As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Breaking the sun in 2022

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    It took me over 550 Hours before i figured out how to see the "Kill shot" image and i love it so much.

I got Large and Small crown Magma Almudron on kill 34. About 6-8 minutes a kill not all that bad considering the rate for normal quests in master rank are 6% small / 10% Large though the Double hunt master ranks seem to be the direct opposite of hard rank double hunts. (Hard Rank doubles will never be crown worthy) but all the "Hunt 2 of this monster" quest in Master rank give a large and small.

This leaves 10 Sunbreak monsters to crown

Then its back to hunting base game monsters for crowns.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i think i'm almost done with with title update stuff for now (in the technical sense, i haven't touched the new non-investigation A5 quests or the new advanced quests)

there's still at least five switch axes i'd like to augment (mizutsune, reconqueress, gore, chameleos, teo)

armor augments i'm broadly satisfied with, most of my regular pieces have something i'm fine with, but i do want to roll at least some marginal bonuses on some of the rarity 10 sets like valstrax or scorned., but i won't try to roll for much on those. +defense or a slot will suffice

might do one more session tonight to augment one or two more axes and augment what armor i can, then swap back over to my new character again for a while.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    i made a really gnarly ibushi grinder (s) set (AB7, CE5, CB3, CC3, Grinder (S) 3!) so maybe i'll cross gore off the list. i also don't see myself running with a dedicated blast build, so maybe i just won't bother with teo.

just remembered bagel's axe is good, though, fuck. might do sharpness + affinity on that one, 360 raw at -10% affinity is up there.

i will be augmenting switch axes forever oh my god

Elendil on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Blast seems really bad in a meta where there are tons of afflicted monsters, since the flat damage + unlimited increase in blast tolerance means the damage potential is super low. Poison kind of has the same problem with Afflicted monsters having better status resist, but at least with status trigger you can still get a ton of uptime and just use Poison as an alternative raw build if you've got a weapon that's good for that.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    milski wrote: »
    Blast seems really bad in a meta where there are tons of afflicted monsters, since the flat damage + unlimited increase in blast tolerance means the damage potential is super low. Poison kind of has the same problem with Afflicted monsters having better status resist, but at least with status trigger you can still get a ton of uptime and just use Poison as an alternative raw build if you've got a weapon that's good for that.

Yeah, this has been a problem for so long, I wish they'd rework both status effects to make them viable in anything past mid-game.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    yeah i'm going to try a foray/status trigger/adrenaline rush/bladescale hone build with chammy if i can squeeze it all in but obviously the benefits of the actual poison damage are pretty slim in comparison to all the other shit

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Yeah, this has been a problem for so long, I wish they'd rework both status effects to make them viable in anything past mid-game.

Just make them percentage based, problem solved. Foray is neat but it's so many hoops to jump through for... probably not enough benefit.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I mean foray is only what, 20 raw at rank 3? and 20% affinity but most people are going to be overcapped on affinity

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I mean foray is only what, 20 raw at rank 3? and 20% affinity but most people are going to be overcapped on affinity
    i rolled it onto malzeno gloves so that shit is basically free for me on a status trigger build to begin with

edit: aw hell, adrenaline rush is on the gloves

Elendil on
  • Options
    it's a great 1 point skill, but I wish it did something better for statuses

• Options
    Blast would probably be fine if blast resistance was capped, since you could basically tune it like it was extra raw damage that didn't care about hitzones and let you open the fight with a ton of damage; it could basically be a farming partbreaker skill, since low HP pool monsters who you instantly get the first couple of blasts on would let you have a pretty high effective DPS for the incredibly short fight.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    yeah i'm going to try a foray/status trigger/adrenaline rush/bladescale hone build with chammy if i can squeeze it all in but obviously the benefits of the actual poison damage are pretty slim in comparison to all the other shit

Unfortunately I think the Lucent Narga weapon is the best, because while it's poison is terrible you only really need it to apply twice for the Foray boost and you can still have pretty high uptime, especially if you have a point of Status Trigger somewhere which effectively triples your poison.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Quick Breath is such a fantastic ability, I don't know why I didn't make the deco sooner. I added it to my Ninja Sword comfort set and now I want to see if I can squeeze it in all my other sets.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Unfortunately I think the Lucent Narga weapon is the best, because while it's poison is terrible you only really need it to apply twice for the Foray boost and you can still have pretty high uptime, especially if you have a point of Status Trigger somewhere which effectively triples your poison.
    for swaxe i think the only real difference in lucent's favor is the extra tier 4 slot

which isn't nothing, but probably not worth it to me of making the extra effort to craft the weapon, plus the chammy axe looks fucken sick nasty so

Elendil on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

As someone who is now apparently a gunlance main, I use a Blast weapon but that's because it's the best general use gunlance and the Blast is just a bonus. It's certainly not strong enough to be the focus of a build though.
    Quick Breath is such a fantastic ability, I don't know why I didn't make the deco sooner. I added it to my Ninja Sword comfort set and now I want to see if I can squeeze it in all my other sets.

Builds that people talk about tend to be very glass cannon dps focused. Quick Breath is easy to overlook as a result and I only knew about it because FightingCowboy is a big fan and likes it on his builds that are more balanced between damage and survivability. It's definitely handy against monsters that can hit you with multiple statuses like Rathian but still nice even for single status monsters. It's a lot faster to put out burning by scroll swapping than shelving a gunlance and then rolling.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

As someone who is now apparently a gunlance main, I use a Blast weapon but that's because it's the best general use gunlance and the Blast is just a bonus. It's certainly not strong enough to be the focus of a build though.

