1d20+10 24 [1d20=14]
    vs AC at SSS 3:
    1d20+10 29 [1d20=19]
    vs AC at Mouthy Monster:
    1d20+10 12 [1d20=2]
    damage:
    1d8+5 6 [1d8=1]

captaink on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    @joshgotro Bos is up

• Options
    DAMNIT! I just realized I could have saved my action point, AND cloud of darkness. Didn’t realize Low Slash had a slide on it also, and it would have hit Reflex with that roll.... so disappointed in myself...

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    @Korror I think we'll have Bos delay his turn if you'd like to step in.

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Even with effectively +8 AC from the smoke, words of exchange, Korri's previous attack, I don't think it's worth moving to get CA and provoking an attack of opportunity which still has a %25 chance to hit. The tactician is still my priority target both because my oath is on him and because I don't want him living and granting his flanking bonuses to his friends.

Korri blocks out the chaos of the rest of the battlefield as he continues his assault. The fire and the pain from the tactician's assault only increase the intensity of his attacks.

Start of Turn: Take 3 Fire damage, resisting 2 due to rune of protection. HP: 32/48.
    Movement: Shift to F9
    Standard: Attack Tactician with Bound by Fate using Heroic effort if both attacks miss. Bonus from Words of Exchange cancels out the penalty from the smoke.

Geth roll 1d20+12 Attack Roll 1
    Geth roll 1d10+12 Attack Roll 2
    Geth roll 2d12+7 Damage
    Geth roll 1d20 Saving Throw

Attack Roll 1:
    1d20+12 26 [1d20=14]
    Attack Roll 2:
    1d10+12 18 [1d10=6]
    Damage:
    2d12+7 27 [2d12=8, 12]
    Saving Throw:
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    A glowing bond forms between Korri and the Tactician, redirecting part of the harm dealt to Korri to the tiefling.

Until the end of Korri's next turn, the next time an enemy other than the Tiefling hits Korri with an attack while Korri is adjacent to the tiefling, Korri will take half of the damage and the tiefling will take the other half.

Combat Log:
    Sinnder hits the scavengers with Sword of Sigils, marking them and also marks the Tactician.
    Korri shifts to F9 and hits Taciturn Tactician for 27.

Swift Spined Scavenger 1: 7/34 Bloodied. 2 acid damage to attacker when damaged by the melee attack. Marked by Sinnder
    Taciturn Tactician: 34/114 (-2 to all defenses) Marked (Sinnder), Oath of Enmity (Korri) Bound By Fate (Korri)

• Options
    With the Tactician so low, I could spend an action point and get another attack in but I don't think it's worth unless we can finish him off this round. Bos, Ellandryn and Yona have yet to go but I'm not sure if they think they could finish him off. That -5 from the smoke for ranged attacks is going to make it difficult.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    @Korror I don’t really have a way to do a whole bunch of damage to him without using my Daily spell. I mostly do chip damage, area control, and forced movement.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    I say we blow what we need to, including dailies and AP's. This feels like a big fight and worst case scenario we can make camp to rest if everyone is out of resources. My 2c. For all we know we haven't even seen the boss yet, or the tactician can turn another mob into a big ball of fire baddy.

Ellandryn is probably better set to help Yona than finish the tactician, would be my guess. Also the ball of fire should be fairly harmless this turn, what with only getting one action and being blinded if they don't move.

• Options
    Alright, I think you're right and I'm going to use my action point and daily. This tactician seems like the kind of guy to have something up his sleeve and I'd like to finish the job before he gets another chance to act. Give me a few minutes to use my action point and make the post.

• Options
    FINISH HIM!

• Options
    Taking a moment to survey the battlefield, Korri is not heartened by what he sees. He sees Lex stumbling away from the fire element. Bos and Sinnder are tied up with a swarm of daemons. Ellandryn is lost somewhere in this sudden mists and Yona ... seems to be fighting her own shadow? His companions need him more than even and Korri draws deeply into his divine connection.

