As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Police Brutality] "Nobody is doing that" Edition

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    If the cops have to come get him does that mean mr mypillow loses the entire $2mil or do you get that back at trial regardless of how you got there

iirc, if you violate your bail, you lose your bond.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    If the cops have to come get him does that mean mr mypillow loses the entire $2mil or do you get that back at trial regardless of how you got there

iirc, if you violate your bail, you lose your bond.

Yup. Though it does depend on timing a little. It's rarely on the first occurance, though you don't want to noshow court appearances unless you're rich and white. Court takes a dim view on that.

That's why bail bondsmen use bounty hunters and shit. If they can force you to appear, before the last opportunity to do so, they get their bond back.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Police union head defends the indefensible:

“He made a decision there that he thought was the best action to take. It resulted in no injury to her."

— Rochester police union president Mike Mazzeo on the officer who pepper-sprayed a 9-year-old girl
    The author is the Rochester local paper.

Anyone got any information on the seal in the background?

Cause if that's not a generic government thing, and is law enforcement specific, it seems like 2020 isn't done with it's hack writing.

Locust Club representing a swarm of loud pests that devastates communities, and are a plague on society?

Yeah, that's a little too on the nose.

It is literally the name of the blatantly corrupt police union here.

I don't know the story behind origin of the name, but I would guess that the club members are equally as aware of the name's implications.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCcoOqpkdaY

A Georgia police chief and an officer have been ousted after bodycam footage revealed them making misogynistic, racist comments about slavery and using racial slurs.

Hamilton city Police Chief Gene Allmond and Officer John Brooks criticized BLM protests and made disturbing comments about Stacey Abrams.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Senator John Cornyn (R-TX)
    My amendment to #BackTheBlue and defend, not defund, the police passed the Senate overwhelmingly tonight by vote of 100-0

So, you are choosing for the protests to continue.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    100-0 huh

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    What was the amendment?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Does the amendment actually do anything

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    https://trackbill.com/bill/us-congress-senate-bill-1480-back-the-blue-act-of-2019/1749940/

This is a version of his 'Back the Blue' amendment that he put forth in 2019-2020, but I'm not sure if the 2021 version is different, or in what ways

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    So that makes assaulting a cop a federal offense and looks like it allows federal prosecutors to charge vs. state level prosecutors? Am I reading that right?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    https://www.congress.gov/amendment/117th-congress/senate-amendment/558

the text isn't posted yet

The abstract is "To establish a deficit-neutral fund relating to funding the police." which doesn't sound like that last one he did.

I dunno I'm guessing with a 100-0 vote it both doesn't do much at all, and/or is also expected to be stripped when they squash the house and senate bills together

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So that makes assaulting a cop a federal offense and looks like it allows federal prosecutors to charge vs. state level prosecutors? Am I reading that right?

I mean, I'm fairly sure that exceeds the scope of Congress's authority, but I'm also fairly sure a judge would just say it's commerce and okay it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    If it's a ceremonial "oh we love cops" proclamation, that explains the 100 in the Senate. In the House it won't be unanimous since there are some level-headed leftists in there who realize cops can be bad too.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Most of the GOP stuff during the vote a rama is going to be pointless, misleading stuff meant only for campaign fodder. It's best ignored.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Most of the GOP stuff during the vote a rama is going to be pointless, misleading stuff meant only for campaign fodder. It's best ignored.
    Well I dunno about ignoring it. Like at face value, I fucking hate that Democrats voted "yes" to a pro-cop thing. That does matter for political messaging and it's going to backfire if they ever take measures to rein in abuses by cops, because the GOP will have the double-benefit for campaign fodder of going, "OH LOOK, they SAID they love cops but now they're doing THIS!" etc.

I know the GOP is sneaky with amendment and bill names though. Best example is John McCain's "Internet Freedom Act" from over a decade ago that was trying to kill net neutrality.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Meanwhile in Phoenix
    https://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/investigations/protest-arrests/politically-charged-officials-create-fictional-gang-to-punish-phoenix-protesters

Prosecutors are throwing bullshit charge after bullshit charge at protesters, including being in the "acab gang"

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Police union head defends the indefensible:

“He made a decision there that he thought was the best action to take. It resulted in no injury to her."

— Rochester police union president Mike Mazzeo on the officer who pepper-sprayed a 9-year-old girl
    The author is the Rochester local paper.

Anyone got any information on the seal in the background?

Cause if that's not a generic government thing, and is law enforcement specific, it seems like 2020 isn't done with it's hack writing.

Locust Club representing a swarm of loud pests that devastates communities, and are a plague on society?

Yeah, that's a little too on the nose.

It is literally the name of the blatantly corrupt police union here.

I don't know the story behind origin of the name, but I would guess that the club members are equally as aware of the name's implications.

