As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4e][pbp] The Wilds of Aladrion

2456722

Posts

  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Okay but where are y'all finding these awesome pictures??

    Tox on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Almost Indiana Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Okay but where are y'all finding these awesome pictures??

    Like most of my GIS, [insert race + class(or weapons)]

    does it?
    ToxElvenshae
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I save images I find inspiring for character concepts when I run across them, mine's from https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/60855983
    I find a lot of amazing professional grade character work on Pixiv and Artstation
    also yeah often "genre race gender class/weapon" image searches

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    joshgotroElvenshae
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Almost Indiana Registered User regular
    @Kelor
    Kelor wrote: »
    Two hours later, the prospective adventurers are gathered once more. Adina's wings near glow as the morning sun filters through feathers and her voice carries resonantly through the cool morning air. The archivist Elegor stands by her side, standing with a more informal pose and discussing some matter with a Thelian aide from the Library.

    “My lady thanks you coming forward to fulfill the Bargain. We are here today to share what information we can that might prepare or aid you in your travel. I have also been given two requests to consider when planning your journey.”

    As Adina continues, Golarios soars down from the sky in a flare of wings, his leonine body gracefully landing on enormous paws upon the polished stone of the courtyard. He pads over to Adina and settles down on hind legs, flanking her from the other side.

    “Lady Melora has asked that you find a find a great stag in the forest to the west that has been wounded and aid it. Lord Moradin with the help of my lady has scryed a set of tools of interest to him deep in the hills to the southwest. He bade me warn you that they have been taken by a group of savages that lust for blood. As to the fates of those who went before you, Bortithor had time to get out some details of what they encountered before succumbing to his injuries.”

    Adina sweeps a hand about in encouragement to Golarios. Who picks up with a rumbling tone. “Friend Bortithor spoke of three things before he passed. First, of a passage between a ring of mountains, filled with enormous green thorns they found impenetrable. Second, of a green tower rising into the sky and third that they found tracks and indications of some sort of monstrous beast that claims the forest as it’s territory.”

    Elegor chimes in as Golarios finishes; “I examined Bortithor upon his return to the city. He died of a massive poison influx as a result of being stung repeatedly what it appears some kind of wasp stings but they would have to be simply enormous.”

    Adna returns to the thread of the conversation; "A discussed earlier, we encourage you to discuss the situation among yourselves and of what use your skills and knowledge might bring to the service of your people."

    When reading Bos dialogue, you should be hearing Ray Winstone, with his true accent.

    Moradin shall have his tools!

    Bos moves deliberately away from the gathered adventurers, laying his duffel slowly to the ground.

    But this stag. Shall it be brought back here as well? A celebratory feast perhaps?

    does it?
    ElvenshaeBahamutZERO
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Kelor
    Kelor wrote: »
    Two hours later, the prospective adventurers are gathered once more. Adina's wings near glow as the morning sun filters through feathers and her voice carries resonantly through the cool morning air. The archivist Elegor stands by her side, standing with a more informal pose and discussing some matter with a Thelian aide from the Library.

    “My lady thanks you coming forward to fulfill the Bargain. We are here today to share what information we can that might prepare or aid you in your travel. I have also been given two requests to consider when planning your journey.”

    As Adina continues, Golarios soars down from the sky in a flare of wings, his leonine body gracefully landing on enormous paws upon the polished stone of the courtyard. He pads over to Adina and settles down on hind legs, flanking her from the other side.

    “Lady Melora has asked that you find a find a great stag in the forest to the west that has been wounded and aid it. Lord Moradin with the help of my lady has scryed a set of tools of interest to him deep in the hills to the southwest. He bade me warn you that they have been taken by a group of savages that lust for blood. As to the fates of those who went before you, Bortithor had time to get out some details of what they encountered before succumbing to his injuries.”