"BLASPHEMERS! YOU HAVE TRESPASSED WANTONLY IN FORBIDDEN ARTS. NOW RECEIVE YOUR JUDGEMENT"

Korri's face goes blank as the words spring unbidden from his throat. With Ioun's power coursing through him, he delivers a mighty blow to the tactician in front of him.

Use Action Point to use with Aspect of Might. Use Heroic Effort if needed.

Geth roll 1d20+12 Attack roll 1
    Geth roll 1d20+12 Attack roll 2
    Geth roll 3d12+6 Damage

Aspect of Might gives Korri +2 to speed, +2 to damage, +5 athletics until the end of the encounter.

Attack roll 1:
    1d20+12 20 [1d20=8]
    Attack roll 2:
    1d20+12 17 [1d20=5]
    Damage:
    3d12+6 19 [3d12=4, 6, 3]

• Options
    edited March 2021
    The tactician almost dodges out of the way but Korri pulls divine energy from his reserves and drives his attack home. Expends Heroic Effort to convert attack roll 1 into a hit.

Urg, that was a lower damage roll than I was hoping for. I know I sequenced that poorly but I wasn't planning on using this daily in this fight. Oh and it should be for 1 more damage than I had in the above post, my censor of unity gives bonus damage for allies adjacent to the target, not adjacent to me.

Combat Log:
    Korri uses an action point and hits the Tactician for 20.

Taciturn Tactician: 14/114 (-2 to all defenses) Marked (Sinnder), Oath of Enmity (Korri) Bound By Fate (Korri)

Korror on
  • Options
    I can grant a reroll to anyone else who wants to attack the tactician this round via Divine Guidance. We might still be able to finish him off between two of you.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Ah is Yona up

"What the- Agh!" Yona clutches her gash from the shadow's attack. Seeing it recede back into her shadow, and having a poor idea of the condition of the rest of the battlefield due to the steam cloud, she decides to move down off the stairs closer to the rest of the party.

Move action: to E-4

"Child of the forest, aid me!" With a flourish, a wolf leaps out impossibly from the space from under Yona's wing-design cloak, and spins back to face her as it lands next to her, instinctively knowing the nature of the threat from Yona's thoughts.

Standard Action: Summon Natural Ally at E-3.
    Statblock:
    Animal Companion: Pack Wolf
    Level 1 Summoned Creature
    Statistics: Medium (natural beast), Speed: 6
    Hit Points: your bloodied value (20)
    Healing Surges: None, but you can expend a healing surge for the
    cobra if an effect allows it to spend one

Standard Action: At-Will
    Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); your level (4) + 5 vs. Reflex
    Hit: 1d10 + your Wisdom modifier (+4) damage, and the target falls
    prone.

Minor Action: At-Will (1 /round)
    Effect: The wolf either walks, shifts, runs, stands up, squeezes, or
    crawls.

Instinctive Effect: If you haven't given the wolf any commands by the
    end of your turn, it attacks an adjacent enemy if it can. Otherwise, it
    moves up to its speed to a square adjacent to an enemy.

No further actions, so the wolf's uncommanded instinctive effect will take place, causing it to attack an adjacent enemy, and knock it prone if it hits.

Geth, roll 1d20+9 for vs. shadow's reflex (20 because it's attached)
    Geth, roll 1d10+4 for damage on shadow

Sadly, the shadow is very hard to pin down and the wolf simply snarls and smooshes his snout into the puddle on the ground.

vs. shadow's reflex (20 for it's attached):
    1d20+9 18 [1d20=9]
    damage:
    1d10+4 7 [1d10=3]

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @joshgotro Bos is next up I think

Combat Log:
    Yona moves to E4
    Yona summons Pack Wolf at E3
    Pack Wolf attacks Slippery Shadow, misses

Taciturn Tactician: 14/114 (-2 to all defenses) Marked (Sinnder), Oath of Enmity (Korri) Bound By Fate (Korri)

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    And me; I haven't gone yet. I'll go after Bos, though, since I'm likely to mess up his targeting.

• Options
    @joshgotro Ping!

