As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Turambar wrote: »
    Is 3600 MHz and CL16 worth it for Intel too or mostly just for AMD?

Most options here have either high frequency or good timings, not both

Mostly AMD, and 3600MHZ for them is the sweet spot.

That being said, it certainly can't hurt your system, and there will be performance gains from it (however slight). If you're okay with spending that much you probably won't have buyers remorse, just remember to enable XMP in the BIOS otherwise all those megahertz are wasted.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    onboard graphics used to be basically guaranteed but in recent years I've noticed they're no longer always there by default. Double check your CPU has them, especially if it's newer.

Most intel chips still have them. AMD cpus not so much

I thought I noticed integrated graphics being stripped out of new Intel cpus unless you paid an extra markup last year

I mean theoretically yes that’s the function of the F series.

But practically it isn’t because there’s so much less supply of F series cpus

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

That being said, it certainly can't hurt your system, and there will be performance gains from it (however slight). If you're okay with spending that much you probably won't have buyers remorse, just remember to enable XMP in the BIOS otherwise all those megahertz are wasted.

Also enabling XMP might void your warranty for an Intel cpu. That’s in the fine print of a lot of Intel warranties

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I use headphones

Make my PC a fucking wind tunnel I give not a shit

I used to feel this way, but I built my current system about a year ago and still get surprised every time I boot up the old computer. How did I live that way for so long?

The new system sits in a Meshify 2 on my desk (because RGB) so it's really not that far from my ears but is functionally silent compared to the wind tunnel that was my old computer which sat on he floor and was on the other side of my desk and inside an R3 which has sound deadening pads.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I can't exist comfortably in my room without a box fan blowing for the noise, so yeah give me the full jet engine.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Finally rebuilding my rig, and goodness how things have changed in the past 8/9 years!

So I guess it's all about AMD now? Logical Increments even removed all recommendations for Intel CPUs from their lists D:

Is there nothing to gain from going with Intel anymore?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »
    Finally rebuilding my rig, and goodness how things have changed in the past 8/9 years!

So I guess it's all about AMD now? Logical Increments even removed all recommendations for Intel CPUs from their lists D:

Availability is what you gain by going with Intel. They're generally more power-hungry, slower, and have fewer cores. Lack of availability/scalping/etc. has increased AMD's effective price a fair bit, though I'm not sure if it's at parity yet.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Availability is what you gain by going with Intel. They're generally more power-hungry, slower, and have fewer cores. Lack of availability/scalping/etc. has increased AMD's effective price a fair bit, though I'm not sure if it's at parity yet.

Yeah.

Intel certainly hasn't let go of their consumer-unfriendliness, as exemplified just a few posts up by XMP voiding the chips warranty (which I didn't know still existed).

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The 10900K is still a great CPU, it didn't become worse because the Ryzen 5000 series released. It's especially good because you can actually buy one and a motherboard to put it on.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So, well see if it holds...

But I managed to place an order for a 5600x on AMDs site itself.

Maybe I should of gone for the 5800x? I want to got 144 at 1440p at some point...

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    Lo, have I cast mine eyes upon the devastated wasteland wrought by the scourges of COVID-19, Bitcoin, and Ethereum.

Current availability is nice, since there's a baby on the way and I'd like to get a new system set up before the baby lands.

I'm actually looking at the 10600K (or maybe a 10700K?), with the hope that it will last me another 8/9 years. I figure I'll keep my 1070 for now and just swap that out in the future.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Also enabling XMP might void your warranty for an Intel cpu. That’s in the fine print of a lot of Intel warranties

That little warranty clause is such a petty thing to do.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Anyone got any in stock alert links for 3070s?

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular

Maybe I should of gone for the 5800x? I want to got 144 at 1440p at some point...

5600x more than fine for gaming and whatever graphics targets, it's gonna be all about which GPU you grab.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    There's little functional difference for gaming between a 5600x, 5800x, or 5900x. Sure, there are some minor framerate differences here and there, but all of them are just fucking phenomenal gaming processors. As such, I feel like the only reason to go bigger than a 5600x is if you need the extra processing power for tasks like content creation. If you don't, you might as well get the lower TDP part and shave a bit off your power bill.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    There's little functional difference for gaming between a 5600x, 5800x, or 5900x. Sure, there are some minor framerate differences here and there, but all of them are just fucking phenomenal gaming processors. As such, I feel like the only reason to go bigger than a 5600x is if you need the extra processing power for tasks like content creation. If you don't, you might as well get the lower TDP part and shave a bit off your power bill.

