As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Second Impeachment] Acquitted of Armed Insurrection | 57 Votes for Guilty

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that due to gerrymandering, most remaining House Republicans are from very far-right districts, like as right-wing as the most conservative states or moreso. I would expect a higher percentage of GOP Senators to vote to convict. Whether that's enough, yeah, I doubt it

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    "No split" is a bit of an overstatement, but yeah there is still overwhelming support. The "lets not kill politicians" faction of the current GoP looks to be around 1/5th. That's enough to keep Trump from winning a fair election, but with so much support for violence in politics now...

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Republicans want to get rid of Trump without getting rid of his base, because the Republican base without the Trumpalos right now can't win them elections.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

giphy.gif

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    The "you don't need 2/3rds for disqualification" thing seemed like internet speculativeness but it's actually legit:

https://law.justia.com/constitution/us/article-2/49-judgment-removal-and-disqualification.html#fn-856

This would mean the only non-moot outcome of the Senate Trial, being barred from office, might actually come to pass on Trump.

That would be a huge win for democracy, the country, and the world.

I was talking about this last night, and I actually think it's win/win/win for everyone involved which is kind of infuriating.

The GOP, as a party, absolutely do not want Trump to run in the 2024 election. The constituency may still be behind him, but he's already proven to be nuclear radiation to national races, and is an absolute albatross around their necks even if policies they like get passed at the executive level.

But they also do not want to have to vote for impeachment, which some would have to do in order for it to pass

but they don't have to vote for disqualification. So they'll vote no across the board, getting to tell their constituents that they tried to defend Trump against this political hack job.

"What are you going to do," they'll say, this is why elections are important. Make sure to elect your GOP Senator next time so we can make sure this never happens again.

And deep down, Trump does not want to actually be president again. What a nightmare for him. If he has had any clarity in the past week, it's that this has been a net negative for him, personally, and his overreach with the insurrection has almost guaranteed his downfall. What he wants is to be able to portray himself as a victim, bilk his followers for more cash for as long as he can, and possibly create an opposing media platform to further cement himself in the landscape.

If he's disqualified, more the better for him, he can become a martyr and still have rallies and make promises with a rock solid reason for not running or ever taking office again. The only true consequence for him at this point is being banned from Twitter, that really fucked him up.

For the Democrats, they absolutely have to vote for it, because otherwise what the fuck are they doing here. And they accomplish something that is a net good, which is that this dangerous person can't hold federal office again.

Everyone gets what they want and the GOP/Trump gets to pretend like they did exactly the thing that they should have been doing all along.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The problem with voting to disqualify even if he isn’t convicted is that Republicans will do it to us immediately after they have a majority in the house/senate. Not sure they won’t do it anyway but if we don’t attempt they have less of a fig leaf and might actually pay for it

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The problem with voting to disqualify even if he isn’t convicted is that Republicans will do it to us immediately after they have a majority in the house/senate. Not sure they won’t do it anyway but if we don’t attempt they have less of a fig leaf and might actually pay for it

Oh well if we're worried about what bad faith actors are going to do regardless we definitely shouldn't do the right thing.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Oh well if we're worried about what bad faith actors are going to do regardless we definitely shouldn't do the right thing.

I don't even see what they'd be doing here - the process doesn't apply to members of Congress, disqualification doesn't remove from office so has no effect on the courts, and I don't really see a situation where a democrat wins election without winning the House. And you can't use it against people who aren't in office at all, so... uh...?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Suppose Republicans take the house and senate in 2022. They will prevent biden and harris from running again in 2024

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Suppose Republicans take the house and senate in 2022. They will prevent biden and harris from running again in 2024

Well now I definitely want it

• Options

Again, the current Congress cannot limit what they do based on what bad faith things Republicans will do. They'll do them regardless, the only thing to do right now is the right thing and fix what they can.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I expect they will try regardless, because performative stunts are their bread and butter.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

giphy.gif

Boring conversation, anyways

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options

I expect they will try regardless, because performative stunts are their bread and butter.

