As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Game Thread] Street Fighter 6 demo out now on playstation.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    between our own discord, this forum, and the whole of FGC social media I'm not sure I have seen a single individual person say something overtly positive about Strive's gameplay whatsoever

but i don't follow any ramlethal players so idk

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    you should have played it for yourself instead of just believing my negativity
    its weird how much more negative i was feeling towards this beta, I think its just external factors and being in a bad mood whereas i went into the first open beta with zero expectations and then was pleasantly surprised that the netcode was good and the game felt more like guilty gear than i expected

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Jasconius wrote: »
    between our own discord, this forum, and the whole of FGC social media I'm not sure I have seen a single individual person say something overtly positive about Strive's gameplay whatsoever

you kiddin me? they nerfed ramlethal's j.HS so that it doesn't beat Everything In The Game, everything's shit now!!!

https://youtu.be/PIerXDaih6g

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Capcom Asia East

1. UYU|NL (Cammy, Ryu)
    2. Infiltration (Juri, Ed, F.A.N.G)
    3. Xiaobao (Vega, Lucia)
    4. Talon|HotDog29 (M. Bison)
    5. UYU|OilKing (Rashid, Seth, Rose)
    5. GamerBee (Cammy, Necalli)
    7. RB (Urien, Dan)
    7. MinuteMaidOrange (Cammy, Karin)

This makes our CPT results so far being:

Cammy (Mago, Japan 1)
    Cammy (MJ_gama, Central America West 1)
    Kolin (Nephew, NA West 1)
    Cammy (NL, Asia East 1)

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    I really like it, so that's one! The pace is pretty much perfect for me, combos are the perfect length, I was getting significantly better at blocking I-no's shenanigans over time so that gives me confidence in my ability to improve, it's a great package for me.

And like Sajam said, the release version of a game is always the worst, and with the great netcode it'll have a plenty long lifespan to keep getting better and better.

• Options
    Yeah there's things I dislike about Strive right now but overall I'm very positive on it as a foundation. Yesterday I was able to sit down and shoot the shit with a friend in the states who's just starting to learn fighting games and just have good online matches where we could swap between actually playing and training mode style "okay i'm just gonna do this to you for a bit and you see what you can figure out about it" conversation without it feeling Netcodey at all

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    I had a lot of fun playing as i-no she's a blast to play

God I still feel like making nearly every characters song have vocals was a terrible decision though

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-BcNBfCNfc&ab_channel=ANIMEILLUMINATI

As long as this stays the same, I'm not worried about lobbies or anything. Park life forever.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Strive feels like a foundation for the new direction the devs are taking GG in.

While Xrd was more of a continuation.

Because of this it will feel a bit more basic than Xrd but I also feel they'll add stuff in time.

Personally I think the best thing you can do is go in with zero expectations and see how you like it for yourself.

Because a lot of opinions will be bias in either direction depending on said players history.

As someone who hasn't really played GG since XX2 and has always been more of a BB fan I will say I thought the game was fun but it also feels like I said we are playing the most basic versions.

Also there are some big fundamental changes to this game so expect a lot of salt from some legacy players.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    it sucks that the character I was most looking forward to, nagoriyuki, seems incredibly flawed at a core design level and that they did him dirty this build imo, but I think strive is a really good starting point

I'm probably just gonna play May lol

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Nago reminds me of Hakumen.

And just like him they are probably gonna overhaul that character a bunch of times until they finally settle on something.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I saw a few people on twitter that seemed to think Nagoriyuki was still fine, most notably Zidane, though that dude does tend to gravitate towards the "flawed but unga" archetype so idk.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    From what I saw is you have to be a lot more careful with his combo routes.

You can't really go ham as much and you have to depend on the command grab more.

But his dash costs less blood and the universal AA change helps him so who knows.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I wondered why Leo's english VA was so familiar, disspite his huge body of work, it was just the years of playing Garen in LoL coming back to me.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    you can't depend on the command grab though. thats the thing that makes him different from sin and makes blood gauge an actual mechanic that the nagoriyuki player and their opponent has to think about instead of being pretty mindless and straight forward like the calorie gauge. if you put yourself at high blood gauge you cannot reliably lower it because all methods of lowering it require your opponent to 'cooperate', and even attempting stuff like landing command grab is generally going to require a blood gauge investment in the teleport

idk i didn't play him in this beta so i can't say for certain that the blood gauge became too hard to manage - from training mode it seemed to me more like the blood gauge changes mostly made it so a bunch of his unique and powerful stuff just became too risky to actually use outside of closing out a match situation. like, yeah, you can use 2S dive to get a nice combo off of a whiff punish but your blood gauge will be completely screwed after, you can use his projectile + teleport for plus frames to setup a strike/throw mixup but if you pick strike your blood gauge is screwed, etc.

