As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Where we don't click links we don't know even if our friends appear to send them!

• Options
    gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Alright, Cris Tales looks amazingly pretty but I hate the combat. It has that rhythm game "press Z at the right time to deal double damage/parry" thing going on and I just loathe that mechanic. Got to the first boss and lost so hard I uninstalled the whole thing. Anybody who doesn't mind that and has an active Game Pass sub could take a look though, it really does look great.
    I played a recent game that had timed attacks in it, but I forget its name, I also stopped playing said game.
    I also don't really like the mechanic, at least SMRPG and Paper Mario were a little forgiving in the timing department.
    Funny, I love that mechanic. SMRPG and Chrono Trigger ahoy!
    Does Chrono Trigger have timed attacks?
    I know Chrono Trigger is known for the combo attacks (2 or 3 party members attack together).

Just give me a good turn based mechanic (where each individual has their own initiative and atb recharge rate/speed).

:D:D:D:D
    In other news, my new pc is up and running and I am taking recommendations for demanding games to test/push it.
    I own these demanding games: (off the top of my head)
    The Witcher 3
    Control
    Doom
    Metal Gear Solid V
    Tomb Raider
    Deus Ex
    Hitman
    Wolfenstein

Are these resource heavy? (I own them)
    GTAV (thouigh I already played and beat it twice)
    Final Fantasy XV
    Resident Evil 7 (BUT I still need to beat RE6)

Don't own, but I'll acquire in the future:
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Resident Evil 8
    Doom: Eternal

I have a huge backlog, time to get gaming... wait witcher 3 is like 200 hours right... ok, cya in a year.

gBAZ on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Taking suggestions for names for my evil ranger pet boar in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

Barbie Kuesamach

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Anyone else find themselves underwhelmed by every near future FPS they see on steam? Its just hard to feel my heart race when I've killed a fuckton of Russian Ultranationalists, Generic Middle Eastern soldiers, whatever expy they have for Blackwater these days, plus cartels and their legions of highly trained commandos.

I have been done with shooting waves of generic brown skinned insert generic terrorist name here for a while since one of the billion Call of Duty games, where it finally got to the point where it felt like propaganda in FPS form. Now I look for games like Doom Eternal or similar, where you go through blowing up lots of whacky and interesting looking daemons/aliens/monsters etc. I'm just not able to get back into near future shooter anymore. It has no appeal and just makes me uncomfortable.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I want to get in on the wildermyth hype but every time I hear procedurally generated story, I just lose all interest.

The main story in each campaign is pre-set and not randomly generated, but the procedural stuff does become a huge weakness after a while. Eventually you're either clicking through a lot of stuff you already know what it says, mostly to check what the options were again, or you're just escaping to the end of it and picking whatever option you know is the best. It starts out really good and works well, but eventually becomes very tedious and slows the game to a crawl when what you really want to do is just throw rocks at ancient machines.

To be fair, this is only going to be an issue if you're compulsively replaying it. @Dr. Chaos I think the five campaigns it comes with (There's a sixth coming as well) are worth the price of entry givne the quality of writing alone. There's def some fair criticisms to level at the game and how it's structure comes apart at high difficulty levels, but it's still very good.

(Also @Romantic Undead we have a dedicated Wildermyth thread over here! )

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Anyone else find themselves underwhelmed by every near future FPS they see on steam? Its just hard to feel my heart race when I've killed a fuckton of Russian Ultranationalists, Generic Middle Eastern soldiers, whatever expy they have for Blackwater these days, plus cartels and their legions of highly trained commandos.

I have been done with shooting waves of generic brown skinned insert generic terrorist name here for a while since one of the billion Call of Duty games, where it finally got to the point where it felt like propaganda in FPS form. Now I look for games like Doom Eternal or similar, where you go through blowing up lots of whacky and interesting looking daemons/aliens/monsters etc. I'm just not able to get back into near future shooter anymore. It has no appeal and just makes me uncomfortable.

Furries, planet of the robots where you roll your head around, numerous unexploited dark horse comics, something from the heavy metal comics, French sci fi, film noirs everything I listed

Avians and insects to keep Tycho happy

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Taking suggestions for names for my evil ranger pet boar in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

Aporkalypse

Aporkalypse Sow

Sgt. Hulka
    Who can work that one out?

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I have extra codes for Hearts of Iron 4: Cadet Edition, Death or Dishonor DLC and Together for Victory DLC if anybody is interested.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    gBAZ wrote: »

nope

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

nope

I must have confused it with something else. There are definitely more examples, but I really do like that mechanic a lot. It gives more to do in a battle than select attack and watch attack.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Boo, give us a sequel to Quantum Break.

