Options

Games you thought were gonna be good

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okami. So much so that I think I must play video games for an entirely different reason to the rest of the people on here.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    -F-Zero GX (unrelenting, pain in the ass to work through the story mode)
    -Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (Boss fights were buggy and annoying, atmosphere was pretty bland)
    -KOTOR 2 (felt completely disjointed)
    -Kirby Canvas Curse (short, dull)
    -Phantasy Star Universe (Played through the single player before going online with it, eventually got sick of the repeating levels which just kept getting longer and longer and never any more interesting)

Games everyone knocks on that I either really enjoyed or didn't have high enough expectations to be annoyed:
    -Mario Sunshine
    -Fable
    -Spider-Man 3 (the Wii version, no less)
    -Enter the Matrix

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Davoid wrote: »
    I wanted to like this one, I really did, but I just couldn't even finish it in the end.

Killer 7.

Oh God yes. I thought it was going to be really awesome but I've only played for like half an hour. The art was great, but the gameplay made it pretty much unplayable for me.

bruin on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Davoid wrote: »
    I wanted to like this one, I really did, but I just couldn't even finish it in the end.

Killer 7.

Oh God yes. I thought it was going to be really awesome but I've only played for like half an hour. The art was great, but the gameplay made it pretty much unplayable for me.

I must admit, Killer 7 gameplay wasn't anything special (and could be tedious at times), but what kept me playing constantly was shear morbid curiousity of what the hell was going on and what was going to happen next.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, Super Paper Mario for me too. The game is mind-boggingly slow, and after world 3-4, the level design turns to crap. It needed a few more buttons to flip through Pixls and team members. Also, the entire 3-D thing was a gimmick that didn't really bring out any new gameplay, aside from having to flip every 5 seconds in case there's something in the 3-D realm. I never saw it used cleverly. Only the dialogue kind of saved it, but I gave up on it around 6-3.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed by Super Paper Mario. I thought I was crazy for a while, till I stumbled in this thread. I was so pumped for the game, played through a little over half of it, and couldn't bring myself to go further.

Many of my problems with the pace would have been mitigated by the addition of the classic Mario run button. I know that wouldn't really change the pace of the game that much, but I would have felt more like I was controlling Mario and not just holding the d-pad to the right and pressing a button now and then.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Halo 2.

I mean, once you beat it on co-op with every single one of your friends all its good for is occasional multiplayer battles, but I can't even do that unless someone else is all "yo, G, let's play some Halo dogg, CTF style"

I don't know why people say it's so great.

BTW I am totally getting Halo 3 when it comes out.

Graves on
  • Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Back to the Future for NES! >.> Hmmm if only I could remember others because I know they are out their somewhere. Funny how I can remember my first disappointment but not my latest.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm also going with Phoenix Wright. Playing that game was a damn chore for me. I couldn't stand it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates 3D Mario games.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm not even sure what it is, I just...felt more compelled to beat it. 64 just annoys me a lot of times.

Same here, but in reverse.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Graves wrote: »
    Halo 2.

I mean, once you beat it on co-op with every single one of your friends all its good for is occasional multiplayer battles, but I can't even do that unless someone else is all "yo, G, let's play some Halo dogg, CTF style"

I don't know why people say it's so great.

BTW I am totally getting Halo 3 when it comes out.

Same. I played through Halo at least three times, and I even didn't mind the notorious Library (bang bang splat, rinse, repeat). Played the ever-loving shit out of it multiplayer, never been to so many LAN parties in my life - people's houses, on the counter in my old Software Etc on Sundays, everything, for months on end. Halo was everything it was cracked up to be and more.