Builds that people talk about tend to be very glass cannon dps focused. Quick Breath is easy to overlook as a result and I only knew about it because FightingCowboy is a big fan and likes it on his builds that are more balanced between damage and survivability. It's definitely handy against monsters that can hit you with multiple statuses like Rathian but still nice even for single status monsters. It's a lot faster to put out burning by scroll swapping than shelving a gunlance and then rolling.

Gunlance is in a weird category because I think shelling level is the big important thing, right?

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Gunlance is in a weird category because I think shelling level is the big important thing, right?

Yes, it's a major thing. A lot of rarity 10 gunlances are viewed as unviable because they don't have level 8 shelling.

It's not the only weapon where a status or element comes along as a bonus for a build though. The Abyssal Flicker is/was viewed as the best Raw Longsword though it's Dragon element Longsword. It just still had the best raw damage and sharpness combination regardless.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    i suspect that there's probably some wiggle room on normal shelling to run 7 if you can make the damage back up in raw

long and wide are centrally shelling, so without any other scaling you kinda have to run max

• Options
    i suspect that there's probably some wiggle room on normal shelling to run 7 if you can make the damage back up in raw

long and wide are centrally shelling, so without any other scaling you kinda have to run max

Theoretically that would be possible with a big enough Raw number, but the Pyre-Radakni gunlance has some good raw stats in addition to the Normal Shelling 8. Those theoretical numbers have to be big though as so much of Normal Shelling playstyle is now about using Reverse Blast to go directly into the shelling part of an aerial combo and Reverse Blast recharges its wirebugs so quickly there isn't as much attacks that involve raw weapon hits. I'm still wrapping my head around the new tactics as I very much have been a Bullet Barrage devotee previously.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Is there any reason to ever run bullet barrage on a wide gunlance or is it just as bad of an idea as it seems?

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    switch axe build meta discussions: "protective polish is really more of a comfort skill"
    people who actually play switch axe:

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Is there any reason to ever run bullet barrage on a wide gunlance or is it just as bad of an idea as it seems?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mI00DZLpds

though to be fair that applies to all gunlances

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

The closest thing to a meta Wide Shelling build still runs it. It is still a burst of damage if you have the wirebugs available.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    So having now done a number of hunts tonight trying out the Reverse Blast + Hellfire Cloak 3 combo, it feels way better than Bullet Barrage spam did. The sequence of things can feel a bit awkward at times, but being able to do some KO damage to a monster's face and almost immediately slam down and fire off a full burst feels extremely nice and all happens with a level of speed that is not normally associated with Gunlance. I have of course whiffed several times but the single wirebug refreshes way faster than Bullet Barrage and whiffing with a Reverse Blast usually puts you pretty far out of harm's way. That definitely cannot be said of Bullet Barrage. I do still use Bullet Barrage occasionally when Wyvern Fire is up as that eliminates the lengthy prep time when it's not up and that prep time is the biggest source of my whiffs with BB. And the Reverse Blast + Hellfire Cloak combo will topple a monster every now and then which is a free shot for BB even if it needs to reload Wyvern Fire.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    from the people who brought you a blast variant of a fire monster it's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiQbhprtHz8

a fire version of a fire monster

hype hype hype

(i'm begging you, Capcom, if you're going this route please give us Cooler Goss, who is exactly the same but with better shit and sunglasses)

• Options
    it me

9g7e7m65g780.png

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Barioth vs Frostfang Barioth

Legiana vs Shrieking Legiana

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    For me its greed.

Absolute greed. So many times when I saw an opening I knew was a trap and yet took it anyway.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    from the people who brought you a blast variant of a fire monster it's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiQbhprtHz8

a fire version of a fire monster

hype hype hype

(i'm begging you, Capcom, if you're going this route please give us Cooler Goss, who is exactly the same but with better shit and sunglasses)

Gooss Harag.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Exploding Goss Harag

• Options
    Moss Harag

Gloss Harag

• Options
    Gauss Harag

• Options
    blizzard goss harag, now with the power of ice+

• Options
    the worst part is that supposedly, from datamining the other known monster is
    mizutsune... with fire

• Options
    mizutsune... with fire

Wouldn't that make it
    Hitsune?

Also, my fondest wish for DLC content is actual meals rather than dango

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    mizutsune... with fire

Wouldn't that make it
    Hitsune?

Also, my fondest wish for DLC content is actual meals rather than dango
    Firefox would also have been acceptable

Steam Profile
  • Options
    mizutsune... with fire

isn't that just
    apex mizu/soulseer?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Floss Harag

Proper dental health is important

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Floss Harag

Proper dental health is important

ok, i flossed a rag, what next?

• Options
    i've been playing a lot of hammer and man i've been enjoying it a lot. huge improvement on base rise hammer. i've been trying to practice with water strike and integrating it into my regular play. not having the new silkbinds is driving me crazy, really getting impatient.

i've gotten a fair bit better with charge blade. i'm making a concerted effort to branch out from SAED spam and get used to using the sword buff, AED, and axe moves when they're appropriate; i'm in the habit of just doing an SAED after everything when i have phials. still not super great at the weapon, but i am starting to get sub-10s in high rank on high tier monsters.

dual blades are... fine but tbh i'm really not getting into the aerial stuff a whole lot. still need to try the first MR switch skill to see how that is.

i opened up MR a while ago but i'm still grinding HR a bit to build familiarity and to assemble a collection of decorations. i wanna at least get the basic ones; some crit eye/attack boost, crit boost, sharpness management, elemental decos, guard/guard up, etc.