I was mildly surprised how much Control reminded me of Quantum Break, but replacing Remedy's soap-opera humor with "OOOH SPOOKY INTERNET COPY PASTAAAA", which didn't strike me as doing any favors. I remember even less of Control's "story" than I do of QB, and all of it is exclusively "Close up of character's face." It's entirely possible she imagined the whole thing, which I guess is the point.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

In other news, my new pc is up and running and I am taking recommendations for demanding games to test/push it.
    The Witcher 3
    Control
    Doom
    Metal Gear Solid V
    Tomb Raider
    Deus Ex
    Hitman
    Wolfenstein

Final Fantasy XV

Horizon Zero Dawn
    Resident Evil 8

I have a huge backlog, time to get gaming... wait witcher 3 is like 200 hours right... ok, cya in a year.

I'd wait on the Witcher 3 anyways as they are working on an enhanced edition here with more bells and whistles. I'm playing Control right now and it looks amazing with RTX, the combat is pretty boring but the lore is interesting. Deus Ex:HR was pretty short if I remember. GTA V for the PC can be pretty demanding. I enjoyed playing it back on the PS4. I've not played FF15 but it was a benchmark not too long ago, so I think can be demanding. Tomb Raider has also been a benchmark, so I'm sure it's demanding. However I'd heard it's not that great, so I haven't gotten around to playing it yet either. Wolfenstien I played on my last PC, so it's not that demanding.

Personally I'd grab Horizon Zero Dawn the next steam sale. It's demanding on the PC but for me it's a top 5 game from the PS4/XB1 generation.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Played some ROGUE COMPANY and the game. . .isn't bad? It's absolutely generic and brings to mind other games (VALORANT was all up on my headspace while playing), but it is free and plays really well. This was only against bots (who are surprisingly aggressive; not like the OVERWATCH bots) but it still felt fun once you figured out what was going on. Crossplay/progression was definitely a good idea on HR's part too, though I wonder why there isn't an a la carte option for ROGUES like there is with SMITE/PALADINS.
    I'm planning to go full guns ablazing. As much as I would love tanking myself with two blunderbuss or one pistol and shield right up in their faces, not sure how viable that would be so will be mostly building it as DPS and letting Eder do his thing.

You can absolutely roll up with a shield and pistol/blunderbuss. In fact one of the Companions does pretty much that. My current campaign has this character as an off-tank and she does very well.

. . .and the dual-classing in the game is really well done. I was well into a playthrough with my attempt at a Paladin, but then saw some of the support magic skills in the casting class so restarted as a Fighter/Mage and while they aren't unkillable now, they are extremely hardy with some nasty enemy debuffs.
    Can they still do decent damage and hold aggro?

Feels like the long reload time for guns would be insane with heavy armor.

Blunderbuss and shield is a REALLY cool visual though.

Definitely a long reload, however it has AoE and I used a nasty rifle to initiate combat so I never had an issue with disengagements. Not at all practical for all fights (so you're going to want some options in the other weapon set slots) but definitely a fun visual if you're not worried about min-maxing (which you really don't need to be once you get to the point where you're even thinking about doing this).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Hey... Is it December yet?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Hey... Is it December yet?

no but it is christmas, because it's july

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Synthesis wrote: »

I was mildly surprised how much Control reminded me of Quantum Break, but replacing Remedy's soap-opera humor with "OOOH SPOOKY INTERNET COPY PASTAAAA", which didn't strike me as doing any favors. I remember even less of Control's "story" than I do of QB, and all of it is exclusively "Close up of character's face." It's entirely possible she imagined the whole thing, which I guess is the point.

Remedy's games since Alan Wake rely pretty heavily on enjoying the setting to get the most out of them. I loved the SCP-esque setting of Control (plus the dumb Force Unleashed fun of just throwing random stuff at enemies, even if that was 80% of the game's combat in most situations) to the point I wasn't even disappointed about what past as the final "boss" of the base game; I was so invested in the story that the narrative climax from
    the fake credits and dream bits afterwards
    was enough for me to walk away from it satisfied.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Remedy's games since Alan Wake rely pretty heavily on enjoying the setting to get the most out of them. I loved the SCP-esque setting of Control (plus the dumb Force Unleashed fun of just throwing random stuff at enemies, even if that was 80% of the game's combat in most situations) to the point I wasn't even disappointed about what past as the final "boss" of the base game; I was so invested in the story that the narrative climax from
    the fake credits and dream bits afterwards
    was enough for me to wall away from it satisfied.

The faux-Star Wars powers are definitely a highlight of the game, though in my own (probably very unique) experience part of that came from the fact that the "Service Weapon"--feels kind of underpowered (short of lucking out on upgrades, which is either a neat venue for loot mechanics or kind of tedious boring, depending on how you come at it) compared to big, punchy guns that you get in Remedy's other fare. You need to have good powers--well, mostly "launch shit at people"--because the gun's forms are all kind of limited.

