As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Summer Sale: Don't look here, look over there!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Hey you get to fight a naked, dongless, Sephiroth analog very early on!

Can’t tell whether this is being presented as a positive or a negative.

Seriously though, I got through to a bit from another viewpoint, after the amusement park, but the game never got me to care about it, so I stopped. It was just (boringly) beating up robots in a brown wasteland, and I couldn’t get a handle on why I should care.

Almost all of the most memorable parts of the game are backloaded. It doesn't get to the really.... Yoko Taro bits until later on. I won't tell you to go back to it but you are definitely currently in the boring parts.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Automata has been on my to play list for a while, but seems I'm just better off waiting a bit longer?

It isn't hard to patch the Steam version to fix it, and there was a decent graphics mod that made it even better.

And it is 100% worth playing even in an imperfect state. That game is my top gaming experience of all time. Left some real lasting memories.

Counterpoint: I really wanted to like Automata, but bounced right off it. The intro sequence is confusing, the backstory is, I think intentionally, occluded, but there wasn’t enough to keep me interested in the narrative, as I couldn’t piece it together. The fighting was...fine, but the combat wasn’t really for me. The lack of signposting and mapping killed me, because I don’t have time to wander aimlessly around a huge environment hitting robots without real purpose.

A lot of people apparently really like it, but I just didn’t see it, though it sounds like I’m a minority.

Also really not sure about the arse-thetic.

It absolutely is. The world's history is explored over the course of the game but it's still kind of vague unless you've played through at least Nier Replicant. It's one of those things where it's a really neat callback if you're familiar with Drakengard/Nier Replicant but if you don't know any of the lead-ins then it can be kind of confusing why things are they way they are.

Also I seem to remember the environments being very...brown.

I'd have otherwise chalked it up to being centered around the remnants of civilization but even the forest area somehow seems brown, which is.... impressive.

Many forests are largely brown? I mean, maybe not if it's a birch forest, but otherwise, yeah, very brown.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Automata has been on my to play list for a while, but seems I'm just better off waiting a bit longer?

It isn't hard to patch the Steam version to fix it, and there was a decent graphics mod that made it even better.

And it is 100% worth playing even in an imperfect state. That game is my top gaming experience of all time. Left some real lasting memories.

Counterpoint: I really wanted to like Automata, but bounced right off it. The intro sequence is confusing, the backstory is, I think intentionally, occluded, but there wasn’t enough to keep me interested in the narrative, as I couldn’t piece it together. The fighting was...fine, but the combat wasn’t really for me. The lack of signposting and mapping killed me, because I don’t have time to wander aimlessly around a huge environment hitting robots without real purpose.

A lot of people apparently really like it, but I just didn’t see it, though it sounds like I’m a minority.

Also really not sure about the arse-thetic.

It absolutely is. The world's history is explored over the course of the game but it's still kind of vague unless you've played through at least Nier Replicant. It's one of those things where it's a really neat callback if you're familiar with Drakengard/Nier Replicant but if you don't know any of the lead-ins then it can be kind of confusing why things are they way they are.

Also I seem to remember the environments being very...brown.

I'd have otherwise chalked it up to being centered around the remnants of civilization but even the forest area somehow seems brown, which is.... impressive.

Many forests are largely brown? I mean, maybe not if it's a birch forest, but otherwise, yeah, very brown.

Nah there's a lot of moss and overgrowth, but they have a brownish fog effect that mutes it a lot.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    After hearing Pat absolutely shit all over Kenshi a couple weeks ago on Castle Superbeast, I had to give it a shot myself.

The game immediately clicked for me. I've been incredibly absorbed in it for the past two weeks, logging over 60 hours in it so far, and I haven't even touched the mods yet.

I think this one's going to have me hooked for a while. It's really scratching that itch I used to have Mount & Blade take care of.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    If I ever replay Kenshi it'll be to establish a unique base earlier instead of investing myself into The Hub, there is so much more trouble you get into by doing that.

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    If I ever replay Kenshi it'll be to establish a unique base earlier instead of investing myself into The Hub, there is so much more trouble you get into by doing that.

That's exactly where I'm at in my main game. I've dithered and spent too much time building up the Hub and now I don't know where I could really see myself settling.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    My advice? Don't do it right outside the hub cause I wanted to build some things that I couldn't elsewhere but it's not a great location.

Regardless I was making bank just mass producing master grade heart protectors so my main challenge for that run was over. Sure lots of high level stuff still yet to do but I'd want to start over fresh.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Nice to finally play mount and blade warband at 60fps

Annoyed windows 10 won't let me download large files

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    My advice? Don't do it right outside the hub cause I wanted to build some things that I couldn't elsewhere but it's not a great location.

Regardless I was making bank just mass producing master grade heart protectors so my main challenge for that run was over. Sure lots of high level stuff still yet to do but I'd want to start over fresh.

Yeah I've mostly just been running my main character around the world exploring to try to find a place to build a base and occasionally recruiting unwary generics into my Hub mining operation, where I have two teams mining copper to sell for huge markups to the Holy Nation. I've got pretty much all standard Book-learned research done at this point, but I've almost entirely neglected training my crew in combat, so they're still at the point where it's a coin flip whether they'll beat up a similar size band of Dust Bandits.

I'll probably spend this game testing out base building and then start a new run where I base up earlier.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Last line of that article
    Games exist to serve one purpose: to be played. If you’re buying them and not playing them, maybe you’re doing it wrong.

Oh......ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I can't believe Kojima made me care about being a post apocalypse mailman.

I also just killed an Eldritch horror with a blood grenade. Who's a cool guy? I'm a cool guy.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Fuck everything about this goosey nonsense.
    Asshat wrote:
    We are not squirrels hoarding nuts for the winter. We are human beings, an advanced species that given our history—man on the moon, instantaneous global communications, etc etc—should be capable of doing the basic math required to work out how many hours a game can be played for and how many hours are available to each of us in a day. But we can’t. We just fuck that one up, again and again, and we do it all the time.

Right. Because if there's one things humans are known for it's consistently rational economic behavior. It is only here, in digital game acquisition, where that core tenant of humanity's relentless march of progress breaks down. Not on selecting health care plans. Not on saving for a rainy day. Not on investing in infrastructure. Not in governance in general for that matter. Not in dating or staying in abusive relationships or child raising. Not economic bubbles and emotional stock purchases and cryptocurrency.

Nope. Only owning a digital game that you haven't played flags you as subhuman and warrants regret, bad feelings and public shaming.

Did you know we went to the moon?

Fuck this noise.

If you can't afford to buy a game and you buy a game, that is likely an issue. But if you can afford it, playing a game is not the only reason to buy a game. Maybe you want to support the developer. Maybe you like the message. Maybe you think you'll play it and want to buy it on discount. Maybe you never intend to play it but it's in a bundle with a game you will play. Or might play.

If you buy a game it is okay not to play it. You aren't wasting food. You aren't a cat lady/gentleman hoarding fourteen birdhouses. You aren't depriving someone else of the opportunity to have the game.

If you get a game as a gift, it is okay to accept it and then not play it. (It is also okay to decline a gift if it something you will never play. But you don't have to do Knucklehead's rational calculus for every green envelope - accepting the gift is not a binding contract to play something.)

It is okay to buy fewer games too, or no games or whatever. But don't waste time feeling bad about the ones you have.

It is okay to have a game on your account and not play it.

It is all okay.

:(

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Eh, his premise is off from the start. Exceptional individuals are the ones who did all those marvelous technological feats. The rest of us are not those exceptional individuals and our brains, unchanged since the days of caveperson unga-bunga, get the better of us 99 times out of 100. In the words of Agent K, "A person is smart. People are dumb panicky animals."

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    /toast/ @Iolo

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So, I have a bunch of games I haven’t played. Most of them are games that are similar to games I have played and think I would like.

What’s irrational about saying “I think I would love the dishonored series, its on sale for 15 dollars for all the games, let me buy it so that one day when I get bored and get the itch for that kind of game I don’t have to pay 50 bucks for it?

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Asshat wrote:
    We live in a digital world. Those games are going to go on sale again, and they’re never going to run out of stock.

Has he heard of the PlayStation 3/Vita/PSP?

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

Yep, why did I click on that dumb link to support it. *sigh* I should have known better after reading @Iolo 's post.

The answer to his "question" is the slogan that Kellogg's used long ago for their Apple Jacks product. "We eat what we like." This is the answer to anything I consider to be labeled as "entertainment" (aka waste of money/resources/time/etc.).

So now I will go back to reading the forum here, surfing video game sites for sales, and online stores for toys.

Edit: Sorry for the @ Iolo. Love your post dude.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    We literally are squirrels saving nuts for winter. I buy six games in two weeks on various sales and then for the four months of the year that I'm paying off Christmas credit card debt and can't afford name brand pop tarts have something to play.

Some people just plan for a much longer winter than I do.

Hevach on
  • Options
    I have a "pile of shame" because of stupid shit like Sony's doing with the PS3/PSP/Vita stores. I'd rather buy them when they're cheap and have them than do a mad dash to buy a bunch of shit at full price a couple of months before the plug gets pulled because you just know Sony isn't going to do a closeout sale or anything like that.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't really know of anyone who buys games right when they decide they want to play them, barring brand new releases. We buy games so they are available for us to play when we decide we want to play something and start flipping through our library. This goes for all media. Books and movies are no exceptions, they stay on the shelf until we're in the mood to interact with them.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I like the 'they'll never run out' argument. As if shit doesn't get pulled from stores. Brick or digital.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm fine with being anti-consumerism but that article is some condescending nonsense. No one's doing it wrong, play whatever the fuck you want to. Individual customer behavior isn't the problem.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    After hearing Pat absolutely shit all over Kenshi a couple weeks ago on Castle Superbeast, I had to give it a shot myself.

The game immediately clicked for me. I've been incredibly absorbed in it for the past two weeks, logging over 60 hours in it so far, and I haven't even touched the mods yet.

I think this one's going to have me hooked for a while. It's really scratching that itch I used to have Mount & Blade take care of.

Kenshi may not be for everyone, but it really is something special.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Nice to load up a terraria game under 2 minutes and have no lag

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    The only thing shameful about that pile of games is if you feel shame about having them. Fuck's sake, you think the totality of human progress is measured in achievements and "reaching further"? Try telling some guy who had nothing but Tafl (a chess-like board game) to play for his entire life that you have the potential to play over 100 games you've never even tried and sure, he may be all "damn, kids and their music" levels of grumpy but more likely he'd be like, "in the years of human history between my time and yours we've made over 100 ways to entertain ourselves? That's amazing!" because our accomplishments as human beings don't start and end with "went to space, global communication, etc", it's also being able to feel that slight bit of "oh damn" when the onion goes bad in the fridge, instead of tossing it in a boiling pot and hoping the gruel is enough to keep your remaining two kids alive for the winter.

And if there's any shame to be felt, it's in how we haven't eradicated the latter for everyone considering how much we have the world over.

But it's not to be shamed by a virtual bunch of 1s and fucking 0s. I feel no shame towards that backlog. I want to get to all the games, it's why I only accept gifts I've obviously communicated that I want, it's why I only buy games I know I want to play, but everyone does it differently and god damn we don't need anyone telling us how the amazing people of our past history would be so disappointed in us today. Fuck that noise, I have cinnamon in my cabinet, which was a gift for gods and kings in ancient times. Because it's so widely available I can go to an air conditioned store in a vehicle of mechanical design that burns dead dinosaurs for fuel and pick up a container of it, even if I'm not planning to use it until December for baking, because I can.

Lo, look upon the olde offerings to Apollo in mine spice cabinet and see that we have all become as gods!

"Pile of shame", fer fuck's sake . . .

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    F1 2021 game deets!
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.new-tracks-new-modes-and-release-date-codemasters-announce-key-details-for.73t8jZtaYMBVhxGXzoAaVy.html

Codemasters have announced that F1 2021, the new edition of the official Formula 1 game, will be released on July 16 – and is available to pre-order now!

The new game will include three new tracks which will feature in the real world Formula 1 championship this season, with the Portimao, Imola, and Jeddah circuits available as free post-launch content.

Meanwhile the Braking Point story mode will take players on an immersive journey from Formula 2 to the glamorous world of F1. Oh, and F2 rival Devon Butler makes a return too...

Pre-order F1 2021 now and receive pre-order bonuses including early access

Career mode also gets a huge update: friends are able to join your career online and play co-operatively – or choose a rival team and race against you, each player having full control over their driving assists. Furthermore, Real-Season Start enables players to begin at any point in the season, with real-time drivers' and constructors' standings reflected in game.

Driver-manager mode My Team returns, as does two-player split-screen, shorter-season options for both F1 and F2 Esports – plus Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 get next-gen visuals and faster loading times.

F1 2021 is available to pre-order now, and players who pre-order the Standard Edition receive the Braking Point Content Pack (in-game items inspired by the new story experience's fictional characters) plus 5,000 PitCoins.

Those ordering the Digital Deluxe Edition receive seven iconic F1 drivers for use in My Team, customisation content, 18,000 PitCoins, the Braking Point Content Pack and three days early access. F1 2021 also supports Xbox Smart Delivery and PlayStation's free upgrade when players switch to the Xbox Series X|S or PlayStation 5.

“Braking Point is an exciting innovation that has been years in the making. We are proud to expand the game experience and allow players to live the highs and lows of life in Formula 1® both on and off the track,” said Lee Mather, Franchise Game Director at Codemasters. “Braking Point transforms the game and puts players centre stage in the greatest racing spectacle on the planet.”

“We are creating more choice and new ways to play. Real-Season Start allows players to align their career to the F1® season,” said Paul Jeal, F1 Senior Franchise Director at Codemasters. “The addition of two-player Career brings new challenges to the iconic game mode. Players can now choose to play co-operatively and share in the success or compete and strive for personal glory.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrJ8PddAMIw

Not gonna lie, I'm a little sad they didn't include "the 2020 season as it actually happened", I guess you could do it as a custom season but you'd still be missing Mugello, Istanbul Park and the Nurburgring. But I do understand they only have a finite amount of development bandwidth in a year and they've said repeatedly that building the tracks is the single most time-consuming thing - and they already had three they needed to make for 2021, plus giving everything a next-gen coat of paint.

