As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Tiny Lands, Redout Space Assault, Rain City & Home Behind 2 out today!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Also whenever someone abbreviates it as DRG I think they're talking about Dragoon

I just think Diagnosis-Related Group

Hah, look at this guy who hasn't had his brain poisoned by nearly two decades of Final Fantasy MMOs

I definitely did play FFXIV for a few years, but my workbrain overrides it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/12/07/cyberpunk-2077-epileptic-psa
    During my time with Cyberpunk 2077, I suffered one major seizure and felt several moments where I was close to another one. I kept going because I made that decision to, and I feel like that decision helped me sort of slap together a small little guide for players wanting to take part in this game for fear of missing out.

Cyberpunk 2077 is about hedonistic excess. Much like the tabletop game that inspired the open-world RPG, everything is brighter, louder, and more in your face. Pair that with the reliance on technological interfacing, and some triggers were expected. With Cyberpunk 2077, however, there are a lot that you need to be aware of. For those excited to experience CD Projekt RED's latest adventure, there is still a way to do so - though there is a risk - but you'll need to know a few things going in.
    Braindances are something that CDPR has been talking about as a feature for awhile now, and it's an intricate part of the story from start to finish. BD's allow players to interface with memories, often of the deceased, but plugging into a mainframe and diving in. Pretty much everything about this is a trigger and this is something that caused me to have a grand mal seizure when playing to help with our review. This is also a trigger on many levels, starting with the device itself.

When "suiting up" for a BD, especially with Judy, V will be given a headset that is meant to onset the instance. The headset fits over both eyes and features a rapid onslaught of white and red blinking LEDs, much like the actual device neurologists use in real life to trigger a seizure when they need to trigger one for diagnosis purposes. If not modeled off of the IRL design, it's a very spot-on coincidence, and because of that this is one aspect that I would personally advise you to avoid altogether. When you notice the headset come into play, look away completely or close your eyes. This is a pattern of lights designed to trigger an epileptic episode and it very much did that in my own personal playthrough.

Never seen anything like this in a major games journalism outlet, of course I can't think of a game that needed one

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    What an absolute fucking nightmare

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    what the actual fuck

• Options

I am laughing right now

not because that is funny, because it is very definitely not

I just don't understand what emotional response I'm supposed to feel at including a goddamn seizure device in a game without

a warning or options to not have a seizure device

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Cyberpunk 2077 seems to be one gigantic exercise in not understanding the difference between "can" and "should"

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I played a lot of BATTLETECH this year. Can that be my game of the year? I'm sure I played some other games too, but mostly it was a comfort food sort of year.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Cyberpunk 2077 seems to be one gigantic exercise in not understanding the difference between "can" and "should"

That's very cyberpunk of it.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    During my time with Cyberpunk 2077, I suffered one major seizure and felt several moments where I was close to another one. I kept going because I made that decision to, and I feel like that decision helped me sort of slap together a small little guide for players wanting to take part in this game for fear of missing out.

Cyberpunk 2077 is about hedonistic excess. Much like the tabletop game that inspired the open-world RPG, everything is brighter, louder, and more in your face. Pair that with the reliance on technological interfacing, and some triggers were expected. With Cyberpunk 2077, however, there are a lot that you need to be aware of. For those excited to experience CD Projekt RED's latest adventure, there is still a way to do so - though there is a risk - but you'll need to know a few things going in.
    Braindances are something that CDPR has been talking about as a feature for awhile now, and it's an intricate part of the story from start to finish. BD's allow players to interface with memories, often of the deceased, but plugging into a mainframe and diving in. Pretty much everything about this is a trigger and this is something that caused me to have a grand mal seizure when playing to help with our review. This is also a trigger on many levels, starting with the device itself.

When "suiting up" for a BD, especially with Judy, V will be given a headset that is meant to onset the instance. The headset fits over both eyes and features a rapid onslaught of white and red blinking LEDs, much like the actual device neurologists use in real life to trigger a seizure when they need to trigger one for diagnosis purposes. If not modeled off of the IRL design, it's a very spot-on coincidence, and because of that this is one aspect that I would personally advise you to avoid altogether. When you notice the headset come into play, look away completely or close your eyes. This is a pattern of lights designed to trigger an epileptic episode and it very much did that in my own personal playthrough.

