As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Novel Novel [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And just now!

My fucking landlord decided now was the time for me to hear about HER enlightened opinion on how horrible the vaccine is!

And, I don't know why, but I said I've lost people to COVID and she did this little smile and said "Are you sure it was COVID?"

Lady, fuck you. If I didn't have to stay here for another year while I finished clearing out my student loans I would paid the money to break my lease right now because of that shit.

Holy shit, pardon me, but your landlord is a piece of human garbage.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that at all.

This I already knew

Her halloween costume was her husband dressed up in a gorilla suit with a leash on it while she wore a Civil War uniform.

This I also found out recently.

:hydra:

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Aaaand we've just hit record (but likely not peak) banana pants clown shoes.

"SCOOP: Tennessee Department of Health halts all vaccine outreach to kids – not just for COVID-19, but all diseases – amid pressure from GOP. Staff ordered to remove the agency logo from any documents providing vaccine info to the public, per internal dox."
    - Brett Kelman writes for the Tennesean.

There we are, Republicans have gone all in on "team virus".

Fuck. Me. *headdesk*

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    And just now!

My fucking landlord decided now was the time for me to hear about HER enlightened opinion on how horrible the vaccine is!

And, I don't know why, but I said I've lost people to COVID and she did this little smile and said "Are you sure it was COVID?"

Lady, fuck you. If I didn't have to stay here for another year while I finished clearing out my student loans I would paid the money to break my lease right now because of that shit.

Holy shit, pardon me, but your landlord is a piece of human garbage.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that at all.

This I already knew

Her halloween costume was her husband dressed up in a gorilla suit with a leash on it while she wore a Civil War uniform.

This I also found out recently.

I generally don't agree with Sherman's solution of just burning everything to the ground. But...

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I think she may the first 80 year old woman I’ve wanted to deck.

I don’t even like fighting or hitting people and I rarely consider it, but that shit today got my blood boiling

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Between your landlady and ... TN in general, I think I need a drink

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That little smile is a thing you get from people who believe they are the keepers of The Truth. It's the grotesque version of the response people who won't shut up about the Zodiac have when a horoscope isn't totally off base.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

"SCOOP: Tennessee Department of Health halts all vaccine outreach to kids – not just for COVID-19, but all diseases – amid pressure from GOP. Staff ordered to remove the agency logo from any documents providing vaccine info to the public, per internal dox."

Fuck. Me. *headdesk*

"Letting our children die of preventable disease to own the libs" is a bridge even I didn't think they'd cross, but here we are.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    That little smile is a thing you get from people who believe they are the keepers of The Truth. It's the grotesque version of the response people who won't shut up about the Zodiac have when a horoscope isn't totally off base.

Oh I know it. The douche who revealed the Military/Wuhan connection to my utter dismay did the same thing right when he said "OH IT WASN'T THE CHINESE WHO MADE IT."

God I just fucking hate people in general right now.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021

Fuck. Me. *headdesk*

"Letting our children die of preventable disease to own the libs" is a bridge even I didn't think they'd cross, but here we are.

Death Cult gonna Death Cult

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Corvus wrote: »
    I'm just saying

Fuck. Me. *headdesk*

"Why do we even need a health department?"

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Fuck. Me. *headdesk*

But why can't they just go Death Cult somewhere else and leave my family and friends out of it.

Assholes.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    See this is why I hate the "if only we can reach them" they literally are now saying fuck you to all vaccines, HOW CAN YOU REACH THAT?!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    See this is why I hate the "if only we can reach them" they literally are now saying fuck you to all vaccines, HOW CAN YOU REACH THAT?!

Nerf bat?

• Options

There isn't really any alternative is the thing. So long as they continue to breathe they continue to be a threat to my respiratory system.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

There isn't really any alternative is the thing. So long as they continue to breathe they continue to be a threat to my respiratory system.

But if they respond to a covid vaccine by now encouraging no vaccines how do you reach that? How do you help someone who literally wants to kill their own citizens with preventable diseases and unleash new variants through their stupidity?

This is like a toddler with a gun spinning around the room just shooting.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

you can't

enough people will have to die that they personally know that they may silently get vaccinated at some point in the future

maybe

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

you can't

enough people will have to die that they personally know that they may silently get vaccinated at some point in the future

maybe

Or enough people will have to die that it'll start effecting the demographics of elections, considering the ratio of vaccinated to unvaxxed who are dying.

This is what they're actually risking by doing this in an effort to "OWN THE LIBS."

• Options

you can't

maybe

Or enough people will have to die that it'll start effecting the demographics of elections, considering the ratio of vaccinated to unvaxxed who are dying.