(although one thing i didn't notice until i read it on twitter was that they gave him buffs to his normals at high blood gauge? but without having played him against people i don't know how that feels - i know in the previous OBT his normals felt pretty limited and not great when combined with his poor mobility, but i was playing against ky so :person_shrugging: who knows if it holds against the general cast)

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    It's hard to say as I feel like he's a character who will require more math than you can gather during a three day beta and this isn't even the final version.

And I feel the command grab not being guaranteed goes along with the risk/reward of most of his moveset.

Now you can argue that the risk and reward is skewed right now and it might be but like I said I feel he's the kind of character that will take time to figure out.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Oh Yes. Bringing the Good Word of the Christ Jesus to SamSho.

SAMURAI SHODOWN】
    SHIRO TOKISADA AMAKUSA joins SAMURAI SHODOWN on June 14th as the 3rd DLC Character in the Season Pass 3!
    #SNK #SamSho #AmakusaShiro

acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    i get what they were trying to do with nagoriyuki I just think it sucks to play regardless of how good it is or isnt

but they've leaned too hard into the part that sucks to play to fix it without a big revision of the whole thing

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the character im thinking of the most right now is faust, I dont know why I never paid attention to this character before but I love how ridiculous he is visually, that might be the thing to get me to buy the game

• Options
    may, sol, and faust are probably the 3 characters I like the most

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Just sitting over here, staring at my black monolith of a pc that is not a playstation, wondering where the beta love is for strive ;-;

• Options
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    the character im thinking of the most right now is faust, I dont know why I never paid attention to this character before but I love how ridiculous he is visually, that might be the thing to get me to buy the game

Faust seems to be like rose was in sf4

Just troll the shit outta your opponent with massive normals and stupid annoying projectiles

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Faust seems to be like rose was in sf4

Just troll the shit outta your opponent with massive normals and stupid annoying projectiles

Sadly, Faust can no longer ring the backdoor bell on opponents, though the Afro thing is cool.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    As a fighting noob that only knows a little sfv, and got in in part because it looked...slower and easier to read, how is strive going to feel? Longer combos? Faster in general? Those are both bad things for me.

• Options
    As a fighting noob that only knows a little sfv, and got in in part because it looked...slower and easier to read, how is strive going to feel? Longer combos? Faster in general? Those are both bad things for me.

Strive is slower and less combo heavy than previous GG.

Also don't be too intimidated by anime fighters it isn't even that they are that much faster its moreso that the increased air movement changes how you navigate the screen.

In some ways I would say they're easier cause they're less about precise spacing and more about forcing your opponent to make bad whiffs then capitalizing.

I would say the difficulty comes more from how smothering the pressure feels at times but that goes for both players.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Man, it's rough trying to reach Gold when I can't play consistently enough and my know-how just atrophies because of work. Like we're talking a week without playing.

• Options
    I'm freshening up on my GG lore and I didn't realize how much of BB's lore is just GG's lore but repurposed.

• Options
    yeah blazblue is a coward's game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    BB is the game of kings.

I was like wow if they had never lost the license to GG and did lots of drugs they would have never made this broken masterpiece.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021

Introducing The Fighting Game Glossary. Over 650 terms carefully explained with 200+ video examples and Japanese translations. Easily search by term or game, share links to terms with your friends, and explore related concepts without losing your place.

simulacrum on
  • Options
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    They blocked the Dan infinite by giving his fireball a randomized buff. Hilarious.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    So because he has a V-Skill that applies armor, Zangief gets thrown out of EX SPD now? I guess everyone who uses V-Skill 2 gets less than nothing then. That's some nice "downward balancing", lol.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Itazan keeps getting Gief nerfed.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    So because he has a V-Skill that applies armor, Zangief gets thrown out of EX SPD now? I guess everyone who uses V-Skill 2 gets less than nothing then. That's some nice "downward balancing", lol.

vls6npphltsd.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2021
    After further inspection I get what you guys are saying about Nago.

They made his command grab better but gutted damn near everything else in the process.

I hope this isn't the retail build of the character.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Personally I generally assume that betas for things are about a month behind where the game is in general, just to have a locked build stable enough to put out

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.