(Of course, if you think the service weapon is amazingly awesome, all of this is moot.)

It's probably because I don't follow the whole "SCP" thing that the plot is completely unforgettable (versus the soap-opera-betrayal-time-travel of Quantum Break), since each article of internet creepy pasta lore, taken by itself is...just dumb (to the uninformed like me). And then we get to spend a minute zoomed in on Jessie's face as she ponders said dumb thing, then shares some of her ponderances out loud. It's all much more forgettable versus the gameplay, even by Remedy's standards, but I completely understand that only being my take (as someone who played the game on console and got so bored that they quit before the "final boss" encounter, and is now replaying it on Game Pass on PC).

I'm also not a fan of the death-penalty system, since it's never not annoying to be traveling down a corridor, have three guys with grenade launchers spawn behind you, kill you, then you just respawn with a chunk of your money gone. But I'm a not really a huge fan of the currency and loot-collection arc as applied here (it's kind of a weaker implementation of a loot shooter), to which it's an intrinsic quality. I'd prefer just to respawn at a checkpoint, but I understand why you don't.

All of this is completely subjective, like any other opinion. Taken that, it's not surprising I finished QB and replayed certain levels to get the other plot paths and collectibles, but couldn't be bothered for Control (though I am replaying it now, or at least I was).

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Remedy are the masters of laying the groundwork for an interesting world and then being forced to abandon it immediately.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I've tried getting into Hearts of Iron IV, but I feel like it's tutorial has way too much going on and isn't as good as Crusader Kings which feels straightforward in comparison. Roleplaying the war effort feels really interesting (and the background is easy to understand unlike CK) but the onboarding I just fall off on. Just too much stuff right off the bat.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    My impression of the hearts of iron series is that I really enjoy turning on autoplay/hands off and watching the AI play out the war (possibly playing a bit in the early years to set up certain ahistoric things) but actually trying to play once the war starts I get too bogged down and get bored.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

The Witcher 3
    Control
    Doom
    Metal Gear Solid V
    Tomb Raider
    Deus Ex
    Hitman
    Wolfenstein

Final Fantasy XV

Horizon Zero Dawn
    Resident Evil 8

I'd wait on the Witcher 3 anyways as they are working on an enhanced edition here with more bells and whistles. I'm playing Control right now and it looks amazing with RTX, the combat is pretty boring but the lore is interesting. Deus Ex:HR was pretty short if I remember. GTA V for the PC can be pretty demanding. I enjoyed playing it back on the PS4. I've not played FF15 but it was a benchmark not too long ago, so I think can be demanding. Tomb Raider has also been a benchmark, so I'm sure it's demanding. However I'd heard it's not that great, so I haven't gotten around to playing it yet either. Wolfenstien I played on my last PC, so it's not that demanding.

Personally I'd grab Horizon Zero Dawn the next steam sale. It's demanding on the PC but for me it's a top 5 game from the PS4/XB1 generation.

I think my last DX:HR playthrought was like 40-ish hours :lol:

Mankind Divided is shorter, but still not short.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

The Witcher 3
    Control
    Doom
    Metal Gear Solid V
    Tomb Raider
    Deus Ex
    Hitman
    Wolfenstein

Final Fantasy XV

Horizon Zero Dawn
    Resident Evil 8

I think my last DX:HR playthrought was like 40-ish hours :lol:

Mankind Divided is shorter, but still not short.

I actually have more time clocked in Mankind Divided than HR. There's less in the way of main story missions but the city is dense with things to explore and loot. You don't HAVE to keep breaking into the bank as you steal more company's keycards but why wouldn't you?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Terraria so much more fun and less stressful on a small world

However, my statue farm seems to never drop anything

No time for that now, need to find the queen bee!

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Playing Control, it's a perfect example of what I hated last gen and hope this next gen fixes. Everything looks amazing. With RTX on high, the reflections, light, everything is gorgeous. Then you get to someone talking and I recoil a bit. They look like plastic dolls with mishapened features. Even the main character, who has the most care taken with her model has some terrible animations, particularly after an internal monologue part, her lips twitch out.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Cave Story+ off the backlog. That was good up until the very end where it was Boss battle after boss battle and makes you start over have to to do the whole jump dash part all over again.... pretty good overall. If not for my new Xbox Series X controller I would not have got through that last part.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Valve says it hasn't found a game Steam Deck can't handle
    Even 2021 games are running no problem.

In a new video with IGN, Valve talked a bit more about the technical capabilities of the Steam Deck and its AMD processor, stating that even games releasing this year "have been running without issues."

