Options

The Olympics is happening innit

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    The IOC do suck, largely. I am not sure what the solution would be mind as sports are pretty corrupt generally it seems and who is going to replace the IOC?

I dunno, FIDE does a pretty good job at doing chess events without rampant corruption and money laundering

What? FIDE are corrupt as hell. They were run by the literary head of a Russian Federation State who had opposition supporters murdered and who channelled money from his State into paying bribes to get re-elected as President of FIDE several times.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Embrace the suck. All drugs. All bribes.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    What major sports organization isn't corrupt as shit?

Major sports? I haven't really heard of any Rugby or Cricket corruption but I imagine it's there. In a sense all sports are kinda corrupt cos basically all sports rely on WADA which is... yeah

Cricket has significant corruption problems, much of which stems from the money flowing around the game in India.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Well there you go

I'd say the only sports that are not corrupt are the ones that have no money

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Speaking of publicity, is it 'true' that the metal for the Tokyo Olympics medals was all salvaged from recycled electronics, or was just enough of it salvaged that they could make the claim?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    The IOC do suck, largely. I am not sure what the solution would be mind as sports are pretty corrupt generally it seems and who is going to replace the IOC?

I dunno, FIDE does a pretty good job at doing chess events without rampant corruption and money laundering

What? FIDE are corrupt as hell. They were run by the literary head of a Russian Federation State who had opposition supporters murdered and who channelled money from his State into paying bribes to get re-elected as President of FIDE several times.

theres basically no evidence of bribery at all and he was likely involved in the murder of a reporter but that's about it

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

theres basically no evidence of bribery at all and he was likely involved in the murder of a reporter but that's about it

This is a real "other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was play?"

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Just some minor conspiracy to commit murder

• Options

This is a real "other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was play?"

I mean, russian satellite state president for like 30 years

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Well there you go

I'd say the only sports that are not corrupt are the ones that have no money

huh

weird how that factor keeps coming up

• Options
    edited August 2021
    The guy was suspended from his duties because no less than the US Treasury said he was dodgy. He was totally corrupt.

Solar on
  • Options
    The guy was suspended from his duties because no less than the US Treasury said he was dodgy. He was totally corrupt as hell.

that was mostly over his relationship with syria

which to be fair, yeah

• Options
    The guy was suspended from his duties because no less than the US Treasury said he was dodgy. He was totally corrupt as hell.

that was mostly over his relationship with syria

which to be fair, yeah

I mean

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Pip unless I am misreading this you are arguing for a dude who you said, has killed a dude and has dodgy relationships to Syria because?

Blake T on
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Pip unless I am misreading this you are arguing for a dude who you said, has killed a dude and has dodgy relationships to Syria because?

I’m saying that solars claims about corruption FIDE were either overblown or outright false. Russian satellite state strongmen can get fucked and I would’ve loved to see Karpov or Kasparov win his seat, but the bribery allegations were unfounded

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    These closing ceremonies are fucking terrible?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Also someone needs to tell the IOC they stole the Captain Marvel reboot slogan. Holy shit they need better people.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    What’s the olympic spokesthing for Paris

• Options

Paris Olympic Slogan for 2024: "Faster, Higher, Stronger. Together"

Captain Marvel

d81qbn1esyyv.jpg

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

This is ten percent luck
    Twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure
    Fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The Olympic motto has been "Higher, Faster, Stronger" for literal decades. I'm confused where they are almost stealing from Marvel.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    The Olympic motto has been "Higher, Faster, Stronger" for literal decades. I'm confused where they are almost stealing from Marvel.

I never knew the Olympics had a motto until literally a few hours ago, but I do read Captain Marvel and I was wrong?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Also someone needs to tell the IOC they stole the Captain Marvel reboot slogan. Holy shit they need better people.

Faster, higher, stronger has been the Olympic slogan for over a hundred years. They just added the together

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I mean, I liked the Closing Ceremony well enough

Appreciated the feature for the Ainu and some classic folk dancing, and I cannot complain about ska getting top billing

Canadian exit wear was top tier, obviously

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I've only been able to watch games in fits and starts so I'm still catching up, even though it's all over.

Hard to pick a favorite thing I've seen so far, but I'd consider it a tie between the men's high jump dual gold, and Neeraj Chopra:

https://youtu.be/YVrjakWtrCo

Wins the javelin easily for India's first track and field medal in 121 years, and their first ever gold. Was confident and passionate throughout, without being cocky or an asshole, showed great class.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »

I’m saying that solars claims about corruption FIDE were either overblown or outright false. Russian satellite state strongmen can get fucked and I would’ve loved to see Karpov or Kasparov win his seat, but the bribery allegations were unfounded

Were they? I doubt that very much.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

This is ten percent luck
    Twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure
    Fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name

https://youtu.be/VjR7JZbdONs

Probably my favorite remix of the bunch, and a lot of it is how much they put that bit forward on it

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    I mean, I liked the Closing Ceremony well enough

Appreciated the feature for the Ainu and some classic folk dancing, and I cannot complain about ska getting top billing

Canadian exit wear was top tier, obviously

The denim jackets are amazing and everyone roasting them on twitter are just haters who don't understand fashion.

• Options
    That’s Canadian formal wear

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I’m real bummed Karate won’t be in the 2024 games, it was a lot of fun to watch. And if it isn’t in the Paris one, as it is popular in France, I’m not sure when it will come back.

• Options
    Maybe they will have that French martial art with all the kicking. Uh, savate?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Maybe they will have that French martial art with all the kicking. Uh, savate?

Brief research says they had it last time Paris hosted the Olympics (in 1924). So bringing it back would be cool.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    The Paris specific sports are gonna be breakdancing, skateboard, surfing and sport climbing.

I am very curious about the breakdancing

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Flarne wrote: »
    The Paris specific sports are gonna be breakdancing, skateboard, surfing and sport climbing.

I am very curious about the breakdancing

Hmmmm

Seriously, which part of the French coast has good/reliable enough wavage for this

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Oh yeah the surfing itself is gonna be in Tahiti I think

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    Oh yeah the surfing itself is gonna be in Tahiti I think

This is accurate.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    France has a lot of very good waves, and was a stop on the world tour for a while - at Hossegor I believe.

I do find it a bit odd they’re sending the surfing to Tahiti, since the wave Tahiti is famous for - Teahupo’o - is an incredibly dangerous wave when the swell is big, to the point you’d need to train there specifically to have any hope.

If they’re not going to run the competition there when it’s big - which they may not for safety reasons - what was the point in having it there in the first place? It may be because being the summer they’re not confident they’ll get the swell in France, but it still strikes me as odd.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Like realistically what needs to happen with the IOC is the same thing as what needs to happen with WADA and FIFA and the IWF and so on. They need to like... stop hiring deeply corrupt people and have better oversight.

They need to regulate the shit out of the bidding over hosting. A country shouldn't be encouraged to bankrupt itself like Greece or build sports infrastructure with slave labor like Qatar.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We were out of town last week so we're catching up on stuff we missed and Artistic (synchronized) Swimming is batshit crazy, I can't imagine something harder that gets taken less seriously by 99% of people.