Options

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I imagine most people's first encounter with Scrooge McDuck is Ducktales.

Whoo-oo!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I don't think most people give much thought to the origin of scrooge mcduck's name.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    sure but I bet they intuitively know that a character named scrooge is a reference to scrooge

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    HyperSplattHyperSplatt Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    My guess is that Dan just thought that Scrooge was an old timey name that was common back in the day, and had no idea that it was made up by Dickens.

HyperSplatt on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah I dunno that seems like a pretty easy one to miss and while it makes for a good Dan story it’s really only interesting because he loudly exclaimed his realization on a podcast.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah this barely registers on the Dan Meter compared to "I didn't know pirates stole stuff, and that's why they have all that gold". It's probably "Oh, Ash Ketchum is a 'catch em' pun" tier

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Dan "egg whites" Ryckert

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah this barely registers on the Dan Meter compared to "I didn't know pirates stole stuff, and that's why they have all that gold". It's probably "Oh, Ash Ketchum is a 'catch em' pun" tier

Oh shit!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I rate it as Dan's Phoenix Down moment, myself.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    if you find yourself on the opposite side of something as dan, that's probably bad for you karma-wise

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I don't think that's fair really. Dan seems like a decent guy who's been pretty sheltered and, as a result, ended up kinda "dumb." But he's also open to learning things and admitting when he's wrong which all makes him way better than whole swaths of the human race.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I would also not discount the propensity for Dan to do things as a bit and not break kayfabe.*

The recent breathing in space thing for example, because he did that months prior on his personal twitch, to the point he did an aftershow wherein he had someone explain to him how breathing and near vacuums work… or don’t, in this instance.

*sometimes he’ll break it a little, as Jeremiah commenting on himself.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I don't think that's fair really. Dan seems like a decent guy who's been pretty sheltered and, as a result, ended up kinda "dumb." But he's also open to learning things and admitting when he's wrong which all makes him way better than whole swaths of the human race.

no im saying that dan has the mandate of heaven and to array yourself against him in any way, materially or philosophically, is to court disaster

• Options
    I dunno, the other night he was doing the "call out airline on social media" thing, and I don't know how that all shook out, but it didn't seem like he was getting help.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i don’t think airlines give a fuck about people complaint on twitter anymore, nobody’s gonna see it anyway

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I dunno, the other night he was doing the "call out airline on social media" thing, and I don't know how that all shook out, but it didn't seem like he was getting help.

He talked about that on Fire Escape actually. He was stuck in airport hell where they kept moving him to different flights and fucking him over for different reasons (one time they moved him to a flight they ASSURED him he would have an open seat for, only for the airline to go ahead and give his seat to someone else when that someone else offered the airline $3000 for it, and said person then went up to Dan and literally bragged to his face about how he took his seat for $3000), and in a fit of 3am desperation he tried @ing the airline, only to then delete it cause he hated that he had done it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Wow that might just be the first significant anecdote I've heard of bad Ryckert luck, and of course it involves having to navigate the byzantine bullshit of flying on an airplane

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

He talked about that on Fire Escape actually. He was stuck in airport hell where they kept moving him to different flights and fucking him over for different reasons (one time they moved him to a flight they ASSURED him he would have an open seat for, only for the airline to go ahead and give his seat to someone else when that someone else offered the airline $3000 for it, and said person then went up to Dan and literally bragged to his face about how he took his seat for $3000), and in a fit of 3am desperation he tried @ing the airline, only to then delete it cause he hated that he had done it.

It would have been very hard for me to not to remind Mr. $3000 that a fool and his money are soon parted.

• Options

It would have been very hard for me to not to remind Mr. $3000 that a fool and his money are soon parted.

He wouldn't hear you because he would be on the plane going home while you're stuck in the terminal.

What are you gonna do, zing the guy? He has money to burn and got the seat. He won.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Suck it, rich guy who got the last toy in the store I wanted to buy for my kid's birthday, I just saved $50 bucks!

• Options
    Bashir: I can't believe you're not pressing charges.

Garak: Constable Odo and Captain Sisko expressed a similar concern, but really doctor, there was no harm done.

Bashir: They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle.

Garak: Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos.

Bashir: Garak, this isn't funny.

Garak: I'm serious, doctor! Thanks to your administrations I'm almost completely healed but the damage I did to them will last a lifetime.

steam_sig.png

• Options

He wouldn't hear you because he would be on the plane going home while you're stuck in the terminal.

What are you gonna do, zing the guy? He has money to burn and got the seat. He won.

Yeah, and that's $3000 for a shitty plane seat (Dan almost certainly wasn't flying first class) on a completely full plane.

I'd rather get stuck at the airport, quite frankly. That's over two months rent for me!

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Jeff playing Mars First Logistics is massively entertaining. Highly recommend.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

Gaming has new a head honcho. A big cheese. A numero uno

• Options
    Still one of my favorite moments out of Waypoint. Or really any Giant Bomb adjacent site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcMjixN2jUY

• Options
    my premium lapsed for the first time in like 12 years or some shit. end of an era

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

God Tam is the best. I know the whole situation with him and Lucy splitting time between Giant Bomb and Gamespot is kinda weird, but I'd put him up with any of the old GB crew any day of the week.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    i like tam a whole lot and was really excited when they were “joining” the group but they’re barely on anything

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i cannot believe that it is the this is what it means to go further beyond moment, that is incredible

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    The super sick Karateka combination-remake-documentary was built in some small part thanks to a certain known internet meme legend

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Yeah, Digital Eclipse has tons of friends of the site working there now. Chris Kohler, Mike Mika, Drew Scanlon, and maybe others?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    GBI on in the background as usual, some old E3 coverage, it’s a small thing but I love this bit where Brad is talking about Alien Isolation and getting ready to go play it, and he and Drew (I assume it’s drew given when it was) step out of the convention center and into the bright LA sun and you can see Drew immediately try to compensate by switching the internal ND Filter into place, literally see it sliding in between lens and sensor, in the camera.

Makes me curious what cameras they were using back then

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Latest Voicemail Dumptruck kind of breaking my mind. Dan discovers that salt is in foods other than food that has visible salt on it or that he has personally put salt on. And also discovers that lots of things he like has vinegar in it, such as hot sauce or BBQ sauce.

Also tells tales of some of his disgusting family/friends of family in Missouri. Taking shots out of the mouths of live fish, taking shots out of a semi-filled bug zapper tray, etc.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    As abjectly insane that all is, "I don't percieve something is present if I cannot visibly see it" is a very prevalent human response, especially in the last few years.

The only silly part I was truly putting my foot down on was when Dan talked about actively avoiding learning about things, but people like Jess already touched on that in the past and at least there is a modicum of self-awareness going on there

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    It's been a few weeks since this thread has seen any updates, so here's a minor one:

Jess recently hosted a Retronauts podcast about Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh. She got two of the actors to guest on it too. I've never played the game and barely watched the playthrough Vinny did on GN years ago, but I am enjoying the discussion so far.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    the start of UPF this week has an all-time story by Jeff Grubb: (WARNING: VERY GROSS)
    Fun bit at the start with Dan talking about how hard it is to make grilled cheese, but the main event starts at 2:10

https://youtu.be/zRrZ_HKjYx8?t=130

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    "Why am I the one with Crohn's" is the real punchline of the whole exchange. 10/10

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Here's the stream(s) of Jan getting his head shaved for not finishing Tears of the Kingdom. He actually looks pretty good!

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Thoroughly convinced he just wanted an excuse to shave his hair, the damn fool

• Options

this fuckin nerd is basically part of the main crew at this point what a goof