As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Legend of Keepers, Insurmountable and Clan O'Conall out today!

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

For the record, ritual cannibalism as part of funeral rites isn't unheard of. Everything else, though... yeesh.

Anyway that video is hilarious and I love the art style :biggrin:

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Anyone played children of morta? How heavy is the roguelike structure? Cos I’m not really in the mood for like something super dependent on grinding but I like the opening

Like the first quest I started I died and I was like come on

Prohass on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I played a little of it and didn't really enjoy it. The gameplay wasn't good enough to warrant replaying the first level over and over. It kinda just felt like a more simplistic Diablo.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah it wasn’t really my thing but if it had been just like a straightforward game without rogue like elements I probably would’ve played through it, but there’s too many other games out to push on for me I think

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I always read opinions about Stranger in Strange Land being one of the best classic science fiction novels.

Why did no one ever tell me before that it is batshit insane? Was it all an elaborate joke?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah it won all kinds of awards I thought. I considered reading it but didn't

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I played a little of it and didn't really enjoy it. The gameplay wasn't good enough to warrant replaying the first level over and over. It kinda just felt like a more simplistic Diablo.

Also the mechanic that makes the family member you're playing as sick after a few runs forcing them to stay home and recover while you play as someone else. It meant I couldn't be archer daughter and so I stopped playing because everyone else sucks.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSVYX1FLMGQ

NEO The World Ends With You comes to the Epic store this summer, July 21st on console

• Options

finally watched this

Man, this book sounds like it sucks!

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSVYX1FLMGQ

NEO The World Ends With You comes to the Epic store this summer, July 21st on console
    Bum, someone remind me when it's out of EGS jail.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    There are people rhat really enjoy Morta, but I too feel it was a bit sluggish. Because of the roguelike structure health is at a premium so I was kiting a lot.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I love it when an April Fool's joke is real

(David Szymanski is the developer of DUSK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gWOXiLjgdY

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    it's crazy to me I haven't even heard of Age of Decadence before this thread

would people who have played it recommend I cheat to make my character's combat skills maxed out? I understand combat is generally considered the most difficult and frustrating part of the game and a general impediment to engaging with the setting

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    gonna post this

https://yo utu.be/3jAkplrZci0

finally watched this

this perspective bugs me a little. It's not wrong -- Stranger in a Strange Land is problematic (at best) -- but the framework and vocabulary we use to criticize the story are the result of an on-going (60 years, so far) discourse that was essentially started (or at least popularized) by the text.

The story was progressive and influential enough to be directly (not solely) responsible for the world in which the story sucks.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I don't remember engaging with the combat system at all when I played Age of Decadence.

I played a simpering and dangerous little merchant.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Anyone played children of morta? How heavy is the roguelike structure? Cos I’m not really in the mood for like something super dependent on grinding but I like the opening

I quite liked Morta - it's really not that much of a roguelite, the structure is more akin to Diablo 1, where dungeons are lightly randomized in structure, and the game requires you to do a full clear of an act before progressing to the next area.

It never really gets more than medium-challenging once you get your characters leveled up a bit, and the variety really starts coming in more when you have most of the family unlocked (the game intends for you to switch between family memebers pretty frequently between runs).

But if you just don't like the "feel" of the game once you get a few of the speed/ranged characters unlocked then its probably not going to be your thing, since you really can't modify their archtypes all that much.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

would people who have played it recommend I cheat to make my character's combat skills maxed out? I understand combat is generally considered the most difficult and frustrating part of the game and a general impediment to engaging with the setting

I'd give it a shot first. I think part of the frustrating combat was to encourage people who aren't playing combat characters to avoid getting in fights, if possible. And it is a game where you can do that a lot.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Yeah I thought Morta was frikkin' amazing. It has the absolute best pixel art in any game ever too.

• Options
    So Cozy Grove is real weird. It's trying to be Animal Crossing, in that there's literally nothing to do after a short while of playing so you need to wait until the next real-time day and the only real gameplay stuff I can see right now is hidden picture stuff. You just scan all over the admittedly pretty but cluttered landscape looking for things you can pick up. Also fishing.

So still way too early for me to have a solid opinion on.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

Also the mechanic that makes the family member you're playing as sick after a few runs forcing them to stay home and recover while you play as someone else. It meant I couldn't be archer daughter and so I stopped playing because everyone else sucks.

archer was the mom. daughter was the fire mage and she was awesome. knives brother was cool too so how dare you?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So Cozy Grove is real weird. It's trying to be Animal Crossing, in that there's literally nothing to do after a short while of playing so you need to wait until the next real-time day and the only real gameplay stuff I can see right now is hidden picture stuff. You just scan all over the admittedly pretty but cluttered landscape looking for things you can pick up. Also fishing.

So still way too early for me to have a solid opinion on.

yeah I picked it up too and maybe I should have read more reviews. I was expecting based on the description Harvest Moon (for souls) with a touch of Animal Crossing but instead got Animal Crossing (for needy souls) with .... hopefully some Harvest Moon.

also, all these souls need to downsize their crap, my god

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

This mechanic kind of helped me, in at least 1 point. I was swapping between archer girl and rogue boy because I liked them and was having trouble getting TO a certain boss, let alone beating it. I figured “fine, I’ll let sword/shield dad have a run at it” and whoops, I slaughtered the boss on his first try.