• Options
    I sent a message to Josh but haven’t heard back and he hasn’t logged in recently so I think for now if anyone would like to take his turns until he gets back, in the interest of keeping things moving.

@Elvenshae @JPants @Korror @captaink @bahamatzero @joshgotro

• Options
    Suggest Bos shifts to E9 and uses his encounter power against the tactician. it only does 1d8 + 5 damage but it will give +2 damage which might help Ellandryn finish him off. Hit chance is low because of the steam and the high AC on the tactician but I do have a reroll to help him out.

• Options
    I won't be able to look at sheets/map until after work so no suggestions from me until then but I say don't wait for me if anyone has a good plan. If he's got an AP i think burning that would be worth it to kill the tactician.

• Options
    second what Korror said

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    @Korror has a good plan - Executioner's Call, right?

• Options
    Yea, Executioner's Call. I'm a bit busy at the moment so I'd prefer if someone else made the official rolls. Confirming that I'll use divine guidance if the attack misses. I suppose we could also use the second healing word on myself or Yoda. I wouldn't mind it as it would give me another chance to make a saving throw for the fire.

• Options
    I'll be avail to make the move in 3-4 hours, if no one can sooner than that.

• Options
    Okay. How would Bos do this ...

Stepping back slightly, the large minotaur calls out, "I'll smash him so you don't have to, Elf!"
    Base attack with Executioner's call is 1d20+11. The tactician has a -2 to all defense, and the fog is providing a -2 to all attacks.

Geth, roll 1d20+9 for vs Tactician AC 20
    Geth, roll 1d8+5 for damage

Combat Log
    Yona moves to E4
    Bos shifts to E9 and uses Executioner's Call against the Tactician.

vs Tactician AC 20:
    1d20+9 13 [1d20=4]
    damage:
    1d8+5 11 [1d8=6]

• Options
    edited March 2021
    As Bos is about to strike, Korri shouts out a word of encouragement, and a brief flicker of silver radiance shines on the minotaur's sword. It slams into and through the water, hitting the stone below it as the shards of silver magic dissipate - just missing the tiefling by a hair's breadth.

Undeterred, the Minotaur raises his hand in the air and incribes a mystic rune. Korri suddenly feels energized, and everyone nearby feel a whisper of divine presence watching over them.
    Geth, roll 1d20+9 vs Tactician AC 20

Combat Log
    Yona moves to E4
    Bos shifts to E9 and uses Executioner's Call against the Tactician, which misses; Bos uses the reroll from Korri, but still misses. Minor action to use Rune of Mending; Korri can spend a healing surge and everyone except Yona gets +1 to all defenses until EONT (Bos). (ED: Yona gets it to; counting to 5 is hard!)
    Taciturn Tactician: 14/114 Bloodied, (-2 to all defenses) Marked (Sinnder), Oath of Enmity (Korri) Bound By Fate (Korri)

Heroes: +1 to all defenses until EONT (Bos)

vs Tactician AC 20:
    1d20+9 16 [1d20=7]

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Well at least I get some healing out of this and a saving throw from Bos's feat.

Korri HP 44/48

Geth roll 1d20 Saving Throw

Saving Throw:
    1d20 8 [1d20=8]

Korror on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Ellandryn turns, catching glimpses of Yona through the fog, but briefly, and it is not quite enough for him to notice that her shadow is behaving oddly. So Ellandryn turns back and continues his psychic assault on the enemies facing him and his friends. The blazing torch creature reels under his attack, as do a couple of the other enemies, but the tiefling is unaffected; perhaps its helmet is blocking some of Ellandryn's magic?
    4 Psychic damage, Push 4 on a hit.

Geth, roll 1d20+8 vs Fire Will 19
    Geth, roll 1d20+8 vs Spiny 1 Will 13
    Geth, roll 1d20+8 vs Spiny 3 Will 13
    Geth, roll 1d20+8 vs Mouthy Will 12
    Geth, roll 1d20+8 vs Tactician Will 19

Damn those rolls are bad ...

