Options

GME-ing the stonk market

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Pump and dump schemes are a type of securities fraud.

• Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Doesn't that require a group of insiders that secretly agree on when to sell together and a group of outsiders that get screwed over?

There's nothing secretive being done here by tweeting that people should buy a stock.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 14
    Yeah, I'm not sure how well the law or reality are prepared to deal with people who go looking for coded messages in literal children's books, and come up with increasingly elaborate backstories for events that didn't happen but will totally lead to a single share of Gamestop being worth $500,000,000.

The right or wrong person dropping their phone and accidentally tweeting a single letter will cause some of these people to go right from their usual frothing unhinged levels straight to 'plaid'.

At least as per the documentary on that side of things, it seemed that DeepFuckingValue/RoaringKitty had divested themselves ages ago.

Though given the tens of millions he was estimated to have potentially earned doing so, if he saw/suspected a major bump was about to happen, throwing a couple of tweets out and tripling whatever he tucked in there in the span of a week is pretty impressive, even if it's playing with fire. Again.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure how well the law or reality are prepared to deal with people who go looking for coded messages in literal children's books, and come up with increasingly elaborate backstories for events that didn't happen but will totally lead to a single share of Gamestop being worth $500,000,000.

The right or wrong person dropping their phone and accidentally tweeting a single letter will cause some of these people to go right from their usual frothing unhinged levels straight to 'plaid'.

At least as per the documentary on that side of things, it seemed that DeepFuckingValue/RoaringKitty had divested themselves ages ago.

Though given the tens of millions he was estimated to have potentially earned doing so, if he saw/suspected a major bump was about to happen, throwing a couple of tweets out and tripling whatever he tucked in there in the span of a week is pretty impressive, even if it's playing with fire. Again.

DFV's current stake is one of the mysteries. I never saw the documentary, but the info prior was that he'd only sold a portion of what he had and still held onto a significant portion.

The stock rising in price the last few weeks was already making the financial news outlets and Gamestop's plans to get into valuable Pokemon cards was already putting it into the gaming news outlets. DFV tweeting pushed things into mainstream media outlets.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited May 14
    While I wouldn't expect Dan Olson to be considered an unimpeachable source, the documentary this shows up in indicates that it was believed he cashed out to something like $25-50 million, on an estimated ~$50k investment. Granted, it might not have been 100% of his holdings,

Which doesn't mean that he couldn't have been buying back in over time while things simmered for the last few years, of course. Or know people who'd really like an assist with potentially recouping some cash of their own, because that mess left bagholders aplenty.

Forar on
  • Options

Doesn't that require a group of insiders that secretly agree on when to sell together and a group of outsiders that get screwed over?

There's nothing secretive being done here by tweeting that people should buy a stock.

https://www.investor.gov/introduction-investing/investing-basics/glossary/pump-and-dump-schemes
    In a pump and dump scheme, fraudsters typically spread false or misleading information to create a buying frenzy that will “pump” up the price of a stock and then “dump” shares of the stock by selling their own shares at the inflated price. Once the fraudsters dump their shares and stop hyping the stock, the stock price typically falls and investors lose money.

False or misleading information about a company’s stock price may be spread through sources including social media, investment research websites, investment newsletters, online advertisements, email, Internet chat rooms, direct mail, newspapers, magazines, and radio. Microcap companies are particularly vulnerable to pump and dump schemes because there is often limited publicly-available information about microcap companies.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    The question becomes, does posting a textless meme count as fraudulent information if you know there are crazy cultists out there who will take it as such?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    The question becomes, does posting a textless meme count as fraudulent information if you know there are crazy cultists out there who will take it as such?

He already posted and talked about it in great detail in the last run up. He went before congress. He wasn't arrested or charged with anything. He didn't do anything illegal.

You'll also have to convince me anything he said was fraudulent or untrue.

• Options
    It's possible he's dumb/greedy enough to flagrantly try to pump/dump this thing, but I'd say it's just as likely that he's simply capitalizing on an existing situation.

Seeing as it was going up before he tweeted, we'd need evidence that he was somehow tied to it going up before he acted publicly, would we not?

If he's desperate to end up speaking before congress again, go for it, my dude.

https://youtu.be/5pYeoZaoWrA?si=cVuCOj2ZpNpsrle2

Keith's section starts around 1:04:25 for those that just want to see it for themselves.

• Options
    While I wouldn't expect Dan Olson to be considered an unimpeachable source, the documentary this shows up in indicates that it was believed he cashed out to something like $25-50 million, on an estimated ~$50k investment. Granted, it might not have been 100% of his holdings,

Which doesn't mean that he couldn't have been buying back in over time while things simmered for the last few years, of course. Or know people who'd really like an assist with potentially recouping some cash of their own, because that mess left bagholders aplenty.

