As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Breaking the sun in 2022

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    in solo they aren't too bad, but four players + four pets, they can be... a lot in some situations

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    MH:R on sale 50% off on Steam. I was holding off until Sunbreak, thinking there would be a game + expansion bundle, but I'm wondering if they ever did that for Iceborne and whether I should just pick up the game now.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    MH:R on sale 50% off on Steam. I was holding off until Sunbreak, thinking there would be a game + expansion bundle, but I'm wondering if they ever did that for Iceborne and whether I should just pick up the game now.

Yes, they did. That's how I got it for PC.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    At least if you get it now and the expansion later, you have plenty of time to get caught up in the base game.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    That is a compelling case you make.

$30 now + $40 (based on Iceborne DLC only) later vs $60 (based on Iceborne bundle) in two months.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    They also released a gameplay trailer for Garangolm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ7YSC5r-1E

He has a rocket jump punch and i love him forever now

...also god i love that monsters actually have to turn in this game and dont just pivot on the spot like in Elden Ring. The tells! so clean!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    They also released a gameplay trailer for Garangolm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ7YSC5r-1E

He has a rocket jump punch and i love him forever now

...also god i love that monsters actually have to turn in this game and dont just pivot on the spot like in Elden Ring. The tells! so clean!

Hes gonna be a lot of fun

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I was disappointed World's hit effects weren't as flashy at first but grew to appreciate how understated they are. Rise is too much in the other direction.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I was disappointed World's hit effects weren't as flashy at first but grew to appreciate how understated they are. Rise is too much in the other direction.

Rise is okay solo with the effect option turned down. With four players and their pets there's so much going on that it gets difficult to read when the monster is getting ready to do something.

Part of this is likely due to the game needing larger effects to be easily readable on a small screen, but it's just too much.

Frem on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Hello MH thread, long time no see.

I just got Iceborne but for PC this time, kinda want to play through it again in wait for Sunbreak, but I have a question: Did Capcom kill of modding for Iceborne? I sorta recall they did, but I'm not entirely sure. If not, what are some mods that you think would be essential for the game?

I don't like HP bars and stuff like that, but mods like having all NPCs in the same area was crucial for me in the base game.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Hello MH thread, long time no see.

I just got Iceborne but for PC this time, kinda want to play through it again in wait for Sunbreak, but I have a question: Did Capcom kill of modding for Iceborne? I sorta recall they did, but I'm not entirely sure. If not, what are some mods that you think would be essential for the game?

I don't like HP bars and stuff like that, but mods like having all NPCs in the same area was crucial for me in the base game.

they didn't kill mods between world & iceborne, but they changed the file structure of the game between releases so a lot of vanilla mods simply need to be replaced with updated versions. by now everything should be upgraded on nexus mods. as for the all npcs mods for astera, seliana in iceborne has a much better structure (and its hub has everything available except melding, so about the same as the OG mod hub)

• Options
    I think the mod I appreciated most was one that gave all ground drops a color coded light pillar.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Thanks! Yeah, the hubs in Seliana are so much better that I don't feel the need to get that mod again.

I will probably mod some decorations and augment materials in, as that's a grind I'm not so willing to do again. But that'll be endgame.

For now, enjoying the game again but at 1440p and 90fps has been quite nice. It's interesting that I remember back when IB released, I had way more trouble with the first few monsters, taking me 15-20 minutes on each. Now I'm blasting through them even though I'm still using my HR Kjarr longsword. It's most probably my much better understanding of using the clutch claw effectively right now than it was back when it released on PS4.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I'd rather not be on a plane, period, never mind a 10-hour flight, but...

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Ugh. So behind on Rise.

I need to get to HR and finish everything before Sunbreak so I can grind decos and stuff abit in prep.

Its a damn shame crafting armor that isn't MR feels like such a waste. They need a system to upgrade LR and HR to a higher tier like weapons have.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Well they did add that equivalent to defender armor didn't they? So you can get through most/all of LR in it.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Well they did add that equivalent to defender armor didn't they? So you can get through most/all of LR in it.
    Yeah but I still like craft my kit the more balanced way and beat the content without quite so much of an advantage.

Defender set is for basically speeding your way through it. Was very useful in MHW when I transferred to the PC version and didn't want to have to grind to get where I was on PS4 for too long though.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I have killed 119 Apex Zingore trying to find a small crown.

