Options

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    These two tracks alone put it in way up there.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    they even got fucking raekwon and ghostface killah to make a track! what the fuck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AeHzp11cwU

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Sakura got robbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDNN-Vw9Ljo

There's absolutely no debate, best skin of the year. You can just do that emote in game and it plays the song and everything.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Okay so the Best Music winner being
    Metal Hellsinger

was 1,000 percent the correct choice. Good on Tam and Bakalar for giving it the push to get it there. Maybe the best winner that category has ever had since it started.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Sakura got robbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDNN-Vw9Ljo

There's absolutely no debate, best skin of the year. You can just do that emote in game and it plays the song and everything.

I think some of that is how late in the year they got in to Fortnite. If this had been brought to Jason's attention we may have seen our first filibuster of this year's deliberations.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Posted about it on the JGS subreddit, but Jeff saying he hung out with Dan and Bakalar at the game awards should hopefully put some conspiracies to bed.

He mentioned that he didn't get to see everyone he would have liked because that usually happens after the event is over and he had to leave early to get home to the kids, but Abby pops up in his Twitch chat and he laments not getting to see her at the show either.

He also laments being distracted for several years and being bad at catching up with friends and colleagues because of stuff in his personal life, so I think Jeff is just that type of guy.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular

He also laments being distracted for several years and being bad at catching up with friends and colleagues because of stuff in his personal life, so I think Jeff is just that type of guy.

I can sympathize with this so much. Between having kids and friends moving away it gets significantly harder to keep up regularly with friends.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Final day, the top 10 games:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTlcuUFdQss

They did scored voting to determine the top 10 out of a list of games, the top 10:
    1. Elden Ring
    2. Vampire Survivors
    3. God of War: Ragnarok
    4. Neon White
    5. Pentiment
    6. Tinykin
    7. Tunic
    8.* Xenoblade Chronicles 3
    8.* Signalis
    10. Sifu
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Signalis tied for 8th
    The full results:
    xOjBmBS.png

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Interesting approach to day three. I hope that past this initial top 50 we don't lose out too much on the usual arguing and absurd statements with the scored voting though. Things shouldn't be too streamlined and civil.

Rehab on
  • Options
    Dans selflessness knows no bounds.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Wow, they used Ranked Choice instead of someone stamping their foot down for an hour until they got their way?

Giant Bomb is truly dead.

Seriously though, it's kind of ironic as I would have loved to see the typical knockdown, drag-out top 10, but without Jeff there. He was just too much of an institution at the end where it felt like sometimes nobody wanted to argue with him. Jess tried for psychonauts and it might have been the most uncomfortable GotY moment outside of the Destiny argument in 2014.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Lol, Tamoor Hussain fucking around with Jan was great.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GOTY spoilers (kind of, silver tier, no actual games mentioned):
    Oh god, Bakalar just provoked the nastiest "Get Fucked" I've ever heard from Lucy James. Holy shit.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Just listening to the audio of this GoTY is kind of insane but not as odd as I thought it may be. Liked a lot of the fun categories this time aroune but did miss "biggest mess" not making an appearance. The best running category had some good discussion and made me want to check out some of those games in particular.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Hottest mess had to die when it stopped being "This company fucked up a game" and started being "sexual assault horror stories/labor abuse/fuckin' nazis"

There's no fun in that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah at this point for hottest mess they either have to deliberately ignore labor/politics/bigotry issues, or they talk about nothing but those and the category is just "here's how the world is bad -- video games edition." Neither option is good.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    well there's no hotter mess than white supremacy, so it got the GOAT for the category

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I do miss best style as a category. Also, I thought having a "best B-game" category with basically a pre-determined winner was kinda lame. Other than that, seemed like a solid GOTY.