Also, PC specs on Steam say 80GB of storage required. So approximately double what 2020 or 2019 needed... hell, that's a third bigger than Cyberpunk 2077... :eek:

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    NieR Automata on Steam runs perfectly fine with FAR installed, it's a mod in Steam Workshop IIRC.
    And it's my game of the year every year because it's really that good.

When does that happen?
    (No, really...I’ll try it again one day...)

i don't get your question
    just go here and install the mod
    it's been working perfectly for 4 years

and the game is really amazing. the combat is as complex as you want it to be, the story is really far above the average and the ludonarrative resonance is what Kojima dreams about making and never did. The "just killing robots" complaint is something i don't really get, any game can be simplified like that, it doesn't really mean anything...

The story and worldbuilding is all there, just not shoved in our faces through 3h cutscenes/codec calls. and even if some part of it is obscured, it is nothing like Dark Souls, for instance, where there's little story but a ton of lore. You get both, here. Sure, not all people like more subtle narratives, that's fine. But there is so much there. It's not a fluke that this game has one of the most beloved endings in gaming.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Also, PC specs on Steam say 80GB of storage required. So approximately double what 2020 or 2019 needed... hell, that's a third bigger than Cyberpunk 2077... :eek:

Probably two-thirds more stable and complete.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Kotaku posts stupid shit all the time just to generate clicks. Even when it's not game related. All the writers and/or editors need to be replaced.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Kotaku posts stupid shit all the time just to generate clicks. Even when it's not game related. All the writers and/or editors need to be replaced.

Any of the good writers Kotaku may have had have all left because Spanfeller is a jackass. The writers that are left are mainly the clickbaity revenue generators that ultracapitalist CEOs like Spanfeller would prefer to have.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Asshat wrote:
    We live in a digital world. Those games are going to go on sale again, and they’re never going to run out of stock.

If you have the time, I'd like to speak with you about our Lord and savior CFW.

Also, co-op career mode in an F1 game is something that I had no idea I wanted until I found out about it. That sounds cool as hell.

• Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »

Kenshi may not be for everyone, but it really is something special.

Knowing Pat's personal tastes in games from many years of subjecting myself to him, his description of Kenshi was something completely antithetical to what he enjoys (directionless open worlds with self-made goals are at the top of that list), but ticks a lot of my boxes, so I figured it was worth a shot.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Personally, it pains me when people buy games to keep them sealed and never play them, namely a ton of LRG stuff. I wouldn't buy a game I had no intention of playing.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    There is really no reason I enjoyed Kenshi as much as I did.

It's hard, time consuming, explains jack all, and yet I found it so compelling.

Naming group members after forumers helps as well.

• Options
    Asshat wrote:

Yeah, that is certainly a heck of a take to make while half of a literal entire console generation is about to disappear from digital store shelves, and even physical copies that need to be patched/have assets downloaded to install become unplayable.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    The key is to not be ashamed. I'm thankful for the bits of my pile that were thoughtful gifts, and I wanted to support developers while getting games I thought I would eventually like to play at a good price. I have 0 hours in many bundle games that I redeemed and never played and in many games that I played but simply haven't gotten to yet.

Having more entertainment than I can consume right now isn't some horrible personal failing that I need to hide. I just haven't started playing Tembo the Badass Elephant yet. And that's okay. I also have books I haven't read yet. And TV shows I haven't watched yet. Is this guy going to judge me for that, too?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    If we're not criticizing other people's hobbies, by God, why are we even on the internet. :V

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I only care about my backlog because I eventually want to play those games and don't want to forget they exist.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So I wake up this morning to an e-mail and green envelope!
    -snip-

*shakes fist at random avatar* Thank you Karoz for the game Cozy Grove. I JUST put that on there to possibly buy since I needed a fun chill random game to cheer me up when I'm not using Breath of the Wild as a crutch. This (along with ElementWrath 's avatar) did cheer me up on a rather random weird week where my wife and I swore we heard our dog in the house again.

I didn't even see this tag before. Based on the fanfare I think it only polite to inform you that my avatar is from a larger sticker pack of my character.

Which means yes, there are dozens of other cute wolf images.

Also, to keep this post vaguely Steam related, I'm on a DRG kick again, and damn that game really has one of the best game communities. Also I saw someone who was level 2110. No that's not a typo. They must never stop.
    As a reward for reading this I present to you another sticker. cso96avhpyf5.png

Which is appropriate because now I am going to sleep.

ElementWrath on
This discussion has been closed.