I have ascended the fight is no longer intense.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »

I'm really curious that if, after dealing with all of Elden Rings bullshit, I'd no longer find his hang time paw slam so hard to deal with.

God but monsters hunter super clean tells and general lack of gotcha tracking attacks is such a relief

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I think my main regret with World is that I beat Fatalis with a light bowgun instead of my trusty hammer.

Most of the hundreds of hours I spent in that game were with it but I just really fell in love with the power and maneuverability of a good shotgun LBG towards the end. There became so much more room for error, it felt very freeing.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I'm really curious that if, after dealing with all of Elden Rings bullshit, I'd no longer find his hang time paw slam so hard to deal with.

God but monsters hunter super clean tells and general lack of gotcha tracking attacks is such a relief

I've found I'm less impatient after Elden Ring basically beat "REACT, DO NOT PREDICT" into my skull.

• Options
    I can't play Bowgun in Rise though because the way they changed some of the controls drives my muscle memory insane.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I can't play Bowgun in Rise though because the way they changed some of the controls drives my muscle memory insane.
    Worth pushing through IMO. Best feeling bowguns so far.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Rise is gonna be at SGDQ this year. 1:15 (using the add-on gear) to beating Magnamalo.

I'm really curious to see how they manage.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Rise is gonna be at SGDQ this year. 1:15 (using the add-on gear) to beating Magnamalo.

I want to see a weapon bid war. But more likely I guess it's just Long Sword %.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Polaritie wrote: »

I want to see a weapon bid war. But more likely I guess it's just Long Sword %.

Either longsword or bow or LBG

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    For entertainment value (and living on the edge) I'd want to see bow I think (of those three). The evade attack leads to some real nonsense looking fights.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    For entertainment value (and living on the edge) I'd want to see bow I think (of those three). The evade attack leads to some real nonsense looking fights.

Oh the dodgebolt? Shits bananas

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    nobody wants to watch a bowgun speedrun

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    nobody wants to watch a bowgun speedrun

... I do

• Options

Also, to this

Don't fight Apex Azuros again if you want to maintain this peace

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I think I'm finally a monster hunter. Got to HR3 with friends (all noobs like me), including two magnamalo kills so far.
    plus i beaten malo in SP, opened 5* village quests and killed a Rathalos pretty easy. I know there is a lot of game still to go and i haven't even touched the actual hard stuff, but I can beat up monsters pretty well with my long sword (yeah, i play weeb, sue me).

But how the hell do i open more smithy pages?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I think I'm finally a monster hunter. Got to HR3 with friends (all noobs like me), including two magnamalo kills so far.
    plus i beaten malo in SP, opened 5* village quests and killed a Rathalos pretty easy. I know there is a lot of game still to go and i haven't even touched the actual hard stuff, but I can beat up monsters pretty well with my long sword (yeah, i play weeb, sue me).

But how the hell do i open more smithy pages?

No pages, scroll to the right.

Also, welcome to the family! I will only slightly make fun of you for using LS.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    If you're talking about the sections of the smithy that start hidden, you unlock them as you progress through the game. I think it's particular main story quests that they'll unlock at, though I've never really looked into it.

cB557 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Yeah, so far it doesn't scroll, it ends at the second to last row before scrolling

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Feeling incredibly rusty right now. Trying out pierce, but differently than I did it before, i.e. taking a lot of the stuff I learned playing spread. My aiming is kind of all over the place, but I'm enjoying it.

https://youtu.be/mkRq4uF68EI

If they get rid of the dodgebolt in MH6, bow is gonna feel a lot worse

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Not having to deal with an enemy changing attack trajectory mid-animation like the thing is on the worlds most malicious lazy susan is nice.

Zunde on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    If you're talking about the sections of the smithy that start hidden, you unlock them as you progress through the game. I think it's particular main story quests that they'll unlock at, though I've never really looked into it.

I think it’s when you do a hunt for the particular monster that the hidden weapon requires parts from.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Oh yeah: Sunbreak digital event tomorrow

• Options
    You know

As soon as I saw the outcome I knew it was incredibly stupid and had to get made

https://youtu.be/dkCuwG0K8aI