Halo 2... played the single-player once and had to force myself to play it to its "conclusion". It has its moments, sure - Scarab! - but so much of it was "meh", and I didn't honestly find myself caring nearly as much about the story or characters as in the first game. Arbiter, Brutes, Gravemind, it all fused together in my mind as a sadly mediocre mess that was only saved by solid-but-unspectacular gameplay that was a good few notches below the original's; gameplay also hampered by an arsenal of lousy weapons (Battle Rifle, die in a fire). Multiplayer didn't fare much better... I made it to one LAN, and it wasn't long (barely a couple of matches) before we all decided to go back to Halo 1 for the rest of the night. And it wasn't any better on Live for myriad reasons, screaming 12-year-olds being but one of them, despite the spectacularly good party system that, three years on, has only been surpassed by...

The Halo 3 Beta has totally reinvigorated my love of the franchise. I'm still wary of single-player considering how apathetic Halo 2 made me feel, but I can't remember having this much fun with a multiplayer game since Halo 1. Halo 3 is Halo 1.5 and it's so much better for it. I fear having to fire up Halo 2 again between the beta ending and the actual game coming out. That godforsaken Battle Rifle's still there but I'm not forced to use the damn thing any more, and that makes me happy.

Jazz on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okami

It was Zelda but superior in every way
    Fixed.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    While I agree, this thread would self destruct if everone started objecting whenever one of the games they liked was brought up. ;)

Speaking of, I'll add Halo to the list. Maybe it was just the fact that I'd been playing the genre since 1992, but it seemed to be a mediocre shooter with crap level design. And I finished the damned thing just to make sure, and it was still meh. Oh, hai, lack of coop on PC version, nice to meet you.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I thought Halo sort of went without saying. I mean, the game isn't anything particularly amazing.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Star Ocean 3 can suck my balls. If I have to play another JRPG where you find out that the first 2/3rds of the game isn't real and where the dialogue consists of random philosophical quotes/inane babble about how "we are destined to be all that we can be but in the end all will be kharma nirvana lol existential Nietzche", I will kill myself with a rag soaked in ether and carbon monoxide.

KPC on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    In defense of Halo, I purchased my first console solely to play the game after doing co-op with a friend, bought my 360 pretty much just for Halo 3 and regret neither decision and doubt I will.

As for games that failed to reach expectations. Sonic Rush didn't just fail to meet expectations, it is one of few games I haven't played all the way through. I found it to be simplistic and repetitive, the dialog was ridiculous and just to make sure I hated it it threw a section in which you have to hammer A and B for over five minutes after a hard boss fight, that was the point at which I mentally said, fuck this and put it away. I had such hight hopes when someone told me it was like sonic advance as well.

Leitner on
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I had heard all about Indigo Prophecy's "ludicrous" plot twists that were supposedly to take place 2/3 of the way through the game. I kept telling myself as I started playing "Don't be disappointed when the story goes to the crows". I thought I was prepared for what was to come. I ended up saying "Oh, FORFUCKSSAKE" for the last 2 hours of the game every two minutes or so.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've played a lot of good games the past year or 2 but there hasn't really been anything awesome for quite some time, for myself.

:(

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I had heard all about Indigo Prophecy's "ludicrous" plot twists that were supposedly to take place 2/3 of the way through the game. I kept telling myself as I started playing "Don't be disappointed when the story goes to the crows". I thought I was prepared for what was to come. I ended up saying "Oh, FORFUCKSSAKE" for the last 2 hours of the game every two minutes or so.

Haha, man, doesn't it just end with
    some girl going to get a sandwich or something?
    That's what I heard on the 1up podcast. I've always wanted to give that game a go, but it does sound disappointing to an extent.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Abes Exodus. GAH.

"Hay Gais, time for a sequel. Oddysee was real successful, what do you think people likes so much about it? The puzzles, the environments?"
    "LOL NO THE FARTING"
    "TOTALLY THE FARTING"
    "YOU SHOULD SOLVE PUZZLES BY FARTING"
    "YOU SHOULD BLOW PEOPLE UP WITH FARTS"
    "HAHAHA LOL DAVE CLASSIC GET ON THE FARTING RIGHT AWAY phew, meeting done. Good session, guys."