    Adina sweeps a hand about in encouragement to Golarios. Who picks up with a rumbling tone. “Friend Bortithor spoke of three things before he passed. First, of a passage between a ring of mountains, filled with enormous green thorns they found impenetrable. Second, of a green tower rising into the sky and third that they found tracks and indications of some sort of monstrous beast that claims the forest as it’s territory.”

    Elegor chimes in as Golarios finishes; “I examined Bortithor upon his return to the city. He died of a massive poison influx as a result of being stung repeatedly what it appears some kind of wasp stings but they would have to be simply enormous.”

    Adna returns to the thread of the conversation; "A discussed earlier, we encourage you to discuss the situation among yourselves and of what use your skills and knowledge might bring to the service of your people."

    When reading Bos dialogue, you should be hearing Ray Winstone, with his true accent.

    Moradin shall have his tools!

    Bos moves deliberately away from the gathered adventurers, laying his duffel slowly to the ground.

    But this stag. Shall it be brought back here as well? A celebratory feast perhaps?

    Yona, a diminutive young woman in a robe with an owl on her shoulder, face perpetually hidden under her hood as usual, turns and crosses her arms as she overhears Bos' musings. "Oaf! We are offering aid to the noble creature. To have attracted the attention of the lady Melora, it must be no ordinary stag, perhaps a spirit of of the forest and a potential ally." She lets out an exasperated sigh. "Clearly this expedition will need our guidance."
    The owl hoots.
    "Yes, obviously we're going too! I suspect this one will need our help not eating every poisonous berry he sees." She gestures dismissively towards Bos.

    e: pruned that notify

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    joshgotroElvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Ellandryn lays his fingers along his chin, in thought. "It seems, I think, that the expedition to aid the stag must must come first. As the animal is wounded, it would make easier prey for any predator, and so exploring elsewhere is like to leave us rescuing its bones at best. And I would rather a walk in the woods than climbing through the hills, if I must be honest."
    For "mundane" gear, like ritual supplies, about how much should we assume we have access to?

    joshgotro
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    For "mundane" gear, like ritual supplies, about how much should we assume we have access to?

    @Elvenshae Unfortunately the same process that prevents Thelian enchanted items from crossing out of the valley also prevents residuum from doing the same for ritual usage. (Residuum is a white powder-like substance that is obtained from disenchanting magical items for those new to 4e and can be used in rituals in place of ritual components regardless of which skill the ritual is based on)

    Standard ritual components work though, and you may take 50gp worth of them (divided any way you wish, and for ease of use it won't weigh anything) with you each trip.

    ElvenshaeBahamutZERO
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Had problems getting the character builder to work this weekend so I will be trying to build a character the old fashioned way this evening. If I miss the group heading out then I am fine waiting for the next opportunity to join up.

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You know, worse comes to worst, we could always just do the, "Why, yes, of course [@JPants's Character Name] was here the whole time, just off-camera" trick ...

    BahamutZERO
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Sinnder
    A great hunt, whether to slay or save, seems the appropriate way to stretch our legs. Something we have not been able to do in the years since our arrival, and we'd have a great deed to our names.

    Elvenshaejoshgotro
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    JPants wrote: »
    Had problems getting the character builder to work this weekend so I will be trying to build a character the old fashioned way this evening. If I miss the group heading out then I am fine waiting for the next opportunity to join up.

    @JPants Sorry to hear that, it can be fickle.

    You can use this database and filter by rogue powers and feats to see all the additional content that was written beyond the PHB.

    JPantsElvenshaejoshgotroLabel
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ooc: how many years has it been since we arrived?

    BahamutZERO.gif
    Elvenshae
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Eight years since you arrived. Dawnbreak already existed, it took a few years for everyone to settle in and people are still dealing with losing their entire world.

    Elvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Anyone know where in the Character Builder you can buy arbitrary Ritual Focuses (Foci? Focii? Focusesi?)? I'd love to have them properly tracked, but I can do it by-hand if necessary.

