As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Max? More like Min

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Even if this turns out terrible it's still magnificent.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

That is definitely...a take on isekai.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The horse's voice doesn't sound like it comes out of that character model, and it's weird.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    The horse's voice doesn't sound like it comes out of that character model, and it's weird.

My impression was that that's kinda the point

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Horsies normally say "Nay", but test audience didn't connect with the character, so the went with something that would be more positive.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

Oh, this show is absolutely someone tricking Netflix into funding their fetish.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Final Space wrapped up its 3rd season with an outrageous cliffhanger. Unfortunately, the series' future is in doubt, so this may actually be the end. I really hope it gets renewed. Such a weird and engaging series, it deserves to be finished properly.

That's disappointing to hear. The show gets compared to Farscape but sharing that aspect is a downer.

• Options
    Don't talk to me about unresolved cliffhangers. I'm a fucking ReBoot fan.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

Spider-Man Unlimited says hi

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Just to really twist the knife, there's the utterly fucking awful Reboot: The Guardian Code series that got made about ten years ago where somehow the CG part looks fucking worse than the original series, and they really really take a big shit on the setting by turning it into yet another fuckawful "kids know about a secret virtual world" piece of trash where the kids, obviously, have to go into the virtual space to fight digital whatever to save... stuff.

It is so very very bad.

• Options
    If they wanted a Code Lyoko remake, just do a Code Lyoko remake. Nowt wrong with that show.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    To make it even worse, it was even Mainframe that made the series (they also made the original series).

I can only hope that anybody who had put any heart into the original series was looooong since departed from the company. It would've bee heartbreaking to work on the excellent original show and then see it utterly gutted and devoured to be excreted into the form of that wretched newer series.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Adult Swim has released the first ep of Tuca & Bertie S2 for free on YouTube and watch it already.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWIhZ0R2H7M

Absalon on
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/hu0O-q7Kf2k

I dunno, I'm not feeling it?

Question from the peanut gallery: Why are they playing Ode to Joy, the EU anthem, when all this pure American shit is going on? Am I missing some sarcastic take?

Also, I might have become to woke, as I look at the line-up and think
    "Yeah, but you were murdering those Indians and taking their lands, kind of insensitive to have them on the team "Rarr-Rarr USA".
    Also, there was still full on slavery going on,
    Ooh.. and after this, something called the Chinese exclusion act came into effect, meaning that girl is fighting for a country that literally kicked all of them out later."

Maybe I'm too jaded, but it just feels...wrong.
    (BTW, I'm not here on a "ooh no, America Bad" rant, but it just looks weird to glorify exactly the opposite of what happened and going "Fuck Yeah! This is it!")

• Options
    I don't expect American creators to know what the EU anthem is, considering most Europeans don't know what it is either.

• Options
    If they wanted a Code Lyoko remake, just do a Code Lyoko remake. Nowt wrong with that show.

Oh, it's so much pettier than that. ReBoot: The Guardian Code was an attempt by Mainframe Studios president Michael Hefferon to revive MP4orce, a show which had already failed once after he created it for his previous employer Berlin Animation Film. He spent twelve years working his way up the ranks of a company so he could skin a cult classic cartoon, drape its carcass over his pet project, and then name the new lead character after his son just to make it extra narcissistic.

This video goes into the details, if you want to suffer under the burden of cursed knowledge:

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Adult Swim has released the first ep of Tuca & Bertie S2 for free on YouTube and watch it already.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWIhZ0R2H7M

That was great. People should watch it.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    I don't expect American creators to know what the EU anthem is, considering most Europeans don't know what it is either.

*Sad council of Europe noises*

• Options
    Maybe it's just an Evangelion reference

• Options
    Dibbit wrote: »

Question from the peanut gallery: Why are they playing Ode to Joy, the EU anthem, when all this pure American shit is going on? Am I missing some sarcastic take?

"Yeah, but you were murdering those Indians and taking their lands, kind of insensitive to have them on the team "Rarr-Rarr USA".
    Ooh.. and after this, something called the Chinese exclusion act came into effect, meaning that girl is fighting for a country that literally kicked all of them out later."

(BTW, I'm not here on a "ooh no, America Bad" rant, but it just looks weird to glorify exactly the opposite of what happened and going "Fuck Yeah! This is it!")

Don't you think that's supposed to be part of the joke? It seems like what they're going for is the Revolutionary War filtered through the lens of Superfriends or G.I. Joe. Those types of Saturday morning cartoons would try to appear inclusive, even if it meant inventing new characters who weren't in the source material like Apache Chief, Samurai, or El Dorado. That's what the people behind this movie are referencing by reverse-whitewashing actual history. That also explains why Abraham Lincoln is there, 100 year early. It's a joke about how characters would sometimes get shoehorned into places they don't belong just because they have name-recognition.

• Options
    Dibbit wrote: »

Don't you think that's supposed to be part of the joke? It seems like what they're going for is the Revolutionary War filtered through the lens of Superfriends or G.I. Joe. Those types of Saturday morning cartoons would try to appear inclusive, even if it meant inventing new characters who weren't in the source material like Apache Chief, Samurai, or El Dorado. That's what the people behind this movie are referencing by reverse-whitewashing actual history. That also explains why Abraham Lincoln is there, 100 year early. It's a joke about how characters would sometimes get shoehorned into places they don't belong just because they have name-recognition.

