Options

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Ooooh shit, somebody activate the (FM)Vinny signal, it's heeeeeereee!!

https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/games/store/the-isle-tide-hotel/9nm9bnsr1k92

There are too many god damn great video games this year. I need a clone to sync my brain with. B)

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    The isle tide hotel was discussed on Nextlanders plan-o-rama. So yeah Vinny saw the FMV signal.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Is it just because it's a new goofy looking FMV game, or does it have any ties to stuff they've done before, like that one where Jenks was secretly the Devil?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    They played the demo on the steam next fest. Also has Richard Brake in it.

https://youtu.be/2LaYNyTX3A0?si=GU29bqq4oBemTehy

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

Incredible visual work on this one, kind of have guesses on how they pulled this off but good lord that fucking got me good

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2023

Incredible visual work on this one, kind of have guesses on how they pulled this off but good lord that fucking got me good

One bit I noticed now, spoilering for those who don’t want the cinema magic (cinemagic?) broken
    When he goes to close the drapes, if you zoom in you can see the tell tale borders of the greenscreen where the chromakey feature of the broadcast software is having trouble keeping up with the overlap along the edges of his beard

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    That was also the guess that I had, but even getting the angle down perfectly for it to play on camera was so well executed

• Options
    Did Dan move back to Minnesota? He's been posting about "the new house" and posting a lot of stuff on Social Media that is Minnesota adjacent.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Did Dan move back to Minnesota? He's been posting about "the new house" and posting a lot of stuff on Social Media that is Minnesota adjacent.

Apparently, yes.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options

part of me wonders if Dan would still be this direct in his pranks these days in an office workspace, I feel he'd probably be a bit more elaborate with his bullshit

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I've said it before, but I highly recommend checking out old Game Informer content with Dan, the Super Replays are hilarious. Especially if Tim Turi is also involved.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    the Overblood 1 Super Replay is GOAT content

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Oh man, someone on the team making the Castlevania Netflix show snuck in the deepest cut reference

ws7mdhuygdtj.png

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Isletide FMV with Nextlander crew and Abby today btw.

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Oh man, someone on the team making the Castlevania Netflix show snuck in the deepest cut reference

ws7mdhuygdtj.png

Someone has to send this to them in discord.

• Options
    I just saw Jason Oestreicher posted it on his Twitter and tagged Nextlander and Brad.

Not sure how much the NL boys use Twitter these days, though.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    This show absolutely fucking kicks ass btw, in case anyone was wondering

• Options
    Confirmed that Brad has seen it and was flattered. Mission accomplished!

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    That is the coolest thing. I was just rewatching that episode a week ago!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    HyperSplattHyperSplatt Registered User regular
    And Brad's 44, so he outlived Mr. Barkerville!

• Options
    I just saw Brad tweeting at somebody who said they work at the studio and were the one who got this reference into the show.

GB fandom in high places.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Werewolves have to live somewhere, man.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It looks like Dragon's Dogma 2 has brought friend of the show Austin Walker to the latest episode of Remap Radio! I don't actually know if there's any way to embed a podcast episode here, they don't appear to post them to their YT channel.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG-hEwy8tmQ

Hitting us with that new era of hashtag-content

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Yeah I guess GB hired themselves a new social media guy and uh, every clip I see makes me realize I probably made the right choice in budgeting my time away from GB.

It's all comedy bits with a bunch of people I don't know.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2023
    A bunch of the new faces are just cross-pollination of guests from Gamespot and whatever gig Grubb/Minotti have going on (and occasionally the same two ladies from Fandom/Honest Trailers). I'm not sure specifically who they have manning the social media account, but I'm guessing Jan's far too busy these days for that shit

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Hmm, when's the last time they had a sale on a premium subscription? I cancelled mine around the time they laid off Jess and Jason, and my subscription is coming up soon. I don't really feel like paying the $50 fee when I'm not going to buy anything from the store with that $15 voucher...assuming they still do that.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    A bunch of the new faces are just cross-pollination of guests from Gamespot and whatever gig Grubb/Minotti have going on (and occasionally the same two ladies from Fandom/Honest Trailers). I'm not sure specifically who they have manning the social media account, but I'm guessing Jan's far too busy these days for that shit

I mean, Jeff and Alex were basically the same way. The guests that came on were people they already knew from their connections through gaming and game journalism.