    I think we have 2 ritual casters in the group; @BahamutZERO, you want to just split the issued components 50/50 (25/25)?

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    was it 50 GP of components total or 50 GP per person
    if it's total yeah we can split them half and half, all my rituals are nature

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Poor explanation on my part maybe, you get 50gp each of components. They get divvied up between the skills behind each spell.

    Once you get your hands on residuum that can just be used on all. The builder now I think about it might not show them.

    You can find full descriptions here.

    Elvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah - the builder has line items in the Adventuring Gear section for each of the types: Alchemical Reagents (Arcana), Rare Herbs (Nature), etc.

  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Finally got the character builder working last night right before I had to sleep so today after work I will finish up a character and post it. Don't feel like you need to wait on me for anything, I can just step into the flow of whats going on (assuming that works for Kelor)

    joshgotroElvenshaeKelor
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Is this still open for recruitment? I've never done pbp before but I have played a lot of 4e D&D and am very excited about the idea of combining 4e with Westmarches style campaign.

    If it is still open, I have some questions. What's the activity level requirement? I'm available most of the day during the week but there are weekends where I'm away from my computer and would unable to respond in a quick manner. Could I leave my character with preprogrammed instructions so that I'm not holding everyone else up?

    I have a bunch of old prebuild 4e characters, if there's space I'll probably try to pull out of the more self-sufficient builds rather than one that requires a specific party.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    joshgotroElvenshae
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    recruitment is still open I'm pretty sure, Kelor wanted 8-10 players to start and we have like 5 or 6 right now

    BahamutZERO.gif
    Elvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Lexan'dar
    Drow Rogue 3
    0snvy4bc6d8p.png

    Background:
    Before coming to Aladrion, Lexan'dar lead a modest, if not entirely legal, life. A thief of no renowned what-so-ever (by design, of course), Lex was quite well versed in a wide array of the Arts of Skullduggery. A quick grift here, some second story work there, a few heists and even a long con or two were how he filled his days. That all changed with his arrival in Dawnbreak. Determined to answer Ioun's call Lexan'dar has spent his time since arrival by training his combat abilities in anticipation of testing himself against the dangers beyond the valley.

    Stats:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Lexan'dar, level 3
    Drow, Rogue
    Build: Trickster Rogue
    Rogue Tactics: Artful Dodger
    Rogue: Rogue Weapon Talent
    Darkfire: Darkfire Charisma
    Background: Occupation - Thief (+2 to Stealth)

    FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 12, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 17.

    STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 12, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 15.


    AC: 17 Fort: 12 Reflex: 17 Will: 14
    HP: 34 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 8

    TRAINED SKILLS
    Stealth +14, Thievery +10, Bluff +9, Athletics +7, Acrobatics +10, Perception +7

    UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +2, Heal +2, History, Insight +2, Intimidate +6, Nature +2, Religion, Streetwise +4

    FEATS
    Feat User Choice: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)
    Level 1: Backstabber
    Level 2: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)

    POWERS
    Rogue at-will 1: Sly Flourish
    Rogue at-will 1: Piercing Strike
    Rogue encounter 1: Dazing Strike
    Rogue daily 1: Trick Strike
    Rogue utility 2: Fleeting Ghost
    Rogue encounter 3: Low Slash

    ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Thieves' Tools, Leather Armor, Magic Dagger +1, Dagger (8), Grappling Hook, Antivenom, Potion of Cure Light Wounds
    Gold - 49gp
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

    JPants on
    KelorjoshgotroBahamutZEROElvenshae
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Lexan'dar
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Ellandryn lays his fingers along his chin, in thought. "It seems, I think, that the expedition to aid the stag must must come first. As the animal is wounded, it would make easier prey for any predator, and so exploring elsewhere is like to leave us rescuing its bones at best. And I would rather a walk in the woods than climbing through the hills, if I must be honest."
    For "mundane" gear, like ritual supplies, about how much should we assume we have access to?

