As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

seriously, though, what is a [movie]

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Things up close look bigger, right?

Chall on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Moon's pretty big imo

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    There is the moon illusion, wherein the moon looks bigger the closer it is to the horizon

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    is it just me or in that Moonfall trailer does it seem like they are making the Moon look significantly larger than it actually is?

earthmoon.png

Must be a super moon.

• Options
    Spoiler for the Moon Falling movie
    that's no moon

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I’d rather watch Ghibli with subs, but I can’t figure out how to make HBO Max do that. The only options I can get it to do are Japanese with no subs or English dub with English subs, which is not helpful.

I think the subtitles are in the pause menu on there

It probably depends on which app is being used. If I just use HBO Max in a browser on my PC and I select the Japanese audio, all I have to do after the movie starts is click on the little box in the lower right that looks like a box of text and turn on English closed captioning from there. No need to pause the movie to bring up another menu.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Moon's pretty big imo

haunted too

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Moon's pretty big imo

haunted too

chk chk

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    The first Huntsman movie was enjoyable? I think that's the best movie I've seen Kristen Stewart in. I believe she did emote in that film.

She is very good in Underwater, which is all around a very good movie. (Warning: it has TJ Miller in it a bit, from right before the sexual assault allegations emerged.)
    notya wrote: »
    Porco Rosso has a decent dub. You get fucking MICHAEL KEATON being all gravely voiced like he does best.

I'm currently reading Mike Myers' book Canada (which is half memoir, half Canadiana). He recounts the time that he was a part of Second City Toronto's 15th anniversary show, as he was technically an alumni at the time (in that he had moved to Second City Chicago a year earlier). But the rest of the show was full of famous SCTV people, so he was definitely the odd one out. He bombed hard on his first two sketches, to the point where people started talking amongst themselves.

Michael Keaton was in the audience though, and shushed folks for being rude.

(Myers says that at that point he was thinking of just going home, but his buddy Dave Foley gave him a pep-talk at intermission. His third sketch was a character he'd been doing since he was a teenager: Scarborough metal-head Wayne Campbell. It killed, and Martin Short, Pam Thomas, and Foley all independently called Lorne Michaels the next day and told him that he should hire Myers, which is how he ended up on SNL.)

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    There is the moon illusion, wherein the moon looks bigger the closer it is to the horizon

Also when it looks cool.

I want to say there's a scene in the first Ninja Turtles movie (with Danny, I think?) where the moon is fucking massive in the background. It's about to pull a Majora's Mask on New York City (despite filming in Wilmington NC).

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    you can make the moon look very big relative to subjects in the foreground in real photography/filming without special effects by using a very high focal length

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Moon shots in media are often done with a telephoto lens to exaggerate the size even more

e: oh BZ covered this

Veldrin on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i dont think that moonfall is using actual cameras in space

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    That's bullshit, then.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Lalabox wrote: »

lsow381w8mkb.png

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Moonfall is actually the first movie filmed by destroying the entire planet in real time, fun fact

• Options
    I heard they're using the same Moon backgrounds that Kubrick used when he faked the Moon landing

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Just watched Whisper of the Heart for the first time.

Is this why “Country Roads” is such a popular song in Japan and why every karaoke bar had it and why my coworkers always wanted me to sing it for them?

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I remember going into the Howl's Moving Castle dub thinking that there was a lot of potential for Christian Bale's portrayal of the title character to go wrong, but then it ended up being fine, I think? It was a while ago.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Is this why “Country Roads” is such a popular song in Japan and why every karaoke bar had it and why my coworkers always wanted me to sing it for them?

I think so, it's ironically the first place *I* heard the song even, but I'm not certain

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    If the moon is completely hollow (filled with alien robots) then having it crash into the earth isn't too big a deal.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    My beef with the Howl dub is that they got Billy Crystal to do a voice (which I'm in favor of!) and it might be the single worst lip sync I've seen in anything ever. Like... CONFUSINGLY bad. That and some other issues took me way out of the experience. I should give the original Japanese track a try sometime and see if I enjoy the movie more...

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    All modern anime dubbing should be done by the same 5 people that seemed to dub every anime in the 90s.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    My beef with the Howl dub is that they got Billy Crystal to do a voice (which I'm in favor of!) and it might be the single worst lip sync I've seen in anything ever. Like... CONFUSINGLY bad. That and some other issues took me way out of the experience. I should give the original Japanese track a try sometime and see if I enjoy the movie more...

I don't think Calcifer's mouth movements were animated in such a way to sync up with any mouth movements, even the original Japanese dub. It's kind of like when the animals talk in Princess Mononoke, the mouths just kind of open and close without any regard for the words coming out.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021

I don't think Calcifer's mouth movements were animated in such a way to sync up with any mouth movements, even the original Japanese dub. It's kind of like when the animals talk in Princess Mononoke, the mouths just kind of open and close without any regard for the words coming out.

There’s some movement that looks vaguely like a cartoon mouth speaking, but yeah, there isn’t an effort being made there to match the mouth movements with Japanese phonemes the way the rest of the characters do. His mouth moves a lot slower than the short syllables of Japanese require, it seems to me. Why that is I don’t really know, but it looks like a really deliberate artistic choice.

https://youtu.be/MsKweRH-BBk

sarukun on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Moon's pretty big imo

Moon's wet.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I saw Demonic, the new Blomkamp

holy shit, that movie is BAD. I mean, I haven't seen Chappie and Elysium, but there is no way in hell they are as bad as this

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    If we watch it, will it be clear who is demonic, or will someone have to point them out to us?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    It's so baffling

why did he think that having the main character in a "simulation" that looks like The Sims with a bunch of shader nonsense on top would be cool and trippy and scary
    And aesthetic choices aside, the entire structure of the film makes no sense, to find motivation, stakes and tension, you would have to rearrange the sequence of events as depicted, and even then...man.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    That sounds terrible but also to be very clear Chappie is fucking atrocious

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Neill Blomkamp is a VFX and short film guy who lucked his way into a really good debut film

I've said this before but, I wish he'd cool off on some of the goofy concept films and be the VFX lead for a better director

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

In March 2008, a man was arrested in Thailand for shooting eight people to death, including his brother-in-law, in a dispute stemming from several karaoke offerings, including repeated renditions of John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads".

People feel very strongly about John Denver

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I like Chappie and Elysium so they should keep letting Blomkamp make his weird movies.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I'm sorry liking Chappie is impermissable please hold still for processing

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I thought those shorts he had a few years back were pretty cool. Didn't much care for Chappie though. I'll probably watch Demonic when it's on a streaming service I have but it doesn't look or sound very good to me.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I respect anyone who has the stones to look at Die Antwoord and say, "Baby, I'm gonna make you a star!"

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Moon's pretty big imo

Moon's wet.

WAM

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Neill Blomkamp is a VFX and short film guy who lucked his way into a really good debut film

I've said this before but, I wish he'd cool off on some of the goofy concept films and be the VFX lead for a better director

I'd like him to keep spinning out weird movies, but he should not write his own stuff anymore.

An odd comparison, but it's almost like a lesser George Lucas, in a way?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Moon's pretty big imo

Not as big as Australia

3400km in diameter compared to Australia's 3860km

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Shang Chi : Pretty good! Even if there's a cgi ball at the end it's a cgi ball I've not seen so hurrah :D
    Smidge too much Trevor though, could have easily left him outside the bamboo.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
This discussion has been closed.