As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Tiny Lands, Redout Space Assault, Rain City & Home Behind 2 out today!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Everyone kind of likes the game because it has enough money to be a competent game.

It's still exactly as bland as any given ubisoft game from what the reviews say.

The difference being those games didn't trade on hot button issues like transphobia to fucking market their 7/10 paste.

The rate at which Ubisoft runs on nOt PoLiTiCaL to market their games tells me that if they finally hit the point where they think they can do that and get away with it, they would.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    are you kidding? using hot button issues to market middling experiences is literally ubisoft's entire corporate model

True, I guess the difference is that I've never had anyone try to pretend it's anything but "well maybe if it's the 1 in 10 ubi game that does anything with the material" and I didn't have to suffer through it for multiple years with them sponsoring a cis cosplayer to play their trans 'exploitative marketing' brand and call trans critiques mentally ill.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Everyone kind of likes the game because it has enough money to be a competent game.

It's still exactly as bland as any given ubisoft game from what the reviews say.

The difference being those games didn't trade on hot button issues like transphobia to fucking market their 7/10 paste.

The rate at which Ubisoft runs on nOt PoLiTiCaL to market their games tells me that if they finally hit the point where they think they can do that and get away with it, they would.

They did try to make BLM the main antagonist in their shitty Tom Clancy mobile game

• Options
    Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be the new Witcher 3 where people don't get why it's mediocre.

Except now it's going to come with an added layer of me being too fucking snowflakey because they wrote transphobic garbage to appeal to cis dudes.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I really liked Wasteland 3 and eagerly await the DLC so I have an excuse to play it again.
    Carrion was really cool and found a way to make me feel both a horrible terrifying abomination and terrified animal on the run.
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker had a official turn-based mode that is way better that the real-time with pause of the original release.

I forgot Ooblets came out this year, did that turn out any good?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    calling witcher 3 mediocre is certainly a take

I understand being mad about pretty much everything CDPR is, but come on

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    puyo puyo tetris 2 is out tomorrow and costs twenty fewer dollars than cyberpunk

and i don't care how long that game takes to beat i guarantee it will take even longer to become good at puyo puyo

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Yes the game whose gameplay was a bad rpg version of assassins creed combat before ass creed broke itself doing that feels mediocre to play.

I've literally tried getting into that game like five times and it's always stopped by the fact that for every passable combat and neat bit of dialogue there's a bunch of tripe rpg stuff in the way.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    I really liked Wasteland 3 and eagerly await the DLC so I have an excuse to play it again.
    Carrion was really cool and found a way to make me feel both a horrible terrifying abomination and terrified animal on the run.
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker had a official turn-based mode that is way better that the real-time with pause of the original release.

Ooblets was fun and charming and really pleasantly laid-back (none of the time pressures of Stardew, for instance)

The EA build was certainly early, though. I ran through most of what was there in like eight hours. But they were eight hours well-spent.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I like the Witcher. It is fun to Witch.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    puyo puyo tetris 2 is out tomorrow and costs twenty fewer dollars than cyberpunk

and i don't care how long that game takes to beat i guarantee it will take even longer to become good at puyo puyo

Mandatory Puyo Puyo shitposting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4sE86ctU5Y&ab_channel=Etce

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    If you think it's mediocre, that's fine. Insinuating that anyone who doesn't agree with you just doesn't understand why it's bad it something else.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    SLyM wrote: »
    If you think it's mediocre, that's fine. Insinuating that anyone who doesn't agree with you just doesn't understand why it's bad it something else.

So you would say I don't understand why it's good?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020

I think if someone plays witcher 3 and doesn't like it, or likes it but not enough to finish it, that's a perfectly reasonable experience to have. it's got rough spots, not everything is successful, the combat is pretty one-note and the writing is pretty uneven, especially in the main quest.

I don't know how you can reasonably argue that it is "mediocre", a term which necessarily attempts to position it in the middle of its contemporaries. it's way, way more successful at what it's trying to do than any of the stuff one might compare it to.

Shorty on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Horizon Zero Dawn got a pc release this year so i'm saying Horizon Zero Dawn again.

HZD might have held my attention better if I had not just played RDR2, (which dropped in December of last year and is therefore technically ineligible) because RDR2 did, um, literally everything much much better.

• Options
    that can't be true, RDR2 didn't have any robot dinosaurs that I can recall

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    that can't be true, RDR2 didn't have any robot dinosaurs that I can recall

that's what mods are for

• Options
    realistic robot tyrannosaurus vulva texture pack

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    RDR2 had the thing that Gamespot Cyberpunk review mentioned for me - there was a distinct disconnect between my side-quest Arthur and my main-quest Arthur, especially by the end

in HZD, i felt like i was playing the same Aloy throughout

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

Ooblets was fun and charming and really pleasantly laid-back (none of the time pressures of Stardew, for instance)

The EA build was certainly early, though. I ran through most of what was there in like eight hours. But they were eight hours well-spent.

yeah I like ooblets a lot but it's pretty content light in early access

they are adding some more stuff in the winter update

• Options

No, I would say things can't be good or bad. People can enjoy or dislike aspects of something, but quality isn't an unassailable aspect of it.

