As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Queer] thread: A Gay ‘Ol Time

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Happy first day of Pride month! I hope everyone can find some way of celebrating your identity this month in whatever way you find comfortable.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i was gonna hide under the bed and cry but wear my silence=death shirt while i do it

it's a party all the time over here

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I’ve skipped to wrath so uh, let’s do this

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I've been slowly coming out to friends and such, and recently updated my pronouns on my work email and socials, so I might as well do so here as well!

I'm queer and nonbinary (he/they). I guess if I were to split hairs I'd be bi/pan, but queer just feels better to me. I like how ambiguous it is, I feel it matches my general feelings towards sexuality and gender identity.

So hi, nice to have a pride month where I'm actually me.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I shaved my head. Long hair wasnt qorking as intended.
    I regret it.

The good news is even the hair dresser was like "holy shit all this from. 7 months? " so it will rise from the ashes!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I regret it.

The good news is even the hair dresser was like "holy shit all this from. 7 months? " so it will rise from the ashes!

In the meantime how do you feel about wigs? I know some folks who swear by them.

• Options
    I regret it.

In the meantime how do you feel about wigs? I know some folks who swear by them.

I have a couple my head doesnt agree with generic wigs though. Might have to get a custom

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Also, if you are curious, take a look at headwrapping like in the orthodox/modern orthodox/Jewish communities.

I'm revelling in the freedom it's given me, and I can feel like I have long hair without the hassles.

I'm happy to chat about it if anybody has questions.

• Options
    Junelight ButterflyJunelight Butterfly Registered User regular
    Hey thread!

Sometime last month, I finally admitted to myself that I actually am a woman, and not just some weird guy who has desperately wished to be one for a lifetime. Since then I've come out to close family members I trust (which was nerve-wracking, even though it has turned out well), and I have an appointment to see a therapist soon and figure out how to proceed from here.

Even making these first few steps has had an amazing effect on my life. It's like I'm suddenly able to care about my life, my health, my environment, and my future, when for years (going on decades) none of it mattered to me. I'm almost able to see myself as a real person.

Anyway, I don't really have a presence on these forums, but I've been reading through this thread and its previous iterations over the past few weeks, and seeing some of the journeys various people here have taken has been inspiring. Happy Pride month, y'all.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Woo! That's a real familiar tale to I'm sure more than just me on here, please do reach out to us if we can help at all! You got this!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    5whkjnnffmt7.jpg

Speaking of Pride and headwrapping... Managed to pull this one off today and I'm super duper excited about it.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    “Research in laboratory animals shows that behavioral sex differences depend heavily on the effects of testosterone on gene expression in the developing brain. However, in people, it is also likely that many behavioral sex differences depend on socialization as boys or girls. We wanted to test whether gender socialization is the only cause of human behavioral sex differences, or whether testosterone might influence the development of the brain more directly, as it does in other mammals.”

The researchers found that men with IHH tended to have less stereotypically masculine childhood behaviors compared to typically-developing men. In other words, men with IHH were more likely to recall preferring girls as playmates, experimenting with makeup and jewelry, wearing girls’ or women’s clothing when playing “dress up,” feeling less masculine than their peers, and not feeling good about being a boy. This was particularly true among men who also reported undescended testes at birth, a marker of low perinatal androgens.

“We found that men with IHH reported less childhood gender-role conformity than typically-developing men, suggesting that some of the variation in childhood gender-role behavior is due to the direct effects of testosterone on patterns of gene expression in the developing brain,” Puts told PsyPost.

https://www.psypost.org/2022/06/study-finds-early-exposure-to-testosterone-predicts-gender-role-behaviors-in-boys-63250

could someone who is more... scientifically literate... than I am, let me know if they think this study/paper is credible?

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Brolo wrote: »
    “Research in laboratory animals shows that behavioral sex differences depend heavily on the effects of testosterone on gene expression in the developing brain. However, in people, it is also likely that many behavioral sex differences depend on socialization as boys or girls. We wanted to test whether gender socialization is the only cause of human behavioral sex differences, or whether testosterone might influence the development of the brain more directly, as it does in other mammals.”

The researchers found that men with IHH tended to have less stereotypically masculine childhood behaviors compared to typically-developing men. In other words, men with IHH were more likely to recall preferring girls as playmates, experimenting with makeup and jewelry, wearing girls’ or women’s clothing when playing “dress up,” feeling less masculine than their peers, and not feeling good about being a boy. This was particularly true among men who also reported undescended testes at birth, a marker of low perinatal androgens.

“We found that men with IHH reported less childhood gender-role conformity than typically-developing men, suggesting that some of the variation in childhood gender-role behavior is due to the direct effects of testosterone on patterns of gene expression in the developing brain,” Puts told PsyPost.

https://www.psypost.org/2022/06/study-finds-early-exposure-to-testosterone-predicts-gender-role-behaviors-in-boys-63250

could someone who is more... scientifically literate... than I am, let me know if they think this study/paper is credible?

