As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Tiny Lands, Redout Space Assault, Rain City & Home Behind 2 out today!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    i have little to no interest in live-action independent film

the few movies I do watch are largely known quantities, with big budgets and big actors in them

a large part of that is marketing, since i'm often completely unaware of independent films that were released in any given year

but I think an even bigger part of that is that if I am going to watch a movie, I want to know what I'm going to get. my escapism is generally to familiar territory, I don't really want something that's strange and unknown, or possibly unsatisfying

i wonder how much of the same is true in gaming

Brolo on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Brolo wrote: »

Would you believe me if I told you that I'm actually quite busy at work today?

57xhwa9vrb68.jpeg

I tried to use average sized nonfiction books from the first half of the twentieth century, in order to recreate some of the feel, although two of them are more modern and just fit the size that the others were. The notebook is a 7"x9.5", and the sheets of paper are 8.5"x11". The mug is a standard 12 oz mug size - it's smaller than the mugs I typically use from day to day, but I like a more than healthy serving of coffee.

I would say that the one in the video seems a bit small, but not terribly so. And I opted not to include one of the largest of my mythology books, which honestly would have made the coffee cup in the video look a bit big.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The mug in the game looks like one of them small ass mugs you get in diners with free refills or possibly hospitals

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Straightzi is the hero we need.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    The mug in the game looks like one of them small ass mugs you get in diners with free refills or possibly hospitals

Yeah, it's about that size. I use it for evening tea sometimes, or as an ice cream mug. Maybe a hot cocoa.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    :heartbeat: @Straightzi you maniac

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    also I haven't played dead cells in a long while since I sold my switch to claw.

It was so fun though I kinda want to play more. I never made it past one completed run though so I dunno if I'd get much out of the dlc. hard game.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Everyone should play the pinball metroidvania

• Options

Most Detailed Farming System Ever – Choose from a variety of crops with different characteristics and configure crop rotations to maintain soil fertility, avoid heat and frost damage, and prevent the accumulation of diseases. Cultivate your fields to improve them over time and provide the ideal growing conditions for your crops.

All Them Old-Timey Diseases! – Ensure your villagers have clean water to stop outbreaks of dysentery and cholera. Collect berries and plant greens to prevent scurvy. Make sure villagers are properly shoed and clothed to reduce chances of contracting tetanus and rabies. Perhaps most importantly, manage rodent populations by collecting waste, securely storing food and employing rat catchers to ward off the feared bubonic plague. Over a dozen exciting ailments and diseases to contract!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1044720/Farthest_Frontier/

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    What If Banished Was Made By More Than Just The One Guy: The Video Game

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Has anyone played Afterparty? Looks interesting.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Has anyone played Afterparty? Looks interesting.

I hated it, personally, but I know plenty of other people enjoyed it.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    what caused the hate?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I remember Afterparty being... decent, but not amazing. I am not personally a huge fan of the house style of “walk around slowly and characters have conversations”, so if you liked Oxenfree you’d probably like Afterparty more than me. The characters are intentionally a little grating/rough around the edges and the whole thing is a little floaty “do the thing because it’s the next obstacle” style adventure gaming with a kinda pointless drinking system.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Part of it is story stuff, but overall it honestly didn't feel like much of a game to me. Like, the trailers show off a bunch of fun systems - different cocktails giving you different conversation options, little minigames to represent drinking games, that sort of thing, but in practice I felt like I barely encountered those and that my overall skill or cleverness with them was absolutely negligible.

Mostly it was a game of walking around and watching characters have a conversation that I really didn't feel very invested in. Which is a very mileage may vary sort of thing - for me it felt like I didn't have much agency, and the story didn't resonate from the get-go, so I bounced off it pretty hard.

Edit: And for the record, I really dug Oxenfree, the previous and fairly similar game from the same developers.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Part of it is story stuff, but overall it honestly didn't feel like much of a game to me. Like, the trailers show off a bunch of fun systems - different cocktails giving you different conversation options, little minigames to represent drinking games, that sort of thing, but in practice I felt like I barely encountered those and that my overall skill or cleverness with them was absolutely negligible.

Mostly it was a game of walking around and watching characters have a conversation that I really didn't feel very invested in. Which is a very mileage may vary sort of thing - for me it felt like I didn't have much agency, and the story didn't resonate from the get-go, so I bounced off it pretty hard.

Edit: And for the record, I really dug Oxenfree, the previous and fairly similar game from the same developers.

I found Afterparty decent and couldn’t get an hour into Oxenfree without being so bored I dropped it, so it really is subjective

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I haven't played Afterparty but I think it's weird and maybe a little telling that a lot of the people I had categorized in my mind as Adventure Game/Visual Novel Folks were extremely hyped for it and then after it came out said basically nothing about it

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The fact that I played through half of Afterparty and then got distracted and never went back and finished it, is probably a bad sign for Afterparty. Just wasn't a strong enough story, I actually think if the conversations had been more directly one after the other it might have worked better. Too much meaningless walking around. There's style in it I liked, I've just never felt the need to go back to it and finish it.

Edit: Which is in addition to being very interested in it before release. I waited WAY too long at Day of the Devs to check out the demo, but gave up eventually. Why would you make your demo 30 minutes long in a one at a time line?
    I'll still listen to Schoolyard Strangler though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q_282DthpA

akajaybay on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I have 10 strawberries in Celeste.

I AM THE BEST AT THIS GAME

Also I've started Into the Breach and holy shit am I terrible at this game.