You can say it's bad, I can say it's good, we're both wrong because it simply is.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »
    RDR2 had the thing that Gamespot Cyberpunk review mentioned for me - there was a distinct disconnect between my side-quest Arthur and my main-quest Arthur, especially by the end

in HZD, i felt like i was playing the same Aloy throughout

It was somewhat justified in RDR2, in that being near Dutch and his bullshit canonically made Arthur a worse person.

• Options
    anyway, Alpha Protocol is actually the GoTY again, I'm sorry to say

• Options
    no for real though RDR 2 did have way higher production values across the board than HZD but I thought the ranged combat in HZD was way more dynamic and exciting and the writing in the main plot was roughly in the same tier

• Options

No, I would say things can't be good or bad. People can enjoy or dislike aspects of something, but quality isn't an unassailable aspect of it.

You can say it's bad, I can say it's good, we're both wrong because it simply is.

So weirdly dragging down me expressing an opinion as fact is just weird then?

Because this happens literally every time I talk about 'big' games that are very boring.

And I figured I'd check it's not just a weird autistic misunderstanding where people who *like* the game can call it objectively rad as fuck and people who dislike the game get critiqued for not couching it in disclaimers.

Because honestly, even barring communications issues, that'd be fucking weird as a standard.

• Options
    I'm fine with you saying "hey this game sucks"

saying "hey this game sucks and if you think it's good you just don't understand" raises my hackles a bit.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    "actually this popular game is bad and nobody can see it but me" is incredibly bland twitter-level clout chasing

not liking a thing is fine, taking issue with the games content or raising moral objections to offensive shit in it is good, but fart sniffing is just gonna put people on edge

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I do not personally believe that post was created in good faith

• Options
    I'm fine with you saying "hey this game sucks"

saying "hey this game sucks and if you think it's good you just don't understand" raises my hackles a bit.

Yes, you don't understand.

I literally do not care if this 'raises your hackles'. If you wanna take me talking about how frustrated a dumb rpg made me as objective fact to get pissy over then get mad.

If this seems unfair then consider how piss annoying that mediocre rpg is when infinite people hold it up as the best in the genre or whatever forever, all the time and present it in the same objective tone.

You'll live.

• Options
    You're being a dipshit, please stop.

• Options
    this seems like a needlessly bellicose way to interact with people

• Options
    Do you want me to politely say how witcher 3 wasn't very good and tempered my expectations for this game being bad?

• Options
    No, I want you to stop.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I think that compared to either other visual storytelling mediums or other text based mediums, you could safely call the witcher 3 mediocre in terms of its writing.

Compared to just flat out, other video games, especially big budget video games, the writing and editing are like, head and shoulders above the competition.

Writing in video games is bad.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    "actually this popular game is bad and nobody can see it but me" is incredibly bland twitter-level clout chasing

not liking a thing is fine, taking issue with the games content or raising moral objections to offensive shit in it is good, but fart sniffing is just gonna put people on edge

No where did I say I was unique in not liking the ass creed knock off with the hot grey haired dude.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

Some real 'guy leaning over you at a party demanding you debate him' energy here.

sig.gif
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    I think that compared to either other visual storytelling mediums or other text based mediums, you could safely call the witcher 3 mediocre in terms of its writing.

Compared to just flat out, other video games, especially big budget video games, the writing and editing are like, head and shoulders above the competition.

Writing in video games is bad.

yyyyyuuuuuuuuuppppppppppp

• Options
    geth, kick @Albino Bunny from the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. banned from this thread.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I think if someone plays witcher 3 and doesn't like it, or likes it but not enough to finish it, that's a perfectly reasonable experience to have. it's got rough spots, not everything is successful, the combat is pretty one-note and the writing is pretty uneven, especially in the main quest.

I don't know how you can reasonably argue that it is "mediocre", a term which necessarily attempts to position it in the middle of its contemporaries. it's way, way more successful at what it's trying to do than any of the stuff one might compare it to.

I would actually say TW3's combat is mediocre to bad because it mostly came across as bland open world slashslashdodge swordplay but with enemies arbitrarily breaking out of your default combo at different # of hits. I'm not sure I can think of a major open world RPG with combat I liked less, since games with more boring versions of the combat were less frustrating and games with more complex versions of the combat were engaging.

I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.