As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Game Thread] Street Fighter 6 demo out now on playstation.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    people should absolutely not buy that VF release if it doesnt have rollback

its time to take a stand people

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

It's on PS+ / will be free, so....

And I have to play it. It's VF.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Also Sega will absolutely go, “WELL NO ONE BOUGHT IT SO NO ONE REALLY CARES ABOUT VF!” And VF will die forever.

Of course if it does well Sega will go, “EVERYTHING IS PERFECT, CHANGE NOTHING!” So really a damned if you do damned if you don’t scenario.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah if it's on PSN I'll get it cause free is free.

I might not play it but I'll get it.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Being able to play if without loading up Yakuza does rule tho and the while ass game is inside it

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »

It's on PS+ / will be free, so....

And I have to play it. It's VF.

Yeah, I was about to come in and say this. I don't know that boycotting free VF is going to send the message.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Now Vanessa and Angel please.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Now Vanessa and Angel please.

Yeah, let's finally get some *good* characters in a kof
    vanessa-v5.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    So as someone who has never touched it I'm wondering how does VF play compared to other 3D fighters.

It looks like a middle ground between Tekken and SC from what I've seen.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Vf is just....so ugly? Is this anyone's yum, actually?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    VF was pretty popular back in the day. Before Tekken it was the 3D fighter.

Also, like I said this was originally a PS3/360 era game only so much you can do without a complete overhaul.

And that much effort would be better suited for a VF6.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So as someone who has never touched it I'm wondering how does VF play compared to other 3D fighters.

I have always thought VF, gameplay wise, was better than Tekken or SC. Granted, that was back when it was coming out at the same pace as those games.

Comparing VF Final Showdown to current Tekkens / SC is a bit unfair....but yeah, VF is great.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    zbXxnqsh.jpg
    UP71gPoh.jpg

i always kinda liked the mixed texture/low poly look they had going in VF2

but that style just got kinda worn down the more they pumped up the fidelity of the game on newer systems

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

I have always thought VF, gameplay wise, was better than Tekken or SC. Granted, that was back when it was coming out at the same pace as those games.

Comparing VF Final Showdown to current Tekkens / SC is a bit unfair....but yeah, VF is great.

I remember what I think was VF3 being super solid gameplay wise. Whichever one Aoi became a character in. I wouldn't put it above SC in any way, but absolutely above Tekken. Also well above DOA, and that was pretty much the main set of 3D fighters back then.

At this point though the only 3D fighter I can stomach is SC.

• Options
    I was moreso asking how the game plays mainly movement.

One of my issues with Tekken is movement feels rigid until you learn more advanced techniques.

VF seems closer to SC where it's a lot more intuitive.

• Options
    I remember it being somewhere inbetween. I never played beyond 3 though. Did they stick to huge jumping down attacks as their thing?

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I remember really liking VF4. I think that's when they tweaked it a bit to be more accessible? I remember the 3D movement feeling really smooth.

It also came out when Tekken was on a down note I think? So that helped.

• Options
    I actually love brolos second example there, but then I have very fond memories of falling off the raft in soul edge too. I also didn't realize VF was a remake, that makes way more sense too. Fighting games in general are just a real weird space I'm learning about.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Tekken 7 4.20(lol) patch notes.

Saints be praised, they actually buffed Lili.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Speaking of 3D fighters, Tekken just got a pretty big surprise balance patch. From a quick glance, most characters got bug fixes, but the generally accepted low tiers have some pretty long lists of changes.

• Options
    Looking forward to starting strive with a small roster and...ignoring all discussion that isn't here, really. Lord will the takes be hot and bad on matchups and tiers.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Tekken 7 4.20(lol) patch notes.

Saints be praised, they actually buffed Lili.

Seems like they went back and gave some love to characters who were more or less ignored in the last patch.

I know those previous Leo buffs were very disappointing.

Oh wow they actually gave Leo some useful counterhit launchers.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Lidia’s dead, Fak/Leroy/Kuni are fine though, no issues there, they are totally balanced and fair characters now.

I’m kinda okay with the increased recovery on things that were theoretically punishable on Lidia, online it was basically safe and offline you had to really know the matchup.

i am NOT okay with the decreased combo damage and worse hopkick. Her hopkick screws already, so with the combo damage nerf it’s gonna be even more useless, and now its SLOWER.

All she has left are her dumb seeable gimmicks and her hellsweep, and it’s not exactly hard to not let her get RIGHT ON TOP OF YOU for that hellsweep.

Still main, still best president, but I’m looking at this War and Peace length list of buffs for Lili and I’m feeling a bit nostalgic.

Transporter on
  • Options
    My sister's boyfriend pulled out Kuni on me.

That character has so many safe gimmicks it irritated the fuck out of me.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Spent some time with Shanty in Them's Fightin' Herds and she is soooo cool. That game does so much right.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options

Gotta respect his attempt to exert dominance in the situation, though. Hope you won :).

• Options

Gotta respect his attempt to exert dominance in the situation, though. Hope you won :).

Nah it was like 1-15.

I did stomp his ass in Soul Calibur afterwards though :D

• Options
    Trying out VF5 using a PSNow trial, and it's pretty cool. The tutorial even teaches you some option selects. I can already tell I'm gonna get destroyed by throws in this game.

• Options
    I was moreso asking how the game plays mainly movement.

One of my issues with Tekken is movement feels rigid until you learn more advanced techniques.

VF seems closer to SC where it's a lot more intuitive.

VF is not what I'd describe as intuitive, you can't 8 way run or anything. That said, the distinction between linear and circular attacks is much stronger in VF than T7. I'm not sure if sidestep makes you fully invulnerable to linear attacks, but it works very consistently, unlike Tekken's bum ass sidesteps.

They have a lot of neat ideas about movement, but you gotta read up to make the most of it.

• Options
    It has a lot of similarities to DoA. It kind of has 7-way movement, holding down makes you duck but you can walk in every other direction, tap up or down to sidestep like Tekken. If you press down while already walking you'll keep walking instead of ducking. Attacks are explicitly labeled with the direction they track, sidesteps do seem totally invincible to linear attacks.

I think the most important movement tech I remember from an old video is that every type of movement cancels into forward dash, and forward dash cancels into block? Something like that.

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    simulacrum on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    So Virtua Fighter was back for...four days?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure we all knew that the moment that rollback netcode wasn't announced alongside the game.

I'll still give it a shot. I still subscribe to PlayStation Plus so it's no extra cost to me.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    If nothing else, it'll have a pretty big player-base for a while to compensate for the netcode. Or maybe people still won't care about VF even when it's free. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Deans on
  • Options
    I think the biggest thing VF5 has against itself is that it's a really old version of a game that has never been flashy to begin with.

That was always the complaint 3D games had compared to 2D games and even Tekken and SC have upped the spectacle these days.

• Options
    So how many people around here will be picking up Strive on PC? I meandered back into this thread because I plan to pick it up day 1. Haven't played a GG game while it was relevant in a long time.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i think a fair amount of people on the discord are aiming for PC, or are at least planning to dual purchase it

• Options
    Pcccccc unless it turns out it's trash. Not that I'm on a lot tho

This discussion has been closed.