They chose the name because Rochester police nightsticks were made out of locust wood.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Meanwhile in Phoenix
    https://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/investigations/protest-arrests/politically-charged-officials-create-fictional-gang-to-punish-phoenix-protesters

Prosecutors are throwing bullshit charge after bullshit charge at protesters, including being in the "acab gang"

Absolutely fucking despicable

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i can't wait for my local department to get one of these

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

What the fuck is this shit? Real statistics from people with no budget- or power-based reason to manipulate them?

You can't do that, the public might learn useful things instead of being terrified!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

For those who can't see it (I had to wait until I got home, cause clicking on blind links on my phone is noooope), the link is...

https://denverite.com/2021/02/02/in-the-first-six-months-of-health-care-professionals-replacing-police-officers-no-one-they-encountered-was-arrested/?fbclid=IwAR0bpn4mHTuiZoDW5LvwYgYMLeLiZaaLW5IysMQxXXPVo0sCnjNFnkYgy98
    "In the first six months of health care professionals replacing police officers, no one they encountered was arrested
    DPD Chief Pazen, who is fond of the STAR program, says it frees up officers to do their jobs: fight crime."

That sending trained paramedics and mental health clinicians to non-violent low risk situations, instead of armed officers trained to deescalate by cracking skulls, has a generally better outcome (as long as cracking skulls is considered a bad outcome, for LEO, YMMV).

I mean, it's a "no duh" policy, and I'm glad it's being implemented, but you know conservatives will sieze on the first time something goes pear shaped (either they're assaulted, or the person in question is released and goes on to do something severe) as a reason to send in the jackboots. But that's no reason not to do it. If we stopped doing anything that conservatives would argue in bad faith, wouldn't be doing anything.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2021/02/06/milwaukee-officer-suspended-45-days-downtown-july-altercation/4423320001/

Early this summer, a police officer was drinking off duty at a bar. A BLM protest came by, his companion started yelling at the protestors and threw a beer at them. Some photographers started taking pictures of the two of them so the pig assaulted them, broke one's camera and gave the other a concussion.
    Their attorney, along with other witnesses, also accused the on-duty officers, who responded to the incident, of trying to protect Willmann by downplaying the altercation.

Willmann was not arrested after the incident. Lux and Kafer received citations for disorderly conduct, but they were later voided by the Police Department.

The department then initiated an internal investigation examining the actions of everyone involved. In July, it released a statement, saying in part, “The Milwaukee Police Department holds our members to the highest level of integrity. Any suggestion that MPD unfairly protects its members is a myth.”

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has filed multiple open records requests for files relating to both the incident and the internal investigation. But the department denied those requests as recently as Feb. 1, citing an open investigation.

Willmann has not been criminally charged in connection to the incident as of Saturday, according to online court records.

His suspension was handed down in late November by then-Acting Chief Michael Brunson Sr., according to city documents. Willmann did not begin serving the segmented punishment until Jan. 17.

HAHAHAHA

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile in Phoenix

What colors should we wear in that gang?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Has the show Blue Bloods ever come up in one of these threads before? Because though I don't watch it myself, my dad does, and sometimes I catch bits and pieces of it. What I saw and overheard today while he was watching the newest episode today made me curious enough to Google details about the episode, "The New Normal", which involves a cop being investigated for NOT shooting someone and a social worker ride along program being derided by one character as "woke nonsense":
    ...on Blue Bloods Season 11 Episode 6, Danny found himself in the hot seat when he chose NOT to shoot at a perp with a gun.

Wendell: "How could you let him go? I heard you were a cop's cop but I guess I heard wrong."
    Danny: "No, you haven't. We've got his address so we'll get him. But not for nothing, you escalated the situation when you drew your weapon."
    Wendell: "He assaulted me and stole my weapon. And you let him go. That's what happened."

Officer Wendell filed a complaint because he was angry that Danny thought that whether or not a perp presented an immediate threat was as important as whether he attacked a cop. Because of that complaint, IAB was in the unenviable position of questioning Danny about ulterior motives for NOT shooting.

IAB probed to find out whether Danny was afraid of being attacked by bystanders, whether he was trying to avoid the hassle of being investigated for a clean shoot, and whether he failed to do his job so that he wouldn't be accused of excessive force.

IAB managed never to bring up the obvious elephant in the room. Pratt was Black. Danny was white. If he did choose not to shoot for any reason other than thinking it was unnecessary, it would have been because white cops shooting Black suspects has sparked mass protests and a lot of tension between cops and civilians. Intentionally or not, IAB's response to Danny made it seem like they wanted to punish him for NOT being the kind of cop that shoots Black suspects on sight.

In the end, it all worked out. Pratt turned out not to be guilty of murder, turned himself in, and thanked Danny for saving his life.