    The stag certainly seems like the more time sensitive of the tasks. That'll get my vote" Lex offered, to no one in particular. Then to everyone he pointed out "If it was poison that slew Borithor we had best be prepared. Has anyone brought any antivenom or the like? If not we best stock up before we head out.
    If there is no set preference with how to format posts I will probably fiddle about with mine for a bit to figure out what looks right. Let me know if this is an issue.

  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    @Korror Applications are still open for sure, so throw your hat into the ring.

    Things will probably move a little faster on the weekends I imagine with people freer, but for combat we can probably work around it, or my hope is that with smart phones being more common now it should make things easier.

    We're probably going to lose the thread for a little while anyway due to the holiday forum coming into play and people having commitments so I expect it'll take us a little while to get into the groove of things.

    @Joshgotro Is there any additional Gear Bos is bringing with him? What was on the sheet I had was fairly bare bones.

    So first group out is

    Bos
    Yona
    Sinnder
    Ellandryn
    Lexan'dar

    I think OOC in spoilers works pretty well. Depending on how much we have, I might set up a discord server to help with things. We'll see how things go for now.

    ElvenshaejoshgotroBahamutZERO
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Almost Indiana Registered User regular
    @Kelor
    Delver's Kit (40gp)
    Climber's Kit (2gp)
    Antivenom (20gp)
    Potion of Cure Light Wounds (20gp)

    does it?
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Ok, I had a Drow Rogue and a Human Avenger I was deliberating between and JPants made my choice easier. I'll get the the backstory and character output done in a few hours.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    joshgotroJPantsBahamutZEROElvenshae
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Korri, Avenger of Ioun. Keeper of Secrets. Champion of the Closed Book. Initiate of the Hidden Archive.

    7f9d4v5vjfll.jpg

    Character Summary
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Korri, level 3
    Human, Avenger
    Avenger's Censure: Censure of Unity
    Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort

    FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 8.

    STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 8.


    AC: 17 Fort: 13 Reflex: 15 Will: 18
    HP: 37 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 9

    TRAINED SKILLS
    Heal +12, Religion +9, Perception +12, Stealth +7, Acrobatics +7

    UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +3, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +1, History +3, Insight +6, Intimidate, Nature +6, Streetwise, Thievery +1, Athletics +1

    FEATS
    Human: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
    Level 1: Power of Skill
    Level 2: Improved Armor of Faith
    Feat User Choice: Heavy Blade Expertise

    POWERS
    Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
    Avenger at-will 1: Radiant Vengeance
    Avenger encounter 1: Rictus Grin
    Avenger daily 1: Aspect of Might
    Avenger utility 2: Avenger's Resolve
    Avenger encounter 3: Bound by Fate

    ITEMS
    Magic Fullblade +1, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Holy Symbol, Adventurer's Kit
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

    Backstory
    Not all secrets are ready to be known. There are secrets that would harm the world or drive sanity from the minds of the unprepared. Weapons too dangerous to be allowed to exist yet too valuable to be destroyed. Truths that mortals are simply not ready for. Ioun's avengers exist to protect such knowledge and keep it from those who would be harmed by it or those who would use it to harm the innocent. Coming forth from their fortress-library, Ioun's chosen seek to find the lost knowledge of this world and carefully guard it in their archives until such time as they see fit to release it. Korri is one of these avengers and now seeks to test his prowess and faith against the challenges of the wild for the glory of Ioun.

    Playstyle notes
    Having a warlord in the team made me want to take a character with a good MBA. A fullblade and the power of skill feat letting me use Overwhelming strike for MBAs gives me a strong option for that. Given that we seem to have a good amount of melee characters, I went with the Censure of Unity which gives bonus damage if my oath target has allies adjacent to it. My preferred playstayle is going to be to delay until I go after the defenders and then focus on whatever I can do the most damage. With 2 attack rolls, I should be able to do consistant if not amazing damage until the target dies and I swap to the next one.

    Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    JPantsjoshgotroElvenshaeBahamutZERO
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    @Kelor
    If I wanted to add an antivenom and a potion to my guy would it be ok to just edit my stat post above or you prefer to work it in to the RP? I still have enough left over coin to cover it. I didn't see them originally in the builder.

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Lexan'dar:
    If it was poison that slew Borithor we had best be prepared. Has anyone brought any antivenom or the like? If not we best stock up before we head out.

    Ellandryn half-raises his hand. "I always carry a small amount with me and, given time and the proper reagents, can make more. But I understood from our benefactors that Borithor was returning from the hills, to our southwest, rather than the forest more directly to the west. So while we should always be prepared for venomous creatures, nothing beyond the usual precautions should be necessary at this time. Unless I misheard?"

    Elvenshae on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    @JPants
    You're just finalising gear, so you can go ahead with any further items you wish to stock up on.

    I'd like to get everyone to upload their character sheets (printed as pdfs if possible, otherwise just the character builder file) so that you can coordinate and I can easily check things like passive perception, etc. It show allow you to add, let me know if it does not.

    On the prior party: They had no set goals and were merely exploring outside of the valley, a kind of scouting trip. Bortithor mentioned three things before he died.
    A passage between a ring of mountains, choked with enormous thorns they found impenetrable.
    Second, of a green tower rising into the sky .
    Third that they found tracks and indications of some sort of large beast, but did not encounter it.


    Requests of the gods:
    Melora has asked that you find a find a great stag in the forest that has been wounded and aid it.
    With Ioun's help Moradin has scryed a set of tools of interest to him deep in the hills to the southwest beyond the forest. He warned of a group of savages that now possess them.



    Once you have finalised preparations you begin to make your way to the forest. Adina and Elegor bade you farewell and good luck at the gate exiting the high city walls and Golarios leads you out into the valley proper. Crowds of excited wellwishers have gathered to see you goodbye. A small pack of children led by a particularly dirty and foul mouthed dwarven child chase each other around the feet of the crowd periodically while swinging at each other with makeshift wooden weapons to defeat imaginary foes.

    Well maintained and bountiful farmland spreads out around you, as far as the eye can see. You can make out farmers in the fields, gathered around the shade of trees taking their morning break.

    A swift two hour march along the road that runs alongside the river carries you the miles to the end of the valley and the steep mountains begin to grow.

    Suddenly you see it! Deep green tree growth begins to in a gap between the stone peaks, and through the tension you cannot help but feel a jolt of excitement at the thought of finally stepping into this new world. Above the canopy an enormous redwood claws it's way up into the sky.

    As you approach the tree line, you start to see signs of wildlife. Birdsong echoes through the sun dappled ground and bushes. A fox, startled by your approach darts across the path and into the fields.

    Golarios pads to a halt a few yards from the edge and gestured with his maned head. "I cannot guide you further, the boundary of my Lady's power ends here. I wish for your success Thelians, and will remain here for the next few days in case you need aid. Be swift, be smart, hunt well and my Lady's blessing upon you."

    You shoulder your way through a gap between some hedges in the undergrowth and the brush becomes clear enough you are no longer hindered. Sunlight filters down through limbs of the trees above you, and the first thing that strikes you is how close to your home of Theleos the forest is. Ceders, pine and fir trees leap up around you and the calls of sparrows and jays echo through them.

    kl4q6cz2ksg9.png

    Shortly after you discover a game trail that wends it's way through the boles, then splits in half a hundred feet further ahead, one way leading roughly to the north, the other south-west. To the southwest the trees thin slightly and through them you can make out a series of shallow, rolling hills running alongside the trail's left. The northern trail leads deeper off into the forest, you do not note anything of distinction.


    Bos, Yona, Ellandryn, Lexan'dar:
    Just ahead of where the path splits, you spy some rocks grouped together. The way they are arranged is a trail marking that Thelian adventurers have agreed upon that indicates the previous group made their way north.