Deffo playing this on easy

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Most Detailed Farming System Ever – Choose from a variety of crops with different characteristics and configure crop rotations to maintain soil fertility, avoid heat and frost damage, and prevent the accumulation of diseases. Cultivate your fields to improve them over time and provide the ideal growing conditions for your crops.

All Them Old-Timey Diseases! – Ensure your villagers have clean water to stop outbreaks of dysentery and cholera. Collect berries and plant greens to prevent scurvy. Make sure villagers are properly shoed and clothed to reduce chances of contracting tetanus and rabies. Perhaps most importantly, manage rodent populations by collecting waste, securely storing food and employing rat catchers to ward off the feared bubonic plague. Over a dozen exciting ailments and diseases to contract!

This is interesting. But I'm curious how shoes prevent rabies.

• Options

stops your feet from getting bit by rabies-infected vermin, maybe?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcAL-loTtxM

Not the shoes, the laces. It's a distraction tactic.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Ah, that makes sense.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    What If Banished Was Made By More Than Just The One Guy: The Video Game

in retrospect this feels dismissive

I fucking love Banished and I will play the shit out of this new Banished-like as well.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    They updated Jedi Fallen Order on new consoles to run at 60 FPS with higher resolution. It is very smooth now.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I started enjoying Fallen Order a lot more when I learned you can mod Cal into a girl on PC. edit: and then proceeded to do so.

sycjlgvzxs1o.png

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The most impressive thing to me about Fallen Order is that for a game where basically every outfit is a poncho that almost none of them are decent looking ponchos.

Most of them look like weird rain gear Cal has on just in case the weather turns south.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    all of the ponchos look terrible except the red one that's cut shorter than the rest

that one looks okay

the rest of them completely ruin his silhouette, the red one kinda also does but less so and at least it looks like something the man with no name would wear

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The camo one is good because it looks like the one Luke wears on Endor.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    all of the ponchos look terrible except the red one that's cut shorter than the rest

that one looks okay

the rest of them completely ruin his silhouette, the red one kinda also does but less so and at least it looks like something the man with no name would wear

I like that one not because he looks like the man with no name, but more like Marty McFly dressing up as the man with no name.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Cal is a big old dingus so it all fits

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I started enjoying Fallen Order a lot more when I learned you can mod Cal into a girl on PC. edit: and then proceeded to do so.

sycjlgvzxs1o.png

Oh this rules

Ok now let’s mod a personality onto them

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

sycjlgvzxs1o.png

Oh this rules

I found Cal totally likable, but in a bland and inoffensive way that felt too safe for me to remember him for very long

Now LadyCal, on the other hand, I might remember. All the voice acting has to be the same though, which might be odd

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Dark Souls 2, update 6
    didn't do a whole lot today.

Explored the Iron Keep a bit more, but I'm pretty sure I've done everything of note there.

Remembered a locked door just before the Last Giant and tried the Iron Key. It worked, despite the description. Leads to the salamander pit, but a) I already have the Heavy Iron Key and b) it was easier to just roll off the walkway above and land on the barricade.

Went back over Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak, looking for goodies. Found some. Couldn't do anything with the torch and the windmill, but I might have been in the wrong spot. One of the Manikins finally dropped their sabre, and I leveled it up to "requires chunks." Ditto (or nearly so) with the Blacksteel Katana.

Wandered to the Bastille and used one of my Yore branches. Pleasantly surprised at how expansive the area behind it was; and I finally got the Bastille Key. Fought some Ruin Sentinels, who ended up being a lot more difficult than they should have been. Just the one try, but it was close. It happened that my falchion was about to break, so I swapped to a lower quality one. Found a new bonfire shortly thereafter. Dropped down a ladder and fought The Pursuer, again. My sixth victory followed shortly.

A bit deeper in, I found the Belfry Luna. Rang the bell. Heard a sound like an elevator, maybe? still not sure what these are doing. Laughed a whole bunch when the Belfry Gargoyle fight started. They seemed to have a lot of health and I started being very confused around my sixth or seventh try.

... then I remembered that I wasn't using my main falchion. Whoooops. Still died a couple of times because it's been a long day, but they went down soon enough.

Hit the bonfire after those guys and then ran through the Bastille, looking for locked doors. Very little of value: I had at least hoped for an estus shard (note: I hadn't actually, but that feels true). Oh! It did give me the Southern Ritual Ring, which will give me an attunement slot. I didn't even need the key for McDuff, because I broke down the wall ages ago. I did light up the Lost Sinner's room because, sure, why not.

I may have missed some stuff between the Sentinels and the Gargoyles; might take another pass tomorrow.

Checked around Majula to see what's changed, and the ladder dude from Earthen Peak has joined the community. This finally explains the bloodstain-memories I saw early on, with people climbing a ladder into the Grave of Saints. I'm guessing that those dead people skimped on the cost. I intend to buy the miniature ladder because that tickles my fancy.

Tamin on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Just hit credits after about thirty hours of Hades and have absolutely no desire to stop now, although I really need some more diamonds

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    I like when Star Wars games use actual actors’ faces for the characters. It makes sense in a way.

Plus Cal was actually a pretty good Joker.

• Options

sycjlgvzxs1o.png

Oh this rules

how dare you

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

sycjlgvzxs1o.png

Oh this rules

I found Cal totally likable, but in a bland and inoffensive way that felt too safe for me to remember him for very long

Now LadyCal, on the other hand, I might remember. All the voice acting has to be the same though, which might be odd

Yes, I also had to use a mod to mute Cal's voice which works 90% of the time.

This discussion has been closed.