This is what they're actually risking by doing this in an effort to "OWN THE LIBS."

covid isn't nearly deadly enough to affect elections that way and it's still more deadly in urban areas just because of proximity

• Options

you can't

maybe

covid isn't nearly deadly enough to affect elections that way and it's still more deadly in urban areas just because of proximity

They're turning against vaccines in total, not just COVID, simply because a democrat president in office is pushing for them.

• Options

you can't

maybe

They're turning against vaccines in total, not just COVID, simply because a democrat president in office is pushing for them.

and modern medicine (hospitals and etc.) will save the vast majority of them

they're complete idiots, but most of them aren't in real danger of dying from it

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I'm just saying

Fuck. Me. *headdesk*

"Why do we even need a health department?"

One of TN's legislators actually has asked to dissolve the Department of Health altogether, going by the official who was fired for doing her job.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Additionally, the health department will take steps to ensure it no longer sends postcards or other notices reminding teenagers to get their second dose of the coronavirus vaccines. Postcards will still be sent to adults, but teens will be excluded from the mailing list so the postcards are not “potentially interpreted as solicitation to minors,” the report states.
    This is one of the most bizarre things

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    People getting vaccinated = people taking COVID-19 seriously = Democrats = threats to "democracy" = non-persons who don't deserve protection of the state.

The cruelty is the point.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Additionally, the health department will take steps to ensure it no longer sends postcards or other notices reminding teenagers to get their second dose of the coronavirus vaccines. Postcards will still be sent to adults, but teens will be excluded from the mailing list so the postcards are not “potentially interpreted as solicitation to minors,” the report states.
    This is one of the most bizarre things

They don't want anyone corrupting / teaching their children the wrong things and turning them away from the Truth.
    It's (part of) a desperate effort to keep the next generation(s) ignorant and indoctrinated.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

you can't

maybe

You sure about that with Delta? Heard Delta wasn't just quicker spreading it was harder hitting as well.

GiantGeek2020 on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

you can't

maybe

You sure about that with Delta? Heard Delta wasn't just quicker spreading it was harder hitting as well.

Also younger demographics - of the relatively small number of cases in Australia with Delta right now we've got 14 under the age of 55, 8 under the age of 35 and 1 is an 18 year old in ICU.

It's a small sample size, but unvaccinated Delta seems to be pretty damn brutal.

• Options
    covid has what? between 1 and 2 percent fatality rate?

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Not even, I believe improving experience in clinical treatment reduced it down to around ~0.3 - 0.5% range. With the majority of that being the elderly. Of course that was the OG strain.

Now that may not seem like much, but seeing as how 2016 was literally decided by some ~10,000 votes in certain states... it actually may be enough to change election results in places.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    StarZapper wrote: »

Not even, I believe improving experience in clinical treatment reduced it down to around ~0.3 - 0.5% range. With the majority of that being the elderly. Of course that was the OG strain.

Now that may not seem like much, but seeing as how 2016 was literally decided by some ~10,000 votes in certain states... it actually may be enough to change election results in places.

Not vaccinating your children has about a 20 year delay on also creating new democrats (or killing new republicans): the parents are vaccinated, and the teenagers either realize that they're parents are endangering their lives (because the parents always go nuts on the "you've betrayed me by getting vaccinated as an adult!), or they don't in which case most of the vaccine preventable diseases are you know, lethal or crippling in some way if they start spreading.

• Options
    edited July 2021

you can't

maybe

they're complete idiots, but most of them aren't in real danger of dying from it

Our hospitals got overrun with COVID and caused a national crisis.

What happens if that shit happens with measels, mumps, and polio ON TOP of the delta variant of COVID? And what about what's next? Climate change is predicted to accelerate pandemics, so what happens when we keep stacking that shit on top? What if the next one is 2 years out?

This sudden turn into complete contrarianism is fucking bad. Like, "I don't think we're even to the worst part of the death toll from coming epidemics and pandemics" kind of bad. The right wing blocs used to be the ones who got vaccinated while everyone laughed at the upper class Cali anti-vaxxer idiots, and now we've got over a hundred million people who are anti vaccination.

I don't understand how you don't see this as bad as it is.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

you can't

maybe

What happens if that shit happens with measels, mumps, and polio ON TOP of the delta variant of COVID? And what about what's next? Climate change is predicted to accelerate pandemics, so what happens when we keep stacking that shit on top? What if the next one is 2 years out?

This sudden turn into complete contrarianism is fucking bad. Like, "I don't think we're even to the worst part of the death toll from coming epidemics and pandemics" kind of bad. The right wing blocs used to be the ones who got vaccinated while everyone laughed at the upper class Cali anti-vaxxer idiots, and now we've got over a hundred million people who are anti vaccination.

No, Conservatives have always been more skeptical of vaccination and had lower rates than others going back to Polio. Not as much as black people, but not much more than.