    Kelor on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    A small pack of children led by a particularly dirty and foul mouthed dwarven child chase each other around the feet of the crowd periodically while swinging at each other with makeshift wooden weapons to defeat imaginary foes.

    As Ellandryn passes by, he makes several mystical gestures, and cartoonish images of minor extraplanar beings - elementals, demons, devils - appear, make a soundless challenge to the minor warriors, and explode into a puff of silver-blue smoke when struck by a wooden blade. Every now and then, one of the created images looks ever-so-slightly like a member of the party. Ellandryn smirks at those, and looks as innocent as possible if anyone challenges him on them. Before leaving the riotous children behind, Ellandryn gathers them in and turns all of their weapons golden, with a gentle reminder that the "enchantment" will only last for a short while.
    You shoulder your way through a gap between some hedges in the undergrowth and the brush becomes clear enough you are no longer hindered. Sunlight filters down through limbs of the trees above you, and the first thing that strikes you is how close to your home of Theleos the forest is. Ceders, pine and fir trees leap up around you and the calls of sparrows and jays echo through them.

    Ellandryn sighs happily and trails his hand along the bark of several of the trees nearest the path as he walks by. He's otherwise largely content to listen to the sounds of the forest for a few moments before pulling a well-made silver flute from its easily-accessible case on his backpack. Soon, the group's travel is accompanied by birdsong and flute, and the ground seems springier, the groups' steps lighter, as the pathways seem to rise up to meet their feet.
    Uh, shoot, I just noticed that the Traveler's Chant ritual has a Bard prereq; totally missed that. Oops? I can swap that out for something else if you'd prefer, @Kelor, in which case Ellandryn still plays his flute for the trip's opening bit, and the effect on the party is much more metaphorical. :D Otherwise, -10 Alchemical Reagents (90 remaining), +2 to our speed to determine how quickly we move overland for the next 8 hours.

    When the group comes to the split in the path, Ellandryn makes to just continue down the northern branch, only pausing and returning if not everyone follows along.

    Kelorjoshgotro
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    is there an easy way to export into a PDF from the builder? e: looks like no, which character sheet do you use? I think I can't edit the premade ones.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I was going to ask the same question, before I found out how to do it. Assuming you're on a Windows machine, then you can open the character sheet in the Builder, then choose to Print the sheet; on the Print options will be "Windows Print to PDF," which'll get you a PDF of the character sheet.

    BahamutZERO
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Ellandryn half-raises his hand. "I always carry a small amount with me and, given time and the proper reagents, can make more. But I understood from our benefactors that Borithor was returning from the hills, to our southwest, rather than the forest more directly to the west. So while we should always be prepared for venomous creatures, nothing beyond the usual precautions should be necessary at this time. Unless I misheard?"

    "A true point, friend, however who is to say any poison we might find is limited to that area. You know the Honor Scouts motto:Always be prepared!" and before anyone could question his membership in the Honor Scouts Lex had slipped away to the nearest apothecary for some last minute supplies. He returned long before the group was ready to depart.
    Added an antivenom and a potion of cure light wounds to my post above
    Kelor wrote: »
    Golarios pads to a halt a few yards from the edge and gestured with his maned head. "I cannot guide you further, the boundary of my Lady's power ends here. I wish for your success Thelians, and will remain here for the next few days in case you need aid. Be swift, be smart, hunt well and my Lady's blessing upon you."

    As he passes Golarios Lexan'dar gives the sentinel a silent nod of appreciation and farewell before continuing into the forest.
    You shoulder your way through a gap between some hedges in the undergrowth and the brush becomes clear enough you are no longer hindered. Sunlight filters down through limbs of the trees above you, and the first thing that strikes you is how close to your home of Theleos the forest is. Ceders, pine and fir trees leap up around you and the calls of sparrows and jays echo through them.