Yeah, I thought about that, but it doesn't really feel like it, but then again, it's a minute long trailer, so you could be 100% right.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    someone mentioned reBoot? This is making the rounds (10min HD 4K AI Upscale Sample)
    https://youtu.be/_g4Zs14Qpw8

Pailryder on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    This video goes into the details, if you want to suffer under the burden of cursed knowledge:
    I don't.

Of all the umpteen ReBoot reboots that were attempted and then fell through, it adds extra sting that it was the fucking Guardian Code that wound up being the one that saw the light of day.

Season 3 ending is probably the best stopping point, unresolved Daemon plot aside.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I don't.

Of all the umpteen ReBoot reboots that were attempted and then fell through, it adds extra sting that it was the fucking Guardian Code that wound up being the one that saw the light of day.

Season 3 ending is probably the best stopping point, unresolved Daemon plot aside.

I will say that Mike the TV as a literal televangelist complete with pompadeur was hilarious.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Season 4 had a lot of interesting ideas. Too many, considering how it ended.
    • Matrix and Enzo slowly figuring out their dynamic in a world where they both coexist.
    • The political unrest with the neo-virals.
    • Seeing a bunch of characters reBoot inside a game for the first time ever, including Hex, Hack & Slash, technically Megabyte.
    • Working on a way to reverse nullification and possibly even restore Lost Angles.

I wouldn't want to lose all that just because they couldn't stick the landing.
    I'm now I'm realizing ReBoot season 4 is the Mass Effect 3 of television.

• Options
    Season 4 had a lot of interesting ideas. Too many, considering how it ended.
    • Matrix and Enzo slowly figuring out their dynamic in a world where they both coexist.
    • The political unrest with the neo-virals.
    • Seeing a bunch of characters reBoot inside a game for the first time ever, including Hex, Hack & Slash, technically Megabyte.
    • Working on a way to reverse nullification and possibly even restore Lost Angles.

I wouldn't want to lose all that just because they couldn't stick the landing.
    I'm now I'm realizing ReBoot season 4 is the Mass Effect 3 of television.

Mass Effect 3 had the better part of a decade to come up with multiple endings that weren't a giant stinking planet-sized turd after all that effort.

ReBoot just didn't know it was going to end on S4 and got screwed, which had already happened once due to broadcaster bullshit and then I think internal Mainframe politics almost tanked it one or two other times.

But that's a series I would not at all mind seeing brought back. I definitely enjoyed the conceits of their digital world, plus the fact that there was absolutely zero interaction with or presence of humans outside games showing up. And for a kids show, the writing still holds up surprisingly well.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Disney+ are doing a Chip 'n' Dale series, but sadly it's not Rescue Rangers. Also it's completely non-verbal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfVQp6tE0WE

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Disney+ are doing a Chip 'n' Dale series, but sadly it's not Rescue Rangers. Also it's completely non-verbal.

Apart from classic chipmunk noises, hopefully.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Also needs Donald Duck

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Also needs Donald Duck

I think that might still count as non-verbal.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Has anyone else watched Luca yet? It was hardly the best Pixar movie, but not the worst. Somewhere between Onward and Soul in quality to me.
    I think my main issue is that it felt overstuffed and also too flimsy? Like maybe if they took out the main antagonist or at least downplayed him, Ratatouille-style, they could have fleshed out the main protagonists some more.

I wonder if it would help if they went all out as a "coming out" story. Like, in the first act, I was like "...they have to know the context, right," but by the second act, it still sort of works, but less a gay romance and more a possibly unrequited love triangle.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Has anyone else watched Luca yet? It was hardly the best Pixar movie, but not the worst. Somewhere between Onward and Soul in quality to me.
    I think my main issue is that it felt overstuffed and also too flimsy? Like maybe if they took out the main antagonist or at least downplayed him, Ratatouille-style, they could have fleshed out the main protagonists some more.

I wonder if it would help if they went all out as a "coming out" story. Like, in the first act, I was like "...they have to know the context, right," but by the second act, it still sort of works, but less a gay romance and more a possibly unrequited love triangle.

Now I'm curious as to your ranking.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

Now I'm curious as to your ranking.

Oh noooo, not posting charts, that's the thing in life I don't like. How will I okayherewego
    Pixar Rankings
    Wall-E
    Inside Out
    Toy Story 3
    Soul
    The Incredibles
    Coco
    Toy Story 2
    Ratatouille
    Up
    Luca
    Toy Story 4
    The Incredibles 2
    Finding Dory
    Monster's Inc
    Finding Nemo
    Toy Story
    Brave
    Onward
    Monster's University
    Bug's Life
    The Good Dinosaur
    Cars

Didn't Watch
    Cars 2
    Cars 3

It could possibly stand to see some revisions, admittedly.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    That's a good list

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    It's amazing how far down the list you have to go before you start getting to the merely "ok" movies. Noting that I haven't seen onward or dinosaur, the cutoff is somewhere around Monster's U.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You should absolutely watch Cars 3, though.

• Options
    Because it's so good or because it's soo bad?

• Options
    So far the only movie I'd call bad is Cars 2

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    You should absolutely watch Cars 3, though.

It's still really weird they named the sequel to the first movie Cars 3, skipping right over 2 in naming was a bold choice. :razz:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Good Dinosaur is a fine coming-of-age quasi-western with absurdly detailed and convincing nature backgrounds. A very simple movie, for good or ill.