edited June 2007
    Doom 3.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DekuStick wrote: »
    Doom 3.

Doom 3 is a tricky one. I view it as a fresh take on the series. But if you're wanting a pretty Doom 1, then Doom 3 is going to be pretty disappointing. It's a great game if you're only wanting to shoot 3-4 demons at a time.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DekuStick wrote: »
    Doom 3.

Doom 3 is a tricky one. I view it as a fresh take on the series. But if you're wanting a pretty Doom 1, then Doom 3 is going to be pretty disappointing. It's a great game if you're only wanting to shoot 3-4 demons at a time.

I would progress through the game and tell my friends "20 bucks says in this little corner is a demon..." and sure enough there was. It was so damn predictable. Hell was the only cool part for me but only because it looked crazy. It also stopped working in my xbox after a month and I treat my games well. I'm so happy Brute Force was 99cents at eb one day so I bought four copies and traded them in at blockbuster for it.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    End of a CenturyEnd of a Century Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    oh man, saga frontier... what a confusing mess of crap that was.

End of a Century on
    Wii: 1238 6891 1706 8984.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was really pumped for Starcraft: Ghost. And it sucked so bad they didn't even finish fucking making it.
    I know that's not *really* why they stopped making it. I'm just bitter.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Ah Deus Ex. I've tried to play that game multiple times, but each time I fail to find any fun. Any way I attempt to play it just ends up in frustration.

And here I thought it was just me....

I was really excited to finally play Deus Ex when I got gametap. I've been afraid to say that I didn't think it was fun at all. I keep wanting to give it another try... some games you just want to like.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    beat wrote: »
    FFTA, i mean... wtf?

I'm going to second this one. I didn't buy it myself, my brother did, but I pushed for the purchase. He ended up liking it, I didn't. Anyhow.

FFT:A was pretty much a slap in the face to what FFT was. I got a bit put off from the game when I was reading about different races being put into it. FFT was fine without 'em, why invent them now? Then I had a chance to try the law system, which was frustrating as hell. Nor was it necessary. To me, it seemed a shot in the dark to make the gameplay different or "more challenging." If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Oh, not to mention the story. Didn't like it.

Thing about this game is that a lot of people ended up liking it. So who knows. Maybe the exception rule applies here.

I think the people who like it, like it mostly as a pick up and play tactics game, which is a pretty barren market. But I missed the complex plot of the original game.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    World of Warcraft

I expected a good pvp game since it was Blizzard. What I got was another EQ clone on easy mode with shit flavored pvp.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pemulis wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Ah Deus Ex. I've tried to play that game multiple times, but each time I fail to find any fun. Any way I attempt to play it just ends up in frustration.

And here I thought it was just me....

I was really excited to finally play Deus Ex when I got gametap. I've been afraid to say that I didn't think it was fun at all. I keep wanting to give it another try... some games you just want to like.

Everytime I played it I would have fun on the first level, get the second level and get bored out of mind somehow...
    GrimDog420 wrote: »
    World of Warcraft

I expected a good pvp game since it was Blizzard. What I got was another EQ clone on easy mode with shit flavored pvp.

I actually loved the PvP on WoW, but only hated that you had to be in a raid guild doing PvE to get any good gear for it, so the most fun I had was in the 40-49 bracket, Me and a friend(Us being a Paladin and Warrior) with the best gear we could find in that bracket, and we tore through shit and had a blast. But at 60 you had to raid raid raid in order to compete in PvP, and I just couldnt keep doing that.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    GrimDog420 wrote: »
    World of Warcraft

You're kind of dumb if you picked WoW up expecting like a masterpiece of competetive gameplay, since anyone out there can tell you it's another EQ clone.

It's just the best EQ clone ever.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    what popular mmo isnt an EQ clone? to me that like saying every game with a cute leading character is a pacman clone.

three choices medieval fantasy, sci fi or modern day but the premiese is really always the same isnt it? grind levels get stuff. i'm not defending wow i never played the thing. but my mmo, ff11, wasnt really any more different from eq then wow was in y'alls perspective. i guess.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sigma Star Saga. I read the reviews and thought it was interesting and would be fun. God, worst $30 I ever spent. This doesn't even count the numerous games that I was looking forward to, but ended up getting bad reviews, like Samurai Legend Musashi.
    Sonos wrote: »
    what popular mmo isnt an EQ clone? to me that like saying every game with a cute leading character is a pacman clone.

three choices medieval fantasy, sci fi or modern day but the premiese is really always the same isnt it? grind levels get stuff. i'm not defending wow i never played the thing. but my mmo, ff11, wasnt really any more different from eq then wow was in y'alls perspective. i guess.

:shock:

A wild west themed MMORPG. I'M BRILLIANT!