Never seen anything like this in a major games journalism outlet, of course I can't think of a game that needed one

uuuhhhh what the fuck?

do they not have lawyers on staff?

this is a mega legal smackdown waiting to happen

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I can get having a game be more prone to triggering epileptic seizures than others. You can't realistically create Cyberpunk 2077, a neon futuristic shooter, with fewer epilepsy triggers than Red Dead Redemption. I can even get not having great options for toning that down, because it's one of those things where triggers are often different and the kind of events that trigger things probably require more constant ad-hoc adjustment than adjustments for colorblindness/eye difficulties/being hard of hearing/mechanical disabilities.

But having a seizure-triggering headset? I feel like that's one of those things where you would have to know it's an issue, if nothing else because you probably caused a couple of QA guys to get an epilepsy diagnosis.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I guess one of the things that gets skipped in constant crunch is running your software through photo-sensitive analysis software?

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »

uuuhhhh what the fuck?

do they not have lawyers on staff?

this is a mega legal smackdown waiting to happen

Despite how obvious it should be that the seizure headset is a bad idea, I'm not sure this is the case. Games have had a blanket warning about seizures in them for a long time and from quick googling, I can't find any successful lawsuits or even anything that implies a settlement was particularly successful. It's very, very difficult to successfully sue people for "this multimedia experience caused seizures", and I doubt the literal seizure headset would make it much easier.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    LokarnLokarn Registered User regular
    I'm cynically picturing an executive saying something like "but we stuck the obligatory epilepsy warning on the splash screen full of legal jargon, what more could we POSSIBLY do!?"

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    hm, i can't find what these seizure inducing diagnostic headsets look like, i'm curious to see what they're like

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    hm, i can't find what these seizure inducing diagnostic headsets look like, i'm curious to see what they're like

I bet your Google search history looks really fun without context right now

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    also it's very much buoyed by ashley burch, who tries very hard, and lance reddick, who is a consummate professional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaWa4ScfQXc

the fuck did I just watch

because that was incredible

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    also it's very much buoyed by ashley burch, who tries very hard, and lance reddick, who is a consummate professional

are you not familiar with The Eric Andre show?

it's an interview show where Eric normally abuses the shit out of his guests without them understanding, only Lance was in on the bit and one-upped him

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I've never seen The Eric Andre show before

It...appears to have a lot of Space Ghost Coast To Coast energy

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

it's an interview show where Eric normally abuses the shit out of his guests without them understanding, only Lance was in on the bit and one-upped him

I'm not, no. I'm assuming it's a very American thing and I just don't live in america so I never see anything about it

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited December 2020
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Oh ho ho ho ho.

Y'all are in for a TREAT.

There's an episode where they keep starting another episode within that episode and it is DELIGHTFUL.

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    I've never seen The Eric Andre show before

It...appears to have a lot of Space Ghost Coast To Coast energy
    kinda sorta but way more aggressive

they use some... unfortunate language early on and kinda took criticism of it well and have tried to be less othering while still abusing the shit out of guests

unfortunately, hannibal is a class traitor

I'm not, no. I'm assuming it's a very American thing and I just don't live in america so I never see anything about it

yeah it's an Adult Swim thing

the fan canon is that eric is in purgatory or hell and is being tested/punished

• Options
  • Options
    BIRD UP

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    I never really understood nor appreciated BIRD UP until I realized that yeah, it is the worst show on television.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umHEax4N29o

the "why did you retweet that" bit is fucking incredible

• Options
    Also, the Lauren Conrad bit shows a lot of the tricks they do to get such insane interviews. They go super long, film when they say they're off air, keep the studio hot as shit, and then cobble together two minutes of footage from like two hours of brutal interviewing, usually from right at the beginning when they aren't aware what's happening and right at the end when they break.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the old space ghost coast to coast gambit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Wait, is the thing that's been missing from making a working 3D Sonic formula just a grappling hook?

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I have never really seen much Eric Andre so if that could be all we do for like the next two pages I would really appreciate it

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The only bad part of the Eric Andre show is remembering that Hannibal Buress is a shitty landlord

But at least he decided not to return to the show with the most recent season

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    I have never really seen much Eric Andre so if that could be all we do for like the next two pages I would really appreciate it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaq-t59D9hA

Behind the meme

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    From just a few weeks ago, even if you expect the Eric Andre interview, you aren't prepared:

https://youtu.be/qRR75kzW148

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I really love watching people discover Eric Andre for the first time :D

• Options
    "Straight farm to nug" is something I say, uh, too often in real life.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

Guardians,

You need to get Eric Andre a new desk.

I've given your ghost coordinates of the Ingvar Kamprad Elmtaryd Agunnaryd complex in the European Dead Zone.

Good Luck

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
This discussion has been closed.