As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The most wonderful time for a [BEER]

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Perfect glass for a wonderfully deep and rich stout. Only a month late.
    n7ecl5nbufz2.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    t2xfqgudc0dt.jpeg

Oh the places I’ll go!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh god they released some of the beers that will be available for the VIP ticket holders and they’re all like 14% 11% 13% etc

I’m going to be wasted before the full thing even starts.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    That rye beer I had the other day, I tied it again tonight and it was much better. I have a couple thoughts as to why:
    1. Mood. I was just in a much better place today.
    2. I hadn't been eating a bunch of other stuff, so the beer didn't get mixed with other flavors -- oils and grease may explain the weird mouthfeel* it had?
    3. I read something the other day and put it into practice -- rule of thumb is serving temperature is ABV+ 2 degrees C. This beer's ABV is 6.6, so 8.6C/47.5F is the 'proper' serving temp. I've been drinking my beers way too cold.

Point 3 makes me feel like a beer snob and I've figured out the One Trick Bars Don't Want You To Know. But points 1 and 2 probably had just as much to do with it. However, addressing points 1 and 2 makes me change things about my life, so instead I'm going to stop keeping my steins/glasses in the freezer and letting the beer sit out a while after taking it out of the fridge.

I initially started to type mothfeel and really think that ought to be a thing.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Ice cold beer is bad and I don't know why bars market like that. I don't even think it helps domestic beers taste better.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I think it makes them taste like almost nothing, which in most mainstream domestic light beers' case is probably the point, you don't want to go tasting those too closely.

Peen on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I feel like I should say after that last post that I'm not too good for domestic light beer or anything, they sell the biggest cans of Bud Light in the world at Nationals Park in DC and I'll happily buy one and then drink it really, really fast, so it doesn't warm up (much to my wife's chagrin but whatever we took the train here it's fine nobody's driving gosh).

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    That rye beer I had the other day, I tied it again tonight and it was much better. I have a couple thoughts as to why:
    1. Mood. I was just in a much better place today.
    2. I hadn't been eating a bunch of other stuff, so the beer didn't get mixed with other flavors -- oils and grease may explain the weird mouthfeel* it had?
    3. I read something the other day and put it into practice -- rule of thumb is serving temperature is ABV+ 2 degrees C. This beer's ABV is 6.6, so 8.6C/47.5F is the 'proper' serving temp. I've been drinking my beers way too cold.

Point 3 makes me feel like a beer snob and I've figured out the One Trick Bars Don't Want You To Know. But points 1 and 2 probably had just as much to do with it. However, addressing points 1 and 2 makes me change things about my life, so instead I'm going to stop keeping my steins/glasses in the freezer and letting the beer sit out a while after taking it out of the fridge.

I initially started to type mothfeel and really think that ought to be a thing.

The recommended temperature for kegerators for draft beer is right around 38F. But that also accounts for temperature loss in the lines, upon pouring into a glass (I don't count freezer mugs because they are bad), and time spent actually drinking the beer. If you served beer starting at 47F, by the time you finished it, it would probably be close to "room temperature" which is not ideal for many beers. You can always let a cold beer warm up, but you're never going to enjoy a beer that is now 65F (or at least I don't). I mostly control drinking temperature with glassware. Any beer I want to drink warmer, I pour into a smaller 8oz Spiegelau-type glass.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    I feel like I should say after that last post that I'm not too good for domestic light beer or anything, they sell the biggest cans of Bud Light in the world at Nationals Park in DC and I'll happily buy one and then drink it really, really fast, so it doesn't warm up (much to my wife's chagrin but whatever we took the train here it's fine nobody's driving gosh).

I’m a complete craft beer nut but I will drink a cheap domestic. I don’t think they taste bad they just don’t taste like anything.

I will not drink Heineken or Corona though. Those both taste like skunk.

