As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars where we are going to fight about that one thing

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    It's Batman logic.

Why does Batman have an obvious symbol right on his chest to shoot for? Why (in some treatments) is it yellow, on gray or black? Because people will aim for that and it's the most armored part of his entire suit.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Well, it does make some sense that if you’ve got a very short supply of your magic impervious metal, you’d use it specifically to make the little center mass targets on your people’s armor.
    Shadowen wrote: »
    It's Batman logic.

Why does Batman have an obvious symbol right on his chest to shoot for? Why (in some treatments) is is yellow, on gray or black? Because people will aim for that and it's the most armored part of his entire suit.

This is The Way

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

Force surfing? Actually, I love it!

• Options
    edited March 2023

recently I found out that Darth Vader's mask in ANH was painted with one side black and one side gray/silver to add depth on screen and now you must reckon with this knowledge as well

They did the GunPla cel shading thing before it was a thing

7y4o8cel0dd1.jpeg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think it's nice that people like Hayden Christiansen and Ahmed Best get to come back in and have nice moments in Star Wars after being shit on by fans for years, but it's probably bad that there's a checklist of people Star Wars has to make good with. Excited for Kelly Marie Tran to get her own Disney+ series in a decade so a bunch of people can pretend they weren't the same people that harassed her off the internet

• Options
    Bad Batch, light spoilers
    holy fuck they rhymed Empire

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Mandalorian S3:E5
    HELL YEAH TIM MEADOWS

EDIT:
    DO NOT TRUST HER

EDIT PART 2:
    You don't cast Katie SaKhoff (sp?) and make her wear a helmet an entire season.

EDIT PART 3:
    Life signs are all in the green. There goes our salvage, boys.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Okay, that episode was more like it. It definitely felt like Filoni doing his Filoni thing, but it was at least well-done Filoni thing.

For the most part, anyway.
    ...does...does Filoni think "snubfighters" was a technical term? And not, like, a derogatory "these peashooters against that thing" type of term?

I also kind of was annoyed that
    the implication was these Mandalorians are very much the "Solo warriors just showing off" types, with Bo-Katan having to lecture them beforehand about how to behave, even about the use of a ship that was designed and built by and for Mandalorians as an armed troop transport to deliver jetpack-equipped Mandalorians warriors...and then they do full special-ops kill team style tactics. Though it was nice to see a little ruthelessness in a good guy, too; damn near execution style kill with the blaster to the back of the head at the start of that battle.

And also that the pirates just obeyed orders? At least until Vane "resigned." ...heh, Vane. He know which way the wind is blowing.

Anyway, these are very much not Imperial/Rebel/Republic regulars, they shouldn't act like it. The Mandalorians should be trying to glory kill these guys. I mean, we saw that half of them were staggering around drunk in the middle of the day. I'm a hack but I might've done something like, they start by being sneaky and doing teamwork, and then they see that almost all the people they have to fight are drunkenly staggering around and are like, "Oh, this is gonna be fun" and just go to town on them in the most "WITNESS ME [kill this guy without taking a scratch on my armor]" manner. Though the Armorer going ham did feel suitably Mandalorian.

Also I know what I just said, but meanwhile the pirates were entirely too coordinated, which made the Mandalorians actually look pretty stupid. That was, as the Simpsons said, a classic pincer maneuver, which can't fail against a ten-year-old, except these aren't ten-year-olds. These are people we've been told excel at small-unit tactics.

Those are small complaints, though, as the actual coordination and fight choreography was great. I had a great time with this episode.

But I was a bit disappointed at the end. Before the "stinger," anyway.
    I was so, so, so hoping that the Armorer would say that, with Mandalore coming back into the light, with them reclaiming their homeworld, with the other clans who didn't follow the ancient way being united with them, the way needed to change, and then remove her helmet for all to see, basically daring the covert to throw her out. But I guess that would be a bit fast.

As for the very definitely final scene, points to Filoni and co.
    I was expecting a bomb to destroy the evidence and possibly any investigators, not a beskar fragment. That was a great twist. Now the question becomes, "was it really Mandalorians, or just another Imp with a stockpile of beskar to use as weapons?" I imagine it will be the latter, given that even the less-orthodox Mandalorians treat beskar respectful and probably wouldn't leave a chunk of it bigger than a fingernail behind. But if they use it to springboard into "hey, warrior culture, a lot of Mandalorians are straight-up assholes," I'd be down with that too.

