As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

๐Ÿ–ฅ๏ธ๐ŸŽฎ - Tiny Lands, Redout Space Assault, Rain City & Home Behind 2 out today!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    One of the lesser effects of random encounters in games that I think about a lot is the story space that they occupy.

Like, bog standard fantasy RPG thing, you're riding your horse down a road, and all of a sudden some bandits appear from the underbrush and attack you to try and take your expensive stuff. In a game with random encounters, this is just something that happens whenever you go through the wilderness, and you defeat the enemies and keep heading on. You honestly barely even notice that it happens, and will forget about it when you're thinking about the overall arc of the game.

But if it's not a game with random encounters, you could still have that encounter, but the player will treat it as if it actually happened. Bandits attacking you means that something is wrong here, that they might have a camp nearby, the sheriff is on the take, that sort of thing. There are a number of stories that can be told through the setup of a bandit attack or a wild animal acting unusually aggressive or any other number of those scenarios. And sometimes games still pepper those story beats in, but I feel like they would be more impactful if they weren't functionally identical to all of the other random encounters.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What if you could hunt wandering monsters populations to extinction?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    One of the lesser effects of random encounters in games that I think about a lot is the story space that they occupy.

Like, bog standard fantasy RPG thing, you're riding your horse down a road, and all of a sudden some bandits appear from the underbrush and attack you to try and take your expensive stuff. In a game with random encounters, this is just something that happens whenever you go through the wilderness, and you defeat the enemies and keep heading on. You honestly barely even notice that it happens, and will forget about it when you're thinking about the overall arc of the game.

But if it's not a game with random encounters, you could still have that encounter, but the player will treat it as if it actually happened. Bandits attacking you means that something is wrong here, that they might have a camp nearby, the sheriff is on the take, that sort of thing. There are a number of stories that can be told through the setup of a bandit attack or a wild animal acting unusually aggressive or any other number of those scenarios. And sometimes games still pepper those story beats in, but I feel like they would be more impactful if they weren't functionally identical to all of the other random encounters.

Red Dead 2 does a good job with this. Most of the random encounters have an attached story beat, usually with a nearby connected location or just a unique bit of dialogue/environment attached. The main random enemies are in camps, and they serve to create an element of danger over whether approaching a camp will lead to meeting a character or getting attacked.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: ยป

So, kind of like Ultima Online? https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/12/an-afternoon-with-lord-british-creating-ultima-onlines-unknown-virtual-ecology/

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The worst are RPGs where you're chronically underleveled if you don't want to commit mass genocide across the continent.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Disco Elysium came out last year but it's my game of the year.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The worst are RPGs where you're chronically underleveled if you don't want to commit mass genocide across the continent.

In the Infinity Engine games, I'd always sneak through a level to get the sneaking XP then double back and kill everything to get the killing XP.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

In the Infinity Engine games, I'd always sneak through a level to get the sneaking XP then double back and kill everything to get the killing XP.

The quintessence of Video Games

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Disco Elysium came out last year but it's my game of the year.

my game of the year would be something I actually played this year so mine is definitely either disco elysium or bloodborne

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: ยป

There's a game called Lords of Xulima where each area had a fixed amount of random encounters and you got bonus exp if you cleared them all out.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    There's a game called Undertale where each area had a fixed amount of random encounters and you got bonus exp if you cleared them all out.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    There's a game called Undertale where each area had a fixed amount of random encounters and you got bonus exp if you cleared them all out.

Never heard of it.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    What was fun in the Witcher 3 was going "Okay this road goes there but I could just cut through this forest and save a bunch of- Oh fuck what is that thing run away"

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    witcher 3 is similar to stalker in that the scariest and most dangerous encounter is a pack of dogs/wolves

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    My GOTY in the sense of something that actually came out in 2020... it's either Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 or, if that's cheating, Hardspace Shipbreakers? With Hades and X-Com Chimera Squad in the mix as well.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    witcher 3 is similar to stalker in that the scariest and most dangerous encounter is a pack of dogs/wolves

poltergeists are terrifying

I can at least see the pack of wolves as I die

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: ยป
    random encounters should have died an ignoble death after chrono trigger showed that they were unnecessary

It might partially be that my memories are muddled by the GBA remake bonus content, but didn't Chrono Trigger have not-random but functionally unavoidable trash-mob encounters set up so it still kind of played like a random encounter game?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    My GOTY in the sense of something that actually came out in 2020... it's either Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 or, if that's cheating, Hardspace Shipbreakers? With Hades and X-Com Chimera Squad in the mix as well.