I mean, Rep Marjorie Taylor-Greene plans on drawing up Biden impeachment documents on January 21 for abuse of power, speaking of pure bad faith ignorance.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

I mean what has prevented them doing this for the past two hundred years and also what’s preventing them doing it even if the Democrats don’t disqualify trump?

It’s not like this past senate has not been doing unprecedented things under mconells leadership.

You can’t make 5d chess moves against a player who doesn’t care about the rules and never has.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    The problem for the GOP is that they've essentially handcuffed themselves to the train headed for crazy town full of crazy psychopaths. Said psychopaths have now armed a nuke that will go off once they hit crazy town.

The party is probably irredeemable at this point. The stench of traitor fucker is hard to shake and Trump was taking over the party because his shitty core is the embodiment of what many archconservatives buy into. They also don't believe conservatism can fail, so they probably don't see the coup as treason against the state and just merely see it as their followers failing them.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »

I mean, Rep Marjorie Taylor-Greene plans on drawing up Biden impeachment documents on January 21 for abuse of power, speaking of pure bad faith ignorance.

They said the same thing about Obama and never did shit.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The Republican party is not just pandering to the crazies. It's also turns normal conservatives into crazed loons. It's radicalizing people. The party is out of control.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Republicans are going to do what they are going to do

they will provide no credible justification and they will not see one iota of consequences for overreaching or being hypocritical

not acting because we're afraid what Republicans might do is not only cowardice, it is literally how we've allowed this country to become as fucked up as it is

if it's the right thing to do, do it

fuck Republicans

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The Republican party is not just pandering to the crazies. It's also turns normal conservatives into crazed loons. It's radicalizing people. The party is out of control.

Practically all of my customers are conservative and a few that "weren't so bad" a long time ago, the type that just didn't know up from down because they'd been raised on conservative rhetoric, and they're being told nonsense by talk radio and fox news. Not even racists or bigots, just people that didn't actually know how government functions, who was rightfully to blame for things that were happening, and what the actual results of various laws and policies were.

These not so bad but chronically misinformed people have all been warped and twisted by Trump and what the opposition to anything and everything Democratic is now. Last October there was a guy so upset at the prospect that Trump could lose the election that he sat down on the couch in our front office and openly sobbed. Telling us he was afraid for himself and his family and he didn't know what they were going to do if the Republicans lost. "There's no telling what they'll do, what they'll take from us next!"

Another one who is typically in our office at least once or twice a week, every week for over a decade, openly used a racist slur after seeing something in the news for the first time last year.

One of my mothers friends who I've known my whole life and was always kind of another aunt growing up is now a completely beyond the pale Qanon believer. If I found out that she had been arrested for being in the mob last week, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

It's all just unbelievably toxic.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Apparently there was some almost cartoon physics in some of the attacks..
    https://extremism.gwu.edu/sites/g/files/zaxdzs2191/f/Robert Sanford Statement of Facts.pdf
    The object appears to strike one officer, who was wearing a helmet, in the head. The object then ricochets and strikes another officer, who was not wearing a helmet, in the head. The object then ricochets a third time and strikes a third officer, wearing a helmet, in the head.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Fyi, can't do the "prohibited from running again" vote if the "convict and remove" vote doesn't pass first. Per some expert on NPR last night as i was driving home from work.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    https://extremism.gwu.edu/sites/g/files/zaxdzs2191/f/Robert Sanford Statement of Facts.pdf
    The object appears to strike one officer, who was wearing a helmet, in the head. The object then ricochets and strikes another officer, who was not wearing a helmet, in the head. The object then ricochets a third time and strikes a third officer, wearing a helmet, in the head.