Back in 2021, he did post some disclosures and even after he sold off enough to make several millions, he still held a ton of stock. Gamestop was trading extremely, extremely low and DFV was an options trader where contracts start at thousands of shares. He could of course have continued to sell shares afterwards during the various periods the stock has rallied, but he also has no real need to.

As it stands, the common Meme stocks have all gone through cycles of rallying and deflating without DFV being involved (and he was only ever involved in Gamestop). Enough people seem to be tracking when a lot of margin calls are due and short sellers have to go on buying sprees that it almost feels part of financial cycles now, just nowhere near to the degree of 2021. The genie is out of the bottle regarding being able to make money off of highly shorted stocks but also about maybe not shorting so much of a stock that there aren't enough actual shares available to cover all those shorts.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Pump and dumps (as traditionally understood) rely essentially on fraud; getting people to buy a stock/asset by providing false information. If RK provides no information in the first place it’s difficult to argue anything illegal has taken place.

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Yeah, getting up to 140% is a situation that I hope anyone trying to run that particular game knows to avoid in the future.

Or not, because as Dan says, 'Wallstreet is run by corrupt greedy assholes', so someone doing something shorted sighted out of greed or even spite isn't something we can rule out.

• Options
    Yeah, getting up to 140% is a situation that I hope anyone trying to run that particular game knows to avoid in the future.

Or not, because as Dan says, 'Wallstreet is run by corrupt greedy assholes', so someone doing something shorted sighted out of greed or even spite isn't something we can rule out.

The spite aspect is actually really interesting to me. A lot of people who got left holding the bag in 2021 after Robin Hood stopped being able to issue shares never sold. In the modern stock market where algorithms form the basis for many decisions, I'm sure there's been some accommodation for many people selling low out of panic but I don't know if they're able to account for spite holding.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Not just spite holding but there was a whole thing about holding cold shares so that the total number of borrowable shares was lowered.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Reading that this is still catching short-sellers out is weird, I guess some people just like to gamble on the rationality of, uh, finance cultists.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 17
    Attributing any of this movement to Roaring Kitty is kind of insane to me, but what do I know. Media acts like he is some massive figure or something and has power equal to Elon or Trump. It's wild.

Dude is just memeing through it.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 3
    RK posted an updated position to Reddit. Let's just say he bought a few more shares.
    g3e3cnn6l5fz.jpg

Say what you will, turning 50k into 210m has to be some kind of record.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    He didn't? I think you're looking at the wrong columns - $210M is the current value of assets in that account, but they were purchased for $174.5M, so the net profit is $6.9M ($210M, less $174M cost of purchase, less $29M cash transfers presumably held as collateral).

• Options
    He meant over the course of this whole saga I believe.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Well that number just changed.

rvv0xjbj8f6w.png

I like to ART
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Guess that's what happens when combine 'talking your book' with 'preaching to the choir'.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Isn’t all that gain basically just taking advantage of the MOASS cultists? Like, notice a move, meme out a vague picture of being interested, sell your shares is pretty much just pulling money from their pockets.

Of course, the cultists have agency too, but this still feels very … grifty?

• Options
    https://x.com/TychoBrahe/status/1798924681564840098

Tycho -
    I'm startled that someone would think it was a good idea to short GameStop again. I'm also not startled. But I'm a little bit startled, still. You know?

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited June 7
    https://x.com/TychoBrahe/status/1798924681564840098

Tycho -
    I'm startled that someone would think it was a good idea to short GameStop again. I'm also not startled. But I'm a little bit startled, still. You know?

Yes, absolutely, but on the other hand, GameStop just announced their net sales dropped 30% last quarter, nearly 10% more than analysts' already dire estimates, so if this were any other company on earth of course it'd make sense to be shorting them.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Gamestock is also down 20% so far today, which doesn't count the spike to nearly $60 in aftermarket trading when DFV posted his position; he is out millions of dollars on at least the new shares purchased at $46. Between the announcement and the share dilution even somd of the typically irrational GME buyers are probably seeing the writing on the wall.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    From what I'm reading, GameStop wasn't supposed to release their most recent earnings report until Tuesday, but they released it early (Friday morning). The earnings report wasn't good, with revenue falling 30% year over year, and they also announced plans to issue and sell new shares of the company to raise capital, diluting the value of existing shares. As a result, the stock went down a whopping 40% today.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    For a slightly different definition of "deep" value

• Options
    Marty81 wrote: »
    From what I'm reading, GameStop wasn't supposed to release their most recent earnings report until Tuesday, but they released it early (Friday morning). The earnings report wasn't good, with revenue falling 30% year over year, and they also announced plans to issue and sell new shares of the company to raise capital, diluting the value of existing shares. As a result, the stock went down a whopping 40% today.