It's just... Grubb knows different people, so it feels weird.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I feel like Grubb knows games journalists though whereas Jeff, Alex, Brad all knew more actual game developers - which resulted in a better mix of personalities.

Which is fine. Just not what I want from my GB.

I've actually been REALLY enjoying Nextlander lately. It really feels like all three of those guys are putting their best stuff out there right now. The Watchcast in particular has been a huge highlight for me and I'm genuinely happy for how well Alex seems to be doing on all fronts. He's settling into old manhood nicely.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Mortal Kombat: Special Forces might be the worst game on Blight Club yet and that is really saying something after Bubsy 3D and Batman: Dark Tomorrow.

The flying segment near the end of Dark Tomorrow was probably just outdone by level 3 of Special Forces.
    Several super long dark hallways full of guys ready to blow Jax away with rocket and grenade launchers or snipe him before you can react. Followed by a level of incredibly obtuse bullshit.

Mike is a patient man. Especially with Dan chiming in with the likes "well is it fun at least?" as he backtracks down a hallway for the fifth time.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    I caught up on Jeff Grubb's Mortal Kombat playthrough and I gotta say, his crew just shooting the shit and riffing on each other about videogame opinions et al. was a lot more fun than I was expecting. Which is weird because I guess my expectations for straight-up Let's Play content was pretty low

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I caught up on Jeff Grubb's Mortal Kombat playthrough and I gotta say, his crew just shooting the shit and riffing on each other about videogame opinions et al. was a lot more fun than I was expecting. Which is weird because I guess my expectations for straight-up Let's Play content was pretty low

That’s always been the secret for things like that; see Blue Bombin’ and VinnyVania for examples

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Yeah but because I don't know these people, them riffing is much less fun to me.
    SteevL wrote: »
    Hmm, when's the last time they had a sale on a premium subscription? I cancelled mine around the time they laid off Jess and Jason, and my subscription is coming up soon. I don't really feel like paying the $50 fee when I'm not going to buy anything from the store with that $15 voucher...assuming they still do that.

What's the premium sub even get you these days, if everything is free? Access to the archives?
    I've actually been REALLY enjoying Nextlander lately. It really feels like all three of those guys are putting their best stuff out there right now. The Watchcast in particular has been a huge highlight for me and I'm genuinely happy for how well Alex seems to be doing on all fronts. He's settling into old manhood nicely.

Nextlander is great. Maybe their mandated time off and being allowed to set their own schedules really helps them stay refreshed.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    YEEEEAAAAHHHH

nothing bad can happen

THIS THURSDAY! Friday Night Forking returns to Giant Bomb at 5:30pm EST!

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I think of every newer feature that hasn't come back for a second season I'd like to see more Arcade Pit the most. Kind of a toss up between The Very Online Show or Bak 2 Skool for second and Albummer (admittedly had to look up the name) being in third.

Kind of odd that there is no spooky themed feature going on now but I like that there was a recent Demo Derby and there are a ton of games coming out (and there has been a huge increase in Quick Looks since about this time last year).

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Yeah but because I don't know these people, them riffing is much less fun to me.

Not to say it maps exactly but sometimes watching the new crew interact with each other feels like looking into an alternate universe of similar kinds of personalities. The archetypes are still there - the industry insiders, the curmudgeons, the soft(er)-spoken video producers, the one with the insane opinions/anecdotes etc.
    The only thing missing is time and familiarity. Given the chance I think there's a lot to love (but sure, it'll never be quite the same. I get that)

Jess and Jason's absence are still keenly felt, though. In an ideal world they would be yukkin it up on the WEED3 couch with the best of em

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    It's fucked Jess isn't there yet we have these random other people

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I imagine the random other people are either paid much less or aren't FTEs.