In the image, the police were grouped very closely together due to the crowd, so it’s not too impossible for something as large as a fire extinguisher to hit multiple people that close to each other. Still crazy though.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    At this point I think Trump running for office in 2024 is best case scenerio for the return to sanity. Getting a "normal" candidate in the GOP election just provides more cover for the majority of their loons doing extremist shit. Trump continues to expose the Republican party for what it is, and that seems to be the only way to heal the nation.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I'm old enough to remember the first time Trump ran being good because it's not possible that he could win

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    At this point I think Trump running for office in 2024 is best case scenerio for the return to sanity. Getting a "normal" candidate in the GOP election just provides more cover for the majority of their loons doing extremist shit. Trump continues to expose the Republican party for what it is, and that seems to be the only way to heal the nation.

I think we've had enough finding out thanks, let's stop fucking around

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    How about we don't put people up for election that are interested in burning this whole teetering edifice down and installing themselves as dictator for life

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Fyi, can't do the "prohibited from running again" vote if the "convict and remove" vote doesn't pass first. Per some expert on NPR last night as i was driving home from work.

the precedent from the last two times it mattered, 1907 and 1936, the Senate decided you don't need to convict in order to disqualify and you don't need a 2/3 vote to disqualify
    The Senate imposed disqualification twice, on Judges Humphreys and Archbald. In the Humphreys trial the Senate determined that the issues of removal and disqualification are divisible, 3 HINDS ’ PRECEDENTS OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES § 2397 (1907), and in the Archbald trial the Senate imposed judgment of disqualification by vote of 39 to 35. 6 CANNON ’ S PRECEDENTS OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES § 512 (1936). During the 1936 trial of Judge Ritter, a parliamentary inquiry as to whether a two-thirds vote or a simple majority vote is required for disqualification was answered by reference to the simple majority vote in the Archbald trial. 3 DESCHLER ’ S PRECEDENTS ch. 14, § 13.10. The Senate then rejected disqualification of Judge Ritter by vote of 76–0. 80 CONG. REC. 5607 (1936)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/article-2/section-4/judgment-removal-and-disqualification

any argument claiming you need conviction and/or 2/3 to disqualify would rely on existing precedent to be overturned, which is entirely possible, but does not reflect how the rules are currently interpreted

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Now that, my friends, was one magic loogie.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    If you haven't learned how dangerous accelerationist type thinking is by now I don't know what to tell you. The only thing it's gotten us closer to is total collapse, which I guess if that's your goal, we're never going to see eye to eye

I for one hope Trump is convicted and/or does not run, and the GOP next time steps back from the chasm and runs a semi-sane candidate where I won't be terrified every single day if said person manages to win the presidency (preferably an uncharismatic bad one)

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Practically all of my customers are conservative and a few that "weren't so bad" a long time ago, the type that just didn't know up from down because they'd been raised on conservative rhetoric, and they're being told nonsense by talk radio and fox news. Not even racists or bigots, just people that didn't actually know how government functions, who was rightfully to blame for things that were happening, and what the actual results of various laws and policies were.

These not so bad but chronically misinformed people have all been warped and twisted by Trump and what the opposition to anything and everything Democratic is now. Last October there was a guy so upset at the prospect that Trump could lose the election that he sat down on the couch in our front office and openly sobbed. Telling us he was afraid for himself and his family and he didn't know what they were going to do if the Republicans lost. "There's no telling what they'll do, what they'll take from us next!"

Another one who is typically in our office at least once or twice a week, every week for over a decade, openly used a racist slur after seeing something in the news for the first time last year.

One of my mothers friends who I've known my whole life and was always kind of another aunt growing up is now a completely beyond the pale Qanon believer. If I found out that she had been arrested for being in the mob last week, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

It's all just unbelievably toxic.

Yeah. I hear that a lot.

“The country will be over if the democrats win again”.

Like seriously they were in charge 16 of the last 30 years don’t you think if they were going to destroy America they would have done it by now?

You point that out and they go “Well democrats aren’t the same now as they were in the Clinton era.”

