Options

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    It's absolutely about how much of that conflict being present you're comfortable with.
    Personally, I'm not comfortable with this particular level of it. If others are, that's totally cool. I just think Jess's original defense of it was misguided and a bit silly/naive.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    There is always and has always been bias.

If your job is to give your thoughts and opinions on media, you should be doing everything in your power to demonstrate that those thoughts and opinions are your own and not subject to outside influence.

Like I don't think this is some kind of nuclear event or anything, but it's not "weird" for people to raise their eyebrows at this, and regardless of whether or not GB folks consider themselves proper journalists they have a responsibility to meet their viewership halfway on stuff like this. I like Jess a lot but her take on this is pretty shit.

"Well it's on you to decide if you trust them or not" is not a great take when they're specifically doing something that brings their judgment into question, even if only a little bit. It's a valid concern my dude.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, it's the difference between Abby saying she missed out on the era of payola, trips to Hawaii and Rome to cover some Capcom game, etc and Jeff G going "Actually it sucked because I wanted to cover games and they made me fly all the way to Rome to do it".

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Like I don't think this is some kind of nuclear event or anything,

My apologies for sounding like the tone police but honestly with some of the language being bandied about in this thread I could have been convinced otherwise lol

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    There is always and has always been bias.

If your job is to give your thoughts and opinions on media, you should be doing everything in your power to demonstrate that those thoughts and opinions are your own and not subject to outside influence.

Like I don't think this is some kind of nuclear event or anything, but it's not "weird" for people to raise their eyebrows at this, and regardless of whether or not GB folks consider themselves proper journalists they have a responsibility to meet their viewership halfway on stuff like this. I like Jess a lot but her take on this is pretty shit.

"Well it's on you to decide if you trust them or not" is not a great take when they're specifically doing something that brings their judgment into question, even if only a little bit. It's a valid concern my dude.
    If I wasn't clear I meant people were being weird with the level of outrage

Stuff like "they're just shills now" and "this is why Jeff left" and "this is K&L 2.0" and "corruption" feels like strong hyperbole, imo.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It feels like people who are upset that Giant Bomb is no longer the Giant Bomb they grew up with (which is perfectly reasonable) redirecting that emotion into something that really does not deserve it.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    oh yeah some people are definitely overreacting, but I guess that's the internet for ya

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

Bakalar has my favorite "I'm just a little guy" energy out of the whole cast

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The end of Waypoint's Game Awards stream had a surprise Austin appearance- if you want to hear him gush about Armored Core, he comes in at 3:43:25.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Game of the Year week starts this week in like an hour and a half.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Interesting that they're moving it back from January now that Jeff is gone. Is this something that came down from on high ('Do GotY at the same time as everyone else for that sweet SEO') or was this something that most of the team wanted but Jeff overruled them.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

A bunch of degenerates. Anyway, stream just starting.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Interesting that they're moving it back from January now that Jeff is gone. Is this something that came down from on high ('Do GotY at the same time as everyone else for that sweet SEO') or was this something that most of the team wanted but Jeff overruled them.

i mean for ages it was done now more or less, and then posted between christmas and new years. just not delaying it anymore it seems.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

i mean for ages it was done now more or less, and then posted between christmas and new years. just not delaying it anymore it seems.

The last couple of years that waited until January before recording GotY, so the didn't have anymore "this released last week of december so it didn't get considered" as well as giving people more time to get through their backlog.

• Options
    Watching some of this GOTY stuff I think I just fundamentally disagree with everything Jess says ever.

• Options
    Somebody has to be the Brad now. There's a law and everything.

• Options
    There's something weird about them doing a Metaverse gag to pretend they're all in a room they haven't been in in years, and some of them haven't even been in that room, and also that room no longer exists because they moved out of that building.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I think it's a funny gag that would hit better if Jeff or the nextlander crew were still there.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Watching some of this GOTY stuff I think I just fundamentally disagree with everything Jess says ever.

yup I've always felt this way. I think it's cool she's on staff and has a differing viewpoint but i hate her internet speak persona and jus find I almost never agree with her

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

yup I've always felt this way. I think it's cool she's on staff and has a differing viewpoint but i hate her internet speak persona and jus find I almost never agree with her

Here too.

It's not that I dislike her specific personality, it's that she is everything that I dislike about current net culture personified. Ditto Dan. Minus like 99% of actual shittiness for both to be fair.

• Options
    She's a SA Goon, for better or worse.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    She's a SA Goon, for better or worse.

I personally don't think there's a better when it comes to SA Goons, but I may be biased.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    SA forums took about the same arc that PA forums took, honestly, and Goons are about the same as PA forumers nowadays. The shitlords of yore all moved to 4chan/Twitter/subreddits/etc.

SA forums now are basically just a slightly less moderated, slightly more aggressive PA forums.

admanb on
  • Options
    I used to sign my name to my posts 'Sincerely, <insert my actual real ass name here>" which annoyed the shit out of some of the less polite people on this forum when I first started posting and I eventually stopped.

In retrospect, those assholes probably saved me an enormous headache in the end, because holy shit just me doxxing myself with every post.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    SA forums took about the same arc that PA forums took, honestly, and Goons are about the same as PA forumers nowadays. The shitlords of yore all moved to 4chan/Twitter/subreddits/etc.

SA forums now are basically just a slightly less moderated, slightly more aggressive PA forums.

