Games you thought were gonna be good

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Icewind Dale 2.

My only dissapointment with IWD2 was that it kept crashing for me.... Oh well, only cost me 10 bucks...

For me it was Elder Scrolls II: Morrowind... I just couldnt get into that game in any way, it just felt so, blah... It had pretty terrain though...

Morrowind was the third in the series. :P

Fable disappointed me because it wasn't what I thought it would be (all the hype led me to believe it would be open like Morrowind which was my favorite game at the time). After getting over that and playing it on the computer (it took me awhile to get over that, heh) I found it to actually be enjoyable, if really, REALLY linear.

FFTA was another game. I love FFT so much, but when I played FFTA I couldn't stand it. There is nothing about it I like. I tried so hard too. :|

Oh noes! Typos!

I never bothered with Fable when it first came out, only played it a couple years later when my friends bought the PC version and insisted I try it... I installed it, played it for a couple hours, and then, just never seemed to have any desire to start the game again for some reason, not even really sure why.
    sp1ttle wrote: »
    Star Wars: Force Commander

A RTS set in the OT? Yes please.
    Then I actually played the game. :x

Yeah, that reminds me... Empire at War as well... Though obviously it was nowhere near as downright pure shit that Force Commander was, EaW wasnt my cup of tea either...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Blood 2. It still hurts thinking about it, actually. The first one was so very good. It did just about everything right. The second one was almost the complete opposite and did everything wrong. Edge did a glowing "copy and paste from the press release" review, which made me stop buying the magazine.

Star Wars Galaxies. Seriously, how is this not a license to print money? How can a Star Wars MMOG possibly fail? And yet somehow they managed to do it.

/spit

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zephos wrote: »
    i dont know what version of Spider-man 3 everyone else was playing but i loved it start to finish.

Same. I had actually planned to ship it back just 'cause everyone said it was so horrible. But then I thought "Nah, my expectations aren't high, I'll give it a go", and I'm loving it. All I wanted was for it to be better than Spider-Man 2, and it is. So I'm happy.

Anyway, I was vastly disappointed by Diablo 2. I bought it at a midnight opening, I was so excited. I LOVED Diablo 1. I had watched all the cinemas that had previously been released - I was ready for the sequel. I installed it, and my first impression was that it looked aesthetically worse than Diablo 1. Fine, ok, I could live with that. I then start playing, and I find myself really hating the outdoors; all the ambience and atmosphere from the first one was completely gone. I enter a cave, I die, and... I'm met with a fucking MMO death system. The skill system was incredibly un-intuitive, and the gameplay just didn't feel as solid - it just kept throwing shit at you with no remorse; the first game did this too, but it was more relaxed about it.

OK, OK, I played on and on, hoping it would get better, and by the time I reached the Jungle place, I just stopped giving a shit. It just felt so worthless compared to the first game.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Gears of War. This game had been hyped to me by every store, magazine and virtually every 360 owner I knew, so it was one of the first games I bought when I got a 360, and I really just didn't care for it. The gameplay was far too slow (the duck, pop out and shoot, roll to a new position, repeat thing) and it really didn't feel like anything new. Just a much nicer looking version of kill.switch, which wasn't very good in the first place.

And of course, every fucking person that comes over wants to play fucking GoW co-op with me. Ugh.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    KOTOR.

And I realize that it's a great game in a great genre for a great many people. But I discovered I hate the genre, so it wasn't worth my money.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Matrix Online. How could you mess that up? An online game about living in an online world in which you can stop bullets and know kung fu and shit...

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Will I get chased off the forum with pitchforks and torches if I say Disgaea? I don't dislike the game, per se. I just feel like the game forces me to do tedious combat for several hours so I can see a minute of admittedly-good storyline.

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Will I get chased off the forum with pitchforks and torches if I say Disgaea? I don't dislike the game, per se. I just feel like the game forces me to do tedious combat for several hours so I can see a minute of admittedly-good storyline.

*whispers* I didn't like it either. Don't tell nobody, 'kay?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »

*whispers* I didn't like it either. Don't tell nobody, 'kay?

Agreed. It's not terrible, but NI games are far too cookie-cutter for my liking, and lack even an ounce of the so-called strategy somewhat essential to being a proper SRPG.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    FFVIII is the best selling Final Fantasy.

Where did you read this?

According to Wikipedia:

Final Fantasy VII (9.8 million, includes Final Fantasy VII International)
    Final Fantasy VIII (6 million)
    Final Fantasy X (5 million)

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not purchases, but pretty much every Sonic game until Shadow the Hedgehog. That's about where I gave up.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Everyone fawn over Baldur's Gate and how the story and characters are so awesome (and they is from what bits I played) but that bullshit AD&D system pisses me off to no end. Counterintuitive system that lets me watch combatants land a blow maybe once out of every twenty attempted? No thanks.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Superman 64

I got fucked so hard on that one.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    HAKdragon wrote: »
    Black and White

Seconded as hard as I can. Too few levels, levels were tedious, and in the last level they change your character's disposition on you which basically shoots all your strategies to shit and you die.