And again the last 2 Democratic candidates for president were fucking HILLARY CLINTON and JOE BIDEN.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I don’t think a semi-sane candidate gets through their primary; they had many such options in 2016 and chose none of them, and I doubt their inclinations have improved.

Pence might think he can win it but that dude makes white bread look interesting

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I mean, for koolaid drinkers, progressives truly are a nightmare. They literally want to remove everything you hold dear.

The problem is, those dear things of yours are pretty fucked up.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    OremLK wrote: »
    If you haven't learned how dangerous accelerationist type thinking is by now I don't know what to tell you. The only thing it's gotten us closer to is total collapse, which I guess if that's your goal, we're never going to see eye to eye

I for one hope Trump is convicted and/or does not run, and the GOP next time steps back from the chasm and runs a semi-sane candidate where I won't be terrified every single day if said person manages to win the presidency (preferably an uncharismatic bad one)

I’d like to think that all happens, but I worry because we’ve been fighting some variant of the same ideological battles for decades (broadly of course; think abortion, anything related to gender or sex, anything related to race, federal authority, economic programs meant to assist anybody outside of the upper class). Worse, I increasingly fear that most of these ideological disagreements are superficial cover, and the real ideological battle is simply the desire for blatant, outright ‘traditional’ white masculine supremacy (again, broadly, the individual human mind can spin up all kinds of fun variations within this framework).

If that is, in fact, the case, there’s really no coming back for these people. Any authority outside those terms is illegitimate, and any progress towards a better society needs to be guarded indefinitely so long as the GOP retains any power, lest we fall back.

This is overly rambling, but I think it’s safe to say that political tension rises and falls. It peaked last week, and, I feel, has declined somewhat since then. However, based on the above framework, there’s no real resolution to the tension, it just dissipates back into a closed system, where it will inevitably return because the core issues can’t be addressed by compromise.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

They're just going to steal everything.
    More stuff (appears to be Abe Lincoln bust) leaving the West Wing this afternoon.

Tweet is Jim Acosta

Jragghen on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I don't know what they think they're going to get for that. "Stolen from the White House" seems like it would be pretty radioactive.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Can't wait for them to try to take the resolute desk.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I don't know what they think they're going to get for that. "Stolen from the White House" seems like it would be pretty radioactive.

Putin already paid for it.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »

I’d like to think that all happens, but I worry because we’ve been fighting some variant of the same ideological battles for decades (broadly of course; think abortion, anything related to gender or sex, anything related to race, federal authority, economic programs meant to assist anybody outside of the upper class). Worse, I increasingly fear that most of these ideological disagreements are superficial cover, and the real ideological battle is simply the desire for blatant, outright ‘traditional’ white masculine supremacy (again, broadly, the individual human mind can spin up all kinds of fun variations within this framework).

If that is, in fact, the case, there’s really no coming back for these people. Any authority outside those terms is illegitimate, and any progress towards a better society needs to be guarded indefinitely so long as the GOP retains any power, lest we fall back.

This is overly rambling, but I think it’s safe to say that political tension rises and falls. It peaked last week, and, I feel, has declined somewhat since then. However, based on the above framework, there’s no real resolution to the tension, it just dissipates back into a closed system, where it will inevitably return because the core issues can’t be addressed by compromise.

Breitbart was right about something: politics is downstream from culture.

That's part of why it feels like the country is finally around the spot I thought we were, or ought to be, in the 90's when I was a teenager and knew everything. In reality the 90's were when interracial marriage finally broke majority support and we further outlawed gay people. In another ~30 years a lot of the fights we're having now, around who is a full American, will be basically taken for granted among a wide swathe of the populace with the usual dead enders still decrying women wearing jeans or whatever. It's just putting in the work to make it to that higher ground against the usual backlash.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

They're just going to steal everything.
    More stuff (appears to be Abe Lincoln bust) leaving the West Wing this afternoon.

Tweet is Jim Acosta

Before we jump to "they are looting!" this doesn't appear to be any of the government white house busts of abe lincoln.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.