They're employed by Fandom, IIRC

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    To shreds you say...

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    It's fucked Jess isn't there yet we have these random other people

Jess seems to have been able to bounce back a little, at least until her husband got laid off by Embracer

It's Jason I feel for, having a family to support while having a disability/chronic illness.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Also yes, these randos are Fandom employees who are probably low totem pole people who aren't paid much anyway. They're the ones hosting these Comic Con fan events that Giant Bomb is weirdly part of, because it's a Fandom event and GB is part of the "Fandom Family" now.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    It's fucked Jess isn't there yet we have these random other people

Jess seems to have been able to bounce back a little, at least until her husband got laid off by Embracer

It's Jason I feel for, having a family to support while having a disability/chronic illness.

The stuff Jason was doing at least seems like it'd be transferrable to other positions. Like, I feel like he'd be qualified for a community manager type thing or something. I know he was a video producer, but I think a lot of stuff he was doing was also like, customer support and the like. Definitely doubt it'd be as interesting or enjoyable as something like Giant Bomb, though.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I imagine the random other people are either paid much less or aren't FTEs.

oh i'm sure that's very true, still stinks though.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I like whenever Broadway's Favorite Son Alex Boniello pops up. Him and Dan have good chemistry.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The GB discord said Jason has had a 9-5 outside of games for a while now, no idea what is is though.

But yeah, the firing and the way the Fandom CEO commented on it in the summer (It was necessary) has probably soured me forever, and I'd need a miracle to resub premium after it runs out in december.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    A Christmas miracle you say?! Is there any correlation between angels getting wings and Premium subscription numbers?

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I feel like Grubb knows games journalists though whereas Jeff, Alex, Brad all knew more actual game developers - which resulted in a better mix of personalities.

Which is fine. Just not what I want from my GB.

I've actually been REALLY enjoying Nextlander lately. It really feels like all three of those guys are putting their best stuff out there right now. The Watchcast in particular has been a huge highlight for me and I'm genuinely happy for how well Alex seems to be doing on all fronts. He's settling into old manhood nicely.

Speaking of the watchcast, I tried listening to it, and...do they change the structure a bit over time? I think the movie audio bits they edit in are mostly too long and distracting, for example

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Nope!

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Darn.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I think it depends on the movie. Like it makes little sense to edit in a clip of guns firing for an entire gunfight.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Good to hear Jason bounced back, though. He was posting a while ago about looking for work, but he hasn't posted about it in a while, so I guess I take it that means he found work (the alternative would be that he gave up). And he restarted his old gaming podcast with his friends so he has that outlet now too.

I'd be surprised if he was doing customer service for GB. Not that he couldn't do it, it's just that he came up as a video guy and SOMEBODY had to be doing stuff when Jan was out. Rorie was customer support for a while before they started shunting those higher up the chain/to somebody else.

I remember my first GB Customer Service email reply that didn't come from Rorie directly. It was like a stranger had taken over a friend's job.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I finally checked out Friday Night Forking and holy shit, how does that guy do that? It's not really my thing, but I can't deny that it's impressive and I hope he's not destroying himself to maintain that energy for that amount of time.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I can only tolerate that dude's nonsense for a few minutes at a time because it is well and truly nonsensical in the most literal sense of the word, but his opening uh, performance to the tune of Lockdown to open up the E3 couch this year was an actual all-timer

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Good to hear Jason bounced back, though. He was posting a while ago about looking for work, but he hasn't posted about it in a while, so I guess I take it that means he found work (the alternative would be that he gave up). And he restarted his old gaming podcast with his friends so he has that outlet now too.

I'd be surprised if he was doing customer service for GB. Not that he couldn't do it, it's just that he came up as a video guy and SOMEBODY had to be doing stuff when Jan was out. Rorie was customer support for a while before they started shunting those higher up the chain/to somebody else.

I remember my first GB Customer Service email reply that didn't come from Rorie directly. It was like a stranger had taken over a friend's job.

I also may have confused Jason and Rorie when I made that post >.>

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    SteevL wrote: »
    I finally checked out Friday Night Forking and holy shit, how does that guy do that? It's not really my thing, but I can't deny that it's impressive and I hope he's not destroying himself to maintain that energy for that amount of time.

Years of practice
    He is/was a TV and theater actor for a decade before he got into Twitch streaming, and FNF has existed for about 3 or so years now

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    https://youtube.com/shorts/v6uPWy964Ic?si=kPqfLm_fQNnl2A97

This is the first short with the new social media approach that I've really liked.

• Options
    HyperSplattHyperSplatt Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I have a sneaking suspicion that today's Dump Truck will go down in Giant Bomb history...or at least Dan Ryckert history.

HyperSplatt on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    The new Blight Club entry being Ride to Hell Retribution is possibly the lowest hanging fruit to ever exist, but boy is that fruit very sweet

(Or rancid, depending on what your outlook on life is/whether or not you are Jeff Grubb)

• Options
    That is definitely gonna be a lot of fun to watch! I only knew a bit about the game going in but holy shit is it is ripe for some MST3K style commentary and just a really aggressively dumb shodily made thing. The story that Dan revealed about the writer of the game joining him and a bunch of guys from a previous outlet as they streamed their playing of the game eventually giving out promo codes for his wifes adult website as the night went on really sets the tone too.