I'd argue Hades counts as last year when it was mostly finished towards its end of early access.

Also I'd count XCOM Chimera squad as next year because it should be in early access with how buggy it is.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Picked up Creeper World 4, played through the first few worlds. Nothing new in terms of equipment or mechanics yet, it's still the same old formula, but the 3D really brings a lot to the table. It's a lot easier to parse maps, and it just looks neat. I'm looking forward to when gravity starts getting weird with alien artifacts and stuff.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: ยป
    What was fun in the Witcher 3 was going "Okay this road goes there but I could just cut through this forest and save a bunch of- Oh fuck what is that thing run away"

Legit the most terrifying thing for me in that game was the first time I ran into a Leshen while I was going through some random forest.

Very much a "Well that thing looks creepy, what the hell is it? OH GOD OH GOD RUN AWAY" followed by me getting murdered harder than I ever had before.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I'd argue Hades counts as last year when it was mostly finished towards its end of early access.

Also I'd count XCOM Chimera squad as next year because it should be in early access with how buggy it is.

If remakes aren't disqualified from current year awards I'd say Hades is just fine for saying it officially released in 2020

• Options

I've played an XCOM before, don't expect that to improve next year either unless modders get ambitious

• Options
    milski wrote: ยป
    random encounters should have died an ignoble death after chrono trigger showed that they were unnecessary

It might partially be that my memories are muddled by the GBA remake bonus content, but didn't Chrono Trigger have not-random but functionally unavoidable trash-mob encounters set up so it still kind of played like a random encounter game?

I wouldn't say it plays like a game with random encounters at all

• Options
    A lot of the encounters are unavoidable, but seeing where they will occur much of the time creates a better tempo

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: ยป
    Here's a big, partially complete list of games that came out this year:

(lost my records for pre-april stuff, sorry!)

What's been your favorite so far?

Deep Rock Galactic has been my go to favorite this year.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I want there to be like, a toggle for that sort of thing

Normally I am of the opinion that if there isn't a plot reason for me to be in a fight then there shouldn't be a fight there, and that all fights should be neat set pieces with intentional space

But I also respect that a lot of folks are used to and maybe even want combat every ten feet, in which case yeah, sure, have it available if people want to just fight random enemies every time they walk down the road

And having it as a toggle that you could like, turn on and off while you're playing would be fantastic - maybe you leave random encounters on early in the game, to get used to things, and then switch them off when you're just cleaning up, or maybe you do the reverse, making the world more dangerous as you get to a higher level, or maybe you keep them switched off most of the time but every once in a while just want to mash some buttons and can flick that switch

Exhibit A why Bravely Default owns:

sruajbf6z2bl.jpg

Like, you can argue that's kind of a crutch (IIRC the original Japanese version didn't even have the option), but eff that, there are times I wanna get through the dungeon and kill this boss and sometimes I just wanna grind for three hours half asleep in bed.

• Options

DRG was very good, I forgot it technically came out this year

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

DRG was very good, I forgot it technically came out this year

Rock and stone

• Options
    FOREVER

• Options
    I don't know who these people are that aren't inherently distrustful of reviews that are too good.

• Options
    Also whenever someone abbreviates it as DRG I think they're talking about Dragoon

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Also whenever someone abbreviates it as DRG I think they're talking about Dragoon

I just think Diagnosis-Related Group

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Killing a loot bug in Deep Rock Galactic is one of the most traumatic things I experienced in video games this year

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options

I just think Diagnosis-Related Group

Hah, look at this guy who hasn't had his brain poisoned by nearly two decades of Final Fantasy MMOs

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Killing a loot bug in Deep Rock Galactic is one of the most traumatic things I experienced in video games this year

You pet them first to hear their happy squeaks.

Then drive a power pick axe through their head to get to the shinies.

• Options
    if they wanted to not be popped they shouldn't have eaten all that gold

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The only bugs who don't deserve to die are Steeves. If they die by dwarf mits it's because a FNG doesn't understand why there's a bug that looks different and takes longer to die than other bugs when he's shooting it.

Lousy greenbeards.

This discussion has been closed.