But I see your point in that it is a game that rewards switching between characters, which may not be something the player wants to do.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »

This mechanic kind of helped me, in at least 1 point. I was swapping between archer girl and rogue boy because I liked them and was having trouble getting TO a certain boss, let alone beating it. I figured “fine, I’ll let sword/shield dad have a run at it” and whoops, I slaughtered the boss on his first try.

But I see your point in that it is a game that rewards switching between characters, which may not be something the player wants to do.

It's less that it rewards switching and more that it punishes not switching. Since the archer daughter was the only one I could really accomplish anything with it was pretty annoying. I really liked a lot of stuff about the game but I could rarely ever get half as far on a different character so playing them felt like just wasting time until I got to be good again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

archer was the mom. daughter was the fire mage and she was awesome. knives brother was cool too so how dare you?

Archer was the older daughter I'm pretty sure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

well i'll be jiggered

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

well i'll be jiggered

filled full of gin?

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

well i'll be jiggered

filled full of gin?

filled full of jig

*dances like there's no one watching*

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

The lore is “Family with inherited powers”, so the mom is outside the dynamic due to them not also being an inbred cult.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I'd give it a shot first. I think part of the frustrating combat was to encourage people who aren't playing combat characters to avoid getting in fights, if possible. And it is a game where you can do that a lot.

Yeah, going with one of the non-combat classes to start is a good idea (I was especially fond of the Merchant) - lets you see a lot of the world, get a feel for what you might be doing as other classes before diving into them. I know Merchant and I think Loremaster can complete the whole game without ever killing anybody. Then maybe dabble with combat and see if it grabs you enough to learn the intricacies. If it doesn't, fuck those stats right up.

I will say that the game is particularly unkind to dabblers. You're meant to pick a style and specialize, and jack-of-all-trades types will absolutely get their teeth kicked in.
    Prohass wrote: »

I found it to be a really satisfying podcast game. Largely mindless gameplay that slowly reveals some fun combos, real pretty to look at. And I liked the bite-sized little story bits you get every so often.

Didn't blow my socks off, but it filled a need.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

well i'll be jiggered

filled full of gin?

filled full of jig

*dances like there's no one watching*

Now love like you’ve never been hurt.

• Options
    mom takes over the
    Brolo wrote: »
    y'all like paths, right?

and like... who isn't a big fan of being exiled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCDIBA2Icls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjhiiuDeyTo

ah, the timing makes sense now

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    heinlein was a weird guy with barely-coherent politics

he hated authoritarians and loved the potential of humanity, hence, Stranger in a Strange Land, but also fancied himself a practical, results-oriented guy who loved the military, and so, Starship Troopers

this is the actual truth of the matter but knowing it requires reading books which, let's be honest, is unfair to expect of people holding forth fervent opinions on the internet

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

finally watched this

it is not good!

it's really weirdly childish. the bad men from the government want to tax our sex cult - not even ban it iirc - so let's erase them from existence because that's more humane???

when I was a teen on usenet I hung out in a place that had a lot of older dudes on it who were an active part of the sci-fi community and a couple of them had (I mean, supposedly, this was the internet in ~1996) known Heinlein in person back in the day and he had apparently had a minor stroke in the late 1950s that klnd of scrambled his personality a bit

certainly it marks the demarcation between his entertaining readable stuff like Citizen of the Galaxy or Double Star versus his bizzare manifestos about how communism is bad/redheads are good

Stranger in a Strange Land is very much the latter and the only reason it's popular is because young boomers heard "sex cult" and were like SOLD

• Options
    edited April 2021

The lore is “Family with inherited powers”, so the mom is outside the dynamic due to them not also being an inbred cult.

The mom sits at home being pregnant all day.

E: Sorry, that was flippant. It's not all she does.
    Later she gets kidnapped and you have to rescue her.

Aistan on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    mom takes over the
    y'all like paths, right?

Will it be as awesome as the war craft 3 remaster?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    mom takes over the
    y'all like paths, right?

Will it be as awesome as the war craft 3 remaster?

it seems to be pretty good, actually

if you want to play a HD/3D diablo 2, that is

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    It actually looks better than Diablo 3. I mean that's not saying much because Diablo 3 aged like bread, but still it's very impressive looking.

• Options

Yikes

• Options

Yikes
    Grandma dies in order to save her.

It does get slightly better in that after that the mom takes over grandma's role as the magic wielder/channeler/teacher, but that role still keeps her at home the whole time.

Also note that this was me reading the plot summary after I gave up because I still wanted to see what happens. I don't know how the events are portrayed cinematically ingame.

• Options

Yikes
    Grandma dies in order to save her.

It does get slightly better in that after that the mom takes over grandma's role as the magic wielder/channeler/teacher, but that role still keeps her at home the whole time.

Also note that this was me reading the plot summary after I gave up because I still wanted to see what happens. I don't know how the events are portrayed cinematically ingame.

nah that's pretty accurate, but yeah she fills another role after that

the other three female playable characters are pretty cool though and the narrative of the story generally splits agency pretty evenly between them

This discussion has been closed.