Well, it's also a matter of future-proofing.

My target baseline is 8 cores, 16 threads for a small level of future-proofing now, and more is better.

Orca on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

I figure at least matching the core/thread count of the new generation of consoles will be good.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »

5600x more than fine for gaming and whatever graphics targets, it's gonna be all about which GPU you grab.

Sigh.....

I feel like I made a mistake going from a 3600 to a 5600x....but I cant cancel an order from AMD and fuck it, havent been able to get anything else.
    expendable wrote: »

I figure at least matching the core/thread count of the new generation of consoles will be good.

Yeah, I was worried about 6 cores being outdated.

• Options

Sigh.....

I feel like I made a mistake going from a 3600 to a 5600x....but I cant cancel an order from AMD and fuck it, havent been able to get anything else.

Honestly it's not going to be a factor until late in the current console cycle. It's been almost 10 years between builds for me, so that's something that factors in for my parts decisions. If I thought I would maybe upgrade the CPU in under that amount of time 6 cores would be perfectly fine.

And chances are it won't even matter that much at all, and if it does, then you can probably still grab a 5800x or 5900x down the line for cheaper and slot it right in. In the meantime you'll have enjoyed the hell out of your 5600x

Steam
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular

Sigh.....

I'd just wait until mid year and see if they launch XT versions and grab a 5800x/5900x. If you're going to go up might as well get some cores out of it.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Will a dark rock pro 4 have clearance issues with trident z neo ram? And if it does fit, will any of the rgb be visible?

• Options
    Tom's Hardware says Trident Z Neo RAM is 44mm high.

The Dark Rock Pro 4 shows clearances as follows:

u0b6rudc73jw.png

Depending on where the RAM sits on your motherboard, that looks like it might be a problem if you use fans in a push-pull configuration. If you've only got one fan, it looks like you might be able to place it so it doesn't impinge on the RAM.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Try this tool for a more definitive answer: https://www.bequiet.com/en/motherboardcheck

Searching shows at least a couple people reporting the cooler clears the RAM by 2mm, which is consistent with the single fan theory.

Orca on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Tom's Hardware says Trident Z Neo RAM is 44mm high.

The Dark Rock Pro 4 shows clearances as follows:

u0b6rudc73jw.png

Depending on where the RAM sits on your motherboard, that looks like it might be a problem if you use fans in a push-pull configuration. If you've only got one fan, it looks like you might be able to place it so it doesn't impinge on the RAM.

So confusing. Be Quiet! website actually shows that ram in the drp4 product picture, but it looks like a mockup. I saw a post on pcpartpicker that said he had 2mm of clearance in his completed build. I was just going to roll with that, but I hadn't considered that the mobo might change the math. I'm never going to end up buying anything at this rate.

• Options

Sigh.....

I'd just wait until mid year and see if they launch XT versions and grab a 5800x/5900x. If you're going to go up might as well get some cores out of it.

Can't cancel an order from AMD apparently. Lesson learned, make sure you know what you are buying before you order from them.

Just gotta decide if I want to keep the CPU, or deal with CS trying to get a return.

• Options
    gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    Ug, the gaming pc I built just a month ago and didn't order, is now $300+ more. -sadface-

I'm looking to get a good cpu+mobo+case+psu first and formost.
    I'm stuck between a AMD Ryzen 5 5600X vs AMD Ryzen 7 3700X.

I'm looking for the better gaming cpu, and electricity consumtion is important too. (monthly savings add up).
    From what I've read, for gaming, the 5600x uses less electricity for the same fps, or am I getting that wrong?

Someone I saw bought a prebuilt 3070 pc for only $1200, and sold the pc minus gpu for $900. Lucky them.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My motherboard is going. It was an ASUS ROG Crosshair 8 Hero. It lasted 2.5 years and is still under warranty.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    My motherboard is going. It was an ASUS ROG Crosshair 8 Hero. It lasted 2.5 years and is still under warranty.

what are the signs of a mobo going? just curious as i'm always second guessing everything else before the mobo.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Will a dark rock pro 4 have clearance issues with trident z neo ram? And if it does fit, will any of the rgb be visible?