It's worth mentioning that that loss mostly just wiped out gains from the day before, much of which happened in off hours trading (which normally is the domain of institutional investors/traders, not retail) and the stock is still up compared to a month ago. It already had been starting to go up after the company announced branching out into dealing with TCG card singles and other things nerds collect before DFV posted anything.

People are speculating that his livestream today was originally going to be be having people watch his share value make him into a billionaire (on paper anyway. Cashing out that much stock in one company can get complicated) in real time before the new shares altered that. Still, he has over $25 million in cash alone on eTrade so he's probably doing fine.

Mood in the communities is predictably mixed. Obviously anyone that bought during the highs got burned and some are crying conspiracy. Others are glad that DFV is still heavily invested and isn't pumping and dumping. And even people who are disappointed often agree that for the long term, this is a smart move on the part of GameStop: Adding cash to their war chest is certainly a good idea for a company that needs to find additional revenue streams.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Can someone explain why that's the case? Don't the ownership ratio and dividends for each individual share remain the same regardless of how much stock is released? Is this just another case of the financial system being somehow controlled by the sort of people who are too dumb to understand the difference between a stock and a commodity?

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    It's worth mentioning that that loss mostly just wiped out gains from the day before, much of which happened in off hours trading (which normally is the domain of institutional investors/traders, not retail) and the stock is still up compared to a month ago

The -40% is actually relative to the closing price yesterday, not the after-hours price surge yesterday. (It's -54% today relative to the after-hours peak yesterday.)

I don't disagree with anything else.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »

Can someone explain why that's the case? Don't the ownership ratio and dividends for each individual share remain the same regardless of how much stock is released? Is this just another case of the financial system being somehow controlled by the sort of people who are too dumb to understand the difference between a stock and a commodity?

Because the supply increased and the demand hasn't changed, so the value per unit is lower

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited June 7

No this is the company makes up new shares and sells them. Current owners see their fractional ownership get reduced

You're thinking splitting

Phyphor on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Splitting is what NVDA did today, where every share is now 10 shares and on Monday each share will be worth 1/10th what they did at closing today.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

No this is the company makes up new shares and sells them. Current owners see their fractional ownership get reduced

How does that work? Because that sounds like it's just transferring wealth from the stockholders to the company.

• Options
    asurasur Registered User regular

How does that work? Because that sounds like it's just transferring wealth from the stockholders to the company.

It's not. The company creates the shares and sells them at market price which simplistically means that your ownership is diluted but the value is approximately equivalent. The big question then becomes what does the company do with the cash it raised which the company will state. Investor response to the companies plan determines whether the share price rises or falls.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 8

The trick is that the "true" or "long term" value of a company is the sum of net present value of long term profit and current asset values. And the long term share price is the value of this divided by the number of shares.

So if the company has stock price of 40, makes new shares and sells them for 40 then the value of the company increases exactly the same as the shares. Old share price was value/shares = 40 and the new share price is value+40n/shares+n = 40.

The reason the stock price fell for GME is because a lot of people are betting on a short squeeze. So if the company itself is raising money by selling shares this reduces the probability a squeeze can work since there are now more shares in the open. That is, people actually think the company is overvalued.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited June 8

This is, in fact, the entire point of the stock market.

Companies want more money to help operations, instead of taking loans they decide to sell shares of ownership in the company.

The company gets money it thinks it needs and loses some amount of control of the company in the process.

That's what stocks are.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    lttp on this entire thread but as someone that worked at EB Games in 2003 in college, this has been a fucking Journey.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited June 8
    It's worth mentioning that that loss mostly just wiped out gains from the day before, much of which happened in off hours trading (which normally is the domain of institutional investors/traders, not retail) and the stock is still up compared to a month ago

The -40% is actually relative to the closing price yesterday, not the after-hours price surge yesterday. (It's -54% today relative to the after-hours peak yesterday.)

I don't disagree with anything else.

I think Steel was saying that even with all those losses from the volatility you pointed out, it's still up on the week. Basically weird increasing price action on no news, the Q1 report came out early, GME announced they're selling 75m more shares, the RK stream happened, and GME is still where it was on Monday.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Based on the research I've done it sounds like that's exactly it, but it's okay because it's theoretically done with the knowledge and consent of the existing stockholders? They're expected to know going in that any particular company may devalue their stake at any time, and that if they don't want to happen they'll need to pool their current stakes to block it.