Very promising rebound after the meh of last episodes. Damn it, Filoni, ya got me again!
    Tonkka wrote: »
    EDIT PART 2:

As to that,
    Sackhoff has said she actually likes the helmet scenes because they allow her to focus on her voice and body language and not worry about what her face is doing.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    On tactics.
    Also I know what I just said, but meanwhile the pirates were entirely too coordinated, which made the Mandalorians actually look pretty stupid. That was, as the Simpsons said, a classic pincer maneuver, which can't fail against a ten-year-old, except these aren't ten-year-olds. These are people we've been told excel at small-unit tactics.
    It's the same problem as in Book of Boba Fett.

They have jetpacks.

Use them.

• Options
    Okay, that episode was more like it. It definitely felt like Filoni doing his Filoni thing, but it was at least well-done Filoni thing.

For the most part, anyway.
    ...does...does Filoni think "snubfighters" was a technical term? And not, like, a derogatory "these peashooters against that thing" type of term?

I also kind of was annoyed that
    the implication was these Mandalorians are very much the "Solo warriors just showing off" types, with Bo-Katan having to lecture them beforehand about how to behave, even about the use of a ship that was designed and built by and for Mandalorians as an armed troop transport to deliver jetpack-equipped Mandalorians warriors...and then they do full special-ops kill team style tactics. Though it was nice to see a little ruthelessness in a good guy, too; damn near execution style kill with the blaster to the back of the head at the start of that battle.

And also that the pirates just obeyed orders? At least until Vane "resigned." ...heh, Vane. He know which way the wind is blowing.

Anyway, these are very much not Imperial/Rebel/Republic regulars, they shouldn't act like it. The Mandalorians should be trying to glory kill these guys. I mean, we saw that half of them were staggering around drunk in the middle of the day. I'm a hack but I might've done something like, they start by being sneaky and doing teamwork, and then they see that almost all the people they have to fight are drunkenly staggering around and are like, "Oh, this is gonna be fun" and just go to town on them in the most "WITNESS ME [kill this guy without taking a scratch on my armor]" manner. Though the Armorer going ham did feel suitably Mandalorian.

Those are small complaints, though, as the actual coordination and fight choreography was great. I had a great time with this episode.

But I was a bit disappointed at the end. Before the "stinger," anyway.
    I was so, so, so hoping that the Armorer would say that, with Mandalore coming back into the light, with them reclaiming their homeworld, with the other clans who didn't follow the ancient way being united with them, the way needed to change, and then remove her helmet for all to see, basically daring the covert to throw her out. But I guess that would be a bit fast.

As for the very definitely final scene, points to Filoni and co.
    I was expecting a bomb to destroy the evidence and possibly any investigators, not a beskar fragment. That was a great twist. Now the question becomes, "was it really Mandalorians, or just another Imp with a stockpile of beskar to use as weapons?" I imagine it will be the latter, given that even the less-orthodox Mandalorians treat beskar respectful and probably wouldn't leave a chunk of it bigger than a fingernail behind. But if they use it to springboard into "hey, warrior culture, a lot of Mandalorians are straight-up assholes," I'd be down with that too.

Very promising rebound after the meh of last episodes. Damn it, Filoni, ya got me again!
    Tonkka wrote: »
    EDIT PART 2:

As to that,
    Sackhoff has said she actually likes the helmet scenes because they allow her to focus on her voice and body language and not worry about what her face is doing.

That last bit is pretty cool
    it’s good to hear a western actor say that; it’s something that a lot of Japanese Tokusatsu have proven for years, which always makes the Hollywood impulse to get your facially-covered character out of their mask or helmet as much as possible so frustrating; there’s more to acting than just the face.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So what's everyone's opinion on the New Jedi Order books?

I was talking about this with my partner the other day, as we periodically do, and I got to wondering what the general response to that arc was, both now and at the time. I was under the impression that it was divisive, leaning towards disliked, but Wookieepedia indicates the writers and those involved in the planning claimed they got a big outpouring of support for it, and even now Reddit (anecdotal, sure) is full of mostly praise

I was stunned to see it, honestly. To me the Vong are some third-rate 40k knockoffs and the 2 or 3 NJO books I read were such a miserable slog as to turn me off the rest, and more or less made me drop the EU altogether. I agree with the sentiment that the EU was stuck in a rut and needed a shakeup but I am honestly baffled that so many people apparently agreed this was the way to do it, and that we needed a 19-book death march to get there

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I was talking about this with my partner the other day, as we periodically do, and I got to wondering what the general response to that arc was, both now and at the time. I was under the impression that it was divisive, leaning towards disliked, but Wookieepedia indicates the writers and those involved in the planning claimed they got a big outpouring of support for it, and even now Reddit (anecdotal, sure) is full of mostly praise