Published in a decent (impact factor 4.9) journal. Kinda low n# for men with IHH (65) but it seems to be relatively rare so getting more participants would likely be difficult. Demographics also skew heavily towards white (80+% of participants) which may actually be a good thing, as they're likely all being raised with more similar ideas of what masculine traits are.

Paper is a little light on data and it's all based on self reporting surveys, but the survey seems well established and cited, it maybe a little dated (first developed in the '77, but I guess that's kinda a good thing since most participants would have been raised in the 70's and 80's, so ideas around masculinity during the time the survey was developed and when the people were raised match up).

All in all seems like a solid, if limited, study that builds off of animal work showing testosterone treatment early in development alters brain gene expression and function to take on typically masculine behaviors.

Edit: TL;DR I'm a post-doctoral researcher, so I have a lot of experience reading and analyzing papers, and this one seems solid if limited by the way you have to do human studies, especially human behavior studies.

Cruor on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    [65] men with IHH, along with 32 women with IHH, 463 typically-developing men, and 1,207 typically-developing women, completed a childhood gender nonconformity questionnaire in which they were asked about their peer preferences, toy preferences, dress-up play, fantasy play, and career aspirations as youth.

This is literally all you need to discredit the entite paper.

-Self assessments are bunk and fail every test of rigor.

-The variability of these group sizes is some clownshoes shit to a degree where if they weren't clearly so embarassingly incompetent that they just took every response they got without trying to set up proper controls, I would accuse them of p-hacking.

Edit: my bona fides are that I have a PhD in genetics.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »

Published in a decent (impact factor 4.9) journal. Kinda low n# for men with IHH (65) but it seems to be relatively rare so getting more participants would likely be difficult. Demographics also skew heavily towards white (80+% of participants) which may actually be a good thing, as they're likely all being raised with more similar ideas of what masculine traits are.

Paper is a little light on data and it's all based on self reporting surveys, but the survey seems well established and cited, it maybe a little dated (first developed in the '77, but I guess that's kinda a good thing since most participants would have been raised in the 70's and 80's, so ideas around masculinity during the time the survey was developed and when the people were raised match up).

All in all seems like a solid, if limited, study that builds off of animal work showing testosterone treatment early in development alters brain gene expression and function to take on typically masculine behaviors.

Edit: TL;DR I'm a post-doctoral researcher, so I have a lot of experience reading and analyzing papers, and this one seems solid if limited by the way you have to do human studies, especially human behavior studies.

Decent impact factor psych journals publish provably false or unreproducible shit all the time, because it is comically easy to prove any point when you use qualitative data (self assessments) for quantitative questions (does a specific developmental environment meaningfully affect gender presentation).

I'm not even going get into their point about trying to compare human gender to other mammals and what a fucking ridiculous proposition that is to use as a starting point.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Cruor wrote: »

Decent impact factor psych journals publish provably false or unreproducible shit all the time, because it is comically easy to prove any point when you use qualitative data (self assessments) for quantitative questions (does a specific developmental environment meaningfully affect gender presentation).

I'm not even going get into their point about trying to compare human gender to other mammals and what a fucking ridiculous proposition that is to use as a starting point.

The bolded is an issue, but like, unless a lot of people get really cool with a lot of unethical shit very fast, it's just kinda how these things go. Also thanks for another perspective! To be fair I'm in immunology and am only really dipping my toe into behavior stuff now, so you're probably a much better resource for this particular topic

Cruor on
  • Options
    Oh yeah to clarify, the intensity of my posts is directed firmly at this paper and its authors, not you - I appreciate your perspective too!

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    [65] men with IHH, along with 32 women with IHH, 463 typically-developing men, and 1,207 typically-developing women, completed a childhood gender nonconformity questionnaire in which they were asked about their peer preferences, toy preferences, dress-up play, fantasy play, and career aspirations as youth.

This is literally all you need to discredit the entite paper.

-Self assessments are bunk and fail every test of rigor.

-The variability of these group sizes is some clownshoes shit to a degree where if they weren't clearly so embarassingly incompetent that they just took every response they got without trying to set up proper controls, I would accuse them of p-hacking.

Edit: my bona fides are that I have a PhD in genetics.

Worth noting that self-assessments are used for a lot of psych research in useful ways. This way seems to be pretty bad admittedly, but a lot of the research into therapy stuff requires self assessment on some level. It is generally frowned on to do more direct brain experimentation in the post WW2 era for very good reasons.

That said this one seems super bad for other reasons. Some of it you have pointed out. With self-assessments it is generally accepted the weak point in your data for figuring this stuff out absolutely is participant responses. You try to make it the best you can get. As a rule that means you don't have them remember information from decades ago. The information is also very unreliable as they are memories the participants have likely recalled a lot over the years at different times which makes them much less reliable than other memories.

It honestly seems like a super dumb way to do this study which is slightly telling ultimately. You are looking for quantitative data so use quantitative data. You can test the hormone levels of children now and have much more reliable data on their gender conforming behaviors. I am always very suspicious of research that seems determined to get their information the worst way. All the papers I have come across that do that are bad.