I installed a DRP4 with 64GB of Trident Neo ram last year, so I am uniquely qualified to answer!

Yes the ram will clear, but you'll need to install the RAM before the cooler goes on. Also, the fan will need to be mounted up a few mm to clear the second DIMM slot. The RAM is kinda visible? But it's mostly covered by the fan.

See attached photos.
    gfjtgkru38wl.jpg

3mo5p3yapwv7.jpg

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

what are the signs of a mobo going? just curious as i'm always second guessing everything else before the mobo.

The motherboard can be a culprit or not for just about anything, which is why the standard procedure is to not identify the motherboard as a problem but to rule out literally everything else.

Reseat the GPU, reseat the RAM, drop to one RAM stick, swap out the PSU, strip down unnecessary components, ..... dammit, swap out the CPU? Find another GPU?

It starts to get very painful and prohibitive depending on what you have kicking around, or what your friends maybe have to loan ya for swaps, but eventually you get it working and isolate/replace a component, or you give up and try replacing the motherboard.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    BouwsT wrote: »

I installed a DRP4 with 64GB of Trident Neo ram last year, so I am uniquely qualified to answer!

Yes the ram will clear, but you'll need to install the RAM before the cooler goes on. Also, the fan will need to be mounted up a few mm to clear the second DIMM slot. The RAM is kinda visible? But it's mostly covered by the fan.

See attached photos.
    gfjtgkru38wl.jpg

3mo5p3yapwv7.jpg

That 4x Trident Neo is sexy, I almost wanted to go 4 sticks just for the looks myself. :lol:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Step 1 is to make sure that the chipset on your board allows you to "overclock" the memory so high.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    So when I last built my own system Samsung Evos were pretty much what you wanted for SSDs. Have NVME M.2s changed that any? Is Samsung still the best choice, or are there other competitive brands now?

EDIT: People put heatsinks on their M.2s?!

Akilae on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So when I last built my own system Samsung Evos were pretty much what you wanted for SSDs. Have NVME M.2s changed that any? Is Samsung still the best choice, or are there other competitive brands now?

These drives, ESPECIALLY PCIe 4.0, get super hot. Like, throttle/shut down your PC hot.

So yeah, thermal tape, heatsinks, the whole thing.

Lots of modern motherboards have them built in.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

I've had great success with my Corsair MP600, and installed some XPG M.2's on friend's machines which were absolutely killer, much better performance/$ than Samsungs Evo 970 at the time of purchase. Samsung is still my fav for migrating data and rock-solid performance, but they are not necessary by any stretch on a new machine IMHO.

Also, yes, especially PCIe 4.0, you will ABSOLUTELY want a heatsink. EDIT: Ya, just like syndalis said.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    As an example, I have two PCIE3 NVME drives mounted using the built in motherboard thermal pad and heatsink.

One is my boot drive and sitting pretty at 57C.

The other is my games storage drive and sitting at a much more reasonable 40C.

Shit gets hot yo.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Samsung's not really the only game in town for SSDs, but still makes a great product. I went with a 1TB Sabrent Rocket TLC NVMe4 as a top-of-the-line boot drive, and grabbed this 2TB Crucial P5 on a reasonable sale to serve as a media drive.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    So I was about to just suck it up and buy the MSI x570 Unify from Newegg because I noticed it was in stock. I'd decided on the Tomahawk, but lolnostock, and I'd even decided Fuck Newegg because of their bullshit lately, but I had a moment of weakness and figured, well Newegg has a Unify in stock at MSRP.

But on a whim I checked the Tomahawk stock tracker for Newegg. Oh, they got some in stock today! Go to check it out and...The entire stock was bought and relisted by a 3rd party seller above MSRP.

So I'm back to my Fuck Newegg stance.

Anyway, MSI x570 Unify in stock at Newegg at MSRP, stocked and shipped by Newegg, if you want.

expendable on
    Steam
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I have a Unify and highly recommend it.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Good NVME brands:
    ADATA
    Sabrent
    SiliconPower
    XPG
    Teamgroup
    Gskill
    Inland
    WD

Samsung isn't the only game in town anymore. They no longer have a stranglehold on good controller chips, which is what made their SSDs so much better than other brands.

This discussion has been closed.