• Options
    Oh hey, some ex Kotaku/Motherboard/etc peeps (including Gita Jackson) are forming a reporting site. Good luck to them, from everything the Remap folks have said about games reporting, things are rough out there.

https://aftermath.site/welcome-to-aftermath

• Options
    edited November 2023
    BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Okay wait I think I was away from the pod when it happened why did Bakalar turn into Human Form Shrek

pgtrqb0wo6pg.jpeg

EDIT: wait shit I think that’s the same frame even just flipped, desaturated and with glasses added

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Side note: I'm listening to the latest Nextlander, and Alex attended a wedding last week for one Drew Scanlon!

• Options
    Good to hear Drew and Alexis finally got together /s

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Finally made my first blog on the community section of the website, lmao

https://www.giantbomb.com/hi-fi-rush/3030-88377/forums/in-praise-of-hi-fi-rush-and-the-goty-2023-categori-1915967/

Is this really what people have been dealing with when they post there? I grew up dealing with vBulletin and even so dealing with the forum tools felt a bit pants lol (esp. the media uploads)

• Options
    I can't decide what's more vestigial, text posts from the staff or text posts from the community.

Anyway, Extra Life was this weekend for GB. A little surprised their Twitch hit 600+ people when I was passing through. Gamespot's simulcast was still in like the 2 digits.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i used to be so excited for extra life every year for the gb streams. crazy i didn’t even know it happened

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i used to be so excited for extra life every year for the gb streams. crazy i didn’t even know it happened

This weekend was Grubb in the morning and Jan&Tam+The GameSpot crew in the afternoon, which had Rorie drop in in the evening until eventually Jan did a solo quiet man stream into the early morning back home

Next weekend is Dan+Crew at his place with the set up he’s been trying to get going, despite technical setbacks going on with him trying to rig up what might be more complex than what his gear may allow for given the troubles he’s been having testing it on his solo streams

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Jan should have argued that The Quiet Dan works just as well.

Edit: Holy shit, someone donated $2,600 to push an earlier stream total over to where Jan would have to play The Quiet Man!

Rehab on
  • Options
    Even though I didn't care for Red Dead Redemption 2 all that much, I didn't know there were people that aggressively down on it that much like Jeff Grubb was lmao
    It was pretty funny watching him articulate all those pain points though

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    You don't remember Dan nearly having a meltdown over that game during GotY that year? I swear if he had a knife he would have been stabbing a copy of that game all during deliberations.

I wonder if he's come around on that game now that he doesn't have to do reviews; that seemed to massively improve his opinion of Death Stranding.

• Options
    Even though I didn't care for Red Dead Redemption 2 all that much, I didn't know there were people that aggressively down on it that much like Jeff Grubb was lmao
    It was pretty funny watching him articulate all those pain points though
    What video/podcast ep was this?

• Options
    So it sounds like GB GOTY will be a live show in front of an audience this year, taking place in Los Angeles.

Sounds about right. For all the issues with Fandom, they seem okay with running these type of front facing audience events in a way that GB of old was seemingly rarely, if ever, given any money to do. Of course, all the events they've done so far seem to be adjacent to LA where their offices are already located, so it might be a convenience thing.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    And people who were there for Mario Party Party 5 thought they were in for a long event. Lets see if a crowd can keep their energy up for an amount of time that is more equal to 200 or so turns.

• Options
    Considering they're advertising guests and stuff (like that Blessing guy from Kinda Funny) I bet it'll be just a live talk show thing with like the slightest hint of being for GOTY purposes, instead of like, "a serious GOTY discussion".

It's a bummer they never did this when Brad was there: his inability to compromise or read the room would have likely been nullified by his well known petrifying fear of speaking in front of large crowds.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Considering they're advertising guests and stuff (like that Blessing guy from Kinda Funny) I bet it'll be just a live talk show thing with like the slightest hint of being for GOTY purposes, instead of like, "a serious GOTY discussion".

It's a bummer they never did this when Brad was there: his inability to compromise or read the room would have likely been nullified by his well known petrifying fear of speaking in front of large crowds.

I mean, I assume it'll be like last year where they don't actually debate GOTY and just do an aggregated ranked list. Which I thought was pretty lame but whatever, if that's how they wanna do it that's fine I guess. I also probably wouldn't want to argue with Dan for 5 hours.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    And people who were there for Mario Party Party 5 thought they were in for a long event. Lets see if a crowd can keep their energy up for an amount of time that is more equal to 200 or so turns.

I was at that event and it's probably the best in person event I've ever attended. Dan finally getting to play the heel in a public setting made watching him get his ass kicked in the end just *cheff kiss*

"YOU'RE THE KINGMAKER, BRAD!" will live in my brain for all time.