Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Ok, here is what I made

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Processor (8x 3.8GHz/32MB L3 Cache)
    Processor Cooling iBUYPOWER DEEPCOOL GAMERSTORM RGB 240mm CASTLE 240EX Liquid Cooler
    Memory 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3600 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory
    Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
    Motherboard ASUS PRIME X570-P - ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 Ports (6 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)
    Power Supply 750 Watt - CORSAIR RM750X - 80 PLUS Gold, Fully Modular
    Primary Hard Drive 1TB GIGABYTE AORUS M.2 PCI-E 4.0 NVME Gen 4 SSD - Read: 5000 MB/s, Write: 4400 MB/s / Gen 3 - Read 3480 MB/s, Write 2100 MB/s

Questions:
    Is liquid cooling normal or recommended for this setup nowadays? I can get Corsair brand for +$65. Or air cooled (AMD Ryzen Wraith?) for about the same price as liquid
    Worth paying +$30-45 for a specific brand RAM (G.Skill, Corsair...)?
    Several 3070 models for minor price increases. Gigabyte Vision OC, Gigabyte Aorus Master OC, MSI Ventus 3X OC? (Then +$120 for MSI Gaming X Trio)
    Same for motherboard. Can get Gigabyte Gaming X, MSI Gaming Plus for small increases, ASRock Steel legend for ~+$75.
    B550 only saves on order of $20-50.
    Worth spending more on better case fans, or just evaluate after I get it? It just says 'default case fans'. Way too many case options, just pick based on aesthetics?

$2073. Don't want to cheap out on another $100 if I'm spending this much.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2021
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Okay, got it.

Just kinda tailspinning over here from the months of advice I got here and from that VRM list that a B550 board was plenty good enough for a 5900x, that the VRM was all that mattered when it came to overclocking, and then suddenly the advice seems to have shifted to "X570 for high end, B550 is mid-tier".

My understanding, and what I was told by this thread, was that the primary difference was features such as WiFi and higher speed secondary M.2 slots, and that the primary goal is to have a good VRM, to hell with the board classification. Now I'm hearing that the X570 offers more CPU power ports? What? Where was this months ago? Have there been new developments in the past couple of months?

Like, I'm not having buyer's remorse, per se, but advice gets parroted when people feel they've been given correct and confident answers and now I'm beginning to question the advice I've given others recently when it comes to picking parts. Is the VRM still the most important part of picking a board or is it getting an X570 or else you're mid-tier?

A high end B550 is every bit as good as a mid tier X570 for 99% of use cases, and yes the VRM remains one of the more important things when it comes to overclocking. But the B550 is intended to be the less expensive option to the X570, so it isn't as if the B550 wins or plays evenly on all fronts. The biggest differences are the following:
    • more available PCIe 4.0 lanes on the X570, such that the chipset can run on 4.0 instead of 3.0, meaning faster/more I/O
    • more PCIe 4.0 devices - you can have two PCIe 4.0 GPUs in SLI (lol who does that any more), or 2-3 m2 NVME SSDs on 4.0 in a RAID... or seriously anything else that is PCIe 4.0 in the second slot now or in the future. B550 only has one available x16 4.0 slot.
    • often, x570 boards in the mid to high end provide additional features for overclocking, such as the aforementioned additional power for the CPU. Most people do not need this, but it is there if you intend to really flex. See below image:
      xqwbwnfr2en7.png
    • Support for way more SATA ports, if that is a thing you care about

But I wouldn't stress, the Tomahawk you have is a legitimately great motherboard.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    There are absolutely B550 boards with extremely good VRM. The issue is that they cost over $250 which is right in the bang for the buck range of X570 and just outside the range of the higher end $300+ X570 boards. In short, they cost too damn much to be worth really considering when X570 is the same price and offers more for the money.

X570 does have an extra 4-pin or 8-pin CPU power connectors but is only necessary for extreme overclocking situations, running multiple highly overclocked GPU's, or filling the PCI slots with power hungry cards like those that add on addition Nvme drives. In normal situations the extra power connectors is not necessary.

There's also the mindset of if you're spending the money on a 5900x or 5950x why are you cheapening out on the motherboard by getting B550 instead of X570? A B550 board with good VRM will run those CPU's just fine and support solid overclocking. However, we're back at the issue of those boards also costing nearly the same as a good X570 and we're back where we started again.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Yeah if you're not doing extreme overclocking, a top tier B550 board is gonna do you fine. It's also near $200, so it's gonna be solid as hell, and it might actually have features an X570 at a similar price point won't have.

When I'm talking "B550 for 5600X", I'm usually recommending $100-$120 boards with the idea of good GPU performance or fast storage to apply the cost savings of using a decent entry level motherboard. Hell, if all you want is a plug and play system with mid tier components and will only be using a single PCIe lane, go get you a Micro ATX board and save $20-$30 bucks. Once we start hitting the $150+ range for B550 boards, things tend to start getting a bit murky, and for about a $70 range you can kind of make an argument for either board.

Like I would never ever recommend someone use a 5900X in this motherboard.

Maybe it's my fault for speaking in such absolutes when there is a fairly large grey area, but I figure some clarification on my part couldn't hurt.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    There are absolutely B550 boards with extremely good VRM. The issue is that they cost over $250 which is right in the bang for the buck range of X570 and just outside the range of the higher end $300+ X570 boards. In short, they cost too damn much to be worth really considering when X570 is the same price and offers more for the money.

X570 does have an extra 4-pin or 8-pin CPU power connectors but is only necessary for extreme overclocking situations, running multiple highly overclocked GPU's, or filling the PCI slots with power hungry cards like those that add on addition Nvme drives. In normal situations the extra power connectors is not necessary.

There's also the mindset of if you're spending the money on a 5900x or 5950x why are you cheapening out on the motherboard by getting B550 instead of X570? A B550 board with good VRM will run those CPU's just fine and support solid overclocking. However, we're back at the issue of those boards also costing nearly the same as a good X570 and we're back where we started again.

I only paid $160 for my B550 Tomahawk. Looking just now, they're up to $180 currently.

I got a B550 because I didn't care about WiFi, didn't care about the secondary M.2 slot, and certainly didn't need any SATA connectors for literally anything ever. Like, why I'm saying the things I'm saying is because this is the conversation I had with this thread just a few months ago, and the overwhelming consensus was that the X570 wasn't worth it unless you wanted those specific features (and, frankly, there are B550 boards that still have one or more of those features).

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I only paid $160 for my B550 Tomahawk. Looking just now, they're up to $180 currently.

I got a B550 because I didn't care about WiFi, didn't care about the secondary M.2 slot, and certainly didn't need any SATA connectors for literally anything ever. Like, why I'm saying the things I'm saying is because this is the conversation I had with this thread just a few months ago, and the overwhelming consensus was that the X570 wasn't worth it unless you wanted those specific features (and, frankly, there are B550 boards that still have one or more of those features).

You also said you weren't going to be doing crazy overclocking, which kind of sealed it for B550

• Options
    Pemulis wrote: »
    Ok, here is what I made

Processor Cooling iBUYPOWER DEEPCOOL GAMERSTORM RGB 240mm CASTLE 240EX Liquid Cooler
    Memory 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3600 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory
    Motherboard ASUS PRIME X570-P - ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 Ports (6 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)
    Primary Hard Drive 1TB GIGABYTE AORUS M.2 PCI-E 4.0 NVME Gen 4 SSD - Read: 5000 MB/s, Write: 4400 MB/s / Gen 3 - Read 3480 MB/s, Write 2100 MB/s

Questions:
    Is liquid cooling normal or recommended for this setup nowadays? I can get Corsair brand for +$65. Or air cooled (AMD Ryzen Wraith?) for about the same price as liquid
    Several 3070 models for minor price increases. Gigabyte Vision OC, Gigabyte Aorus Master OC, MSI Ventus 3X OC? (Then +$120 for MSI Gaming X Trio)
    Same for motherboard. Can get Gigabyte Gaming X, MSI Gaming Plus for small increases, ASRock Steel legend for ~+$75.
    Worth spending more on better case fans, or just evaluate after I get it? It just says 'default case fans'. Way too many case options, just pick based on aesthetics?

- Liquid cooling is fine, but you'll want at least a 240mm or larger for a 5800x. That $65 Corsair is probably a 120mm which is poor value and not really good enough.
    - The differences in ram is going to come down to speed, looks, and with/without RGB. The most important thing is that you get 3600mhz CL16. From there choose what you think looks the best and whether or not you want RGB.
    - For the video cards the more expensive cards are going to have more robust cooling solutions and better/higher boost overclocks. They're all going to perform within 3-5% of one another.
    - That Asus motherboard is a very low end X570 and I'd look to see if they have the ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus wifi instead if you want to stay in that price range.
    - You might be able to save a little bit my getting a Pcie-3 drive like the XPG SX8200 Pro which is still extremely fast.
    - What case options are there? Default fans will be fine unless the case itself doesn't have good airflow or fans to begin with.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

You also said you weren't going to be doing crazy overclocking, which kind of sealed it for B550

True, and I still won't be. I just thought the VRM was the end-all be-all when it came to that.

Again, this is less about my build, which I'm perfectly happy with, and more about making sure the advice stored in my head from this experience is correct and I'm not parroting good advice for me as bad advice for others.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options

True, and I still won't be. I just thought the VRM was the end-all be-all when it came to that.

Again, this is less about my build, which I'm perfectly happy with, and more about making sure the advice stored in my head from this experience is correct and I'm not parroting good advice for me as bad advice for others.

It's complicated, especially with the murky middle-range between the two.

I'd say it's a fairly safe bet to go low TDP with B550, high TDP with X570. But there's always cases where things might be different, use cases might be different, and obviously not all mobos are created equally. Like, you probably wouldn't want to recommend a $120 X570 board to someone, especially one that seems feature-rich, because that means shit got cut somewhere.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The latest Nvidia GeForce driver update seems to have fried all DisplayPort capability on my computer.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Ok, here is what I made

Questions:

- Liquid cooling is fine, but you'll want at least a 240mm or larger for a 5800x. That $65 Corsair is probably a 120mm which is poor value and not really good enough.
    - The differences in ram is going to come down to speed, looks, and with/without RGB. The most important thing is that you get 3600mhz CL16. From there choose what you think looks the best and whether or not you want RGB.
    - For the video cards the more expensive cards are going to have more robust cooling solutions and better/higher boost overclocks. They're all going to perform within 3-5% of one another.
    - That Asus motherboard is a very low end X570 and I'd look to see if they have the ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus wifi instead if you want to stay in that price range.
    - You might be able to save a little bit my getting a Pcie-3 drive like the XPG SX8200 Pro which is still extremely fast.
    - What case options are there? Default fans will be fine unless the case itself doesn't have good airflow or fans to begin with.-

- It requires me to pick a 240mm with the 5800X, like you recommend. Default is ibuypower deepcool gamerstorm RGB castle 240EX, it's an extra $65 for Corsair iCue H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm.
    - It doesn't say if the RAM is CL16, I can just pick the brand in 3600mhz :( If this is a risk it looks like I can get 16GB 3600 Crucial CL16 on amazon for $100. I could either see what I get, or add in another 16GB... or drop the RAM to 8GB 3000Mhz, save $130 and replace it with something from Amazon?
    -The drive I selected is on sale, so it's only a $21 savings to go to the SX8200
    -I don't see that MB...

It looks like I can share a link if you feel inclined to look at the options
    https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/AMD-Gaming-Daily-Deal/W/1333515

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm investigating AIO cooling myself right now, and I have no idea what I'm doing. This is a 5600X, so maybe 360mm is overkill?

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm investigating AIO cooling myself right now, and I have no idea what I'm doing. This is a 5600X, so maybe 360mm is overkill?

Not really no. The larger the radiator allows for more cooling capacity which is turn means the fans can run at a lower speed resulting in a quieter cooler computer.

Cormac on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, for a 5800x, you'll definitely want to go with a better cooler. the prisim wraith is....probably fine, but noisy. If you want to go air, I'd just get whatever the cheapest option is and replace it yourself, but for liquid, there's probably decent options available.

For a 5600x, a 360mm is totally overkill, yeah

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    You absolutely do not need a 360mm radiator for a 5600X unless you're also running your GPU through the same loop for some reason.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    this is the whole need vs want thing though.

If you WANT a computer that barely makes a whisper at load, going overkill on the PSU, coolers, etc. means the fans can idle more often then not, or just barely spin as needed when things start ramping up.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Yeah, right now I'm mostly considering symmetry - with a 360mm I'd have 3x fans on the top-mounted AIO, 3x intake fans mounted along the bottom. Bit annoying that it seems all but impossible to buy just an AIO without fans and use your own fans of choice.

• Options
    I use headphones

Make my PC a fucking wind tunnel I give not a shit

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, right now I'm mostly considering symmetry - with a 360mm I'd have 3x fans on the top-mounted AIO, 3x intake fans mounted along the bottom. Bit annoying that it seems all but impossible to buy just an AIO without fans and use your own fans of choice.

You can still put on your own fans if you so choose--I've done so. Be aware that doing so can significantly hurt your cooling depending on fan choice.

I've taken a ~20C hit to my CPU temps due to replacing the fans on my 240 (280?) MM AIO. I've made the active choice to allow my CPU temp to hit ~80C at full load in exchange for near silence at idle and quiet fans at load.

edit: most people would probably say that's stupid, but I hate noise.

Orca on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I use headphones

Make my PC a fucking wind tunnel I give not a shit

Yeah, this is why the rgb stuff confuses me. Why are some people simultaneously sensitive to a fan sound while wearing headphones, yet can have a Daft Punk concert happening just in the periphery of vision? If I forget to turn off the music sync, I'll turn my head 50 times during a movie when the lights flash.

• Options
    Holy crap, what are the tariffs at? I just specced out a system on Ibuypower that a month ago came in at $3500 or thereabouts; it's now close to $4000.

Jesus christ!

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I ordered the Noctua DH-15 and it showed up. It's one thing to see the dimensions on the spec sheet and be able to visualize that.

It's another when the chonky chonky box shows up.

