As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Police Brutality] "Nobody is doing that" Edition

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »
    I guess the theoretical difference is that rendering aid in certain law enforcement situations could mean risking your own life

So does medicine in many situations..

I don't think medicine relies on liability to enforce putting medical professionals at risk, and people who do so basically voluntarily assume the risk.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    I guess the theoretical difference is that rendering aid in certain law enforcement situations could mean risking your own life

So could rendering aid in a firefighting situation. But you don't see firefighters getting judges to rule they have no requirements to go into the burning building to save you.

Cops should be like firefighters. If you aren't willing to risk yourself, don't take the job.

I would be very surprised if there was a legal requirement for firefighters to go into a burning building to render aid. There's just no way to make that law enforceable without requiring firefighters to commit suicide sometimes.

I think the legal arena is a terrible place to adjudicate police malfeasance. There's too much nuance required, especially against the backdrop of normal legal proceedings which are supposed to be a lot more regimented, and a fair amount biased towards finding people not guilty (innocent until proven guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt, etc).

There are lots of cases where for sure the police involved should receive legal repercussions, and that can and should happen without any laws enforcing a "duty to act".

But the main relief for lower level police malfeasance (like police refusing to respond to calls in a black neighborhood or something), should be community oversight. The people involved should be fired, or the precinct fined, until the community appointees are satisfied that changes are being made. And a lot of it should be subjective. Like I can't say for sure what office X was thinking in the moment, but I actually don't care. The outcome wasn't what we (the community) wanted. Action should be taken (not always discipline for that specific officer, sometimes it should just be the precinct fined or something).

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

So could rendering aid in a firefighting situation. But you don't see firefighters getting judges to rule they have no requirements to go into the burning building to save you.

Cops should be like firefighters. If you aren't willing to risk yourself, don't take the job.

Only because it's well settled that we're not obligated to do so.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Chauvin trial proceeds.

Big witness today was an off-duty firefighter and EMT. She gave approximately zero fucks about the defense's framing.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

They can even refuse to put out fires if the person hasn't paid in some jurisdictions

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

They can even refuse to put out fires if the person hasn't paid in some jurisdictions

That's places with private fire fighters or without their own fire departments, though, right?

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Chauvin trial proceeds.

Big witness today was an off-duty firefighter and EMT. She gave approximately zero fucks about the defense's framing.

That was the judge objecting in the second video? That is very unusual in my limited experience in court. Not a good look under the circumstances.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Chauvin trial proceeds.

That was the judge objecting in the second video? That is very unusual in my limited experience in court. Not a good look under the circumstances.

Witness hostility.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Chauvin trial proceeds.

Witness hostility.

Is that a common thing the judge objects to is my question. I can't say I am overly cooperative when being questioned (who is?), but maybe I have never crossed a specific line.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Chauvin trial proceeds.

Yeah that was the judge. He dismissed the jury for the day and admonished the witness afterwards.

Sorta, you know, think he's in the tank.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Chauvin trial proceeds.

Witness hostility.

Is that a common thing the judge objects to is my question. I can't say I am overly cooperative when being questioned (who is?), but maybe I have never crossed a specific line.

Witnesses are not supposed to inject personal opinion or snark into their testimony, so if something crosses the line, usually it gets objected to. Here, the judge felt it obviously crossed the line, and warned the witness before the defense could object, which the defense said they were going to.

• Options
    Chauvin trial proceeds.

Witness hostility.

Witnesses are not supposed to inject personal opinion or snark into their testimony, so if something crosses the line, usually it gets objected to. Here, the judge felt it obviously crossed the line, and warned the witness before the defense could object, which the defense said they were going to.

I understand the very basics of testifying in court. I have done it many times. I am scheduled to do it again in the not so distant future. My question is about how common it is for the judge to object for either side. I have never seen it happen even in obvious cases. I have seen a judge sustain mid sentence to an objection, but never object themselves.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »

That's places with private fire fighters or without their own fire departments, though, right?
    Sort of. It was municiple fire fighters, but the county didn't want to have their own fire department so city offers the rural residence fire fighter service for $75 a year, and someone who didn't pay called the fire department, and they showed up and didn't put out the fire. They turned on the hoses when the fire got too close to a neighbor who did pay the $75.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna39516346

"Insurance is going to pay for what money I had on the policy, looks like. But like everything else, I didn't have enough."