I am the least qualified with maybe most exposure as I am working on my dissertation for a Counselor Education and Supervision PhD specifically on trans and non-binary stuff.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Happy Pride month, folks!

I tend to be pretty quiet about it, but this past year I've managed to hash out what my whole deal is with a bit more definition, and I’ve landed solidly in camp grey-pansexual. So that’s nice.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Happy Pride Month! I’ve been very busy, today is my last day at my current job and then I’m moving tomorrow. After a lot of encouragement I am also planning on asking the cute enby I’ve been mentioning out. A mutual friend suggested I invite them to a homewarming celebration and ask there and my soon to be former boss gave me a gift card to Cheesecake Factory with instructions to take them to dinner there. I also found out they like Vampire the Masquerade a lot and their favorite clan, so I grabbed them a Non-binary Toreador mug. And a genderfluid Tzimisce mug for myself. I’ve also talked with them about potentially trying out a more feminine name after I move, and they talked about trying a more non-binary name.

Anxious and terrified and excited, but hopefully this all works out.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Cross posting but worth it

7un6nnnodd2f.jpg

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    I have to wake and leave my house by 5:45 am tomorrow morning to get to my FFS.

This is the part I don't like

Also the clinic sent me a post-op advice, and it tickled me that the biggest font warning was
    "DO NOT FORCEFULLY PULL YOU HAIR BACK WHILE WASHING OR
    COMBING"

Because you know, you could suddenly find yourself without a scalp.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Psykoma wrote: »

Also the clinic sent me a post-op advice, and it tickled me that the biggest font warning was
    COMBING"

Note to self stick to wigs during FFS recovery period

King Riptor on
  • Options

COMBING"

Note to self stick to wigs during FFS recovery period

I've bought myself an ample supply of 80s style-inspired headbands

• Options
    So uh apparently my replacement therapist "no longer works with the persad center" and sent emails containing " false information" to her assigned patients.
    I honestly hadnt ever heard from this lady even though she was assigned to me 4 weeks ago( I left several voicemails) and now Im kinda wondering if she was a secret terf or something. Im not gonna ask but I feel like I dodged a bullet. Now I have to wait for them to find a doctor in my network. Yay

My previous therapist had to take a medical leave. I miss him. Also I think Im therapist cursed

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    So uh... we gonna talk about the near miss attack by white supremacists on a pride parade in Idaho yesterday? Cause fuck that is horrifying.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    What I found disconcerting was footage of them being...arrested? And the cops not actively detaining them were standing with their back to the guys, giving the impression that they considered the observers more of a threat than the alt-right chuds.

Like, it seemed like they had everything under control...but still, knowing what we know about cops...

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Jesus the salt from the "journalist" who threatened to out her.

how unfair for you, man.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Lol, I hope that guy is having a terrible day

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    jesus what a classic bully

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    What an entitled puddle of piss that dude is.

I hope he gets a papercut between his fingers before having to handle so many sliced lemons.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    What an entitled puddle of piss that dude is.

I hope he gets a papercut between his fingers before having to handle so many sliced lemons.

but not 4 of them or then he will go to kung-fu universe

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Ahhhhhhhh! Just sent in the remaining balance for FFS. Never been so happy to say goodbye to so much money. I should probably brush up on my language skills now.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    So uh... we gonna talk about the near miss attack by white supremacists on a pride parade in Idaho yesterday? Cause fuck that is horrifying.
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    What I found disconcerting was footage of them being...arrested? And the cops not actively detaining them were standing with their back to the guys, giving the impression that they considered the observers more of a threat than the alt-right chuds.

Like, it seemed like they had everything under control...but still, knowing what we know about cops...

We should definitely be talking about this because fuck those assholes I'm glad they got arrested.

ACAB but as far as the folks facing outward, charitably I'd say if I was bringing in a bunch of officers to arrest a bunch of folks at a big event, I'd bring some officers designated to be perimeter/crowd control whose job was just to turn away anyone who was getting too close from the outside.

But also I would simply not leave an active shooter in a classroom full of kids so wtf do I know about being a cop

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Something that didn't quite come to mind when I thought of FFS:

Man I can't wait to be able to wake up in the morning without dried clumps of blood in my hair

• Options
    Something that didn't quite come to mind when I thought of FFS:

Man I can't wait to be able to wake up in the morning without dried clumps of blood in my hair

Looks like somebody doesnt have a pet wolverine

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

We should definitely be talking about this because fuck those assholes I'm glad they got arrested.

ACAB but as far as the folks facing outward, charitably I'd say if I was bringing in a bunch of officers to arrest a bunch of folks at a big event, I'd bring some officers designated to be perimeter/crowd control whose job was just to turn away anyone who was getting too close from the outside.

But also I would simply not leave an active shooter in a classroom full of kids so wtf do I know about being a cop

What I’ve been hearing is that one of the big deals coming out of this is that it unmasks a big contingent of this group that usually gets shipped in around the country wherever they try to start shit. That alone should be a big aid for anti fascist organizers.