As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Summer Sale: Don't look here, look over there!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    If gifts don't want to be accepted, they shouldn't be sent.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Isorn wrote: »
    cfc4tnilwugd.png

Small public service announcement. Reject everything @Karoz tries to send you.

Reposting this because this is still in effect. Karoz is still trying to sneak in gifts to this day.
    Karoz wrote: »
    Notice that this advice has been followed by all of 1 person of the 3/4 I've gifted in this period.

:lol:

In my defense I have a memory of a. Oh look a pre-order has gone up! What was I saying again? Oh yes, I have the memory capacity of an older person now with a limited amount of available space that is used for remembering to put my pants on in the morning.

You're still bothering with pants these days?

*looks down*
    well, ****.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »
    cfc4tnilwugd.png

Small public service announcement. Reject everything Karoz tries to send you.

Reposting this because this is still in effect. Karoz is still trying to sneak in gifts to this day.
    Notice that this advice has been followed by all of 1 person of the 3/4 I've gifted in this period.

:lol:

In my defense I have a memory of a. Oh look a pre-order has gone up! What was I saying again? Oh yes, I have the memory capacity of an older person now with a limited amount of available space that is used for remembering to put my pants on in the morning.

You're still bothering with pants these days?

Ok, shorts... But still wearing something on the bottom to not stick to my chair stool. I know that one day when I get older I'll run around naked and think it is just fine.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    While it's fun to get all these notice emails, please edit out my @ in the future if not talking about me.

:razz:

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    What if we hide the @'s in plain sight

Madican on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

The real @ 's were the friends we made along the way.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

The @'s are calling from inside the house!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

The @'s are calling from inside the house!

@! Aaaaa-aaaah! Saviour of the universe!

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    While it's fun to get all these notice emails, please edit out my @ in the future if not talking about me.

:razz:

I have no idea what you are talking about. *stealth edit*

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Some say the @'s you don't play are more important than the ones you do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular

dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun.......

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Questor wrote: »

HE"LL SAVE EVERY ONE OF US!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Questor wrote: »

HE"LL SAVE EVERY ONE OF US!

Stand for every one of us!

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Ok. Can we finally stop bitching every time it goes on sale?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Translation: "we really want to sell this new $60 game, so maybe by finally patching the broken parts of the old one, we can entice y'all to buy this one!"

>.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    @ attack!
    x2ddbb0koqij.jpg

Thanks @Betsuni for Rogue!

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Automata has been on my to play list for a while, but seems I'm just better off waiting a bit longer?

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Wait, I was reading somewhere that the Game Pass version is broken in a different way than the Steam version. I hope they don't just replace one broken version with another.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oh wow, @Shade sent me Ghostrunner while I was sleeping! I've heard great things about it! The Superhot/Mirrors Edge/Hotline Miami kind of combination looked so cool! Can't wait to play it! Thanks!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Wait, I was reading somewhere that the Game Pass version is broken in a different way than the Steam version. I hope they don't just replace one broken version with another.

Apparently while they thought it was a better version it's unfortunately not so we're still stuck waiting for the patch

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I've been playing through Monster Sanctuary the past week or so. It's essentially a Metroidvania version of Pokemon. I read about it receiving its first major update recently so I decided to pick it up one night while I was bored only to find I already owned it. I assume I bought it while it was in early access at a lower price but had planned to wait until it was officially released to play it.

I'll have deeper thoughts when I'm done with it, but thought it was worth putting on some people's radar. Outside of combat it's very much a modern Metroidvania. When you bump into an enemy while running about, you enter into a 3 on 3 turn based battle. Your monsters have different resistances, weaknesses, skills, ways to build them, etc. and you can have 6 in your party to swap between in battles. This is really the standout feature of the game but also the one that can give Metroidvania fans some pause. How smoothly the exploration and combat feel makes a huge difference in the genre and this one obviously has big shifts in pacing on a regular basis. The battle system is engaging though which is the only way this could work.

The plot and writing are also pretty vestigial. That's not terribly surprising given its inspirations. There's more to it than "fight 8 gym leaders, a rival, a crime syndicate, and a monster deity" but not by much.

But I'm having a lot of fun with it running around with a mini-Cthulu as healer and debuffer and a cat with a longsword as a primary damage dealer.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    @ attack!
    x2ddbb0koqij.jpg

Thanks @Betsuni for Rogue!
    Now you can finally see what all those games are like!

Fyi: Ludonaracon will be April 23-26 this year on steam. Been getting more excited about Narrative games and RPGs so I'm looking forward to this one.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    The new version is still single thread limited too. They didn't fix the one thing that needed to be fixed

Seriously? I just assumed that of *course* they'd fix that on later release. They can't say "itz got such 1337 grfx doodz" like their excuse at the time was.

That's not a thing that's really, like ... "fixable."

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Automata has been on my to play list for a while, but seems I'm just better off waiting a bit longer?

It isn't hard to patch the Steam version to fix it, and there was a decent graphics mod that made it even better.

And it is 100% worth playing even in an imperfect state. That game is my top gaming experience of all time. Left some real lasting memories.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

It isn't hard to patch the Steam version to fix it, and there was a decent graphics mod that made it even better.