• Options

you can't

maybe

No, Conservatives have always been more skeptical of vaccination and had lower rates than others going back to Polio. Not as much as black people, but not much more than.

Okay I'm looking at stuff and yeah, the hesitancy rate was higher, I was wrong

But it was never this high

• Options

you can't

maybe

They're essentially waiting for a visible catastrophe near them. Y2K was an actual, serious problem: a huge amount of work verifying and updating industrial and civil utility controllers and software ensured that nothing actually happened, because the problem was pretty severe - not civilization ending, but certainly "no electricity for 6 months while we try to figure out how to black start the grid" severe. However, since it was mitigated, and largely invisibly unless you were in a very specific field in that time, people think it really wasn't ever that bad. Not that it was fixed.

This is what's happening now with vaccines and conservatives: opposition to vaccination, and not vaccinating their children hasn't resulted in any mass casualty / mass graves issues so of course vaccines aren't really necessary, and the "fun" of opposing them is more important to them. Every now again someone's kid dies preventably, but that's someone else and easily dismissed.

What they're all waiting for is to see something bad happen from their opinions, and it keeps not happening so they keep escalating it. I don't think it's going to stop till some small town where anti-vaxxers gain dominance gets more or less wiped out - something in living memory. Because the problem is it's all based on what they feel is true, and what they feel is that nothing ever really happens from their opinions - at least not to solid conservatives in small towns where disease spreads slowly and anyone who doesn't fit in is driven out.

• Options

you can't

maybe

They're essentially waiting for a visible catastrophe near them. Y2K was an actual, serious problem: a huge amount of work verifying and updating industrial and civil utility controllers and software ensured that nothing actually happened, because the problem was pretty severe - not civilization ending, but certainly "no electricity for 6 months while we try to figure out how to black start the grid" severe. However, since it was mitigated, and largely invisibly unless you were in a very specific field in that time, people think it really wasn't ever that bad. Not that it was fixed.

This is what's happening now with vaccines and conservatives: opposition to vaccination, and not vaccinating their children hasn't resulted in any mass casualty / mass graves issues so of course vaccines aren't really necessary, and the "fun" of opposing them is more important to them. Every now again someone's kid dies preventably, but that's someone else and easily dismissed.

What they're all waiting for is to see something bad happen from their opinions, and it keeps not happening so they keep escalating it. I don't think it's going to stop till some small town where anti-vaxxers gain dominance gets more or less wiped out - something in living memory. Because the problem is it's all based on what they feel is true, and what they feel is that nothing ever really happens from their opinions - at least not to solid conservatives in small towns where disease spreads slowly and anyone who doesn't fit in is driven out.

Don't forget

Even if it does happen, it's because a Democrat is in the white house

• Options
    also: when they can get a free ride (on herd immunity, public facilities and services and other things paid for by other people's taxes, etc) and avoid the personal risks, offload the externalities, make others pay the costs - that's "smart". They're morally justified (when they think about it at all) because "I already pay too much for things I never use".

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Except when two thirds of a state is refusing to vaccinate they can't get a free ride on herd immunity.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Except when two thirds of a state is refusing to vaccinate they can't get a free ride on herd immunity.

That's one of many reasons why it's stupid. They still think it, though.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

you can't

maybe

There are people who with their last breaths as they die of COVID deny that they are dying from it. Their last moments alive, they're insisting that they're dying from asthma or undiagnosed lung cancer or the flu or whatever. These people cannot be reached when it is literally themselves who are affected. And for every one of them, there will be 99.whatever more who don't die and continue to not be reached. Why would they be shaken if even all of their relatives die, if their own deaths aren't enough to shake them?

If they will watch themselves die without breaking their delusions, they will watch all their children die without missing a step.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

you can't

maybe

There are people who with their last breaths as they die of COVID deny that they are dying from it. Their last moments alive, they're insisting that they're dying from asthma or undiagnosed lung cancer or the flu or whatever. These people cannot be reached when it is literally themselves who are affected. And for every one of them, there will be 99.whatever more who don't die and continue to not be reached. Why would they be shaken if even all of their relatives die, if their own deaths aren't enough to shake them?

If they will watch themselves die without breaking their delusions, they will watch all their children die without missing a step.

I dunno. I hate myself way more than I hate my children.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »

you can't

maybe

I dunno. I hate myself way more than I hate my children.

The thing is this is already happening: magical thinking that nothing bad will happen right up till their children do die, and then tearful facebook posts about how they should've listened to doctors after the fact...which is ignored by the community which created them.

That's the real danger: the magical thinking. And it's got precedent all through human history - modern scientific reason is an absolute aberration in this regard.

This discussion has been closed.