I was stunned to see it, honestly. To me the Vong are some third-rate 40k knockoffs and the 2 or 3 NJO books I read were such a miserable slog as to turn me off the rest, and more or less made me drop the EU altogether. I agree with the sentiment that the EU was stuck in a rut and needed a shakeup but I am honestly baffled that so many people apparently agreed this was the way to do it, and that we needed a 19-book death march to get there

I liked the idea, but it was maybe too focused on the Vong and honestly it's biggest fault was it was supposed to get away from Luke, Han, and Leia being the stars of all the books, but they were still the focus of most of the books unless an author had a pet character that they focused on even as it was supposed to be changing to be about their kids. The quality of the books was also pretty all over the place, which isn't really that surprising for Star Wars books. Aaron Allston and Stackpole had strong showings and Star by Star is probably the single best book from the series, but it does get overwrought with Jacen struggling with his feelings on the force.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That Pirate Cruiser looks so good. Very 70s sci fi Chris Foss

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Overall not great, but also not as awful as a lot of people make it out to be. I think a lot of it is since it's so goddamned many books, it feels like a lot of disjointed narratives mashed together and the constant change in writing makes it hard to chronologically place a lot of things. Also maybe it was just me, but it probably took until after Star By Star until I had a real internal sense and vision of what the Vong and a lot of their ships and creatures were supposed to even look like, not having been exposed to really any 40k before reading it.

It definitely improved towards the end, but for me the best section of the series was probably Enemy Lines through Destiny's Way. Definitely helped by Allston continuing his knack of coming up with fantastic combat twists and tactics, and while Destiny's Way doesn't quite have the same flare for the dramatic, it at least show's the New Republic once again being clever when prosecuting the war. And Traitor is probably just the best book of the series, and perhaps the best Star Wars book period for my tastes.

Though I'm really tempted to reread a bunch of the series, since the part that put me off the most was the New Republic just refusing to address the existential threat and government leadership rather keeping their own personal power than working with people to stop it. Feels like maybe that aged a whole lot better (or worse I suppose) than I would have expected.

• Options

It's very hit or miss for me.

James Luceno's books were, to me, the weakest, which sucks because he wrote the final one, which was also the longest. The final chapter of that final book was, quite literally, a lot of lists of characters who survived. Stackpole stood on his weird soapbox a bit in his books. Allston was easily the most fun, but what else is new?

Other authors did better or worse, but managed to mostly stick to one style, which admittedly makes the series kind of blur together in my mind, and some of the books definitely felt like filler. Even they had their limit, though; originally there were supposed to be 25 novels and they ended up with 19.

A lot of the darkness never touched Han, Luke, or Leia. After Chewie's death, they seemed shockingly resistant to killing off other characters, important or otherwise. They wouldn't even kill off, e.g., the girlfriend of Mara Jade's old boss so I was not terribly surprised when, no, Wedge Antilles did not die despite facing a full squad of Yuuzhan Vong starfighters in an X-wing without an astromech at the end of the Rebel Lines duology. They had to go with old age for Ackbar.

On the other hand, for a long time Traitor was my very absolute favorite piece of Star Wars writing, though I haven't read it in awhile and it might not hold up. (It's Stover, though, so it probably does.)

• Options
    I liked a fair bit of the NJO stuff at the time, because I liked that big things were happening and I also liked that the characters from the Young Jedi Knights books were running around with the adults. I'm definitely not going to revisit them, and I got really annoyed with what they did with the YJK characters over time, so

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    my favorite Star Wars books are and will always be the Han Solo trilogy, in which he grows up, and the Adventures of Han Solo trilogy, in which he fucks off to the Corporate Sector for a while because his girlfriend was getting clingy.

she brought up marriage and the dude literally flew to the other side of the galaxy

• Options
    I read most of the NJO and all the Young Jedi Knights books and a good chunk of the other EU books from before that. I remember maybe 3% of it, and all that Star Wars has made it impossible for me to look at most of the Disney+ series as anything other than like, a higher budget EU, and I'm definitely completely out on reading a new Star Wars book

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I read the entire NJO during my stint at pizza hut in the early 00's and I found that to be an appropriate time and place for it

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    much like all other star wars extended content: it's best enjoyed by people who have devoted the majority of their free time to star wars related endeavors

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    much like all other star wars extended content: it's best enjoyed by people who have devoted the majority of their free time to star wars related endeavors

this is the truest thing I've ever heard said about Star Wars.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    ok, so latest mando:
    how did they move the covert if they have no ship. ships are like fuckin cars in star wars, everyone has a ship

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Why do the Mandos keep calling the Republic pilot "Blue Boy"

There's no blue in the Republic uniform!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I read mo uhst of the NJO and all the Young Jedi Knights books and a good chunk of the other EU books from before that. I remember maybe 3% of it, and all that Star Wars has made it impossible for me to look at most of the Disney+ series as anything other than like, a higher budget EU, and I'm definitely completely out on reading a new Star Wars book

Is NJO that Exar Kun series?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options

I'm guessing red is an Imperial color, so blue became a Republic color.