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

No, the premise is not always the same. MMOs before EQ were not just like it, as well as many after it.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I preordered Rogue Strike hoping that it would have a helpful radar, which was the only reason I was never able to get anywhere in Rogue Leader. Sure, I had read that the on-foot missions were a bit lacking, but I was hoping that they would have been fixed up enough by launch.

I never gave either of those games much of a chance, but considering how much fun I had right off the bat with the original, I didn't feel like I should have to go looking for it.

Gim on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Super Mario Sunshine. That game broke my heart.

Not that I'd say it was bad, but its shortcomings lead to it being one Mario title I own that I just couldn't be bothered to beat.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Crackdown.

2 days of action packed repetitive lameness.

Even the Halo 3 beta sucked.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sorry guys, the one to top ALL of this is Ultima 9.

Supposed to wrap everything up, and a precursor to morrow wind, but completely fucking unplayable.

Thing is, when you fix all the bugs its actually an amazing game.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Sorry guys, the one to top ALL of this is Ultima 9.

Supposed to wrap everything up, and a precursor to morrow wind, but completely fucking unplayable.

Thing is, when you fix all the bugs its actually an amazing game.

Did they ever fix all the bugs?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I finished Crackdown last night and enjoyed every second of it.
    It's less of a crime-fighting game and more of a "jump around ala Spidey and hunt for secret power-ups" game.

Bought Crackdown for the Halo 3 beta. Ended up playing the former more than the latter.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zython wrote: »
    Sigma Star Saga. I read the reviews and thought it was interesting and would be fun. God, worst $30 I ever spent. This doesn't even count the numerous games that I was looking forward to, but ended up getting bad reviews, like Samurai Legend Musashi.

:shock:

A wild west themed MMORPG. I'M BRILLIANT!

Bang! Howdy beat you to it.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkfishDarkfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Probably been said before but i'm too lazy to go back and check.

Starfox Adventures

Fuck you rare.

Darkfish on
    hyrulesig1ui.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

No, the premise is not always the same. MMOs before EQ were not just like it, as well as many after it.

Exactly. The reason why there are so many EQ clones is because it's the most financially secure option to take, as it has proven to be most successful. Ultima Online, for example, is practically nothing like EQ whatsoever.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Now it's going to be WoW clones.
    It's just how it is. You go with what works. No need to reinvent the wheel if it's not necessary.

The whole UI of LOTR:O is pretty much directly from WoW.
    From what I've seen from videos, the Warhammer UI isn't much different.

The quest system isn't different at all (WoW -> LOTR) except for a ring instead of a ! and a burning ring instead of a ?

Endomatic on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Few people will agree with me, but I need to say it:

Odin Sphere.

GAWD! The game is absolutely gorgeous, and the soundtrack's great, plus what I've seen of the story so far was interesting, and the circular levels idea is nice, but it's so horrible in execution. I can't stand it! I'm not having any fun when I'm playing this game. Any difficulty I set it at, some boss or mid-boss just comes by and rapes my ass right thru my clothes. Over and over. The enemies' attacks are so cheap, and frustrating.

I'd love to love this game, but I hate it with a burning passion. I hate it so bad! I have no fun playing, and so I stopped at Valkyrie 5-1, which isn't very far in the game.

Djiem on
  • Options
    KarnKarn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was disappoint by WoW too, but that mostly happened because Blizzard spoke of lot's of PVP elements in ADDITION to the PVE elements, and then PVP kind of just got tacked on. I new it was doom when they hired all those EQ dudes to help them design raids.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Biggest recent gaming dissapointment for me was Armored Core: Formula Front. It wouldn't be so bad if I could actually create behaviors for my mech beyond just manipulating sliders, like creating complex systems in Mind Rover or gambits in FFXII. At least they tried by adding in a manual control system, even if it would cause the mech to pause for a fraction of a second as soon as a single shot hit it.

I have to say Contact on the DS was also a dissapointment for me. It sounded like an interesting game and one that I would like. When I started playing it tho, it got really dull. The combat in that game bored me to tears, the level design or story didnt help much either to make it more interesting.

Advent Rising was another game I was interested in, but it should have spent another few months in QA for bugtesting.

My last gaming dissapointment I will mention has to be just about every RPG on the PSP. The moral of that story is rent or borrow first, then buy... I have 5 and they were all a waste of cash. :(
    The five I have are:
    Breath of Fire III
    Legend of Heroes
    Tales of Eternia
    Untold Legends: The Warriors Code
    Ys: Ark of Napishtim

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Has anyone mentioned SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters DS?

Months before it came out, we were talking about it on here, and someone who had the JPN version said it was really disappointing. I was apprehensive.

Right before it came out, all the reviews and everyone here said it was a huge disappointment.

When it was released, I spent a few minutes talking with the register biscuit about how great the original was, and he even told me that it wasn't that good.