Anyhow, I want to throw in my hat for a few games her. Auto Modelista and PN03 are at the top of my list. In both cases reviews were awful but I had heard good things from a few forumers that I should have ignored.

EDIT: Also Lost in Blue. The idea was cool, but it was just waaaaaaaay too hard to get your characters to a point where you could actually survive long enough to explore anything.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i just revisited this thread and was reading.

oh my god

wario ware touched.

i fucking bought it day one, never having played a wario ware game.... after i had ran through the game in like 2 hours (granted hadn't played all the micro games obviously but most) i was like what the fuck, and traded it back in that day.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Gears of War. This game had been hyped to me by every store, magazine and virtually every 360 owner I knew, so it was one of the first games I bought when I got a 360, and I really just didn't care for it. The gameplay was far too slow (the duck, pop out and shoot, roll to a new position, repeat thing) and it really didn't feel like anything new. Just a much nicer looking version of kill.switch, which wasn't very good in the first place.

And of course, every fucking person that comes over wants to play fucking GoW co-op with me. Ugh.

My brother and I had already beaten it, and I still picked it up when I got a 360 because it's casual fun and great to show off the 'next gen' to friends and such. But was it nearly as good as everyone said? Not even close.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not sure which number I am, but I agree with FFTA. It just didn't feel right at all, but felt clunky.

Also, PlanetSide. Oh god, it sounded so awesome.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Catan.

And what really hurts is that the game is solid, but I can't connect to anybody to save my life. I can't invite people. I can't accept invites, and it's a rare day when I make it through a ranked match without dropping and squaring off against the AI.

I didn't buy Catan to play the AI. I bought it to play against friends, but the shoddy netcode won't let me.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Quake 4

Everyone was expecting the awesomeness of Quake 2 SP combined with the awesomeness of Quake 3 MP, packaged in a sweet next-generation dynamically lit pixel-shaded costume, but what it all ended up in was a big "meh".

I mean, most of the SP campaign was ok (except for all the unneccesary vehicle sequences which felt like they had been added on without any reason except "every other FPS has vehicles so we need to have them too"), but nothing exceptional, and who would have known that a fast deathmatch-style MP game didn't really benefit from dynamic lighting and fancy graphics (instead they just made everyone's computer run slow as crap, which made the whole game a big lag-fest). But yeah, expectations were not met, hence disappointment.

Grudge on
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Brute Force.

I followed that game for months. Buying every issue of OXM that had the faintest mention of it.
    Heck, Digital Anvil even had a few guys from Bungie come in to help...

And it blew. Hard. It was pretty, I'll admit... But there was little to no gameplay. The highly-touted "tactical" game was nothing but a glorified shooter with unlimited lives... And the later levels just sucked the life out of you (fire asteroids to kill the boss..... Ugh).

But the worst offender was...

CONTACT.

I drowned in the forum hype and washed ashore in nostalgia hell.

Instead of a quirky, Earthbound-esque RPG (of "epic, post-modern levels) I get a boring combat system... Endless grinding... And a series of questionable design choices (the "go back and wear a different costume to unlock a door x4" puzzle... GRAAH). I'm close to the end (Some dragon fight) and I haven't touched it since.

It's the one game in my DS library I haven't finished.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Civ 3 and SWG were both a waste of time and money for me. Oblivion kinda falls into this category too, but it has a enough cool parts that redeem most of the rest.

Civ 3 just felt like the original Civilization with better graphics, which would have been fine if Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri hadn't been such huge improvements. The combat system in Civ 3 was so lame it really ruined the rest of the game for me. I mean, great, woo, I can build a great big empire, but my tanks die against musket guys in the neighboring nation that's 200 years behind me? Gimme a break.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    bobertoboberto Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Super Paper Mario, for sure. If only it was just pure platforming without all the downtime I'm sure I would have beat it.

boberto on
    El+Boberto.png
    Wii code: 3958 1709 0590 7018
  • Options
    bobertoboberto Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    CONTACT.

I drowned in the forum hype and washed ashore in nostalgia hell.

Instead of a quirky, Earthbound-esque RPG (of "epic, post-modern levels) I get a boring combat system... Endless grinding... And a series of questionable design choices (the "go back and wear a different costume to unlock a door x4" puzzle... GRAAH). I'm close to the end (Some dragon fight) and I haven't touched it since.

It's the one game in my DS library I haven't finished.