Alternately Filoni really liked Andor's reference to corporate cops as "blues", so he decided that's just a general derogatory term for cops and coplike entities in the galaxy.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

the new republic's symbol is basically a blue and yellow variation on the rebel crest

alternatively, they keep showing blue stripe x-wings in the credits concept art, which i think is supposed to be the republic paintjob

of course neither of these things have shown up in the show itself afaik, so

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I read mo uhst of the NJO and all the Young Jedi Knights books and a good chunk of the other EU books from before that. I remember maybe 3% of it, and all that Star Wars has made it impossible for me to look at most of the Disney+ series as anything other than like, a higher budget EU, and I'm definitely completely out on reading a new Star Wars book

Is NJO that Exar Kun series?

No, that’s the Jedi Academy trilogy; New Jedi Order takes place years later.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I love seeing more of Paul Sun-Hyung Lee. Love to see a cosplayer I have several mutuals with living the absolute dream.

• Options
    Bad Batch manages to have a finale in which the heroes get absolutely smashed and villains triumphant and good God I need season 3 right now.
    it was also interesting to see how if saw and the batch had worked together, both their plans could have worked, but instead they refused and both of them accomplished fuck all, which I think is nice connection to Andor and its various rebel groups

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Bad Batch manages to have a finale in which the heroes get absolutely smashed and villains triumphant and good God I need season 3 right now.
    it was also interesting to see how if saw and the batch had worked together, both their plans could have worked, but instead they refused and both of them accomplished fuck all, which I think is nice connection to Andor and its various rebel groups
    i think it goes a little deeper than that; the two ultimately had cross goals in mind, to say nothing of their perspectives, which is the ultimate thing that prevented any kind of cooperation. Hunter’s not wrong when he says that taking out those at the meeting won’t accomplish what Saw wants because ultimately they’ll be replaced with new functionaries in their stead because of the way the Empire is set up. With the benefit of being the audience, we can see that anyone outside of the Emperor himself is effectively a cog that can be replaced if need be (it’s practically Sheev’s MO, up to and including his various apprentices).

As part of a larger, concerted strategy to disrupt the Empire while making a push to secure ground and holdings in a larger war? It’d make a lot more sense. But that’s not where the rebellion is anywhere near to at the moment; here any gains they take by killing Tarkin and the others would be wasted and the Empire would crack down even harder in retribution. It’s not enough to strike off a few heads of the hydra, you have to scorch the body thoroughly while you do.

It kind of goes to Saw’s problem as a revolutionary; he’s a fantastic fighter, he’s the guy you want leading a squad, but he’s never been a tactician or a strategist who can see the full picture of what’s necessary for liberation from an oppressive power. He’s the guy you send in to get a job done but he can’t see beyond the mission itself. It was always his sister who had that scope and vision.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Was that who I thought it was in Mando this week?

It sure sounded like Steve Blum!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Yes it was actually that character voiced by Blum!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

Yes it was actually that character voiced by Blum!

He did the mocap work too!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

It reminded me VERY much of a homeworld ship.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

It reminded me VERY much of a homeworld ship.

which were also inspired by 70s sci fi Chris Foss :D

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Rob Cunningham used a lot of 70s inspiration for the HW ships. Like the terran trade authority books.

• Options
    This was a very good star wars week

• Options
    This show is goddamn insane

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Lizzo and Black were good as their characters but man the level of detachment the royals and their entourage had was the most uncomfortable I’ve felt in the show.

Not in a “this is badly made” way, but just that in a galaxy full of countless species spread across an entire galaxy, the most alien feeling thing for me in Star Wars is spending just a few minutes around the privileged elite who get to spend their days drinking weird amphibian secretions at lavish banquets and playing giant arthropod hand croquet, and have the power to just summon you unto their court before you even know they exist.

The fight between Kryze and Woves felt refreshing, normal, and safe by comparison.

Being among the court felt like being in the presence of a particularly overly friendly god who has so little idea of your life beyond what you can do in their service

Also fuckin’ wild politics and lore stuff
    so there’s an entire generation of people out there who are still loyal to the idea of the Confederacy of Independent Systems versus either the Republic or Empire, and haven’t the slightest clue that Dooku was playing them the entire time*

*I mean he was Sith so it’s not out of the question that his own end goal was “take Palpatine’s place and run things his way,” but still.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.