Also, I will never begrudge someone for their beer choices…unless we’re friends. Then I’m going to give you all kinds of shit for your bad beer choices

• Options
    I will judge if you like High Life, it's just so goddamn bad.

But sometimes you're not somewhere with a craft beer selection and a PBR or Bud Light will do the job. Or if I'm at an event I just want an easy drinking beer that isn't going to get me buzzed quickly if I drink it too fast.

• Options
    I think High Life is fine. It fits into the category of “Domestic Beers that are too Weak to Actually Taste bad”

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    There's basically nothing I'll turn my nose up at.

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

What about a cup of unfiltered horse feces?

• Options
    I think High Life is fine. It fits into the category of “Domestic Beers that are too Weak to Actually Taste bad”

I remember it being really bad and that was in college where all I really drank was domestics. I liked Natty Light and Keystone then and High Life was still bad.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

...do you have ready access to such a thing?

• Options

...do you have ready access to such a thing?

I don’t have to tell you that.

• Options
    Cheap domestic is nice with hotwings and sometimes pizza.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Cheap domestic is nice with hotwings and sometimes pizza.

I don't like a craft beer when drinking anything with spice because I end up drinking it way too fast.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Stopped at a small brewery in Kalamazoo MI on our way camping. Really cool space, good beers, and seems to be LGBTQ-friendly.

Brought home a pack of Rosé Sour, made with zinfindel.
    i2covwfck0ec.jpg

Color even more pink in-person. Good sour, nice carbonation.

Edit: the hangout side (not my pic):
    rkjhv887ibmu.jpg

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    It's called "Hop Cloud" and I cannot pour it without a unreasonably fluffy head
    qr6hp0lhf8bq.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    that's the cloud it warned you about

broken image link
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I really like where Mike Hess has ended up can-wise. Both from a graphic design perspective and just the cans themselves, the triple ridge thing they have going on is fun. Way better than their full pull-tops phase

Carpy on
  • Options
    BEEEEEE FESTIVAL TONIGHT!!!!

• Options
    BEEEEEEEES!!!!!!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Found poetry from the incident log: "When the patron opened his backpack the SO noticed a half consumed six pack of bear."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    I really like where Mike Hess has ended up can-wise. Both from a graphic design perspective and just the cans themselves, the triple ridge thing they have going on is fun. Way better than their full pull-tops phase

And here I was missing the pull tops

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    I really wish this thing started earlier…running out of things to do that don’t involve drinking and there’s no way I’m drinking before this thing.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Found poetry from the incident log: "When the patron opened his backpack the SO noticed a half consumed six pack of bear."

I mean it's cool as long as the remaining ones are unopened, right?

• Options
    Half hour!

• Options
    I just had a beet beer!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    You're a detective on the beer beat

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Ok so this brewery called Wooden Ship has a beer called Soup SZN

it smells like chicken bullion and I swear the fuck I tasted celery in it

It ummm…wasn’t good

• Options
    Ok so this brewery called Wooden Ship has a beer called Soup SZN

it smells like chicken bullion and I swear the fuck I tasted celery in it

It ummm…wasn’t good

Okay but what if you drank it alongside like, cream of barley or something. Reverse chicken and beer meal.

• Options
    Yeah, but your brewers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, but your brewers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

I need to go back and ask them how it happened. I wonder if it was an accident

• Options
    I doubt I would enjoy a savory beer for the same reason I'm not really into sours or spicy or salty beers - I want to drink a beer in order to slake my thirst.

Trying those sorts of beers makes me feel like I need a beer to drink alongside my beer, and that way madness lies.

• Options
    There’s a LOT of sours here.

I love sours

• Options
    I’m going to drunkenly race a T Rex in jeans.

I’m in jeans, not the T Rex

• Options
    Alright the T-Rex won…asshole.

But I just had a Nigerian Stout that was pretty good

• Options
    You mention a T-Rex in the beer thread and I'm just going to assume you're talking about Toppling Goliath's Pseudo Sue