Agreed here as well. Contact as a huge disappointment. It was really funny and quirky but the combat and grinding were so bad and the rest of the game was not rewarding enough to bother playing more than the first few hours.

boberto on
    El+Boberto.png
    Wii code: 3958 1709 0590 7018
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FF8 is probably, to this day, the worst letdown I have ever experienced in a videogame. I liked FF7, but not nearly as much as FF6, so I thought "Now that they've gotten over the whole 'pretty graphics' phenomenon, maybe they can focus on bringing the story and characters back up to FF6-caliber."

I guess not. FF8 was pretty, it gets points there. But the "Draw" system was a terrible idea, and the game made it even easier than FF7's materia system did to make your characters exact copies of one another, with the very minimal exceptions of Limit Breaks. The story was bleh, most of the characters were completely forgettable (Irvine gets points for the cowboy theme, but that's about it), and the "twist" at the end where
    they all just happen to be from the same orphanage and Edea was their nanny?
    Ugh. And then there was the "alternate" story with Laguna and his buddies...

At least they bounced it back up a notch with FF9.

I can see why a lot of people are calling out Fable. I read a lot of the hype leading up to that one, but I never had an X-Box to play it, so I didn't wind up playing it until the Lost Chapters came out for PC. By that time, I had also heard about all the letdowns when people found out it wasn't the huge experience it was supposed to have been, so I was prepared for just a fun romp through a neat little RPG, which I got. I thought it was a passable enough game, and I had fun with it, but I can see how a lot of people were severely peeved about it.

*Edit* And oh Sweet Baby Jesus, Star Wars: Galaxies. I couldn't wait to get my hands on that game. There's a special place in the underworld for everyone responsible for that travesty.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kameo, Donkey Kong Country 64.

I guess I trusted Rare. Kameo was okay, but not really great. It looks good, but controls like ass.

Samphis on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    KG3000 wrote: »
    Masters of Orion 3. How could they mess it up that badly......

Oh god, I don't think I've ever *Tried* to like a game more than I did with MOO3... it was terrible, and it tooks me 2 solid weeks of playing to finally admit it. I'll second FF8, but thats mostly personal preference.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Contact sort of let me down. The ending I thought was rather touching, but the gameplay just left me going "Thats it?" I know there is a lot of after-game stuff, and plenty of side quest, but still, thats it?

Puzzle Quest left me pretty bleh. It just annoyed the hell out of me how often the AI got lucky would get these massive heroic chains falling perfectly to fill a simple, completely unremarkable 3 in a row match. And then I'm at half health or dead. Just rubs me the wrong way that luck is such a major factor in the game.

Deus Ex 2. The thing barely ran on my computer, crashed frequently, and that alone sort turned me off enough to not bother with it.

Dead Rising. There were a lot of games where it felt like reviewers were trying to justify how much their habit was costing them by giving mediocre $60 games better reviews than they probably deserved. This seemed like one of them. The controls were sort of awkward, the concept was rough, and it could have used some serious polish and playtesting. But then again, thats pretty much how all Capcom games are.

Neverwinter Nights disappointed me. It was ok, I still played through it, but without the hand drawn art of Baldur's Gate, or the much better writing of BG, I just wasn't feeling it.

Namrok on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Baten Kaitos.

I think I first heard about it through Tycho and unwisely went with his love of cards. That game was the biggest piece of shit I have ever played on any system ever. And the artwork that was supposed to be so magnificent because it was hand drawn - was also doodoo with peepee sprinkles. I havent never been so surprised as to when I saw a sequel was actually made.

CandyTowne - WTF?!?

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh man, I forgot about Contact. Earthbound is my favorite game of all time, and all the comparisons between the two games got me really excited for Contact. Then I played it.

Contact shouldn't even be in the same room as Earthbound.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Roshin wrote: »
    Blood 2. It still hurts thinking about it, actually. The first one was so very good. It did just about everything right. The second one was almost the complete opposite and did everything wrong. Edge did a glowing "copy and paste from the press release" review, which made me stop buying the magazine.

Thank you, Blood 2 was sooo terrible. I remember playing through it back in the day, I refused to stop despite horrible loading times/piss poor gameplay just because of how much I loved Blood 1. Blood 1, if you never played it, is one of the great underrated FPS. I played Blood 2 fairly recently and man, it just does everything wrong you can do in a FPS. The monster/level/weapon design is so blah. The Lithtech engine has not aged well at all, its amazing that people didn't jump on the fact that the environments have none of the detail of the quake games of the era, yet manages to run half as fast (something I also think applies to F.E.A.R versus the Doom 3 engine).

