As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] - Harry Kane - Goals: 267, Trophies: 0

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yes, if “it” is absurd pre-tournament over-hyping of a team followed by under achievement
    Their eyes met across a crowded stadium, and suddenly they were the only two people in the world.

• Options
    Nein
    Fishman wrote: »
    I'm going to admit the only reason I watched the game was chronic insomnia (kickoff was 4am) so my mind isn't at it's most analytical, but despite the goals both sides seemed a little tepid. I remember 3 years ago England actually surprised by being enjoyable to watch and... this didn't seem like that team. Germany also just didn't seem to have the same spark of speed and creativity that marked most of the last decade of international competitions.

And yet somehow, I still didn't fall asleep, so....

Not to sound like an absolute bitter but England have been dogshit going forward for the whole tournament, especially Sterling (which I know sounds weird considering he's their top scorer but he loses the ball so often and creates very little, he's just been on the end of some good chance creation)

England have had 10 shots on target across the last 4 games, and 4 of those shots have been from 25+ yards. There's so little play in the opponent's third that I think they'd struggle to break a low block, which they've not really come up against so far. Scotland were the closest thing to that and England only managed one shot on target against them and that was from outside the box.

I've been very impressed by Pickford and Philips, and Maguire was outstanding today, but England's forward line have been dire all competition.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    No again, but secretly you think yes but don’t want to jinx it
    England are not mega exciting to watch. However they have kept a clean sheet and scored some goals. Realistically they have a chance to win the tournament.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Nein
    Solar wrote: »
    England are not mega exciting to watch. However they have kept a clean sheet and scored some goals. Realistically they have a chance to win the tournament.

Netherlands, Germany, and France are out, realistically England couldn’t have a better setup to come it home

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Netherlands, Germany, and France are out, realistically England couldn’t have a better setup to come it home

*Lucy smiles wider, continues to tee up the perfectly innocent football*

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Nein
    again, not to sound like an absolute bitter, but i think uefa/fifa could probably do with tweaking their draws or seedings or however it is they determine who plays who

kinda weird to have Belgium, Portugal, Italy, France, Spain and Croatia in one half of the bracket and Sweden, Ukraine, Denmark, Czech Republic and Wales in the other half

same thing happened in the last WC where you had Uruguay, Portugal, France, Argentina, Brazil and Belgium in one side of the bracket and Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark and Columbia in the other

maybe a draw after the groups and between rounds? Probably a logistical nightmare but the current setup really just ensures that weaker teams have a much clearer run to the final

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Oh for fu-

• Options
    Nein
    Ukraine eh

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Nein
    Sverige!

• Options
    edited June 2021
    OOOOOOOOOOOOH WHAT A BUT

A truly life-saving equalizer. Forsberg the little devil.

Absalon on
  • Options
    Nein
    llqjt3427g9x.png

importantly, my bet for this match is looking VERY healthy thank you emil

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Yes, if “it” is absurd pre-tournament over-hyping of a team followed by under achievement
    A+ new thread title

• Options
    Too many long transversal balls into the goal area, use the attackers and go along the field.

• Options
    Nein
    Weird match. Sweden is playing it very slow.

• Options
    If England doesn't squash the winner of this match Southgate should resign.

• Options
    Nein
    Ouch…

• Options
    Yeah, he was on the ball first but that was an ultra-dangerous intervening foot from Danielsson. Just back home and wait for penalties.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    No
    Swedes trying to waste time to get to penalties.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Nein
    If I were to describe this game, I'd say Sweden are executing a plan to create chances, but Ukraine are playing with the desire to win.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    The word of the day is "grueling".

• Options
    Nein
    Ok, no penalties.

• Options
    Well!

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Nein
    Wow!!

Did not expect today’s outcomes!

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    God-awful.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    right, let's see if I've got this.

Доброго ранку, мої українські друзі

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    No
    That @Tav Touch
    Tav wrote: »
    guten tag mein fellow germans

hej my fellow swedes

• Options
    Nein
    That Tav Touch
    guten tag mein fellow germans

hej my fellow swedes

cor blimey it's caming home so it is!

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Nein
    HerrCron wrote: »
    right, let's see if I've got this.

Доброго ранку, мої українські друзі

воно прийде додому

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    With the way players were going down toward the end seemed whoever won would be exhausted and short on players against England.

Which is of course why it's coming home

• Options
  • Options

• Options
    edited June 2021
    0jhn1u8flfqt.jpg

The remaining matches. We now have two days without football, so carefully draw from your hoarded stockpile of football highlight reels, whether it's Archie Gemmill's jinking run against Holland in 1978, Ray Houghton putting a dipping strike past Italy in '94, or Gary Lineker shitting himself.

Perhaps Sir or Madam would care to peruse the Match of the Day top ten shows, in which Lineker, Shearer and Micah Richards run through various lists of great moments and players from the Euros. It's all very matey but also quite smiley and good-natured.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Hang on that chart is out of date and it's only the England half of the draw, I'll get another sorted.

EDIT: that'll do.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Hahaha yeah wow did we get easy half of the draw.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Nein
    Second tournament in a row, too. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

• Options
    Looking back through previous world cups and hoo boy I forgot how bad it was in 2014. 1 point from the group stages and that was a 0-0 draw with Costa Rica.

• Options
    Nein

howling at the idea that Klopp spends his summers wandering around as a full kit wanker

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Hahaha yeah wow did we get easy half of the draw.

Top job with the social distancing there, too.