A suggestion I'd probably also have is after the discussion part for the top 5 votes, have everyone lock their votes in at the same time (which they might've actually done, idk, didn't seem like it). They can talk about them one at a time or whatever, but it kinda felt like later voters had more power over the list if they were able to freely change their votes but people who had already submitted couldn't. Like, I don't think anyone actually changed their votes once they started being announced, but having it ambiguous if they could felt kinda weird. Anyway, just a minor thing I thought about it, no biggie.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I didn't listen to this year's GOTY, but I think every category ever done for GOTY was made with some specific game in mind as the winner.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Turns out the entire reason to attend a GoTY event was also very specific for some.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    The face of a dog who knows dragons aren’t real

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I don't normally listen to Waypoint Radio but this most recent one with Robert Ashley, they mention both Michael Clayton and Gabriel Knight 2, which have also been recent subjects on Nextlander. Funny how that works.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    https://youtu.be/v6N2BstdkP8

Gizmo and friends discussing 20 undoubtedly very serious game of the year categories in a tight 4 hours and 50 min.

And we know now that Mike didn't murder a certain cohost, so that's good.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The Talky/Doey categories made me want to die, it was a fun time

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    that whole stream was a lot of fun but for me the very best part was the final results of what happened with Fortnite

• Options
    Cool judge indeed! 😎

I liked Horizon constantly getting shit on too across Giant Bomb and Fire Escape. No real personal vendeta against the game or anything, I just found it funny.

• Options
    Even Jeff was cold on it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I am...way out of the loop. When did Gerstmann leave GB? I'm just finding out about this today...

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I am...way out of the loop. When did Gerstmann leave GB? I'm just finding out about this today...

Like, right before E3. May? Early June?

• Options
    edited December 2022
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Earlier this year, in June, right before e3.

Sounds like he was tired of dealing with management and said had been planning on leaving after E3, and when management heard about that, they went "you're not leaving in a few weeks, you're leaving now." And he was unceremoniously gone from the website. No goodbye stream or final podcast, just gone with the remaining staff stuck trying to keep the website alive having lost so much key staff and having to compete against the lies of necked and Jeff himself for subscription money and eyeballs.

Ironically Red Venture sold Giant Bomb to Fandom shortly thereafter, so that managment team might not even be in anymore.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    He got fired in like March or April? He later admitted he had been planning on leaving for a while (several years) due to corporate nonsense and the job not being what he wanted anymore, and was probably going to wait until after E3 this year so he didn't hurt the team during their busy season. Instead, corporate fired him ahead of time and then the remaining crew had to release an awkwardly cold message where they basically barely acknowledged Jeff's existence and the situation at all.

In related news, I cancelled my premium sub today. I thought I had did it already, but they emailed me telling me it would still auto sub even though I removed my payment info. So I made sure to actually cancel.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Thanks for the updates. It's interesting, I'm shocked I'm just learning about it...but not shocked it happened? I could sense Jeff was fed up with the corporate BS for a while. I feel bad for the rest of the crew, who were all basically hired by Jeff, having to release an awkward corporate speak segment about it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I’ve been surprised at how much of what I enjoyed about the GB podcasts was Jeff’s ramblings and reminiscing. I also loved him (and almost exclusively him) playing old games, so his solo content has been right up my alley.

If he and nextlander started tag teaming hour long “fast glimpses” of new games, that would be ideal.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Nextlander got a big sub boost when the Jeff stuff went down, but they've lost users every other month this year and thus have burned a lot that boost off. They'll likely end the year with only a percentage or two of growth with no sign that stabilization is anywhere imminent.

Jeff has also burned off a chunk of patrons since his start, but his channel is still pretty new so I'm not expecting it to stabilize anytime soon. Being a one-man show also means he can get away with less users than Nextlander.

As far as I'm aware, there is no bad blood between them, so I could see the possibility of them joining forces if they're unable to stabalize their patreons, but not for a few years yet.

• Options
    I don’t think it will happen, it’s just what I’d personally like and I assume the world will cater to my needs.

• Options
    I’m confident he’ll be wrong.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

All of these types of lists are wrong, because they never consult the only person whose opinion matters

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    I don’t think it will happen, it’s just what I’d personally like and I assume the world will cater to my needs.

I think any sane person posting in this thread wants this shit. Giantbomb defined my gaming life for years and years. 2008-2021 is a long fucking time.

If Jeff got back with the boys, then I'm having flashbacks to Summer/Fall '08 when my teenage dumb-ass was giddy that Shoemaker and Vinny had moved on over to that new cool upstart Giantbomb.com

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

All of these types of lists are wrong, because they never consult the only person whose opinion matters

"Yeah, mine!"
    -everyone

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter