As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Queer] thread: A Gay ‘Ol Time

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    So uh... we gonna talk about the near miss attack by white supremacists on a pride parade in Idaho yesterday? Cause fuck that is horrifying.
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    What I found disconcerting was footage of them being...arrested? And the cops not actively detaining them were standing with their back to the guys, giving the impression that they considered the observers more of a threat than the alt-right chuds.

Like, it seemed like they had everything under control...but still, knowing what we know about cops...

We should definitely be talking about this because fuck those assholes I'm glad they got arrested.

ACAB but as far as the folks facing outward, charitably I'd say if I was bringing in a bunch of officers to arrest a bunch of folks at a big event, I'd bring some officers designated to be perimeter/crowd control whose job was just to turn away anyone who was getting too close from the outside.

But also I would simply not leave an active shooter in a classroom full of kids so wtf do I know about being a cop

What I’ve been hearing is that one of the big deals coming out of this is that it unmasks a big contingent of this group that usually gets shipped in around the country wherever they try to start shit. That alone should be a big aid for anti fascist organizers.

Yeah the feds infiltrated this group wouldn't be shocked if the Uhaul abd masks were their idea to basically make them easier to arrest. Its a rare occasion where they did that and didn't make it worse

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I still haven't come out to my mother, still working on what I want to happen and how and all that.

Comcast tech was here diagnosing an internet problem. I was the one here while they were working, and it became a lot more complicated problem than we thought. My mother returns just as they are leaving, and after a few questions and stuff says, referring to me, "Sh- He'll fill me in on all the details"

Just a normal slip of the tongue, one of those thinking-about-several-things-at-once stutters that happens all the time and means absolutely nothing.

That split second voicing of that pronoun really didn't mean nothing to me. Holy shit I want that to be real.

I gotta figure this out.

• Options
    Junelight ButterflyJunelight Butterfly Registered User regular
    I'm still very new to this myself- I've told my family but I haven't overtly changed anything about my style or presentation. I've reached the point where I feel like my real self internally most of the time, but the thought of asking these people who have known me as a male my entire life to use a new name and pronouns is really daunting. Even though every casual use of 'he' snags at my mind.

Emotionally, I liken it to being stuck behind a car at a traffic light that sits there for just a little bit too long after the light turns green- you feel frustration and rising annoyance, but as you reach out to honk the horn they start driving and you just move on. Except this happens a lot more frequently.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Apparently my nieces got to see their first pride parade this weekend; they're both under 7, but it's never too early to start normalizing QUILTBAG stuff for them in case one (or both) end up under the umbrella.

sig.gif
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I'm still very new to this myself- I've told my family but I haven't overtly changed anything about my style or presentation. I've reached the point where I feel like my real self internally most of the time, but the thought of asking these people who have known me as a male my entire life to use a new name and pronouns is really daunting. Even though every casual use of 'he' snags at my mind.

Emotionally, I liken it to being stuck behind a car at a traffic light that sits there for just a little bit too long after the light turns green- you feel frustration and rising annoyance, but as you reach out to honk the horn they start driving and you just move on. Except this happens a lot more frequently.

It's daunting, but you can do it. You really can. 💜

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My niece Jaden came out of the closet! I don't know the exact specifics but she messaged me on Discord to send me some happy pride stuff for me and my husband (she's very proud to have gay uncles, you know) and was like "oh yeah i don't know my dad told you but i'm gay" and I was like "of course you are you're way too cool not to be." She's starting junior high next year, living in Wyoming, and I hope she has an easier time of it than I did. I already know she's a lot braver than I was at her age, that's for sure!

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Things have been hectic for me. Moved to Rochester, started my new job today. Things unfortunately did not go great with the enby I had been mentioning. They had a partner already, but that should have been fine because they were poly. But apparently they have decided polyamory is not actually for them. Sad, but not much to do.

In better news, I got some new clothes today.
    315i0b5yj9gh.jpeg

Also got a skirt and two other tops. Skirt is a bit hard for me to snap a picture of in my tiny bathroom though.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    That top is amazing and those arm socks are fantastic.