The additional wrinkle of Danny's perp being suspected of murder irritated me. It was unnecessary and irrelevant. Whether or not Pratt murdered someone later had nothing to do with whether he was a threat to Danny's life at the moment that Danny chose not to shoot him. But if Pratt had been the murderer, it would have implied that Danny should have seen that coming and shot him even if he was non-threatening during their encounter.

---

Finally, Jamie's department got a social worker riding along!

I was surprised that Claire had no practical experience with working with police before her ride-along. When I was in social work school, I worked in the courts, but some of my classmates worked directly with the NYPD or at Rikers' Island. So I thought that if Claire wanted to go into this field, she likely would have had an internship in this area before she graduated.

But the bigger issue, at least for me, was Jamie's attitude. Jamie dismissed the program as "woke" nonsense that would cause problems in the department.

Amazingly, one of the comments on this review ranted about how "woke" Blue Bloods is now and that they'll stop watching rather than subject themselves to "social engineering".

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Oh yes we have gone in depth on Blue Bloods and other racist / pro-brutality propaganda in past threads.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Blue Bloods entire angle is that The Authority is just and any presented failings will be corrected by The Authority.

The male patriarch, Republican politicians, the police officer - the Authority does it all for your own good.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Blue Bloods entire angle is that The Authority is just and any presented failings will be corrected by The Authority.

The male patriarch, Republican politicians, the police officer - the Authority does it all for your own good.

Basically, CBS has a problem with copaganda through their lineup. It's why their Equalizer reboot feels like a departure from that, especially with some of the framing being used.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Meanwhile in Phoenix

The opposite color of blue is yellow or orange. So one of those is my suggestion.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Meanwhile in Phoenix

The opposite color of blue is yellow or orange. So one of those is my suggestion.

Cops also wear yellow, though.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular

Basically, CBS has a problem with copaganda through their lineup. It's why their Equalizer reboot feels like a departure from that, especially with some of the framing being used.

I've defended the NCIS shows in the past as being surprisingly progressive for what they are...but the copaganda just looks worse by comparison when it rears its head. It's hardly at the level of what I've heard Blue Bloods or Chicago PD is at, or shows like L&O:SVU where watching cops abuse perverts--whether they're criminals or not--is like the whole draw of the show, but it still sucks.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Watched the new Equalizer with parents and yeah it seemed pretty good in regards to acknowledging how stacked the deck is against minorities. Also cracked a grin when a couple cops got tear gassed and clocked.

Of course then parents followed up with Brooklyn 99 and boy the comedy in that is really soured when the antics of those police are not far removed from reality.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvxb94/is-this-beverly-hills-cop-playing-sublimes-santeria-to-avoid-being-livestreamed

Police have begun playing copyrighted music during interactions with civilians in hopes that the streams are taken down by social media platforms.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvxb94/is-this-beverly-hills-cop-playing-sublimes-santeria-to-avoid-being-livestreamed

Police have begun playing copyrighted music during interactions with civilians in hopes that the streams are taken down by social media platforms.

Yup. Because they don’t see their behavior as the problem, it's the recording that's the problem.

And that mentality is the problem.

Kinda fucked that the conservative mantra about cop search and surveillance, "if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear" doesn't apply to law enforcement scrutiny.

"Oh, but they might catch something out of context!". Yeah? You've got body/car cameras that can prove differently if that's the case.

Fact is, enough of your "brothers in blue" have fucked up enough you no longer deserve the benefit of doubt, given the authority and power granted to you by the State, and should be held to a higher standard. Fucking hate it? Fucking quit.

• Options

Doesn't this open police departments to lawsuits by rights holders? I mean, that's my hope.

In the meanwhile, ACAB.

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Doesn't this open police departments to lawsuits by rights holders? I mean, that's my hope.

Yeah, I can't see the corporate rights holders going after the police on this.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

In the meanwhile, ACAB.

Yeah I was just about to mention that the rightsholders can arguably go after the cop for putting on an unlicensed public performance. Public performance licensing requirements are actually pretty strict, but largely unenforced at the very small local level. If I recall though, the band that performed it usually doesn't have the rights to assert public performance rights, it would largely be holding entities that enforce that such as (ASCAP, SESAC, BMI, etc.)

• Options
    Our only 'hope' is the cops blasting some Disney owned song while they're openly beating people, regardless of context. The owner of copyright itself would have to get involved.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »

Yeah, I can't see the corporate rights holders going after the police on this.

It's not the copyright holders that you are worrying about. It's the copyrighted material detection algorithms and the lazy takedown policies of social media and steaming and video hosting and the like sites. They just want the video or stream to get flagged and then immediately get taken down and then the person who uploaded it or is streaming it has to fight just to get it seen. Or, in the case of streaming, just nothing gets seen.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    "You're under arrest - but first, please hold this iPad broadcasting Major League Baseball without express written consent of the league"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
This discussion has been closed.