But now I have a case and an air cooler. Everything else but the RAM is out of stock.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Holy crap, what are the tariffs at? I just specced out a system on Ibuypower that a month ago came in at $3500 or thereabouts; it's now close to $4000.

Jesus christ!

I think 25% on motherboards, PSUs, and GPUs.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    I ordered the Noctua DH-15 and it showed up. It's one thing to see the dimensions on the spec sheet and be able to visualize that.

It's another when the chonky chonky box shows up.

But now I have a case and an air cooler. Everything else but the RAM is out of stock.

Be careful installing the dh15. I have a scar on one of my fingers from when it slipped.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

Jesus christ!

I think 25% on motherboards, PSUs, and GPUs.

Fuck me.

When the hell are we getting those tariffs reversed?

• Options
    I guess I'm doubly not buying a new computer this generation. 2 months ago I was all set to drop $3500 on a new computer.

NOT TODAY.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

FWIW, I am still of this opinion. The VRMs are what count for overlocking, not the chipset. The B550 is, we might recall, a newer chipset than the X570 anyway.

Unless you get some absolute cheap-ass nonamo B550 off aliexpress, I really doubt it will have an issue running a 5900X. Watching Buildzoid's and HUBs's videos makes it pretty clear that there's no great difference between B550 and X570 as such in terms of supporting a 12-core. People are running them successfully on B450 boards, FFS.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

FWIW, I am still of this opinion. The VRMs are what count for overlocking, not the chipset. The B550 is, we might recall, a newer chipset than the X570 anyway.

Unless you get some absolute cheap-ass nonamo B550 off aliexpress, I really doubt it will have an issue running a 5900X. Watching Buildzoid's and HUBs's videos makes it pretty clear that there's no great difference between B550 and X570 as such in terms of supporting a 12-core. People are running them successfully on B450 boards, FFS.

Agreed. I think part of the point of B550 (along with PCI-e 4.0 support) was to have better VRMs so that the high-end 3000 and 5000 series chips could be run on the "lower-end" motherboard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Hooray, new PSU installed and everything is back to normal.

Maybe better than normal, I'd had a hiccup here and there which I thought might be the PSU but then dismissed because it didn't happen again. We'll see.

• Options
    Getting some pretty wildly differing CPU temps depending on software. Top AMD Ryzen Master, bottom AIDA64.

fu6ti14as03n.png

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Bleh, stuck on analysis/paralysis on choosing the ibuypower parts vs trying to get parts myself. The latter means waiting months?

Also, is this 5800X/3070 system totally overkill if I don’t have a 4K monitor?

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Bleh, stuck on analysis/paralysis on choosing the ibuypower parts vs trying to get parts myself. The latter means waiting months?

no.

3070 is a really good 1440p card if you want peak shinies.

edit: nobody NEEDS a 5XXX processor right now, so arguably that is overkill for all but silly things like DORF or MSFS, but why not get it if you can find it? Good to be a little future proofed.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

I might be overkill for some games now at 1440p/60hz.

It won't be overkill 3-4 years from now.

And it's definitely not overkill now for high refresh rate.

• Options
    Sorry, mixed up my resolutions. I have a 2560x1080 monitor currently. Not 1440

• Options
    Sorry, mixed up my resolutions. I have a 2560x1080 monitor currently. Not 1440

Yeah you'll be getting all the frames.

Frames for days.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Best Buy a few minutes from my apartment had a single PSU available for pickup.

So I'm gonna pick that up and now I'll have a Case, PSU, and cpu air cooler.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Wife's old monitor wouldn't keep up with the 3080, just never found the signal. So got her a 1440p one on Sunday, on sale! The one they had at store turned out to be open box, so they knocked off some more. Pick it up, we check cables, HDMI DIsplayPort power, all good time to go home.

Setting it up and ... oh the power cable in the bag was just half of it, is missing the the short run between brick and wall... :rotate:

They had a bunch of spares and I had a moment to pickup tonight, whoops.

Now my wife basically has the computer I was originally trying to build... we were planning on getting her build done in 2021 sometime, back before everything blew up and we all got into this mess. With upping my own parts just due to availability, and still having backorders, we just figured "hey, maybe we can swing a second build much sooner, and not worry about what's going on." Wasn't planning on the monitor but her old one failed us there.

We're out of the game, good luck and happy hunting yall!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    onboard graphics used to be basically guaranteed but in recent years I've noticed they're no longer always there by default. Double check your CPU has them, especially if it's newer.

Most intel chips still have them. AMD cpus not so much

I thought I noticed integrated graphics being stripped out of new Intel cpus unless you paid an extra markup last year

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I'm not convinced it's worth the money, but this is some cool bling for your case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxCD7F7dCyA

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Is 3600 MHz and CL16 worth it for Intel too or mostly just for AMD?

Most options here have either high frequency or good timings, not both

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
This discussion has been closed.