Ellandryn Combat Info
    AC: 17 | Fort: 13 | Reflex: 17 | Will: 18
    HP: 26/32 | Surges: 6 | Surge Value: 8
    Speed: 6 | Initiative: 4 | Action Point: 0

POWERS
    A Beguiling Strands (Close Blast 5, +8 vs Will, 4 Psychic + Push 4)
    A Howling Wall (Wall 6 within 10, +8 vs Fort, Slide 3)
    X Orbmaster's Incendiary Detonation (Burst 1 within 10, +8 vs Ref, 1d6+5 Force + Prone; or Burst 2 within 10, 1d6+3 Force + Prone; zone 2 Fire)
    _ Pinioning Vortex (10, +8 vs Fort, 2d6+5, Slide 2 up + Dazed + Immobilized + Combat Advantage until start of target's turn)
    _ Noble Presence (Move; Close Burst 3, one or two allies Shift 2 as a free action, +2 power bonus to all Defences until EONT)
    X Fey Step (Move; Teleport 5)
    _ Arcane Whirlwind (Burst 2 within 10, +8 vs Ref, 2d6+5 Thunder + Slide 2, Miss Half, Zone: minor Slide 3, move move zone 6, sustain minor)

Combat Log
    Link to Map
    Yona moves to E4
    Bos shifts to E9 and uses Executioner's Call against the Tactician, which misses; Bos uses the reroll from Korri, but still misses. Minor action to use Rune of Mending; Korri can spend a healing surge and everyone except Yona gets +1 to all defenses until EONT (Bos).
    Ellandryn uses Beguiling Strands on the back half of the room again.
    Mouthy Monster: 9 / 42 Bloodied, Prone
    Swift Spined Scavenger 3: 18 / 34 Marked by Sinnder
    Taciturn Tactician: 14/114 Bloodied, Marked (Sinnder), Oath of Enmity (Korri), Bound By Fate (Korri)
    Great Ball 'o Fire: 57/71 Dazed

vs Fire Will 19:
    1d20+8 19 [1d20=11]
    vs Spiny 1 Will 13:
    1d20+8 11 [1d20=3]
    vs Spiny 3 Will 13:
    1d20+8 14 [1d20=6]
    vs Mouthy Will 12:
    1d20+8 14 [1d20=6]
    vs Tactician Will 19:
    1d20+8 10 [1d20=2]

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Hey, team, the big numbers on the dice are the ones you want to land facing up. Just a protip because we've all apparently forgotten that this round. :D

Downside of virtual gaming: it's harder to discipline your dice by making an example of the underperforming ones.

Also, forgot to mention @Kelor that our turns are complete now.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    also @Kelor could you put down a token for my summoned wolf
    e: nevermind I figured out how to do it

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    also Kelor could you put down a token for my summoned wolf
    e: nevermind I figured out how to do it

Whosagoodboyden?

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hey, team, the big numbers on the dice are the ones you want to land facing up. Just a protip because we've all apparently forgotten that this round. :D

Downside of virtual gaming: it's harder to discipline your dice by making an example of the underperforming ones.

Also, forgot to mention @Kelor that our turns are complete now.

When i had my terrible rolls I thought "at least everyone else should have a better turn than me..."

• Options
    Mechanics question: If the shade gets forcibly moved (push or slide or whatever) does it un-meld with Yona? or would it fail? Slide them both?

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Yona gets to make a saving throw at the end of her turn to escape the Shadow.

Mechanically it works like a grab, it's just that it is attached to Yona's shadow. If you can manage to shift it outside of her adjacent squares I'll say that would break the meld.

Geth, roll 1d20 to break shadow meld.

to break shadow meld.:
    1d20 1 [1d20=1]

Kelor on
  • Options
    JPants wrote: »
    Mechanics question: If the shade gets forcibly moved (push or slide or whatever) does it un-meld with Yona? or would it fail? Slide them both?

Un-shadowing Yona was actually my original plan, but then she hopped down off the stairs so I wouldn’t have been able to push the shadow up them into the sunlight.