I STILL bought it, just because the original was so unbelievably fantastic. I couldn't imagine that anyone could dilute the pure, concentrated awesome to the point where it was not fun.

I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. Every few days, I put it back in the DS, hoping that it might be enjoyable this time.

Battling is not fun. Those spheres, buying waves of guys every round, and the pace completely changed the unbelievably fun and completely broken but still moderately balanced (I know that doesn't make sense) gameplay.

Why did they feel it was neccessary to tack on extra crap that changed the whole game? Collecting isn't even very fun, because I have to battle.

Ruined. My heart is broken.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Not that I'd say it was bad, but its shortcomings lead to it being one Mario title I own that I just couldn't be bothered to beat.

I will see your Sunshine and raise you Mario 64. I finally got this on the Virtual Console, and while it was okay for a while, it just didn't hold my interest even as much as Sunshine did a few years ago. Again, not a bad game, but the camera and the controls are annoying, and the cryptic hints for the later stars are tiresome. I'm glad I didn't spend $20+ on the DS version.

Saddler on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    WoW, Guild Wars, I just don't like mmo's.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    WoW, Guild Wars, I just don't like mmo's.

Then why would you think you'd like any of them?

Furu on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    BioHaz594 wrote: »
    Breath of Fire III

I thought BoF3 was all kinds of awesome (minus that fucking fire chrysm thing in the tower and the desert o' death). Unless you're talking about the quality of the PSP port, because then I couldn't offer an opinion.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Has anyone mentioned SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters DS?

Yep.

I was so hyped for the game from a NP article, saw the series so far had great reviews...

Didn't even play it for two whole battles.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    BioHaz594 wrote: »
    Breath of Fire III

I thought BoF3 was all kinds of awesome (minus that fucking fire chrysm thing in the tower and the desert o' death). Unless you're talking about the quality of the PSP port, because then I couldn't offer an opinion.

I played up until the desert o' death. I think it sucked, but it caused me to put the game out of my mind so much that I don't even remember much about it any more. Except how SNES-like the graphics were, which seemed terrible at the time.

Saddler on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okami

It was Zelda but inferior in every way, combat was really limited, and there was way too much text.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Saddler wrote: »

I will see your Sunshine and raise you Mario 64. I finally got this on the Virtual Console, and while it was okay for a while, it just didn't hold my interest even as much as Sunshine did a few years ago. Again, not a bad game, but the camera and the controls are annoying, and the cryptic hints for the later stars are tiresome. I'm glad I didn't spend $20+ on the DS version.

While Super Mario 64 isn't as good to me as it once was, I do have the DS version, and if they'd released that on the VC with analog controls, I'd be quite happy to buy it again. All the extras and improved graphics really add up.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I got Mario Sunshine before Mario 64, and now that I've finally played both thanks to the Virtual Console, I can definitely say I like Sunshine better. I'm not even sure what it is, I just...felt more compelled to beat it. 64 just annoys me a lot of times.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time - I didn't like the 3D controls & the world felt barren to me compared to past Zeldas (Link to the Past & Link's Awakening most noticeably). Still good enough that I beat it, but I was disappointed.

Gears of War - I was expecting RE4/Half-Life 2 levels of greatness. What I got was just a good game. I don't regret the purchase, but I had been hoping for more.

FFTA - I was expecting basically a FFT expansion pack and what I got just didn't feel like FFT at all to me.

FFVII - See above, but replace FFT with FFVI. Looking back, it was a better game than I gave it credit for at the time.

Phoenix Wright - A good game that had so much buzz that I got my hopes up too high and was disappointed by the final product.

Metroid Prime 2 - I can't explain why I didn't enjoy this as much as the original, but I didn't.

Super Paper Mario - Awesome concept, but the game has such a plodding pace that I gave up on it on one of the latter levels.

Enchant Arm - When all is said and done, a mediocre RPG with nice graphics and a couple of interesting ideas is still a mediocre RPG.

Valkyrie Profile 1 - I really wanted to like this game, but it just didn't click with me.

And now I feel like the most jaded gamer ever, but hey, in the past couple of months I've picked up Guitar Hero 360, Civilization IV, and Etrian Odyssey, all of which are games that I had high expectations for, and have been thoroughly pleased with all of them.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wanted to like this one, I really did, but I just couldn't even finish it in the end.

Killer 7.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Another Super Paper Mario vote. I only recently got my Wii so it took a while for me to admit it to myself, but damn. I am so bored when I play that game.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okami for the huge amount of boring endless dialogue, the easiness of it all, and that horrible cricket thing on your back that gives you hints on the easiest baby shit in the game over and over.

Oblivion just because the gameplay didn't impress me, and that the whole game world was so generic and uninteresting. Didn't seem worth exploring at all.

Asamof the Horrible on