• Options
    Thank you! I was very excited to get them in before Rochester’s Pride celebration (which is apparently in July). Now to hope I have the day of the parade off from my new job. I’ll also have to see if I can work myself up to wearing the skirt with it, a little shy about wearing that outside.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Something that didn't quite come to mind when I thought of FFS:

Man I can't wait to be able to wake up in the morning without dried clumps of blood in my hair
    Wait, hair isn’t supposed to bleed?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    the older I get the harder it is to keep all this gosh dang blood from leakin out my ding dang dermis

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Would that help my hair look fuller?

• Options
    fuller of.. something

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    Thank you! I was very excited to get them in before Rochester’s Pride celebration (which is apparently in July). Now to hope I have the day of the parade off from my new job. I’ll also have to see if I can work myself up to wearing the skirt with it, a little shy about wearing that outside.

Please ignore me if this isn't wanted, but might be worth looking into tights or leggings from Snag of similar.

I have started wearing a lot of skirts lately but I'm still super self conscious about my legs, so wearing opaque tights or leggings has been really helpful for the confidence.

• Options
    Oh no, that is helpful. Leggings or tights did not occur to me at all. I’ll have to look into it.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Whenever I see it I just think it must be some mystery snack; the forbidden sandwich, the taste sensation they don’t want you to try.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I suggested they do a full-length LGBTQ/What's New Scooby Doo parody with SkaTune Network. I hope they see it.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Whenever I see it I just think it must be some mystery snack; the forbidden sandwich, the taste sensation they don’t want you to try.

absolutely delicious for many, not to the taste of others, highly controversial yet totally normal and enjoyed in most of the world, sometimes in secret.

• Options
    Junelight ButterflyJunelight Butterfly Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Venting about my personal life, spoilered for the sensible folks who don't want to read about someone else's dysphoria.
    Edited version with less personal info: My dad is reluctant to stop using my old name & pronouns. I don't feel like I have a right to assert my new true identity until I look the part, but I also don't feel comfortable trying to start changing my appearance until people have gotten used to the idea of me being a girl. Sort of a catch-22.

I get it, he's old and this is apparently a new and confusing idea, but it's been 3 1/2 weeks since I've come out to my parents. I've emailed him some links (The Gender Dysphoria Bible, Philosophy Tube's coming out video) in hopes that learning about it from other sources would be more palatable. He hasn't said whether he's read or watched them yet. I'm sure he'll get there eventually, but right now it really hurts.

My mom at least is much more onboard. Maybe a bit too much-- she's strongly encouraging me to write a coming out email to all of my extended family. I haven't even had my first appointment with a therapist yet. Given how my dad is taking it, I'm not eager to expose myself to the stress of proving my existence to everyone else on top of it. Especially since some of those people are religious & less politically left-leaning.
    On a more positive note, I ordered a bunch of cute clothes online and they've started arriving over the past few days. I'm not about to wear them in public, but just being able to dress in something comfortably feminine behind closed doors feels wonderful.

Junelight Butterfly on
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Went to my first specifically LGBTQ event yesterday. It was a small mixer at a bar that the LGBTQ hub at my work put together, and it was nice just getting to feel like a part of the community. I've always been a bit of an outsider, and wow being amongst so many likeminded people in person is pretty great, huh?

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    A friend posted this on Facebook, and I thought it might bring a smile to your faces:
    I went to see Weird Al last night. Honestly, I wasn't going to post anything about it, largely because I have silently been a judgmental asshat towards people who continue to go to concerts and theaters, despite the continued covid cases and the general lax attitude towards masks. Truth be told, I wasn't sure I was going to go to the show, until I got an email from the venue stating that vax/negative test and mask protocols would still be in place. But that aside, I thought it was worth posting about because of a particular moment in the show.
    Something sunk in while they were performing Albuquerque, arguably my all time favorite of Al's vast library. About 30 seconds before a particular line, it occurred to me for the first time that there is some transphobic bullshit in that song. I braced myself for the line (which for those following along, also involves a Flock Of Seagulls haircut and a singular nostril). And to be clear, he sung the line as it was written. But immediately after singing it, he and the band stopped, in a rehearsed sort of way (which I think/hope would imply that he has done this throughout the tour), and he took a moment to talk about it. He apologized and explained that he thought it was a medical term when it was written, rather than the transphobic slur that it turned out to be. And then he re-presented the line in a way that was still entertaining and flowed right back into where they had just left off.
    And that, my friends, is why I continue to love and support this man. I am not trans, so I can only appreciate this sort of thing from the outside. But I do hope it brings as much joy to trans hearts as it did to mine.