Also second Black and White and Black and White 2. Black and White was disappointing because there was a brilliant game in there, elements of one, just wating to get out. The creature AI was amazing, but the game itself was completely broken. You could never make your villagers happy, they were like locusts that would strip mine the entire map and then complain about not having enough lumber! So you would ignored them and played with your cool creature and then they took your creature away from you. Man thats some cold shit. The game would have also been better served with a civilization type design versus having to play through the same 5 levels over and over again.

And Black and White 2. Strip out the guesswork of the creature AI by replacing it with sliders!? Still had the level based gameplay from the first. I'll admit I didn't play it much, so maybe I'll revist it one day and be pleasantly surprised. I find it amazing how Peter Moloyehoweveryousp has an uncanny ablity to take brilliant ideas and bury them in shit. Its like eating a tar covered snickers.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    And Black and White 2. Strip out the guesswork of the creature AI by replacing it with sliders!? Still had the level based gameplay from the first. I'll admit I didn't play it much, so maybe I'll revist it one day and be pleasantly surprised. I find it amazing how Peter Moloyehoweveryousp has an amazing to take brilliant ideas and bury them in shit. Its like eating a tar covered snickers.

people keep going back because they remember how awesome Populous was. That's where I'm at and have been disappointed ever since.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'll put in a vote for Baten Kaitos.

Also, way back when I was an optimistic little gamer, I was mildly interested in Shadow the Hedgehog. I actually thought giving him a gun would result in putting an interesting twist on the series. Boy was I wrong when I rented it. That game turned me into the more cynical gamer I am today, stupid game previews overhyping every piece of garbage grumble grumble

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Devil May Cry 2... the first one was so fucking great and then we got handed that steaming pile of shit. I stuck it out and played all the way through it, but ultimately, it was such a huge disappointment and I had that precious time back.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    ratchetcatratchetcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Somebody has probably mentioned this already, but what about Doom 3? The game was very atmospheric and interesting at the beginning, but degenerated pretty quickly into a tedious tour of scripted monster traps.

Oh, and I'm also going to throw in MegaTraveller 2: Quest for The Ancients. The beautiful character creation process -- as yet unrivaled by any other RPG -- is only a cruel device intended to elevate your expectations still further before the "game" itself cruelly destroys your soul:

Hey look -- there are hundreds of NPCs roving around autonomously! Now see if you can find the one who will advance the story!

ratchetcat on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was fucking STOKED about Ninety Nine Nights! Good graphics, swarms of enemies to rip to shreds, and smooth, combo-based gameplay sounded like the greatest thing EVER. I played the demo and said, "Wow... do I seriously just use one button to play this game? Fuck this shit" and turned it off. It still makes me sad D:

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    Baten Kaitos.

I think I first heard about it through Tycho and unwisely went with his love of cards. That game was the biggest piece of shit I have ever played on any system ever. And the artwork that was supposed to be so magnificent because it was hand drawn - was also doodoo with peepee sprinkles. I havent never been so surprised as to when I saw a sequel was actually made.

CandyTowne - WTF?!?

GRAAGGH!

BK is fantastic! Poor voice acting is my only complaint, the battle system is fantastic and in BK Origins even more so. The story in each game was engaging and had some nice twist(s). Origins is definitely one of my favourite games of all time.

Anyway, I'd go with Shenmue. Giant piece of shit that it was. I'm surprised at how much boredom they could heap into one game.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    LCDXX wrote: »
    Devil May Cry 2... the first one was so fucking great and then we got handed that steaming pile of shit. I stuck it out and played all the way through it, but ultimately, it was such a huge disappointment and I had that precious time back.

Oh man, don't get me started on Devil May Cry. Maybe it was because I played the game after I played God of War, with its sweet, sexy smooth camera, or maybe I just didn't "get" it. But the camera angles drove me insane. I felt like I was fighting them more than I was fighting any particular enemy or boss. You can't see shit in that game! The camera zips from being in the bottom left corner of the room to being just above a bridge to floating in the middle of the room like someone who was so frustrated by it they hung themselves. Beating that first boss became more about finding the camera angle that would let me actually see both HIM and ME at the same time, and keeping him in that very, very narrow area than it was about anything else. Things got a little bit better after that, but only a little. Half the time my view of, oh, everything was obscured by some pillar or somesuch retardedness. Me and my friends joked that it was a zero person perspective game because you can't see shit.

Namrok on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anarchy Online.

some scars never heal

Zek on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Rami wrote: »
    Anyway, I'd go with Shenmue. Giant piece of shit that it was. I'm surprised at how much boredom they could heap into one game.

Ditto, most overrated cult game ever. Though I don't know if I would file it under games I thought were going to be good, more like games everyone told me was good.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Warhammer: Mark of Chaos. Everybody saw the trailer, it kicks ass. The game... not so much. In fact the game sucked balls. What a huge let down.

notagame on