"We've been looking at various games the past few years in the back catalog, but the real test for us was games that were coming out last year. They just couldn't really run very well on the previous types of prototypes and architectures we were testing," Valve developer Pierre-Loup Griffais said. "This is the first time we've achieved the level of performance that is required to really run the latest generation of games without problems. All the games we wanted to be playable is, really, the entire Steam library. We haven't really found something we could throw at this device that it couldn't handle."

Griffais said that current PC gaming trends that favor high frame rate performance and high resolutions help the Steam Deck, because it means games will easily scale down to its lower resolution 800p display and run at at least 30Hz.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Curious how it'll run next years games when people can actually get one.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    I mean we're still talking about the thing running games at sub 1080P resolutions. That gives a pretty good amount of headroom and is likely why they aren't sweating. . .yet. If the system become viable I can see some DECK optimized patches coming out.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    We're still a few years off from MS/Sony taking the next current gen seriously, so.

Also keep in mind the steam team right there considers 30 FPS an acceptable target for some games. Much like the PS4 it has been compared to. I know that's sacrilegie to some....

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    pretty sure my ancient rig could run next years games at 30fps at 720p.

Computing power matters for high resolution.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Drakengard 3 capped at 3 FPS, so there's that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular

GTAV runs 1080p and 60fps for me, with just an i5, 16gb RAM, and a 1050ti. Settings not all the way up, of course, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I was able to set to Very High or Ultra. Haven't tried out the photorealism mods yet, but I hear some of them make it awfully pretty without a big cost in performance.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    1.) Be very particular about what types of laptops you use
    2.) Buy a new (old) laptop to replace your old (old) laptop
    3.) Install Steam
    4.) Figure out which games will run on your venerable hardware
    5.) Install them
    6.) Figure out which games in your GOG library will run on your venerable hardware
    7.) Install them
    8.) Go through a personal crisis and lack all motivation to play games on your desktop
    9.) Only play games while lying in bed or on the floor of your living room on the laptop for a couple of weeks
    10.) Instead of having 800 games to choose from, you now have 30 games to choose from. No more decision paralysis!

I call this tale "Doctor Thinkpad X220, or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the New Significantly Smaller Backlog".

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    If the steam deck is a big enough success we may see it as a de facto standard for games hardware requirements.

If you know there are a few million people out there that have exactly spec X+Y+Z, it makes sense to target that in your optimization. Which could in turn lead to people making midtier prebuilds/laptops to make sure they clear the steam deck limit, reinforcing the cycle.

I do wonder how proton is going to work with many DRMd games though, unless they are testing everything on custom windows installs. Which is a hidden cost, a windows license is not free, and more expensive for a consumer than for a device manufacturer, but I doubt that Gabe is ever going to make a deal with MS on that....

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    If the steam deck is a big enough success we may see it as a de facto standard for games hardware requirements.

If you know there are a few million people out there that have exactly spec X+Y+Z, it makes sense to target that in your optimization. Which could in turn lead to people making midtier prebuilds/laptops to make sure they clear the steam deck limit, reinforcing the cycle.

I do wonder how proton is going to work with many DRMd games though, unless they are testing everything on custom windows installs. Which is a hidden cost, a windows license is not free, and more expensive for a consumer than for a device manufacturer, but I doubt that Gabe is ever going to make a deal with MS on that....

They've said they're aggressively working towards getting proton able to handle DRMd games for the release, but I have a feeling it'll be a real issue.

• Options
    I'm not entirely sure we want the steam deck to be the "target" for video games in general when you consider that Valve's target for the Steam deck is 800p30.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm not entirely sure we want the steam deck to be the "target" for video games in general when you consider that Valve's target for the Steam deck is 800p30.

If the deck is so wildly successful that it becomes the de facto reference platform, why not? (It will not be that successful, imo)

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

If the deck is so wildly successful that it becomes the de facto reference platform, why not? (It will not be that successful, imo)

If consoles are already the de facto reference platform, how satisfied are PC gamers with those ports?

• Options
    I think if devices like the Steam Deck become popular enough, you may see graphics presets in certain games tailored to that performance level, but 720p30 hasn't been a "target" for game devs for quite some time, and that would be going backwards.

Just build something that scales.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I think if devices like the Steam Deck become popular enough, you may see graphics presets in certain games tailored to that performance level, but 720p30 hasn't been a "target" for game devs for quite some time, and that would be going backwards.

Just build something that scales.

It would actually be nice for minimum system requirements to standarise to a certain output, instead of "It probably won't brick your PC if you open this game".

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

If consoles are already the de facto reference platform, how satisfied are PC gamers with those ports?

Generally, it goes over really well so long as the controls and interface feel good on the keyboard/mouse.

Of course, there's always your typical goose who is going to instantly poop all over something that started on a console, but I tend to remove those opinions from any data set.

This discussion has been closed.