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Most others have covered the cases where that has famously happened but I'll just add:

- That set up is thankfully super uncommon

- The whole thing goes out the window when human life is in jeopardy I believe, but reverts back once that matter is settled

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    watching the trial still
    holy shit i dont know if these have been made public yet but the body cam videos are now being shown in their entirety back to back to back and they are straight up horrifying
    even worse than the cellphone videos
    in any sane world they ought to be damning on their own

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Chauvin trial proceeds.

Witness hostility.

I understand the very basics of testifying in court. I have done it many times. I am scheduled to do it again in the not so distant future. My question is about how common it is for the judge to object for either side. I have never seen it happen even in obvious cases. I have seen a judge sustain mid sentence to an objection, but never object themselves.

Judges get a lot of leeway how their court is run. So it depends on the judge.

On a case like this, I imagine the judge is already sensitive about court behavior.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Turns out that ghost skins are not a solely American problem:
    A man has become the first serving British police officer to be convicted of a terrorism offence after he was found guilty of membership of a banned neo-Nazi group.

Ben Hannam had been working as a probationary officer for the Metropolitan police for nearly two years before his details were found on a leaked database of users of an extreme rightwing forum.

The 22-year-old was found guilty on Thursday at the Old Bailey in London of membership of the terrorism group National Action (NA), which was banned in December 2016.

He was also convicted of lying on his application and vetting forms to join the Met and of having terrorism material detailing knife combat and making explosive devices.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Wow, no freedom of association in the UK huh? Didn't know that.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

This is a weird conclusion to take from this.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

Breonna Taylor was killed by cops whose reasoning for a no knock entry on her apartment was that someone she was associated with was maybe a drug dealer.

Considering the last few years, no American has any leg to stand on when it comes to criticizing another nation's rights and freedoms.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Breonna Taylor was killed by cops whose reasoning for a no knock entry on her apartment was that someone she was associated with was maybe a drug dealer.

Considering the last few years, no American has any leg to stand on when it comes to criticizing another nation's rights and freedoms.

That'd be hypocritical where every American ok with what the government, and their police forces, do, but you won't find that here. It's also not like police brutality is solely an American problem when that's incorrect. This is something of an issue in police forces worldwide, that's why Black Lives matter is a global movement.

• Options

That'd be hypocritical where every American ok with what the government, and their police forces, do, but you won't find that here. It's also not like police brutality is solely an American problem when that's incorrect. This is something of an issue in police forces worldwide, that's why Black Lives matter is a global movement.

America imprisons more of it's population than any other country, yet I keep seeing shit like the above, about how much better America is because of your guaranteed rights.

What utter horseshit. Yeah, we deal with the same problems, so the umbrage in my reply was entirely appropriate.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

America imprisons more of it's population than any other country, yet I keep seeing shit like the above, about how much better America is because of your guaranteed rights.

What utter horseshit. Yeah, we deal with the same problems, so the umbrage in my reply was entirely appropriate.

This is an incredible over reaction to what I read. It was hardly an America, fuck yeah response.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Freedom of association does not mean freedom from the consequences of who and what you choose to associate with. You associate with Nazis, then the consequence is that you are barred from holding any position of power in government. Like the police.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Freedom of association does not mean freedom from the consequences of who and what you choose to associate with. You associate with Nazis, then the consequence is that you are barred from holding any position of power in government. Like the police.

Right but the consequences are that he was criminally prosecuted for his association with that group. Just makes me a little uncomfortable because I could see the government just as easily prosecuting someone because they're a member of Amnesty International, or some other "good" group.

But like I said, I'm an American so I often take our first amendment for granted.

(And yes, it was abhorrent what happened to Breonna Taylor, and a violation of her right to association among many other things. Why are you all trying to make a straw man out of me?)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I'm really not.

The rights you 'take for granted' are the same illusion the rest of us have. Police routinely violate them and are lauded for it, which means they don't exist.

Your surprise that the UK doesn't have a guaranteed right to freedom of association is no less surprising for me than you believing yours carries any weight whatsoever.

We can fight to hold the police in our respective nations accountable via movements like BLM, but it's those movements that make the rights real. Not some paper written 250 years ago. And certainly not the government that grinds that paper beneath the bootheel of a police state.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The right to not have fascist police is quite an important right.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

Right but the consequences are that he was criminally prosecuted for his association with that group. Just makes me a little uncomfortable because I could see the government just as easily prosecuting someone because they're a member of Amnesty International, or some other "good" group.