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I purchased a Playstation (1) for Abe's Oddysee, and that game was incredible. It was unlike anything I'd ever played before (up to that point in time, of course).
    It's a shame the franchise got flushed down the shitter.

Actually, Abe's Oddysee is a game I'd like to see get put on the PSP...

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I purchased a Playstation (1) for Abe's Oddysee, and that game was incredible. It was unlike anything I'd ever played before (up to that point in time, of course).

Seconded. Still play it all the time on the PS2, more than most of my PS2 games.
    Actually, Abe's Oddysee is a game I'd like to see get put on the PSP...

I would dust off the PSP for that.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    WillyFourEyesWillyFourEyes Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's my own fault for purchasing Card Fighters DS AFTER finding out about the game-breaking bug. Now I'm stuck with it. Le sigh...

Also, for the person in the thread who mentioned Beyond the Beyond: Yes, yes, a thousand times YES!

WillyFourEyes on
  • Options
    ratchetcatratchetcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Sorry guys, the one to top ALL of this is Ultima 9.

Supposed to wrap everything up, and a precursor to morrow wind, but completely fucking unplayable.

Thing is, when you fix all the bugs its actually an amazing game.

Thank you for mentioning this one -- the trauma was too much for my mind. I couldn't remember. Yes, Ultima 9 -- I actually threw away my copy because I couldn't believe I'd ever finish playing such a buggy game or that anyone would ever fix it. I seem to recall the official message boards being in a near-riot over the problems everyone had with it.

It's raining in the throne room, Lord British! Argh!

ratchetcat on
  • Options
    DeadEyeDeadEye Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I played the hell out of San Andreas on my xbox, so when I saw Saints Row for the 360, I was thinking it would be similar (I love sandbox games) but smaller (the sheer physical size was my biggest gripe about SA) and prettier. I read what was out about it and downloaded the demo feverishly. Man oh man, I was disappointed. I've got a knack of breaking games, but that demo was probably the worse demo I have ever played. It was fun in an "Oh man, look what I've broken now" way, but there was no way I was going to buy the game, ever.

I really wanted STALKER to be good, it looked awesome and sounded fun, but I never 'got' the game. I was running around, sucking at it badly and nothing clicked.

Amusingly, after playing so much Crackdown, I went back to San Andreas and I was disappointed, the draw distance was pitiful, the graphics sucked and the targetting was much worse.

DeadEye on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ratchetcat wrote: »

Supposed to wrap everything up, and a precursor to morrow wind, but completely fucking unplayable.

Thank you for mentioning this one -- the trauma was too much for my mind. I couldn't remember. Yes, Ultima 9 -- I actually threw away my copy because I couldn't believe I'd ever finish playing such a buggy game or that anyone would ever fix it. I seem to recall the official message boards being in a near-riot over the problems everyone had with it.

Are the Ultima games actually related in any way to TES?

Szechuan on
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Szechuan wrote: »
    ratchetcat wrote: »

Are the Ultima games actually related in any way to TES?

Nope

Caswynben on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm going to throw Hitman 2 under the bus.

I got the the mission where you have to snipe the Middle Eastern mucky-muck while he's driving through the town and I can't get into position without being seen. I do enjoy stealth based gameplay, and the point of Hitman is to get in and get out without anybody knowing you were there, right? So why is it on every level there is always that one motherfucker that can see through your disguise from a space station window and then calls in an alert.

I put it down and haven't picked it up in like two years. So much possible fun ruined by apparently placing the best location for the shot underneath giant neon signs that say 'HIRED KILLER HERE!' that are visible only to the local population.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Any of the Star Fox games for the Gamecube that series is showing its age fast there hasnt been a good 1 since the 64 days

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Any of the Star Fox games for the Gamecube that series is showing its age fast there hasnt been a good 1 since the 64 days
    There's an easy fix for this, though: hire Level 5, and give them strict instructions that no one sets foot on the ground.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Has anyone said Puzzle Quest yet? Because that game was way wayyy worse than it should have been.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Caswynben wrote: »
    Has anyone said Puzzle Quest yet? Because that game was way wayyy worse than it should have been.
    I've heard it's really buggy, are they that bad?