• Options
    y92clc94b7hq.jpeg

Today was Pride in Rochester. Went out like this. It was a little terrifying at first, but I got used to it eventually.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I like the skirt!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    much like tony stark was the rich, substance-abusing celebrity role rdj's life was built for, casting an elderly and slightly effeminate openly gay man like ian mckellen as gandalf was an incredibly deliberate choice

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm curious what you mean by that? I might be lacking sufficient Gandalf knowledge to understand.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Gandalf and Saruman had an intense whirlwind relationship back in Wizard College and they will both tell you that they were the one who was dumped, the other jerk was the one who two-timed around with Radagast.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Sigh

I love my best friend. She's fantastic.

But i'm getting really tired of having to explain, nearly ever visit, about my being demi.

She keeps making suggestions on how hubby and i can try to spice up our love life. Every time that we visit. suggesting sex toys and how she gets herself in the mood by reading free smut books online etc etc.

and I have explained. Repeatedly. Over at least 3 years now how i'm basically under the Asexual umbrella and I don't actually need/want sex advice.

her brain just does not comprehend how anybody could possibly exist without sex. and I'm so tired of having to explain that I just don't want.....

sorry i know in the scheme of things it's a little thing. but it's an annoying little thing

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    My wife is ace, and rarely brings it up because people always want to fix it or insinuate that I must be dissatisfied or bad at sex or something. Her mom, who is and always has been quite promiscuous, can't conceptually grasp it. It's all very weird and we spend a lot of time laughing at ace memes in recompense.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I genuinely couldn't imagine any of my current friends bringing up sex toys or smut books

• Options
    I'm curious what you mean by that? I might be lacking sufficient Gandalf knowledge to understand.

honestly the comparison I was making was I just think gandalf is also an effete elderly gay man, or at the least very queer-coded, like most of the fellowship

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Hey guys I have a question, bit not sure how to articulate, so it it comes off as weirdly phrased, it's probably due to lack of vocabulary.

Is there a term when a TV show or movie "over-corrects" with gayness and turns inclusiveness into spectacle?

For example the new Thor movie, (Which has a lot of problems other than this.) I'll spoiler for those who haven't seen it, and then rant below the fold.
    What the hell did they do to Korg? I mean, I'm all for representation, but the whole thing seemed like "LOOKIT LOOKIT HE'S GAY TOO! (Oh they don't have women on his planet tee-hee!)"
    It just they mentioned the that his race is single gender in almost a throw away line, but in the end his partner has a handlebar mustache? Really? I mean, it didn't seem to add anything to the story and made the whole thing seems like they were trying to make a gay quota, which is gross.

Maybe they could of had Korg mention at the beginning of the move.. "Hey, met a guy. 'nother Kronan. Names, Dwane., he's pretty cool" (shot to a hologram facetime -- another Kronan "Hey, howyadooin") Maybe have them have little chats, or have him along for the ride.. Like Meek, just hanging out. Maybe as opposed to Korg being reduced to a face, have him get hurt and his partner getting really concerned and expressing feelings.

I donno, it just seemed to ham-handed and it actually felt like it took representation back a few steps is all.

halkun on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I think that's just tokenism.

And Disney.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Given the previous 'queer rep' in the Marvel films, probably anything is better than nothing.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Maybe. I always get a little cranky when the queer rep is a weird alien or something. It feels cowardly.

Edit: It's particularly bad when it's like "Here's our non-binary character!" And it's a robot or something.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Maybe. I always get a little cranky when the queer rep is a weird alien or something. It feels cowardly.

Edit: It's particularly bad when it's like "Here's our non-binary character!" And it's a robot or something.

In this case it’s especially weird to me that there was a decent amount of stuff kind of shoehorned in about Korg (and his parents) being gay, while at the same time it was glaringly obvious that a whole lot of Valkyrie’s storyline ended up just getting chopped off awkwardly.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

In this case it’s especially weird to me that there was a decent amount of stuff kind of shoehorned in about Korg (and his parents) being gay, while at the same time it was glaringly obvious that a whole lot of Valkyrie’s storyline ended up just getting chopped off awkwardly.

I saw it dubbed in French and valkyrie was established as being traumatized over her girlfriend’s death. Was that not in the original version?

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    then I guess I'll walk