But like I said, I'm an American so I often take our first amendment for granted.

(And yes, it was abhorrent what happened to Breonna Taylor, and a violation of her right to association among many other things. Why are you all trying to make a straw man out of me?)

Hm. Yea, that's a little less cut and dry. Given the worldwide rise of right wing terrorism, I'm inclined to say "fuck Nazis forever in all the ways" but prosecution for membership alone makes me uncomfortable. I'd have really explore the weeds of UK law and the specifics of this case to make a confident opinion.

The part that is cut and dry is he lied in his application. At the very least he deserves to be fired for that.

• Options
    edited April 2021

Yes, and he can be fired and barred from ever working as a police officer ever again to achieve that goal. But he wasn't just fired. He's going to prison for it.

And Nova, yes governments violate people's rights all the time and nothing is done about it so your conclusion is that we shouldn't even bother having codified rights in the first place? I don't get what you're criticising me of here. Are you suggesting I think Breonna deserved what she got? Because that's a straw man and a total non sequitur with what happened in that article.

Edit: am I missing something from that article? It says he was found guilty, so I'm assuming that means prison time, and not just merely being dismissed from his job.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    In America you would be prosecuted if you were a member of ISIS or Al Qaeda or other terrorist organizations too.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    In America you would be prosecuted if you were a member of ISIS or Al Qaeda or other terrorist organizations too.

Yeah the only real difference here is that the UK is able to recognize that white supremacist organizations are terrorists and considers knife fighting instructions a dangerous thing on par with bomb building instructions.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Edit: He was prosecuted for lying on his application and more ok

Captain Inertia on
  • Options

This is news to me, can you cite where someone was prosecuted for their association alone and not some other crime? I can't find anything with a quick Google search...

• Options

Yes, and he can be fired and barred from ever working as a police officer ever again to achieve that goal. But he wasn't just fired. He's going to prison for it.

And Nova, yes governments violate people's rights all the time and nothing is done about it so your conclusion is that we shouldn't even bother having codified rights in the first place? I don't get what you're criticising me of here. Are you suggesting I think Breonna deserved what she got? Because that's a straw man and a total non sequitur with what happened in that article.

I'm criticizing this post, because I can easily replace the "UK" with "US" and it still applies, so I guess, if you didn't mean this to be dripping the contempt that it seems to be, what even are you trying to say or do with this? Because as far as I can tell, you're dunking on the UK for not having a right that you seem to believe you have. You don't.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Whoops

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    edited April 2021

That's not what the article says. It says:

"[H]e was found guilty of membership of a banned neo-Nazi group."

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

That's not what the article says. It says:

"[H]e was found guilty of membership of a banned neo-Nazi group."

Yep I was mistaken

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

This is news to me, can you cite where someone was prosecuted for their association alone and not some other crime? I can't find anything with a quick Google search...

They would get him on material support of terrorism for the bomb-making books at the very least. I dunno if simple membership qualifies but likely could be stretched in a case like this.

• Options

I'm criticizing this post, because I can easily replace the "UK" with "US" and it still applies, so I guess, if you didn't mean this to be dripping the contempt that it seems to be, what even are you trying to say or do with this? Because as far as I can tell, you're dunking on the UK for not having a right that you seem to believe you have. You don't.

Yikes, sorry, I didn't mean it to have a contemptuous tone. I was just surprised and a little alarmed by it. I know our rights are as only safe as the paper they're written on. It's depressing.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    From the article:
    The 22-year-old was found guilty on Thursday at the Old Bailey in London of membership of the terrorism group National Action (NA), which was banned in December 2016.

He was also convicted of lying on his application and vetting forms to join the Met and of having terrorism material detailing knife combat and making explosive devices.

The article also states that the National Action is the only far-right group proscribed as a terrorist organization by the government in this way, and it was done in response to their celebration of the murder of an MP in 2016.

Which, while it's kind of galling that it's the only far-right organization designated as a terrorist org by the UK, we have to remember that here in the good ol' US of A we have yet to even designate the KKK as a terrorist group.

I wonder how many other officers are members of this far-right organization, since the press was apparently not allowed to report on this until now.
    A ban on reporting the case was lifted after Hannam admitted possessing an indecent image of a child, which was to have been the subject of a separate trial.

This discussion has been closed.