And it is 100% worth playing even in an imperfect state. That game is my top gaming experience of all time. Left some real lasting memories.

Counterpoint: I really wanted to like Automata, but bounced right off it. The intro sequence is confusing, the backstory is, I think intentionally, occluded, but there wasn’t enough to keep me interested in the narrative, as I couldn’t piece it together. The fighting was...fine, but the combat wasn’t really for me. The lack of signposting and mapping killed me, because I don’t have time to wander aimlessly around a huge environment hitting robots without real purpose.

A lot of people apparently really like it, but I just didn’t see it, though it sounds like I’m a minority.

Also really not sure about the arse-thetic.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    NieR Automata on Steam runs perfectly fine with FAR installed, it's a mod in Steam Workshop IIRC.
    And it's my game of the year every year because it's really that good.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NieR Automata on Steam runs perfectly fine with FAR installed, it's a mod in Steam Workshop IIRC.

When does that happen?
    (No, really...I’ll try it again one day...)

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Counterpoint: I really wanted to like Automata, but bounced right off it. The intro sequence is confusing, the backstory is, I think intentionally, occluded, but there wasn’t enough to keep me interested in the narrative, as I couldn’t piece it together. The fighting was...fine, but the combat wasn’t really for me. The lack of signposting and mapping killed me, because I don’t have time to wander aimlessly around a huge environment hitting robots without real purpose.

A lot of people apparently really like it, but I just didn’t see it, though it sounds like I’m a minority.

It absolutely is. The world's history is explored over the course of the game but it's still kind of vague unless you've played through at least Nier Replicant. It's one of those things where it's a really neat callback if you're familiar with Drakengard/Nier Replicant but if you don't know any of the lead-ins then it can be kind of confusing why things are they way they are.

• Options
    I enjoyed the arsethetic, and the world was interesting enough to carry me a ways through the game even though it really made no sense whatsoever, butt... I got bored at some point and quit. I still have it installed and from time to time I think I'll try it again, but I never do.

It does tend to get super impressed with itself sometimes, though. Quite up its own butt, really.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I enjoyed the arsethetic, and the world was interesting enough to carry me a ways through the game even though it really made no sense whatsoever, butt... I got bored at some point and quit. I still have it installed and from time to time I think I'll try it again, but I never do.

It does tend to get super impressed with itself sometimes, though. Quite up its own butt, really.

:bzz:

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

It absolutely is. The world's history is explored over the course of the game but it's still kind of vague unless you've played through at least Nier Replicant. It's one of those things where it's a really neat callback if you're familiar with Drakengard/Nier Replicant but if you don't know any of the lead-ins then it can be kind of confusing why things are they way they are.

Also I seem to remember the environments being very...brown.

• Options

Goddammit.

Now I have to make another butt joke...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I'd have otherwise chalked it up to being centered around the remnants of civilization but even the forest area somehow seems brown, which is.... impressive.

• Options
    edited April 2021

I'd say the game does reveal enough of the world's history over the course of it. People who played Replicant will get a clearer picture more quickly but it's not a requirement.

I'd have otherwise chalked it up to being centered around the remnants of civilization but even the forest area somehow seems brown, which is.... impressive.

It is a last gen game. And a game about sad robots. I think think the drab visuals fit the game's themes quite well even if not the most technically impressive.

When does that happen?
    (No, really...I’ll try it again one day...)

I think it really started clicking for me when I got to the amusement park area. That's the first place I recall really standing out with the music really working with the environment to convey something different than other open world action games.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Hey you get to fight a naked, dongless, Sephiroth analog very early on!

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Hey you get to fight a naked, dongless, Sephiroth analog very early on!

Can’t tell whether this is being presented as a positive or a negative.

Seriously though, I got through to a bit from another viewpoint, after the amusement park, but the game never got me to care about it, so I stopped. It was just (boringly) beating up robots in a brown wasteland, and I couldn’t get a handle on why I should care.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    In other news, I finished The Longing. In a manner ofspeaking.

The Longing is like an indie game Tamogotchi. The premise is that you're a shade spawned by a slumbering rock king and tasked with watching over him for 400 days as he sleeps underground. These days pass in real time whether the game is running or not.

Time passes more quickly if you're in your lair and decorating it causes time to pass even faster. Most of the gameplay involves exploring the cave system, parts of which only open up hours or days after interacting with a door or other method of getting through a barrier. During said exploration, you can find things to add things to your home or parts to craft such items. Movement is extremely slow and the closest to a fast travel system is the ability to set a marker in a room that you can tell the shade to walk to automatically. It'll still take some time but it lets you do other things while you wait and you have many markers available.

You also can unlock different endings as you explore the caves, something I did not do. I picked this up probably around the summer figuring I had the time during the pandemic and finding the concept intriguing. I had last played in September before booting it back up earlier after the announcement that it was coming to the Switch reminded me of it. Enough time had passed in my well decorated home to finish the game via time.

It's not a game you play in the normal sense but forgetting about something for months during the pandemic is probably the best metaphor for life the past year I've found in a game. 7.5/10.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Goddammit.

Now I have to make another butt joke...

Is that some kind of crack?

This discussion has been closed.