I don't think the PA forums ever had a bunch of Nazis and shit running around. The SA forums certainly did and really just a bunch of shitty assholes with a shitty culture. They had the Gamergate culture before Gamergate. Maybe it's fine now, idk, but it has an absolute dogshit history of being a haven for transphobes, racists, bullies, and all around crappy people. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say it was 4chan-lite for years.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Here too.

It's not that I dislike her specific personality, it's that she is everything that I dislike about current net culture personified. Ditto Dan. Minus like 99% of actual shittiness for both to be fair.

See, I still enjoy Dan. There's just something about Jess and the weird flippant attitude she has towards somethings that just perplex me. I also find that her "educated" takes on some of her essays to be the kind of stuff a person that had taken an "Intro to Game Design" course would spout off while thinking they're some kind of expert (ie: her thoughts on Horizon's design and use of color as well as her takes on Immortality).

Don't get me wrong, not liking these things is fine. It's just that she acts like there's something "wrong" with how these things were designed when, really, they just aren't her thing.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I watched a good portion of Jess and her fiancé's playthrough of Scorn on their personal Twitch channel and she's completely different there than she is on anything Giantbomb. The two of them are very wholesome and cute together.

I think it's fairly common for very online people and/or Youtube and Twitch streamers to have their online persona and their true offline personality. Sammit, while not video game related, is a very different person on his Youtube videos, Twitch streams, or when he's one someone else's IRL stream (when he's not trying to be his brand and just himself).

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Jason's ongoing bit of pretending to be repulsed by Horizon's visuals as a playful jab at Jess during The Game Awards and now this has been funny each time. I agreed with much of that video but appreciate the dedication and dry exaggerated disgust.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Rehab wrote: »
    Jason's ongoing bit of pretending to be repulsed by Horizon's visuals as a playful jab at Jess during The Game Awards and now this has been funny each time. I agreed with much of that video but appreciate the dedication and dry exaggerated disgust.

It tiptoes on that razors edge of humour where they're obviously just having fun for a bit that they're both okay with, but also touches enough on the kind of online mockery that internet personalities have to put up with, that I cover my hand over my mouth every time Jason does it
    (Also yeah she's absolutely right about Horizon and it reflects on how everyone eventually just binned its nominations on Day 1)

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2022

I don't think the PA forums ever had a bunch of Nazis and shit running around.

Elon Musk's buddy Ian Cheong used to post here. Also that one guy who murdered two people, who was also a Giant Bomb fan. I'm sure there's other very bad people that used to post here.

I mean a few still post here, but they're careful enough to just get jailed and not banned.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

Elon Musk's buddy Ian Cheong used to post here. Also that one guy who murdered two people, who was also a Giant Bomb fan. I'm sure there's other very bad people that used to post here.

I mean a few still post here, but they're careful enough to just get jailed and not banned.

Were they openly posting Nazi shit and the Penny Arcade mods were cool with it? Because that's literally what was happening on SA. I'm not exaggerating when I'm calling it 4chan-lite.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    that isn't true lol

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of Jess but I don't think she's a Nazi so I don't think the rest of SA matters all that much.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular

Were they openly posting Nazi shit and the Penny Arcade mods were cool with it? Because that's literally what was happening on SA. I'm not exaggerating when I'm calling it 4chan-lite.

PA and SA played Eve Online together starting in 2005/2006 since our 'humor' was inline with each other, and that included being shitty. So yes both forums had very shitty components.
    Personally I think that PA moved faster to remove the shitty parts around GamerGate and that was a very good thing.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Six wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Jess but I don't think she's a Nazi so I don't think the rest of SA matters all that much.

ya, anybody who keeps saying "well she's just a goon", what in the world. Also I occasionally will post on the SA forums (maybe a couple times a year these days, if that) and it's not some weird nazi harboring place.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »

PA and SA played Eve Online together starting in 2005/2006 since our 'humor' was inline with each other, and that included being shitty. So yes both forums had very shitty components.
    Personally I think that PA moved faster to remove the shitty parts around GamerGate and that was a very good thing.

A mod decision here or there falls different and PA could have easily descended into the redpill quicksand.

I have looked at my posts from the early days of the forum, and if things had been a little bit different I could easily see that me becoming a nazi shitlord troll. I remember people staging forum raids over at G4 and PVP and a few other sites. Goatse, 10000x10000 pictures of dicks, ranger threads filled with sexy nuns, etc.

We were TERRIBLE. And I think one of the big things that started the work to repair that was something as simple as Gabe & Tycho getting a question at a PAX Q&A about the forum and Gabe's response being "Well... we don't go there, but we're probably not going to just shut it down."

• Options

ya, anybody who keeps saying "well she's just a goon", what in the world. Also I occasionally will post on the SA forums (maybe a couple times a year these days, if that) and it's not some weird nazi harboring place.

Oh I wasn't saying she's scum, I was saying her being a native of the Old Internet explains why she's often too online and her online sensibilities.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    I remember SE++ also used to be called 4chan lite back in the day and some of the posters back then we're proud of it.

• Options

Oh I wasn't saying she's scum, I was saying her being a native of the Old Internet explains why she's often too online and her online sensibilities.

that's bullshit though, I've posted on PA and SA for years and years, like since they started and don't share those sensibilities. It's something people choose to do, she chooses to do it and that's ok, i just bounce off of it.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    That Most Disappointing segment was as unanimous and as much a foregone conclusion as it was in the years Spore and Sim City won by their respective landslides.

The conversation surrounding the Best B Game makes me really want to check out the winner. Sounds like a good time! Also, just starting Best Music now, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge really should have at least been nominated.

NNID: Rehab0