    Shortly after you discover a game trail that wends it's way through the boles, then splits in half a hundred feet further ahead, one way leading roughly to the north, the other south-west. To the southwest the trees thin slightly and through them you can make out a series of shallow, rolling hills running alongside the trail's left. The northern trail leads deeper off into the forest, you do not note anything of distinction.
    How thick is the forest here? Would I be able to sneak thru the forest just off the path without falling behind? Not so much to scout ahead but to keep hidden from anything that might encounter the party along the path.

    joshgotro
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Also Drive is blocked at work so I will upload my character sheet after work from my personal PC.

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    also: now that we are exploring should we try making our westmarches-style maps? It might be good if we had a seed map of just the city and valley in the middle of the void of unexplored territory to start adding to, to begin with.

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Once you have finalised preparations you begin to make your way to the forest. Adina and Elegor bade you farewell and good luck at the gate exiting the high city walls and Golarios leads you out into the valley proper. Crowds of excited wellwishers have gathered to see you goodbye. A small pack of children led by a particularly dirty and foul mouthed dwarven child chase each other around the feet of the crowd periodically while swinging at each other with makeshift wooden weapons to defeat imaginary foes.

    Well maintained and bountiful farmland spreads out around you, as far as the eye can see. You can make out farmers in the fields, gathered around the shade of trees taking their morning break.

    A swift two hour march along the road that runs alongside the river carries you the miles to the end of the valley and the steep mountains begin to grow.

    Suddenly you see it! Deep green tree growth begins to in a gap between the stone peaks, and through the tension you cannot help but feel a jolt of excitement at the thought of finally stepping into this new world. Above the canopy an enormous redwood claws it's way up into the sky.

    As you approach the tree line, you start to see signs of wildlife. Birdsong echoes through the sun dappled ground and bushes. A fox, startled by your approach darts across the path and into the fields.

    Golarios pads to a halt a few yards from the edge and gestured with his maned head. "I cannot guide you further, the boundary of my Lady's power ends here. I wish for your success Thelians, and will remain here for the next few days in case you need aid. Be swift, be smart, hunt well and my Lady's blessing upon you."

    You shoulder your way through a gap between some hedges in the undergrowth and the brush becomes clear enough you are no longer hindered. Sunlight filters down through limbs of the trees above you, and the first thing that strikes you is how close to your home of Theleos the forest is. Ceders, pine and fir trees leap up around you and the calls of sparrows and jays echo through them.

    Sinnder amuses the children by performing some sword tricks, including fake thrusting and teleporting behind them.

    When the party reaches the road, she begins to sing (poorly) the marching song of the legendary Golden Company.

    Elvenshaejoshgotro
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    That's a lot of noise and singing for a party outside the range of Ioun's sacred protection with an unknown beast on the prowl. :)

    Korri's not there but just throwing that out for when you get mauled by something nasty.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    captainkElvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Map proposal:
    up2e8ap16vla.png

    KorrorjoshgotroBahamutZERO
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Korror wrote: »
    That's a lot of noise and singing for a party outside the range of Ioun's sacred protection with an unknown beast on the prowl. :)

    Korri's not there but just throwing that out for when you get mauled by something nasty.

    Personally, I'm playing music while still largely in earshot of the settlement. In the Deepwoods, heck no. :D

    JPants
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Yona silently plods along with her owl companion on her arm while the party marches their way towards the forest. As they move into the wood Yona finally speaks up with a laconic tone:
    "Hmm. It has been far too long since I have been able to stand in a wild place like this. You can leave the pathfinding to me. My friends and I will attempt to pick up the wounded stag's trail as we head deeper into the wood."
    The owl riding on her arm takes to the air and flies off deeper into the woods, followed by rustling of wings flapping all around as though a flock of birds had just taken flight, though you see none.

    Yona would like to lead the group through the forest on alert for hostile creatures, and look for signs of the wounded stag.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    ElvenshaejoshgotroJPants
Sign In or Register to comment.