Darlan on
  • Options
    notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okami

It was Zelda but inferior in every way, combat was really limited, and there was way too much text.

You mean UNSKIPPABLE TEXT WITH ANNOYING AS SHIT VOICE OVERS MADE WITH 3 REPEATING SYLLABLES. The game would have been so much better if they hired actual voice actors and let you fast forward the texts. Oh and the 20 minute unskippable intro? Lame as hell.

notagame on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Caswynben wrote: »

I hate you.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fuck that, just get the original team and have them do a Wii StarFox. They did StarFox Command, and that was indeed a good game. The team just needs to make a console StarFox, so they can focus on an on-rails blast-fest.

slash000 on
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Obviously there are a lot of popular games out there that I personally don't like, but if I were to name one that I did have high expectations for before playing: Metal Gear Solid 2.

The first Solid game was OK, even though it kinda felt like a "light" version of the NES game (I haven't played the MSX original), in 3D, watered down with cutscenes.

After watching the jaw-dropping MGS2 trailer I was planning on getting a PS2 just for this game. I'm glad I didn't. When I eventually got around to borrowing a console and this game, I couldn't stand more than four hours or so before giving up on it. Most of the time was spent just watching incredibly dull cutscenes, and the little gameplay that was there was frustrating due to the camera and controls.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm going to go with Lunar Knights. Pretty much every outlet raved about what a great DS game this was. Instead I got a terrible, slow-paced game. If this is how the Boktai games played, I'm glad I never took the time to find those either.

Perfect Dark Zero is another big one, though.

Also, Okami. Dug the art style, but that's about it. The whole "drawing" element was really dumb when I found out I could just scribble all over the screen and it thinks I drew a circle. Combat was boring and the fact that it took place in pillars of flame moronic. I was so excited for this, too, had it pre-ordered and everything. Brought it back within a few days.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Abes Exodus. GAH.

"Hay Gais, time for a sequel. Oddysee was real successful, what do you think people likes so much about it? The puzzles, the environments?"
    "LOL NO THE FARTING"
    "TOTALLY THE FARTING"
    "YOU SHOULD SOLVE PUZZLES BY FARTING"
    "YOU SHOULD BLOW PEOPLE UP WITH FARTS"
    "HAHAHA LOL DAVE CLASSIC GET ON THE FARTING RIGHT AWAY phew, meeting done. Good session, guys."
    Are you serious? God.

edit:
    I'm going to throw Hitman 2 under the bus. *snip*
    In that vein, I'm going to suggest Blood Money. It has some great polish for the most part, but there definitely is a clear-cut, most "right" way of completing every level, and I really am starting to hate that about the series. In BM in particular, it's obvious that with the new "accident" mechanic, they clearly made that the ideal way to complete each level, to the point of gearing entire levels around it. Case in point: the three mob guys in Flatline. Each one had an accident that could take him out (actually, I suppose the pink guy had the bomb/chandelier assassination method too), but they were so forced and contrived that I was pulled completely out of character by it. I guess it's not that the game is bad, but it isn't as good as I would like.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Firebrand wrote: »
    After watching the jaw-dropping MGS2 trailer I was planning on getting a PS2 just for this game. I'm glad I didn't. When I eventually got around to borrowing a console and this game, I couldn't stand more than four hours or so before giving up on it. Most of the time was spent just watching incredibly dull cutscenes, and the little gameplay that was there was frustrating due to the camera and controls.

I can understand not liking the cutscenes and story (even though I think it's the most brilliant story I've seen in a video game), but the camera and controls? That's a new one.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oblivion, because it wasn't Morrwind

Gothic 3, because it wasn't anything like it's predecessors

Phantasy Star Online I & II - I don't know why I was looking forward to that, really

Alfred J. Kwak on